Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

The knockoff Robin Williams is kind of endearing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
If anyone's interested, Ephemeral Podcast released an episode on Herk Harvey today - director of Carnival of Souls and Shake Hands with Danger.

https://www.ephemeral.show/episode/herk-harvey?fbclid=IwAR0VMbyFhCEtyWgUDBQGx7HjHBAFaWQIONFaaLPGee08AMILMbL-poO0RfE

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

If anyone here is a Patron for RiffTrax (Traxian), Mike, Kevin, Bill, Conor, and Sean are doing a Zoom thing on Wednesday where they are playing a custom RiffTrax Quiplash 3 game that was made by me and Matthew J Elliot.

I'm really excited to see how this plays!

I'll post the game code after they finish.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Canned Panda posted:

If anyone here is a Patron for RiffTrax (Traxian), Mike, Kevin, Bill, Conor, and Sean are doing a Zoom thing on Wednesday where they are playing a custom RiffTrax Quiplash 3 game that was made by me and Matthew J Elliot.

Exciting and good luck that it goes well!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
McBain has some awesome stunts and set pieces for a movie where the main character isn’t challenged at all.

Who else is in the game? You can’t do Quiplash without five players right?

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

McBain is like Stone Cold, in that they aren't so much movies as they are a series of movie tropes strung together by a special effects budget.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

By popular demand posted:

This is like the third time I watched Star Games (now free on the YouTube channel) and I was still unprepared for just how stupid it is.
I take back everything I said about Episode One of Star Wars.

I saw it for the first time last night. God, that clown was one of the most obnoxious characters I've ever seen.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Nothing beats the mumbling clown of Christmas circus.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Golden Bee posted:

Nothing beats the mumbling clown of Christmas circus.

Whizzo is just so viscerally unpleasant.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Whizzo is just so viscerally unpleasant.

I really can't tell the difference between Whizzo and a dead crab.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Well you can turn a dead crab into sushi for one thing

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Imagined posted:

I really can't tell the difference between Whizzo and a dead crab.

This is a deep cut reference and I appreciate it.

Also I’m still worried that something’s going to go wrong in Christmas Circus even though I’ve seen it like a half dozen times.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

McBain has some awesome stunts and set pieces for a movie where the main character isn’t challenged at all.

I think what gets me most about McBain is its, theoretically, kind of an ensemble action film but absolutely none of the core buddies except "idealistic guy" dies and his death is what sets off the plot.

Like at least Sons of Katie Elder (another similar garbage movie) some of the Sons die even if John Wayne is in 0 danger at any point.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

You forgot the pilot who shows up with a US fighter jet and then sacrifices himself for vague reasons.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

Canned Panda posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I watched Star Games for the first time and it's one of those annoying movies where I feel like the basic idea was really, really good, but the people making it just didn't have the talent of budget available to make it work. Like, you could make a really fun movie about two kids becoming friends and one turning out to be some runaway space prince who digs Earth because of its entertaining grasp on science fiction. Even the hologram clown thing is a good idea that's just done badly. It's very Flight of the Navigator.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Another Bill posted:

You forgot the pilot who shows up with a US fighter jet and then sacrifices himself for vague reasons.

Thats why I said Core Buddies, pilot guy shows up to die and it bugs me extra because the film is even more "boomers demand slavish respect and never have to face adversity"

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Was it good?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I forgot all about the stream!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

RandomPauI posted:

I forgot all about the stream!

Me too! I was all excited but computer nonsense with my new job derailed my day :(

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Gavok posted:

I watched Star Games for the first time and it's one of those annoying movies where I feel like the basic idea was really, really good, but the people making it just didn't have the talent of budget available to make it work. Like, you could make a really fun movie about two kids becoming friends and one turning out to be some runaway space prince who digs Earth because of its entertaining grasp on science fiction. Even the hologram clown thing is a good idea that's just done badly. It's very Flight of the Navigator.

It's by Greydon Clark, who did "Angels' Revenge" and "Final Justice"!

And god help me, but I find myself actually enjoying "The Teen-Agers" films. Not just Bridget and Mary Jo's riffs, but the actual films themselves.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

They are so foreign to normal movies that they’re interesting and you don’t really know how to go.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4iPl4KcebU
New free short, Magical Disappearing Money where a witch berates grocery store shoppers for not buying the cheapest products available, even when they aren't equivalent.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Davros1 posted:

And god help me, but I find myself actually enjoying "The Teen-Agers" films. Not just Bridget and Mary Jo's riffs, but the actual films themselves.

They land some solid gags and the actors have some real (if old-timey) acting chops, especially among the Lois Laneses. Too bad they grind to a halt every time they foist one of Freddie's songs on us, but that was the style of the time I guess. Definitely fun little time capsules overall.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

New free short, Magical Disappearing Money where a witch berates grocery store shoppers for not buying the cheapest products available, even when they aren't equivalent.

The powdered milk thing still astounds me after all these years and viewings. Who wrote that part?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also a head's up, the Hobgoblins Live Show VOD drops tomorrow.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Why are the breadcrumbs weight not counted? Why are we only measuring zucchini? Where am I?!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm actually all for witches interrupting random shoppers to advise them on home economics.

now if we could just do the same for politicians.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The powdered milk thing still astounds me after all these years and viewings. Who wrote that part?

The powdered milk remains just utterly baffling. Please buy this less nutritious horrible tasting texturally depraved version of something to save fractions of a nickel per gallon.

I swear the entire short was paid for by the powdered milk council

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
All poor people must enter into the abyss of savings

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Some senior congressman told her poor people are just lazy and she turned him into a small lizard!
Granted he looks about the same.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
What the actual gently caress was Shrunken Heads :stare:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Barudak posted:

The powdered milk remains just utterly baffling. Please buy this less nutritious horrible tasting texturally depraved version of something to save fractions of a nickel per gallon.

I swear the entire short was paid for by the powdered milk council

Yeah, the money-saving advice in that short is all over the map and ends up being a great example of why the phrase "pennywise and pound-foolish" exists.

Making your own rice seasoning and buying bulk plain rice? Yeah, OK, that makes sense.

Don't buy pudding in single servings? I suppose that's a good idea if I'm only eating it at home.

Breading your own zucchini? OK, wait a minute...

Powdered milk instead of regular milk? What the gently caress.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
If you're a Traxian and missed the game the other night (like me) they just posted the recording on Patreon!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ignoring teaching the important lesson of how many pints of oysters should be purchased

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
The Hobgoblins live show really illustrated the diminishing rewards of re-riffing MST3K films. Most of the riffs seemed like weaker versions of the same jokes from the MST3K episode. It worked for Manos and Space Mutiny because they were just so strange and goofy to begin with so they could come up with new material, but there's only so many jokes you can tell about a bunch of dullards in a beige room or endless unfunny "comedic" dialog scenes. The only good new bits involved the cranky studio dude because they had been cut from the broadcast episode and the guy playing the studio dude gave a really weird performance.

The short was great, though.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

What the actual gently caress was Shrunken Heads :stare:

Yeah, it is one of those weird ones where the tone is all over the place.

Edit: Looks like the next Youtube release will be the Live version of Night of the Living Dead.

muscles like this! fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 15, 2021

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

To create a plot involving a good guy Tonton Macoute shaman requires either unimaginable stupidity or deep psychopathy.
after watching that movie several times I still can't say which is it.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I don't know what I was expecting that movie to be, but none of that was it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, the money-saving advice in that short is all over the map and ends up being a great example of why the phrase "pennywise and pound-foolish" exists.

Making your own rice seasoning and buying bulk plain rice? Yeah, OK, that makes sense.

Don't buy pudding in single servings? I suppose that's a good idea if I'm only eating it at home.

Breading your own zucchini? OK, wait a minute...

Powdered milk instead of regular milk? What the gently caress.

My favorite YouTube videos are the ones who tell you "Don't buy this business' food! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!" (i.e. "Don't buy a Big Mac! I'll show you how to make one at home that's better!") And then the whole thing turns out to be this incredibly involved, time consuming, and expensive ordeal.