Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Didn’t even know this was possible.

https://i.imgur.com/UGj5oW8.gifv

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
That is by far my favourite backpack and makes getting to awkward areas a lot easier. It is annoying when it triggers instead of parachute and you splat though.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

So is "damage" as shown on the gun modification screen absolute or relative? I guess what I mean is: I used the free premium credits to buy a sniper rifle called "White Lotus." Modded up it shows it doing more damaged than a similarly modded MBP .50. But from what I remember of the 50 cal sniper rifles in all the other Far Cries, the White Lotus feels like it's doing nowhere near the same amount of damage. Like, I seem to remember the .50 taking out most people with one body shot, and shooting through helicopter windshields, neither of which the White Lotus comes close to. So is "damage" relative-- so the "White Lotus" is doing close to max damage possible for whatever caliber it us, or absolute and therefore will always be better than the .50?

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

That gif was from this video, which is by far the most helpful video I’ve seen. My god I did not know you could hijack cars and trucks Mission Impossible style, not about billboards and vehicle parts. There’s so much more to this game under the surface that’s waiting to be found.

I have been wingsuiting like the video suggests, it really works! All you need is a fast travel point unlocked and you actually have a huge area available to you around it you can airdrop and wingsuit to.

https://youtu.be/MQ7JjzLyCmQ

I am actually quite excited to see this YouTuber channel’s coming video on advanced weapon tips, because there’s a lot more to weapons than I think the game tells you. Even the single EMP round taking down any vehicle thing.. would’ve never guessed.

I have probably played for 5 hours straight without activating the main quest lol. Just going from place to place and side mission to side mission. The game rolls so smoothly from one weird activity to another (La Princesa anyone? FML how sad and weird). I guess I should do the main missions after I do this Spur of the Moment and Yammi (sexual innuendo guerrilla primero) quests.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Aliens pastiche was good.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It says smoke bombs can help you take down tanks, but I've not had any luck. Is there a way to take down tanks without a rocket launcher, or just hiding until your nebelwerfer backpack recharges?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

EMP grenades, the lightning gun, running behind it and shooting out the engine.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Lone Badger posted:

EMP grenades, the lightning gun, running behind it and shooting out the engine.

Oh you can take it down that way, okay cool. I was hoping i could toss a smoke grenade inside if i got on top but no luck there. Though honestly its better just to sneak in, steal the tank and use it take over the checkpoint before they can get into it.

Also i going to assume that if you buy stuff from Jaun's shops, the chest its in is replaced by one of the more rarer crafting materials?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I was wondering why when I jumped I sometimes left some things on fire behind me. Completely missed that one of the Supremos did that.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Given that these are WW2 tanks you should be able to disable them with a well-placed molotov, but that does not appear to be implemented.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
When i take over a vivro factory, Clara says to find a computer with info on it, and both i've take over, i've not found anything like that at all.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

When i take over a vivro factory, Clara says to find a computer with info on it, and both i've take over, i've not found anything like that at all.

Those are optional objectives that you need to complete during the takeover. Once you've liberated the base it stops being something you can do. Not super clear or logical, but that's the way it is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Digital Osmosis posted:

Those are optional objectives that you need to complete during the takeover. Once you've liberated the base it stops being something you can do. Not super clear or logical, but that's the way it is.

I never see a icon for it during the attack, so next time I'll hunt around inside before shooting everyone.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

twistedmentat posted:

I never see a icon for it during the attack, so next time I'll hunt around inside before shooting everyone.

I think the icon might show up when you get close? I don't remember exactly, but yeah you need to do some up-close sneaking. You activate a thingy and then wait for a progress bar to fill up. I kind of like those optional objectives (there's at least one other type I ran across) because they break me of my usual "snipe from a safe distance away" or "sick a ghost cat on everyone I see" play styles.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Kitty companion from the pre order stuff is pretty fun.

Digital Osmosis posted:

I think the icon might show up when you get close? I don't remember exactly, but yeah you need to do some up-close sneaking. You activate a thingy and then wait for a progress bar to fill up. I kind of like those optional objectives (there's at least one other type I ran across) because they break me of my usual "snipe from a safe distance away" or "sick a ghost cat on everyone I see" play styles.

Oh yer that's my normal plan, snipe as many as I can from a distance and then go in and mop up. I should add search around for the files before finishing off the last few people.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

Has anyone gotten the ram or turret for the ride that says they drop from destroying military boats? I keep sailing around killing them with no results. Not sure if I need to touch them before they sink or if I need to figure out some way to destroy them with the turret on the car...

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

spider bethlehem posted:

Apparently the deal with 5 + all the Seed stuff is that the creative director for the game was actually born into the Children of God cult (same one as Rose McGowan) and actually wanted to make the cult the good guys. All the stuff about trump and white supremacy and political satire was opportunistically leveraging the conversation to get eyes on the game - you literally play a cop, after all. And in the end, he basically got what he wanted, Joseph is entirely correct about the outside world and the coming apocalypse. New Dawn even heavily implies that the New Eden faction are the ones who are actually doing the right thing instead of just recapitulating the mistakes of the past.

Huh, weird! Do you happen to have anything more on this-- the name of the guy or an article about his intentions? I know someone who grew up in the Children of God and uh, she hated it. Unless the FC5 guy was a true-believer maybe he was trying to do something sort of personal and scary-- what if this terrifying cult I rejected was ultimately correct? It... didn't really work for me, as I was not raised in a charismatic apocalypse cult, but that does make the choice a little more understandable.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Anyway, I really liked the character, mostly because "Scary Preachers Who May or May Not Be Evil" is one of my favorite character types (hence my avatar). That poo poo is like catnip to me. It would be super awesome if the story surrounding them was really excellent and consistently written and they had a cohesive ideology, but for some reason, IME it's rare to find that level of quality when dealing with characters who aren't explicitly written to be priests/ministers/adherents of a specific real-life Christian denomination.

First off, have you seen the new Netflix miniseries Midnight Mass? Very good, if a little slow at first, features a really excellent performance of that exact character type.

Secondly, I think the reason a lot of characters of that type who aren't a part of an IRL religious group don't work involves something about suspension of disbelief. Religions are such expansive belief systems that anything a character chooses to focus on says something about them, and the audience can think that's organic. So, idk, someone who's Christian but preaches only from Revelations tells us something about their interiority. When the religion is made up by the author, anything they preach is going to be telling us directly about their interiority. Unless the author has them like, discussing "okay so the prophet said all these things but I don't consider these parts canon" (which is weird, but has been done) you end up feeling like the ideology/religious beliefs exist only to let us know what the scary-preacher-cult-leader is like and it ends up feeling a little contrived.

Off the top of my head the stories that do pull that off work with belief systems drawn heavily from New Age / the Western occult tradition. The Master and Lords of Atlantis, and in a less sinister way Lodge 49, all have fictional belief systems and explore the line between inspiration and coercion very well.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

That mission where you rescue the zoomer revolutionaries on that ship is fun.

Took everyone out stealthily to begin with, before the planes turn up and I'm blasting them out of the sky with an lmg while the boat burns around you. Hell yeah.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It seems strange to me that you can disable the only alarm in a base and kill the commander, and you still get endless swarms of reinforcements including helicopter gunships. I thought doing those things was supposed to prevent that.

The lieutenant enemies shoots a flare that calls for backup, so you need to kill them before you get detected.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

So what do you do with all the furs and fish and meat and other things. It seems I can sell them at a place for crafting materials, but am I supposed to use them at a hunting lodge for something else? What even is the purpose of the hunting lodge or other base bits you choose to build? They seem like they’re just places to buy locations for things and nothing actually functional.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The cantina lets you trade meat for buffs.
The tunnel network gives you a bunch of fast-travel points. Side benefit is getting all the security systems on military bases marked for you.
The garrison and barracks are shops. Side benefits are that the garrison means random blues in the region will be better armed, barracks gives a bonus to your bandidos operations.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
er what do you do with the banditos, i see i can deploy them but nfi what it does

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aware posted:

er what do you do with the banditos, i see i can deploy them but nfi what it does

Once the timer is up you return to the noticeboard to run through a quick minigame. You can get materials, money and weapons.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't

spider bethlehem posted:

Finding out you don't have to rebuy weapon mods within a category really opened the game up for me.

There's an extremely good multiple grenade launcher in northwestern Madrugada that has solved most of my armored vehicle problems. Pair it with the pistol that reloads all of your weapons for you. The reloading animation is real real slow and if you interrupt it you only get as many chambers as you filled.

Apparently the deal with 5 + all the Seed stuff is that the creative director for the game was actually born into the Children of God cult (same one as Rose McGowan) and actually wanted to make the cult the good guys. All the stuff about trump and white supremacy and political satire was opportunistically leveraging the conversation to get eyes on the game - you literally play a cop, after all. And in the end, he basically got what he wanted, Joseph is entirely correct about the outside world and the coming apocalypse. New Dawn even heavily implies that the New Eden faction are the ones who are actually doing the right thing instead of just recapitulating the mistakes of the past.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard an enemy bark calling Dani a gusano.

Do you have a link to an article, video, or sound clip regarding the director?

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

GentlemanGiant posted:

Has anyone gotten the ram or turret for the ride that says they drop from destroying military boats? I keep sailing around killing them with no results. Not sure if I need to touch them before they sink or if I need to figure out some way to destroy them with the turret on the car...

Yep you have to touch them, same as getting upgrades from trucks and tanks. They'll subtly flash once destroyed if they've got anything.

Aware posted:

Click through some options once the timer is up for the absolute fastest way to build up money and resources, seriously it's not even close.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Click through some options once the timer is up for the absolute fastest way to build up money and resources, seriously it's not even close.

This is frustrating as I'm having to run the game with Ubisoft Connect in offline mode otherwise FC6 crashes every ten minutes. The operations aren't available unless you're online.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Oh you can take it down that way, okay cool. I was hoping i could toss a smoke grenade inside if i got on top but no luck there. Though honestly its better just to sneak in, steal the tank and use it take over the checkpoint before they can get into it.

Also i going to assume that if you buy stuff from Jaun's shops, the chest its in is replaced by one of the more rarer crafting materials?

When a Bandido reward is a gun I already have it's been converted to 1 gunpowder and 1 of the Supremo materials.

Since chests are random I bet you get all the gear first before it starts giving you stuff for dupes.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
Another random tip I saw on reddit: You can use the camera to acquire all vehicle types except military. No need to run them back to a pickup location.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Another random tip I saw on reddit: You can use the camera to acquire all vehicle types except military. No need to run them back to a pickup location.

D: wat

I had no idea about this

Edit: Oh dang it's in that 14 tips video, that's awesome!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 12, 2021

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Aware posted:

They run timed 'missions' in real-time to get you resources, so you can kick them off in the morning before work and come home to resources later. MGSV had a similar thing.

it is one of the two ways to earn Monado (other being the nuke run missions)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ubisoft Connect weekly challenges are a 3rd way but that's only like 500 a week.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone on the PS5 having this weird texture glitch where some characters' exposed skin will fade into black and white texture as you move away? It happens every so often, somtimes in cutscenes, and it looks super weird.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

This is frustrating as I'm having to run the game with Ubisoft Connect in offline mode otherwise FC6 crashes every ten minutes. The operations aren't available unless you're online.

Do you mean the special operations from Lola or the Bandidos operations from the board?

Bandidos I don't think you need to be online for?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Do you mean the special operations from Lola or the Bandidos operations from the board?

Bandidos I don't think you need to be online for?

I just double checked, Bandito missions work fine offline.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

When a Bandido reward is a gun I already have it's been converted to 1 gunpowder and 1 of the Supremo materials.

Since chests are random I bet you get all the gear first before it starts giving you stuff for dupes.

Oh i had no idea they were random.

explosivo posted:

D: wat

I had no idea about this

Edit: Oh dang it's in that 14 tips video, that's awesome!

I am going to have to watch this video, seems like lots of hidden mechanics as others have mentioned.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=in8Lc1fA1NA

It’s a shame the full game wasn’t ever done due to lower the expected view counts. Still what’s here is gold.

But they are doing Far Cry 6!

I love Neebs Gaming and yea I wish they had done more FC5 stuff, they released their best clips for 6 just now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA9HGTskovQ

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2021

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
The FC5 docuseries was gold. Thanks to whoever posted that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

spider bethlehem posted:

Finding out you don't have to rebuy weapon mods within a category really opened the game up for me.

There's an extremely good multiple grenade launcher in northwestern Madrugada that has solved most of my armored vehicle problems. Pair it with the pistol that reloads all of your weapons for you. The reloading animation is real real slow and if you interrupt it you only get as many chambers as you filled.

Also I'm pretty sure I heard an enemy bark calling Dani a gusano.

Yeah. It's shame because there are pistols that I like better (the unique gold autopistol with the drum magazine and shoulder stock owns so hard) but the one that reloads all youre weapons is just great. It makes basically all the resolver weapons, which tend to reload very slowly, so much better. But especially the RPGs.

I also never switched from the first resolver backpack, so I always get a free helicopter kill it's only the second or third ones that can gently caress me up. I've had to sit inside a building waiting for my backpack to recharge because I was out of RPG ammunition, that wasn't very fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
double post, weird

Anyways I really like this game, strongest Far Cry game in a long while. There's just so much to do and most of it is genuinely fun. It's challenging without being overwhelming, it can be hilarious on occasion, the map is huge and interesting and the story totally works.

So much better than 5 for me.

Oh and also I did have on question: where do you get... what's it called.. it's like advanced electronics or something like that. It has a different name I can't remember but it's a material you need to upgrade the final slot (ammunition I think) for most of the resolver weapons. Where the heck am I supposed to get that stuff?

Play fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 12, 2021

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

emp rounds on a grenade launcher is an easy way to instakill choppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finster Dexter posted:

The FC5 docuseries was gold. Thanks to whoever posted that

You’re welcome! I also highly highly advise the subnatucia one.