Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Kin posted:

Also, is it worth getting a financial adviser too or are they just gonna tell you to pay off debts and max out your ISA/Pensions or do they tend to lean more into investment advice, etc?

Not worth paying for most of the time no. There's a UK Personal Finance thread somewhere around. They refer to the flowchart from the UK Personal Finance reddit.
That basically says... Emergency fund, pay debts, ISA/Pension. And when buying the ISAs just make sure the lowest fees possible because noone knows how to beat the market in the long term. Buy the market and low fees aka get a Vanguard S&S ISA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

OwlFancier posted:

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjTIFkWJctY

I struggle with it for sure.

The old East Anglian accent is pretty similar to west country. This is how my nan used to speak and a couple of my aunts have a softened version of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTVwdv9Pzo8&t=121s

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lady Demelza posted:

If I win big on Euromillions tonight

Then it's definitely a fix

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Then it's definitely a fix

I will also buy a wall calendar and impractical small biro with which to cross off the dates so I know what day it is.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
So my company recently issued *completely ridiculous* targets for the pharmacy and my boss, whom I get on really well with and enjoy working with, has resigned over it. loving great.

Savings Clown
May 7, 2007

We all float down here

Kin posted:

How much is your/a mortgage adviser?

We remotgaged a year or so ago and never really consulted anyone. We got contacted by some "the new home group" who then proceeded to really try hard to sell us more aviva insurance products instead of just handling the remortgage. They tried to initially claim that our house value had dropped because they just looked at the average house price on the scheemy estate across the road, but ultimately just said the house was the same value and signed us back up with the same lender.

Remortgaged a couple of times with a really good advisor, didn't cost us anything because he gets a fee from whichever bank gets out business in the end.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

The Saviour posted:

Catching up to the thread today. Wanted to chime in though I'm well behind to say i enjoyed the recent praxiscast episode on Scotpol, and the discussion about the Scottish Greens sliding into mediocrity was really insightful.

what's this about a scotpol podcast?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lady Demelza posted:

If I win big on Euromillions tonight I will pay off my mortgage as the sensible thing; pay for cosmetic surgery as the frivolous thing; and pay to have a baby as the long-term investment.

Also fudge for everyone.

Assuming no big win, I'm up for remortgage next spring, just as the energy price cap increases and the Govt's 'keep prices low to save Christmas' scheme finishes. It's not going to be pretty.

If you do win big on the Euromillions tonight, I will be impressed. The draw is on Tuesday and Friday.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Watching this retrospective on Blair and Brown for some reason and Tony's definitely gotten weirder in his delivery - lots of random Shatner-esque pauses. And its not like he's pausing to think of his next phrase, the pauses appear in the middle of stock idioms like "[Scandal] comes in all. .. ... shapes and sizes"

Maybe he was thinking about coming in all something else, idk

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I'm loving these side by side comparisons

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Need a player for the British Commonwealth in my space race game, so I'm posting here.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3980882

What exactly is the game, and will I be allowed to use the word "boffins" a lot?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This just popped up on my radar, and I haven't been able to find anything on Twitter about it yet.

Firefighters 'pulling people out of woods and spraying them' at Sheffield Park Hill flats incident

quote:

Firefighters are spraying people down at the scene of a major incident at Park Hill Flats in Sheffield, say eyewitnesses.

Eyewitnesses say there are now around 20 emergency vehicles and the police cordon has been extended, with firefighters having now arrived on the scene.

Police and the air ambulance arrived at the flats earlier this evening. They are thought to have treated a casualty near the flats building.

Since then, it is understood men appeared to have been removed from woods near the flats, and told to strip down to their underwear and sprayed by the firefighters with an unknown liquid.

It is reported a blue tarpaulin has been placed on the road, and firefighters are wearing high visibility clothing.

The people who have been sprayed have then been given ‘orange ponchos’ to wear, said the eyewitness.

e:

It sounds like it might be a Breaking Bad incident...

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 11, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Could be Kwasi Kwarteng's small modular reactors off to a strong start.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

fuctifino posted:

I dunno, I think I saw that X-Files episode and it didn't end well for Krycek

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/VirtualAstro/status/1447624755398549505

Major geomagnetic activity tonight that might result in visible northern lights as far south as the Humber.

Oh and also could result in the complete breakdown of the electrical grid but at least you'll have something to look at before the hordes arrive.

e: This and the story from Sheffield are giving me The Event - or at least one-off British-themed X Files episode - vibes now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Could also be that someone didn't get the memo about not mixing ammonia and bleach.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

fuctifino posted:

This just popped up on my radar, and I haven't been able to find anything on Twitter about it yet.

Firefighters 'pulling people out of woods and spraying them' at Sheffield Park Hill flats incident

e:

Some lad cooking up the old Mustard Gas?

Ricin could be doable but it works best when ingested.

Or do we have a sneaky Novichok event in progress? Crazy Ivan.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/VirtualAstro/status/1447624755398549505

Major geomagnetic activity tonight that might result in visible northern lights as far south as the Humber.

Oh and also could result in the complete breakdown of the electrical grid but at least you'll have something to look at before the hordes arrive.

e: This and the story from Sheffield are giving me The Event - or at least one-off British-themed X Files episode - vibes now

Typical, overcast and wet out. Still never seen the Aurora despite living this far north

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Sad Panda posted:

Not worth paying for most of the time no. There's a UK Personal Finance thread somewhere around. They refer to the flowchart from the UK Personal Finance reddit.
That basically says... Emergency fund, pay debts, ISA/Pension. And when buying the ISAs just make sure the lowest fees possible because noone knows how to beat the market in the long term. Buy the market and low fees aka get a Vanguard S&S ISA.

If anyone is interested in the UK Personal Finance thread in BFC it's here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3887120

Note I need to rewrite the OP a little, was planning on doing so after the budget

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

It's just been reported that the people who were stripping off and being hosed down were emergency response workers.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
I wish someone would strip me down and spray me with a hose. A very very powerful hose

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Speaking of which, BBC radio Sheffield in the morning is basically this thread but on a local level.

Right now they are exposing a scandal over 100k being given to set up four markets, only the only one which has materialised got cancelled last second because no one closed a road. Big issue is that it was a food market so thousands in stock from small businesses got ruined.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

fuctifino posted:

e:

“Chemical incident”

The four officers who entered the flat first are in hospital.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

learnincurve posted:

“Chemical incident”

The four officers who entered the flat first are in hospital.

drug raid and someone threw a bag of fent at them maybe

that or they had a few too many lines of what they were seizing and panicked

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

DesperateDan posted:

drug raid and someone threw a bag of fent at them maybe

that or they had a few too many lines of what they were seizing and panicked

ahhhh you may not be wrong there :lol:. They found a guy in the flat unresponsive, [something happened] and then four police get hospitalised.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Park hill has been featured in BBC radio recently, how lovely and gentrified it is now they've stuck orange panels all over it.

Lol a woman inside talking about how she looks at the scars of former exposed pipes and blockwork and likes to imagine she was poor and had to live in a poo poo hole.

Guess there's still a few hold outs though.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
There's not been a single case of fentanyl poisoning of cops anywhere in the world has there? I know it's a favourite claim of the boys in blue stateside to make the world seem scarier.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Park hill has been featured in BBC radio recently, how lovely and gentrified it is now they've stuck orange panels all over it.

Lol a woman inside talking about how she looks at the scars of former exposed pipes and blockwork and likes to imagine she was poor and had to live in a poo poo hole.

Guess there's still a few hold outs though.

I lived in manor top and on the why and I am ONE HUNDRED PERCENT behind the gentrification of these absolute poo poo holes. Oh my god, just moving the big doctors, Asda and the library directly on the Supertram route from peaks into town is bloody amazing.

Sheffield has a surplus of decent council housing stock run by housing associations so this isn't like London where the poor got forced moved from one terrible situation to a worse one. If richer people want to live in a small flat with no garden then let them go for it, plenty of housing going the Renishaw, Kilamarsh and Eckington end :)

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

Reminds me of the people who loved the Tricorn centre and never wanted it pulled down, but didn't actually live anywhere near it and couldn't smell the piss.

Total Meatlove fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Oct 12, 2021

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
I lucked into a 5yr fix at 1.64% with First Direct just before the 'rona hit and every single mortgage product disappeared. No arrangement fees, no limits on overpaying and no early repayment fees.

More recently I was auto-renewed on my electricity tariff with Octopus - 13p/5p - just before the energy markets went mad and every single cheap deal was pulled.

*Someone* up there currently likes me, so I bought some EuroMillions tickets.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Streets in the sky man, streets in the sky

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Total Meatlove posted:

Reminds me of the people who loved the Tricorn centre and never wanted it pulled down, but didn't actually live anywhere near it and couldn't smell the piss.

1970s vision of a central court with shops and barbers so the people only need to get a lift down to get anything you need quickly deteriorates into many open air toilets and one spar charging £1.76 for an Apple.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/crochetjenny/status/1447811185152299009

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

1970s vision of a central court with shops and barbers so the people only need to get a lift down to get anything you need quickly deteriorates into many open air toilets and one spar charging £1.76 for an Apple.

It makes me wonder what the estates currently being built will deteriorate into. All well and good paying £2m for a 3 bed 2 bath in Battersea now, but when the only human level thing in the place is a lovely plaza with planting what happens when it goes?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

if I win the jackpot, anyone who can get to heathrow with a passport and a toothbrush can come to las vegas to immediately lose it all

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Gambling is bad and you shouldn't waste your lottery winnings on it imho.

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

kecske posted:

if I win the jackpot, anyone who can get to heathrow with a passport and a toothbrush can come to las vegas to immediately lose it all

But.. what if you *win* in Vegas?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Just stuck £20 on various horse races today because gamblings great everyone should do it more often *

*this Ppb was paid for by the Labour Party

** I'm the guy in the Limmy sketch that spends all of the family holiday money on booze and online bingo

keep punching joe fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Horse racing is great because sometimes you get to shoot the horses and steal their horse drugs.
- K, 59