Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There is a special place in hell for game developers who make twelve minute long dialogue exposition sequences where nothing happens, nothing is revealed, the entire thing is just "Sorry, we can't help," and you can't skip any of it because it's in-game NPCs talking to each other rather than a cutscene.

Looking at you, Guild Wars 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Taeke posted:

I gave it another shot just now and I feel like I was pretty efficient, but still didn't make it. I was just about to get out of my ship and enter the vessel when the loop ended. I was so close.

Y'all saying I've got plenty of time really makes me feel like I'm missing an obvious shortcut. At this point just tell me because this is frustrating.

E:
My route is:
Ash Twin, wait somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes for the sand to recede enough, get the warp core, hop back into my ship and go to Dark Bramble, find the Escape Pod with the signalscope, follow the lights, drop the scout into the seed, follow the duplicate signal to the vessel.

Most time lost is getting to the escape pod and then to the vessel because if I don't cruise slowly the fish get me. Especially that part with the three fish right at the entrance.

You're wasting a significant amount of time.

Once you're done on Ash Twin and you're headed to Dark Bramble, just go into your ship's map and mark the Vessel as your destination. Then just follow the marker, and the only part you really need to cruise is the part with the three fish where you just don't touch the controller at all.

Just set the map marker and follow it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

The best EMMI segment so far has been the final one

At least I think it's the last one. The red one that dies in the cutscene it's introduced in because Samus is a Metroid now

Cue Doom Repercussions of Evil joke

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Cythereal posted:

There is a special place in hell for game developers who make twelve minute long dialogue exposition sequences where nothing happens, nothing is revealed, the entire thing is just "Sorry, we can't help," and you can't skip any of it because it's in-game NPCs talking to each other rather than a cutscene.

Looking at you, Guild Wars 2.

I thought Tree Jesus was always there to help while the player characters are relegated to background roles. It's been a while since I played GW2

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Morpheus posted:

Not only do they show up on your minimap, meaning that running into them through a doorway is pretty hard to do, but when you're pinged by them you see the radius of their 'hearing', allowing you to see what direction they're in.

I think the EMMI only show on your minimap if you're in the EMMI zone, because I absolutely have entered an EMMI zone and instantly died.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

rydiafan posted:

I think the EMMI only show on your minimap if you're in the EMMI zone, because I absolutely have entered an EMMI zone and instantly died.

That’s been my experience. I think they don’t actually spawn at all until you’re in their territory, then it seems to plunk them down somewhere nearby randomly. Which unfortunately can be right in front of the door if you’re unlucky. Thankfully it’s just 10ish seconds or so to get back to the checkpoint right outside if that happens.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

My favorite use of the cloak so far was in the second area, there's a lot of vertical sections where you can cloak and walk off a ledge, instantly zipping past the EMMI and guaranteeing that you can just sprint to the exit.

I really do hate the level design of the three EMMI sections so far, which is I think the intent behind their design. The second EMMI section has areas with doors one map square away from each other that go in the same direction, but go into entirely separate areas with no route connecting them. It's so easy to take the wrong door, get turned around, and have to sneak by the EMMI again. And then the third EMMI section has a positively claustrophobic initial hallway that makes sense the first time you go through, because the EMMI cutscene happens after you reach the end of the hallway and jump up at the u-turn to walk back the way you came, but one level up. Anytime after that, the EMMI can just be in that tunnel, and if you don't walk in already-cloaked it can spot you, instantly closing the exit door and you have nowhere to go.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've realized that my least favorite powerup in all of Metroid is the Speed Booster. And it's bad every time.

I think a good powerup in a Metroidvania is one that makes you re-evaluate the entire game world up to that point because of what you can now do. Unlock the Grapple Beam, and suddenly all those conspicuous blue bits of the map have context now. Get the bat form in Symphony of the Night, and now every room that was too high to see the ceiling of is interesting again. My favorite is Axiom Verge, which is filled with one-tile-wide walls and floors that you don't think about until you get the ability to teleport two tiles away.

But Metroid's Speed Booster can't do that, because it requires an enormous footprint to be useful. You need two screens of clear runway to get it started, and that's way too obvious, every Speed Booster barrier is the most blatant thing on the map, to the point where there's no 'aha, now I see' moment.

...except for when they cram in a loving Shinespark puzzle. Then we hit the opposite problem, where the signs are too subtle to notice if you're not combing every inch of the game map to identify exactly which blocks you have to conduct some wild-rear end multi-angle Shinespark nonsense to break through. They always do that at least once, and it sucks every time.

And for some reason it's only ever the Shinespark that gets those insane 'leap in difficulty' puzzles, too.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I've never been able to 100% Zero Mission because the last 6~ items or so are all locked behind over the top shinespark nonsense and I hate it.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

...except for when they cram in a loving Shinespark puzzle. Then we hit the opposite problem, where the signs are too subtle to notice if you're not combing every inch of the game map to identify exactly which blocks you have to conduct some wild-rear end multi-angle Shinespark nonsense to break through. They always do that at least once, and it sucks every time.

And for some reason it's only ever the Shinespark that gets those insane 'leap in difficulty' puzzles, too.

I don't know if missiles do this in all Metroid games, but Dread has helped out with this a ton by having the melee counter give a bunch of resources. I usually just spam the charge beam at things, but the mix of robotic enemies requiring missiles to damage them + melee counter refilling missiles, I've switched to using missiles all the time and missiles reveal those tiles. I found a shine spark jump in the second area solely because I am using missiles all the time, and melee countering the enemies that fly at you.

I'm still :tinfoil: about a room that's a dead-end, and has an all-resource refill statue. I've spammed missiles and refilled at least four times trying to find a secret, but no tiles are revealed. I've marked it as a "come back here with super bombs" room, but there's no way a dead-end stone-walled room with a refill station isn't telling the player to look for secrets.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gort posted:

I thought Tree Jesus was always there to help while the player characters are relegated to background roles. It's been a while since I played GW2

Treesus died back in Heart of Thorns.

No. I'm talking about goddamn Kormir.

Path of Fire is bad.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I've never been able to 100% Zero Mission because the last 6~ items or so are all locked behind over the top shinespark nonsense and I hate it.

I think I hate Shinespark puzzles because I got Zeor Mission just as the Dpad on my original GBA started dying. The tougest puzzles are still a bitch , but on the semi fresh dpad of a DS or other hardware its much easier.

Also I feel like the EMMI instant death salt would be half as salty if they instead just put you down to 1 HP for the first spike, throw you, and then setup a 2nd chance to (likely)fail another saving throw qte.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cleretic posted:

Something I think is worth remembering about the EMMIs is that, at least as far as I've seen, the game never asks you to do the classic Metroid 'find hidden paths' in their zones while they're around. That means you can plan your trip through their zone before going in, rather than desperately trying to find your way.

People keep saying this, but I've been stuck in an EMMI zone for two days now, I can't find a way out and it's just an inevitable countdown until it catches up with me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Two days? at this point you might as well look up a map of the area online.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I've been playing the castlevania advance collection on the switch, and the controls aren't quite as good as I'd like.

The emulator controls on the LZ and RZ buttons, which are a lot more comfortable to use than the L and R buttons on the switch. It'd be nice to swap the dash over to the more comfortable buttons. Those controls are listed on the control config screen, but for some reason they won't let you switch them

You can remap the attack and jump buttons, but they didn't unlink 'okay' and 'cancel' for menus, so either I keep pressing the wrong buttons mid gameplay or in the menus.

And going from the GBA's d-pad to the switch's analog stick means that I keep wasting my special weapons if the stick is at all tilted upwards.

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 20:07 on Oct 11, 2021

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Tunicate posted:

I've been playing the castlevania advance collection on the switch, and the controls aren't quite as good as I'd like.

The emulator controls on the LZ and RZ buttons, which are a lot more comfortable to use than the L and R buttons on the switch. It'd be nice to swap the dash over to the more comfortable buttons. Those controls are listed on the control config screen, but for some reason they won't let you switch them

You can remap the attack and jump buttons, but they didn't unlink 'okay' and 'cancel' for menus, so either I keep pressing the wrong buttons mid gameplay or in the menus.

And going from the GBA's d-pad to the switch's analog stick means that I keep wasting my special weapons if the stick is at all tilted upwards.

The Switch has a universal button remapping setting.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Samus Returns:

- The lack of any new enemies after the first level.

- The sheer lull of Area 3. There are only 2 upgrades to find and 10 samey metroids to kill. The pacing improves after this point.

- Everything to do with Diggernaut.

- A padded length since there are 150 power-ups instead of 100. All the health-tanks are on the critical path anyway and 3 extra missiles won't mean poo poo.

+ Unlike Super you don't have the airspeed velocity of a pregnant airborne cow.

+ The Shinespark equivalent requires no dexterity at all and is an easily executed secret move.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

thecluckmeme posted:

I don't know if missiles do this in all Metroid games, but Dread has helped out with this a ton by having the melee counter give a bunch of resources. I usually just spam the charge beam at things, but the mix of robotic enemies requiring missiles to damage them + melee counter refilling missiles, I've switched to using missiles all the time and missiles reveal those tiles. I found a shine spark jump in the second area solely because I am using missiles all the time, and melee countering the enemies that fly at you.

I'm still :tinfoil: about a room that's a dead-end, and has an all-resource refill statue. I've spammed missiles and refilled at least four times trying to find a secret, but no tiles are revealed. I've marked it as a "come back here with super bombs" room, but there's no way a dead-end stone-walled room with a refill station isn't telling the player to look for secrets.

Finding the things is less of a problem than... well, this.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1447684850534604802?t=fTRzlb82OxaXVMH-FqUXHA&s=19

And this is an easy one, compared to stuff Zero Mission served up.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Finding the things is less of a problem than... well, this.

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Cupcakes/status/1447684850534604802?t=fTRzlb82OxaXVMH-FqUXHA&s=19

And this is an easy one, compared to stuff Zero Mission served up.

This seems doable, I'm a little leery of the block breaks during falls and the quick turn arounds/slides to get around, but it looks alright.

I'm gonna mistime the jumps for 45 minutes, but I'll get it eventually. At least I know where they are early on instead of trawling the map with a Superbomb in every room. Gotta get that 100% save file

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Two days? at this point you might as well look up a map of the area online.

I should clarify, it wasn't like spending two full workdays dealing with it, more like occasional 10 or 20 minute sessions trying until I got mad and went off to do something else. I also kinda hate looking up walkthroughs for this style of game, it feels like it spoils the point of it, and the maps are so convoluted and similar that I can rarely get up the effort to try and figure out where the hell I am in a guide :effort:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I should clarify, it wasn't like spending two full workdays dealing with it, more like occasional 10 or 20 minute sessions trying until I got mad and went off to do something else. I also kinda hate looking up walkthroughs for this style of game, it feels like it spoils the point of it, and the maps are so convoluted and similar that I can rarely get up the effort to try and figure out where the hell I am in a guide :effort:

it's too late. it is already cemented in goon lore that you spent two full days trying to get past this point, eight hour shifts.

probably took time off work to do it too.

wild.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sally posted:

it's too late. it is already cemented in goon lore that you spent two full days trying to get past this point, eight hour shifts.

probably took time off work to do it too.

wild.

:negative:

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I mean, I don't want to be all "git gud" but EMMI doors are rarely more that a room or two apart. If you just panic run in a random direction you'll find a door or a dead end and die in 30 seconds, and if you die a restart takes 5 seconds and you can run a different direction that time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I know but I've been trying a bunch and I literally can't find my way out of this one. I fully accept that if there's ever a Worst Person At Videogames award I'll be a strong contender.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

As long as DSP is around you won't even be in contention

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Captain DIEgiene posted:

I know but I've been trying a bunch and I literally can't find my way out of this one. I fully accept that if there's ever a Worst Person At Videogames award I'll be a strong contender.

If it's the second real EMMI section, I understand. I haven't picked it back up since my first frustrations in the game, but it's apparently not as complicated as I'm making it and it unlocks a huge movement option for exploring everything else. I'm getting through the EMMI sections better now after having gone through them multiple times to try and find out where I hosed up, only to learn that I missed something simple to beat Level 2 (and I don't want spoilers so I'll go figure it out) but drat do I feel dumb

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Man, this EMMI thing sounds like a way worse Tyrant from Resident Evil. I think Metroid Dread should have a Super Guide and let Luigi play the game for you whenever those come up.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RareAcumen posted:

Man, this EMMI thing sounds like a way worse Tyrant from Resident Evil. I think Metroid Dread should have a Super Guide and let Luigi play the game for you whenever those come up.

I know you're joking but the fact that most big chase monsters in games aren't more like the tyrant or nemesis from resident evil are what I hate most about them. Nemesis and Mr. X would gently caress you up if you weren't good enough to get away; but they didn't just instantly kill you. But since the RE games made that kind of big chase thing popular it's been more common to just make the monster kill you instead which just makes me irritated rather than feel the intensity of the scene. So the robots quickly become more annoying if you aren't good at avoiding them, than they are scary obstacles to avoid. Especially since metroid doesn't usually even do instant death traps.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I really hate going through a long part of an EMMI's lair only to find that I don't have the power up I need to progress so I have to go all the way back. I feel the same about EMMIs that I do of the Xenomorph from Alien Isolation; the first time they kill you breaks the tension and every time after that is just an annoyance.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just started Super Robot Wars V and there are a couple of things dragging it down.

1)I can't find a way to check what some inherent skills do, or what the stats actually affect
2) There is an ever-present dread that either one of my pilots and their mech are going to leave, making upgrading the mech pointless and penalizes letting the pilot get kills, or that the mech is going to get an upgrade but the game doesn't transfer the upgraded stats to the new mech.

I don't know how much of that was an issue in past SRW games, or just an irrational fear from other JRPGs that pull that poo poo that make me want to avoid investing anything into the pilots or their mechs.

Oh, and a minor issue that will probably be solved later on: the enemy planes are just as durable as the enemy mechs. The series is Super ROBOT Wars, not Super PLANE Wars. Let me one-shot the planes.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Randalor posted:

I just started Super Robot Wars V and there are a couple of things dragging it down.

1)I can't find a way to check what some inherent skills do, or what the stats actually affect
2) There is an ever-present dread that either one of my pilots and their mech are going to leave, making upgrading the mech pointless and penalizes letting the pilot get kills, or that the mech is going to get an upgrade but the game doesn't transfer the upgraded stats to the new mech.

I don't know how much of that was an issue in past SRW games, or just an irrational fear from other JRPGs that pull that poo poo that make me want to avoid investing anything into the pilots or their mechs.

Oh, and a minor issue that will probably be solved later on: the enemy planes are just as durable as the enemy mechs. The series is Super ROBOT Wars, not Super PLANE Wars. Let me one-shot the planes.

Upgraded stats always transfer to the new mech unless you keep the old mech, in which case you can shove someone else into it.
https://akurasu.net/wiki/Super_Robot_Wars/V should have explainations for the inherent skills and stats.
also, wild with the planes. i'm playing another SRW rn (og1) and the planes are always deeply one-shottable when they show up.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Isn't V the game where the aliens who have planes at one point are like "and these weirdo Earthlings make their weapons humanoid, what's up with that? Stupid backwards planet" right before you blow up an entire squadron?

Anyway, if you ever lose a unit in modern SRW permanently-for-real and it doesn't transfer over in any way, the game refunds you all money and I think Tac Points spent on upgrading it. Also, you can open a help window for abilities/skills by pressing whatever's left of Start (Select/Options/touchpad) in the stats screen.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The final boss in Metroid: Dread is annoying. It has multiple phases, and the initial phases are easy but extremely bullet spongey. The final phase is actually fairly tough so having to redo the initial phases each attempt feels like a real chore.

Also my final completion time was just under 7 hours, which is pretty short for a $60 game I don't feel much compulsion to go back and play more of after beating it. 47% items found, but backtracking through all that with no fast travel just to increase my already more than sufficient missile and hp stocks just isn't very appealing.

Good game overall but I feel like there are plenty of cheaper, better 'troidemups in the indie space.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The unlockable gallery for Dread has slides depicting moments from previous titles. Unfortunately it acknowledges the existence of Other M.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The unlockable gallery for Dread has slides depicting moments from previous titles. Unfortunately it acknowledges the existence of Other M.

That’s acknowledged right out of the gate the moment Adam begins talking and calling Samus “Lady” (for both Fusion and Other M)

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

That’s acknowledged right out of the gate the moment Adam begins talking and calling Samus “Lady” (for both Fusion and Other M)

I just out some stank on it in my head.

“Look Lady, you gotta kill the fuckin’ EMMI and get your poo poo back alright? I’m just doing my job here don’t start with that poo poo.”

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Holy everliving gently caress I just reached a point in Dread that's gonna make me rage uninstall. Did the game really think the Purple EMMI would be a fun experience with it being able to see through loving walls AND having his zone be underwater so you can't outrun him? gently caress all the defending of the EMMI mechanic I've done so far, this is horseshit. There's no stealth or skill involved, it's just brute force luck.

Didn't help that on the 45th try when I managed to hide in a corner he climbed onto the ledge above me to leave, then when I (still cloaked) stepped a foot forward he randomly turned around and jumped off the ledge onto my invisible rear end for a Game Over.

rydiafan has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Oct 12, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Yeah purple Emmi hard as poo poo. I found judicious use of cloaking to be useful, especially as its vision is moving around. That's also the only time when I ended up draining health while using it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Man I love how folks are just spoiling the poo poo out of this Metroid game but when I posted a plot irrelevant snippet of dialogue from Hades people lost their freaking minds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Randalor posted:

It should be under "Search" I think it is? One of the menu options just shows you every skill, trait and passive in the game. Or at least most of them and tells you what they do. It's not always perfect though. This Site might help, it's generally a good SRW resource.

As other people have pointed out: upgrades usually carry over, and if someone leaves forever you generally get a refund. In some cases you don't even lose the original unit so you can slot someone else into it if it's a gundam or something. Also I'll just be honest: you're never really going to be lacking in tacp or pilot kills once the game hits its stride.