Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

snoremac posted:

https://youtu.be/hSusXnaOh7Q

At 2:10 this is how I got this missile tank as well. But what is the point of the little room to the left of the speed block chute?

There's an alternate, possibly easier, way of doing it involving starting from the left, wall-jumping up, and then sliding all the way across before charging the shinespark. This eliminates the need for tight timing to shoot the blocks and cross the crumbling blocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

SettingSun posted:

Not to spoil the surprise but that post was a picture of the WiiU tablet, which does have those games for download on its shop.

I meant this post from page 1 2:

LODGE NORTH posted:

I have somehow decided that despite having all of the original consoles paired with flashcarts and a MiSTer FPGA and who knows how many emulation handhelds, that the best way to play through the series before Dread drops is on a Switch.

Having a hacked Switch has come a long way, a long long way.

Plan is to play them order with Zero Mission, AM2R, and Fusion on the hacked one, and Super Metroid and eventually Dread on my everyday normal one.

Hadn't actually noticed the Wii U post above :v:

e: doh. Noticed that LODGE NORTH has a separate Switch for hacked stuff - presumably because of the banning issues.

Surprise T Rex fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Oct 12, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Clarste posted:

There's an alternate, possibly easier, way of doing it involving starting from the left, wall-jumping up, and then sliding all the way across before charging the shinespark. This eliminates the need for tight timing to shoot the blocks and cross the crumbling blocks.
I did not know wall-jumping retained the speed boost. Good to know.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

snoremac posted:

I did not know wall-jumping retained the speed boost. Good to know.

You'll almost certainly need that trick for some speed puzzles, or it helps a ton.

Like, I did this one in a really awkward way cause I didn't think to use wall-jumping in speed boost:
https://i.imgur.com/n1xujaX.mp4

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Surprise T Rex posted:

... but for Zero Mission, Fusion and especially AM2R it seems I'm gonna need to emulate.

Just so you know, AM2R is a standalone thing specifically made for PC, not a romhack or anything.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
pretty sure the Ferenia shine spark isn’t possible with using walljump+slide to conserve momentum

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

As I mentioned in my pocket review the one thing I simply did not like about Dread were the environments. It felt like a series of disconnected video game levels and not a planet I was traversing. Even room by room had a lack of cohesiveness. All the EMMI zones were visually identical and shoved into each zone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean all the robot rooms were just long hallways with nothing in them

Which was an odd choice

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Bleck posted:

Just so you know, AM2R is a standalone thing specifically made for PC, not a romhack or anything.

...Oh. I'm learning a lot today. :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean all the robot rooms were just long hallways with nothing in them

Which was an odd choice

They were mazes that you were supposed to lead the robot around in circles in and yet that never happens because you have a single door that you need to exit through and a single path to get out. It feels like they made the maze just to make it easier to do the final kill on the robot, which wasn't even that hard to begin with

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

SettingSun posted:

As I mentioned in my pocket review the one thing I simply did not like about Dread were the environments. It felt like a series of disconnected video game levels and not a planet I was traversing. Even room by room had a lack of cohesiveness. All the EMMI zones were visually identical and shoved into each zone.

The #1 I would like to see in the next Metroid game is a continuous map. With how long the load times are in Dread I think that might be a pipe dream, but I'm going to keep my hopes up. Make me run down a really long corridor or jump up a tall tube to help with loading for all I care, I just want the map to feel as cohesive as the ones in Castlevania games or Hollow Knight.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

They were mazes that you were supposed to lead the robot around in circles in and yet that never happens because you have a single door that you need to exit through and a single path to get out. It feels like they made the maze just to make it easier to do the final kill on the robot, which wasn't even that hard to begin with

At least one EMMI room the doors lock when you get the cannon so you don't even do the maze

Once I wrap up I don't think I'm going to bother trying to speedrun, I'm enjoying the game but I have no real desire to shoot the EMMIs another seven times. Unless there's a bigbrain way around it, I guess

snohax
May 30, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

pretty sure the Ferenia shine spark isn’t possible with using walljump+slide to conserve momentum

Had to dig back a few pages to find the video, but it is in fact possible.

petcarcharodon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEk5BzeUJBE

it took me a bit to find a video of it but I think this is the developer intended way, it's what i did, though i started from outside the shuttle door on the left

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I enjoy how every guide i've goolged about fighting Escue says "it's pretty easy really" and i've been stuck on it for like 2 hours.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

CainFortea posted:

I enjoy how every guide i've goolged about fighting Escue says "it's pretty easy really" and i've been stuck on it for like 2 hours.

Best advice I have for it is to make sure to always be jumping which helps negate 2/3 of its attacks.

Also if you sequence break a little bit and get the screw attack you can just murder it in 2 seconds because it affects it through the stupid electric barrier and just absolutely annihilates it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
How do I avoid that triple tentacle attack on the underwater boss? Jumping doesn't work.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Which one is Escue? I'm pretty bad at 2d platformers but I thought the bosses in this game were pretty fair. They pwn you until you play them enough to learn all the tells, then you can just be patient and no-hit them once you learn everything.

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

How do I avoid that triple tentacle attack on the underwater boss? Jumping doesn't work.

I just tanked it, but apparently you can grapple to the ceiling to avoid it.

Minor boss spoilers I'm a Metroid noob, is Kraid a guy or a species of alien? I thought you kill his rear end in Super Metroid

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Unless I'm confusing it with another boss, jumping does work. Stand by the wall, jump for each of the first two, don't jump for the third.

E: oh the 2nd phase one, yes use grapple

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 12, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

That one has a flash you can counter it iirc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

fadam posted:

Minor boss spoilers I'm a Metroid noob, is Kraid a guy or a species of alien? I thought you kill his rear end in Super Metroid

kraid’s a guy. why he’s on ZDR is a bit of a mystery, but smart money says “clone”

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

fadam posted:

Which one is Escue? I'm pretty bad at 2d platformers but I thought the bosses in this game were pretty fair. They pwn you until you play them enough to learn all the tells, then you can just be patient and no-hit them once you learn everything.

I just tanked it, but apparently you can grapple to the ceiling to avoid it.

Escue's the lightning bug you kill for storm missiles.

Kraid's an individual. Metroid has a habit of bringing him and Ridley back in various ways over the course of the series, usually via cloning or the X etc.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

After beating the first boss in Dread, are you kinda stuck with exploration and have to move on to the second area? All the paths going back to the left seem to be blocked for me and there's this weird fire plant thing blocking the way but I feel like I had tons of left to uncover there.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Oxxidation posted:

kraid’s a guy. why he’s on ZDR is a bit of a mystery, but smart money says “clone”

Post-game gallery stuff shows that Kraid was cloned under Raven Beak's supervision, yeah and a bunch of other stuff for that matter.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

TeaJay posted:

After beating the first boss in Dread, are you kinda stuck with exploration and have to move on to the second area? All the paths going back to the left seem to be blocked for me and there's this weird fire plant thing blocking the way but I feel like I had tons of left to uncover there.

Yeah, that's deliberate. You'll also start cycling through areas a lot more, dipping in and out instead of sort of clearing them like you did with the first area.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah, that's the Metroid style I know and love. I was just thinking it's been a while since I played an actual Metroid game so I was just thinking am I missing something obvious there.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

at 10:07 in this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3tvwSBx3l0&t=607s

Are people just supposed to stumble onto blowing out that wall? Escaping the lower level of the first stage stumped me last night but this is the thing I was missing. Guess I gotta keep an eye out for destructible environment to progress through certain parts

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
yeah the early game has a couple of spots where the only way to progress is through breakable blocks

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

When you first enter Cataris, you find dead ends when you go right because of hot rooms, and you end up needing to go left from the elevator and shoot out a bunch of blocks. It's pretty obvious if you get close enough, but not so obvious that I didn't totally miss it initally.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

There was once or twice I had to just go around shooting every single wall. But it wasn't that often and there was usually a hint that something was beyond the wall.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Oxyclean posted:

When you first enter Cataris, you find dead ends when you go right because of hot rooms, and you end up needing to go left from the elevator and shoot out a bunch of blocks. It's pretty obvious if you get close enough, but not so obvious that I didn't totally miss it initally.

Yeah that really held me up until I just game sensed it and went "okay, the designers gave me this elevator, there must be SOMETHING I can do without dying" and ended up just hitting every wall til I found it.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I just got to Cataris and instinctively went left (because I favor left in Metroid for some reason). I've been looking for destructible blocks since the beginning because of the placement of some items so thankfully it's instinctive. The Green EMMI area is stressing me out, but I"m sure I'll figure it out soon. I tend to zip through as fast as I can to exit the area and then stare at the map for my next destination. I canNOT master that counter so I just run run run.

First boss was fun but I feel like I missed a mechanic. the part where you're supposed to slide under looked like a counter opportunity I never was able to capitalize on.. I was able to beat it regardless on my second try but I feel like the fight would have been more in my favor if I had nailed it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Bleck posted:

It has been ported to a number of platforms including Xbox which is where I played it

Magic Mango
Aug 31, 2006

Only fools are enslaved by time and space.
Just finished it, 100% completion in about 11.5 hours.

I think I’d rate it above Fusion but below Super & Zero Mission. MercurySteam fixed the most annoying issues from Samus Returns and delivered a really solid entry, with really good use of the 2.5D presentation.

I’d like to see more variety in environments in a sequel, as well as new abilities. I liked how Dread messes with the experienced Metroid player by holding out on the morph ball, but the toolkit hasn’t really changed since Super.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I've made it all the way to the third zone but I didn't spend too much time there, but I got wide beam, backtracked to second zone and got morph ball and I guess I have to go all the way back to the first area to explore some more.

Exploring feels really good and Samus controls really well, one thing could've used some more love is the soundtrack. Every place seems to have some variation of Ambient Background Music. I guess it's unfair to compare to Super Metroid, but... also so far every zone looks more or less the same.

Mind you, I've never played the Prime series or the GBA ones not owning the right consoles. Maybe they'll release some kind of version on Steam for the GBA ones someday (along with all those IGAvanias).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Magic Mango posted:

I’d like to see more variety in environments in a sequel, as well as new abilities. I liked how Dread messes with the experienced Metroid player by holding out on the morph ball, but the toolkit hasn’t really changed since Super.
New abilities would be great, though I'm not sure how many there could be? Most of them are based on movement, after all.

Off the tope of my head, I can only think of two -
1) with all the half-flooded sections, I was kinda hoping that ice missiles would be able to create temporary frozen platforms, like in Majora's Mask
2) upgrade for the Phase Shift that gives invincibility frames & the ability to dodge through certain kinds of material

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Dross posted:

It has been ported to a number of platforms including Xbox which is where I played it

Um, okay, thanks for letting me know,

TeaJay posted:

Exploring feels really good and Samus controls really well, one thing could've used some more love is the soundtrack. Every place seems to have some variation of Ambient Background Music.

This was a big complain of mine in Samus Returns and I'm a little sad that it remained the case here as well.

Bleck fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 12, 2021

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

e: oop double

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

CainFortea posted:

When it is walking towards you back up to the wall, then shoot a missle and slide under it when it raises up. When it has the target following you, shoot missiles at its tail until you have to move, then space jump somewhere safe. When it does the multiple targets, space jump over it and shoot missiles at its tail.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm really liking most of the music so far, they're good remixes of the classic tunes. Though, it's hard to pick that out on occasion

Unrelated but the aeion abilities feel pretty half-baked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm a complete idiot and spent half an hour bashing my head against the underwater boss before I looked up a guide which pointed out the big green button next to me.