Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Blockade posted:

I live in cook county, transit is okay assuming you want to go from the outer wards to the loop, or vis versa. If you want to go between wards well gently caress you then.

There was supposed to be a blue line express train but it got scrapped and public funds used to pay for a underground tunnel from Ol Musky (https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-elon-musk-hyperloop-las-vegas-20201014-asq4yai5qvdkhlhxfzyahq6sm4-story.html), but it didnt work out for obvious reasons.

However, Chicago is spending money on having a helicopter tax service from the loop to O'Hare, richies only (https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-biz-helicopter-chicago-ohare-air-taxi-blade-20210218-5h365f5zcjfr7idayjektlpmfa-story.html)

I was wondering about living right downtown (east of 90, where the two rivers join up - river north neighborhood?). is there anything in terms of daily tasks/errands you couldn't just easily walk to?

looks like all the above ground subways converge just south of that

edit: if you lived anywhere near that rectangle wher ethey all converge, that seems like it would make being car-free pretty easy. you have blue to o'hare, orange to midway, and one going north and south. and I assume there's gotta be plenty of everything you need for daily tasks given the density in the area.

actionjackson has issued a correction as of 19:30 on Oct 11, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

In my neighborhood the blue line is underground. Well technically it goes above ground between division and Damen, but I was walking down Ashland to division so I didn't see the tracks.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I was wondering about living right downtown (east of 90, where the two rivers join up - river north neighborhood?). is there anything in terms of daily tasks/errands you couldn't just easily walk to?

looks like all the above ground subways converge just south of that

edit: if you lived anywhere near that rectangle wher ethey all converge, that seems like it would make being car-free pretty easy. you have blue to o'hare, orange to midway, and one going north and south. and I assume there's gotta be plenty of everything you need for daily tasks given the density in the area.

The issue is affordability more than walkability. The highest rents in the city are in and around the Loop

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

i loving hate cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTV-wwszGw8

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

his videos are good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42oQN7fy_eM

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Atrocious Joe posted:

The issue is affordability more than walkability. The highest rents in the city are in and around the Loop

yeah I figured, I would just buy a (very small) condo if I ever moved there

I don't have any personal or family connection to the city, but I'm in Minneapolis so the winters would honestly be a bit balmy compared to what we get here

Minneapolis has a huge plan (the removing all single family only zoning was the first part of it) to move towards more anticar infrastructure, but who knows when it will actually happen

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Polo-Rican posted:

even as someone whose brain is 75% "nyc facts," I had no idea washington square park used to look like this

https://twitter.com/GregVann/status/1446990852300029952?t=Ohrr62bA0H2GiU-hlHbEzw&s=19

was also once a potters field. :eng101:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I have a friend in river west in chicago and she sold her car years ago. she doesn't cook though, just eats out every meal. the tech salaries there are pretty dang high

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
what is to be done about cars?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Rexicon1 posted:

what is to be done about cars?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvUI0XG0HwE

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

lil poopendorfer posted:

Maybe this is not the case for all e-bikes but for many, you can’t change a flat yourself which is just :wtc:

Also you have to take them to licensed bike shops or whatever .. not all bike shops will service them so you have to have a e-bike shop nearby or drive to get your flat fixed. Oh and I’m sure it costs extra, on top of the tube/tire. Maintaining the beautiful machine that is a bike is a joy to me, so having a “bike mechanic” would suck

These are fixable problems but atm significant enough to deter me from getting one

I bought a motor and battery and stuck it on my old MTB then put commuter tyres on it, maintenance is identical to that of a regular bike, you just need to take the motor apart every few thousand kms to regrease it? Fitting the motor took about 30 mins. It took me longer to take off my handle bar grips and brake lever to fit the throttle.

Don't buy an ebike, just upgrade your existing bike

I have about 100kms of range with pedal assist and can zoom around at 40km/h for about 25km on the throttle alone

El Pollo Blanco has issued a correction as of 21:16 on Oct 11, 2021

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The L is a okay commuter system along with Metra but to be honest, it is pretty seriously flawed as a modern transit system, not only it is impossible to transfer outside of the loop/downtown but it is also just antiquated and can be aggravatingly slow depending on the line. It makes sense considering parts of it were built in the 19th century.

The real issue is, that despite the obvious need for investment, it just doesn't happen and probably won't because it would actually take Illinois investing billions.

I would say though that is pretty typical of most legacy systems in the US (Chicago/New York/Philadelphia/Boston), they provide some decent coverage since they were mostly already built out by the 1960s, but just kind of get forgotten about except for a drip of investment here and there usually since neither state governments or the fed really give a rats rear end.

Still beats light rail

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:07 on Oct 11, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Car production is being destroyed by the supply chain crises, with chips being particularly hard hit. Plants are shutting down for days at at time because makers don't have the components to finish vehicles. Mechanics trying to service customers are finding some parts are 6+ weeks out on back order. Many dealerships have less than 1/3rd of usual inventory. The price of used cars has risen about 30% over 1 year. Energy prices are also rising rapidly.

The upside is, there will be less driving whether people like it or not. The downside is, my dumbass country is doing nothing to adapt. In the ideal case you have a massive buildout of trains, light rail, bus routes, and bike lanes. Create more walkable neighborhoods with pedestrian streets. That hasn't been happening though. If it's too expensive to drive casually in the future a lot of communities are just going to die because they require cars to get around and have no viable alternatives in place.

I really like trains. Build more trains imo.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Create more walkable neighborhoods with pedestrian streets.

yeah everyone assumes that when people say "i hate cars," they mean "replace cars with trains." that's part of the solution, but the real solution is just building better communities so that more people can go to the bank, get groceries, and pick up a burrito on foot without needing to worry about vehicles at all

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The truck crossed the double yellow, veered the wrong way into a fully separated bike lane, killed a guy and still was not charged by cops

https://twitter.com/StreetsblogNYC/status/1447696918121963523?t=VuKzfGW2k7YmaldxLbmbmQ&s=19

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 01:28 on Oct 12, 2021

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
too many words

gently caress CARS

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

flex-posts don't make a bike lane protected wtf

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

i say swears online posted:

I have a friend in river west in chicago and she sold her car years ago. she doesn't cook though, just eats out every meal. the tech salaries there are pretty dang high

Most places in Chicago are walking distance from a Jewel, and certainly a corner store, I don't have a car and I get by in all seasons without issue. I'm miles from the loop too.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

i say swears online posted:

flex-posts don't make a bike lane protected wtf

Of course it does, it makes it so urban debris like plastic bags used condoms and pigeons get stuck in the posts when being carried around by the wind, safely filtering them out of the bike lane space making bike riding a much safer and satisfying experience for all

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
alexa add car taser to cart

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

flexposts are hilarious because they do literally nothing to prevent car murder but will definitely cause a person on a bike to crash

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
we got a nice new bike lane and people are still riding along the loving road the wrong way :ughh:

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

flexposts are hilarious because they do literally nothing to prevent car murder but will definitely cause a person on a bike to crash

they're great if you like to murder to a beat

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
even if you can't go full train you can keep pushing parking further away from the city center to make a larger and larger good-zone free of most motorized traffic, all of which is limited to 20mph/30kph. delivery vehicles still need to happen but there's few enough of them that a low speed limit won't cause traffic.

we won't, of course, because we're posessed by the cursed ghost of henry "hitler's pal" ford.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Radirot posted:

we got a nice new bike lane and people are still riding along the loving road the wrong way :ughh:

that means thw nice new bike lane is a huge piece of poo poo!!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

that means thw nice new bike lane is a huge piece of poo poo!!

ok but it’s not though. it’s even separated from the road in its own space too for extra safety.

RadiRoot has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Oct 12, 2021

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's just dumb noobs. my first time road biking i thought it would be safer to see the cars coming toward me until a group of lycra-clad cyclists going the correct way bullied me into doing it right. now when i notice cyclists going the wrong way it makes me scared for them, especially for cars turning

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

The upside is, there will be less driving whether people like it or not. The downside is, my dumbass country is doing nothing to adapt. In the ideal case you have a massive buildout of trains, light rail, bus routes, and bike lanes. Create more walkable neighborhoods with pedestrian streets. That hasn't been happening though. If it's too expensive to drive casually in the future a lot of communities are just going to die because they require cars to get around and have no viable alternatives in place.

imo situations like this are actually the worst-case scenario if you want to see cars and car culture die

Acceptance and adaption really needs to come before the shock, because what's going to happen right now is that we're desperately going to try to find ways to keep people in cars because there's just flat out no other alternative for lots of people. And it's going to get tied up with the anti-WFH push, because the current arrangement of many downtown cores is too commuter-centric. Look at how many "get the gently caress back to work" articles are wrapped in fawning language about commutes.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

went out and enjoyed some of auckland's finest painted bicycle gutters this afternoon. not my picture

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

what a shockingly depressing photograph

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

yeah everyone assumes that when people say "i hate cars," they mean "replace cars with trains." that's part of the solution, but the real solution is just building better communities so that more people can go to the bank, get groceries, and pick up a burrito on foot without needing to worry about vehicles at all

You really need trains to do that though, the primary way to create a walkable community is to make the local station the hub of area. Otherwise, you end with ersatz condominium projects that may have a couple businesses that are rarely frequented because everyone is just using cars to do everything (LA).

Also, light rail isn't going to get there because most systems are clearly less efficient than taking a car.

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Sphyre posted:

went out and enjoyed some of auckland's finest painted bicycle gutters this afternoon. not my picture

If you need parking make it so it's shielding the bike path not trapping people in a car death corridor. People will die for this and whoever approved it will face no consequences. Thanks i hate it.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

it sucks that people don't feel comfortable showing up to work sweaty. it'll be 100 degrees for weeks straight in the summer, but we're still supposed to show up as if we've been under A/C from the moment we left our house until we walk into the office

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I work either outdoors or in an unheated/uncooled repair facility so being sweaty at work is not at all a concern of mine and happens whether I like it or not, it’s literally every other aspect of life where I’d rather not be sweating upon arrival (except the gym I guess)

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
it actually rules to show up everywhere via bike. Showing up via bus walking or rail also rules.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

I work either outdoors or in an unheated/uncooled repair facility so being sweaty at work is not at all a concern of mine and happens whether I like it or not, it’s literally every other aspect of life where I’d rather not be sweating upon arrival (except the gym I guess)

I've heard a lot of office workers complain that it would be taboo to show up all sweaty. I'm lucky that my department is full of outdoorsy people who wear their zip-off pants and fishing shirts to work.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

it actually rules to show up everywhere via bike. Showing up via bus walking or rail also rules.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

The problem with buses is they have to share the road with cars, there should be a separate lane for buses only so pedestrians arent punished for the sins of car owners.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

if you hate cars you might like these videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACTp-ebzhP4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21tDxI0eDx4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Blockade posted:

The problem with buses is they have to share the road with cars, there should be a separate lane for buses only so pedestrians arent punished for the sins of car owners.

Waiting for the bus on high-traffic days really sucks. They have GPS and apps now, which is so loving cool, but it's still hard to predict their arrival. Sometimes the dot in the app just doesn't move for five minutes at a time.

Seriously bus apps still blow my mind. You can plan a whole trip with them.