Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Total Meatlove posted:

If Gerrard backs himself to win the league this season, then the winner of the SPFL is almost guaranteed Champions League group stage football next season. I think he stays, has that and then moves on with experience.

I can’t see a future where he isn’t either Klopp’s successor, or at least next in line after that at Liverpool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I don't think Liverpool would hire him without a fair bit of Champions League experience. Whether he gets that at Ranger or Newcastle or wherever I don't think matters, but he does need it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

CyberPingu posted:

Has Scotlands coefficient changed or something? Or do you think they will get through qualifying

Scotland are 11th in the coefficient table. You'd need the winners of the CL and EL to both not qualify for the group stage through their league for the spots not to open up.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

CyberPingu posted:

Has Scotlands coefficient changed or something? Or do you think they will get through qualifying

yes it increased from 14th to 11th last season.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
My guess would be Newcastle hire Favre because they want someone in quick and he's unemployed. On the other hand, comedy option that I saw raised out of the blue in an article on this: Frank Lampard

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

vyelkin posted:

My guess would be Newcastle hire Favre because they want someone in quick and he's unemployed. On the other hand, comedy option that I saw raised out of the blue in an article on this: Frank Lampard

Any club with vertical stripes would be a good fit for Fat Frank

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Gerard should just stay put at Rangers. I’m sure he’s sorted for money and it would be better for him to just stay there and become a legend at another club rather than get thrown into the premier league manager meat grinder. On the other hand though staying at Rangers means staying near Glasgow so it’s understandable that he’s want to get out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

blue footed boobie posted:

Gerard should just stay put at Rangers. I’m sure he’s sorted for money and it would be better for him to just stay there and become a legend at another club rather than get thrown into the premier league manager meat grinder. On the other hand though staying at Rangers means staying near Glasgow so it’s understandable that he’s want to get out.

Totally agree, at least for a while more. He would just end up on the merry-go-round within 18 months.

I love Gerrard, but don't want him anywhere near the Liverpool job until he's somewhat proven at a higher level. It can be very hard to get rid of a manager who is also a club legend.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

For Gerrard's sake he needs a manager in-between him and Klopp. Maybe Linders takes over for a bit

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The dream is obviously that he stays for another 7 years, spearheading the redevelopment in the club and cementing us as one of the CL perennials from outside the top 6, then steps into Liverpool after beating them in an emotional CL final

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
if Klopp isn't replaced by Mini-Klopp then clearly upper management at Liverpool is fundamentally broken

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
klopp's alluded to a break or retirement a few times now...wonder if it makes sense to bring on someone like steve g as a sort of assman/apprentice for his last year and then hand over the reins?

most sports teams don't do it like that but it seems like if you know you have a guy leaving by a certain date it'd be a smart way to go about it

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Mickolution posted:

It can be very hard to get rid of a manager who is also a club legend.

*does subtle head nod motion towards Ole*

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

sticksy posted:

*does subtle head nod motion towards Ole*

wow, enjoy your probe, hater

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

bewbies posted:

klopp's alluded to a break or retirement a few times now...wonder if it makes sense to bring on someone like steve g as a sort of assman/apprentice for his last year and then hand over the reins?

most sports teams don't do it like that but it seems like if you know you have a guy leaving by a certain date it'd be a smart way to go about it

I've spotted the flaw in your logic

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

vyelkin posted:

if Klopp isn't replaced by Mini-Klopp then clearly upper management at Liverpool is fundamentally broken

I refuse to conceptualise this as anything other than, per classic WWF tradition, an actual dwarf in thick-rimmed glasses that does all the moves

and I'm for it

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Liverpool are too Moneyball at the moment to hire Gerrard for largely emotional reasons.

I can't see Favre going to Newcastle mid season. I could more see Hiddink or Avram Grant or someone of that vintage.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
Is there any alternate universe where the next Newcastle manager is Alan Pardew? Because I want to live there

Carrier
May 12, 2009

What's villas boas up to these days, is he still in a slap fight with Marseille?

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
can we win the best player on twitter trophy

https://twitter.com/asaintmaximin/status/1448259754971877387

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
No, but you can have the thinnest skinned cunts award

https://twitter.com/EasyTen/status/1447975581115682824

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
Naw, in the pantheon of embarrassing fan forums Bluemoon, RAWK, Red Cafe, and KUMB are consistently far more cringe than a thread rename.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/1448311468181577732

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I'm beginning to think that expecting Newcastle fans to have any kind of dignified response to being taken over by the literal Saudi state was a little misguided. This is the same set of fans who spent the last 14 years protesting Mike Ashley by meeting up at the pub before the game, and then angrily marching to the ground to pay the that very same owner to let them in, after all.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

an_mutt posted:

I'm beginning to think that expecting Newcastle fans to have any kind of dignified response to being taken over by the literal Saudi state was a little misguided. This is the same set of fans who spent the last 14 years protesting Mike Ashley by meeting up at the pub before the game, and then angrily marching to the ground to pay the that very same owner to let them in, after all.

It's not their fault. They are a particularly stupid set of fans, sure. But any group of fans will have a subset who start apologising for the evils of your regime as soon as you promise to buy them Jesse Lingard. Newcastle, Sunderland, Man City, doesn't matter.

That's why it's a smart investment.

Neutrals were cheering Man City on to win the league over Liverpool. Liverpool winning was considered "Insufferable".

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Oct 13, 2021

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

an_mutt posted:

what the gently caress do you honestly expect us to do

beyond how shallow and empty is to only hear people get mad about this when they invest in football, it's just a pointless conversation

we can hate their human rights record while also wanting to see our team win. they don't go hand in hand

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kcer posted:

what the gently caress do you honestly expect us to do

beyond how shallow and empty is to only hear people get mad about this when they invest in football, it's just a pointless conversation

we can hate their human rights record while also wanting to see our team win. they don't go hand in hand

You've already defended them for a year before it happened. It doesn't matter how unenthusiastic you are about it. You will defend the Saudi regime. That's why they are investing in you, it's not because they give a poo poo about your football team or Mike Ashley, or "local investment". They are investing in you as a fan.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 13, 2021

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Absolutely devastated that we won't get to see steve bruce spunk a billion pounds tbh

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Look at Man City or PSG fans these days ffs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Look at Man City or PSG fans these days ffs.

Unlike Newcastle fans they didn't exist before.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

this but unironically

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
literally laughing out loud that you're again looking to me, a newcastle united football fan, to solve the issue of human rights abuse

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Yeah those are the only two options, either solve the issue of humans rights abuse by yourself, or tacitly support those abuses in the name of your football team perhaps getting into the top 6.

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
in the same way i didn't vehemently insist you buy all your shite from sports direct for the past 14 years, i'm not going to ever say good things about the saudi regime

does it make sense now?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

You would be selling those giant mugs yourself like a pyramid scheme if Mike Ashley had invested into the team and brought success.

sprotto
Jul 16, 2017

Brendan Rodgers posted:

You would be selling those giant mugs yourself like a pyramid scheme if Mike Ashley had invested into the team and brought success.

I didn’t know they sold Newcastle fans at sports direct

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.
you're more fickle than a newcastle fan i guess

which is saying something

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Suntoucher posted:

I didn’t know they sold Newcastle fans at sports direct

Gottem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i think its good MBS had a journalist murdered and chopped into pieces

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)