Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Dawgstar posted:

If I wanted to buy the best available edition of Paranoia, that would be Service Pack 1?
I'd personally say something like that yeah. It had a whole bunch of classic adventures converted for it, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Hostile V posted:

Yes, it's fiction.

Of course, I didn't say it was real. But it is interesting that fictional RPG "horror" stories, which claim to represent bad RPG sessions, often not only do not address the causes of actual bad RPG sessions but are actually incredibly good with regard to those causes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I'd personally say something like that yeah. It had a whole bunch of classic adventures converted for it, too.

I agree. Note that you’ll want a printer even if you buy and read it in PDF - PARANOIA SP1 was big on giving your players fun props and handouts to mess around with.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

hyphz posted:

Of course, I didn't say it was real. But it is interesting that fictional RPG "horror" stories, which claim to represent bad RPG sessions, often not only do not address the causes of actual bad RPG sessions but are actually incredibly good with regard to those causes.

Because it's fiction. KoDT strips are going for a specific punchline every time, and the creator isn't going to include things that mess with that throughput.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

If I wanted to buy the best available edition of Paranoia, that would be Service Pack 1?
I'd say get SP1 if you want a bunch of material all in the core book, providing you with a deep well of stuff to use and with good advice on tailoring it to different playstyles.

Get the second edition core if you want a nice, direct presentation of the "classic" playstyle. (The 2nd edition supplement line eventually fell off a cliff.) Get the first edition if you are curious about how the game was originally presented, before everyone was wise to the joke.

Get the latest edition if you want a janky mess where the core set doesn't properly introduce the setting to you, because the crucial setting information ended up getting spun out into a separate supplement (but it's evident from the designers' comments that they expected that that stuff would be in the core box).

Get the "fifth edition" (if it's even available) if you want to see just how cheap and lovely West End Games would get in their latter phases.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Second Edition has substantially more rules weight than XP. It's a relatively traditional RPG, so if you're expecting a somewhat light ruleset, I'd steer clear.

(XP isn't perfect, mind you - the injury poo poo is just plain weird - but it's still a pretty light game overall.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

Second Edition has substantially more rules weight than XP. It's a relatively traditional RPG, so if you're expecting a somewhat light ruleset, I'd steer clear.

(XP isn't perfect, mind you - the injury poo poo is just plain weird - but it's still a pretty light game overall.)

My recollection of 2nd edition is that it's reasonably light - certainly not that much heavier than XP, and perhaps even lighter if the XP injury rules bug you.

First edition is substantially crunchier than both, and kind of pointlessly so given the premise, and it's pretty evident that for the 2nd edition system they course-corrected for that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Like everything else in XP, the injury table's progression and use is a) what the GM thinks is funny b) what the table thinks is funny and c) what the GM thinks is funny again.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Warthur posted:

My recollection of 2nd edition is that it's reasonably light - certainly not that much heavier than XP, and perhaps even lighter if the XP injury rules bug you.

2nd edition is the kind of game that has a chart for looking up the injury resulting from a given colour laser against a given colour vest. It's certainly appropriate for the kind of game it's parodying, but a lot of people consider that kind of table kind of a weird element of 80s game design that isn't strictly necessary to play Paranoia.

(I counter that all good parodies are also examples of the thing they're parodying, so Paranoia in the 80s should necessarily aspire to the kind of charts-and-tables complexity of early 80s RPGs or the parody wouldn't really work.)

Warthur
May 2, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

2nd edition is the kind of game that has a chart for looking up the injury resulting from a given colour laser against a given colour vest. It's certainly appropriate for the kind of game it's parodying, but a lot of people consider that kind of table kind of a weird element of 80s game design that isn't strictly necessary to play Paranoia.
...no it doesn't.

It has a damage system which works along the lines of "take your damage number from the weapon, adjust for armour, then roll on the relevant column to see the sort of damage that results", but it doesn't go down to that level of granularity. And we were comparing to the XP/SP1 damage system, which isn't actually that much less involved, except it doesn't have a handy chart to summarise things in a visually nice way.

As a hobby we need to get over our trauma about charts. They were certainly abused in the 1980s, but it's absurd to leave a game design tool on the shelf purely on that basis, especially if it would be a more elegant and quickly-understood way of presenting the information than going into contortions to do a system which avoids the use of charts but requires you to constantly parse a fiddly notation or remember a tricksy procedure which the chart could have handled for you (which is exactly what XP did, to its detriment).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
The SP1 weapon result has a chart - it's a line on top of the weapon chart on page 73. The GM screen compiles the three damage tracks (so people, bots, and treason damage) into a single chart so it's easy to compare them, but the weapon system really isn't hard overall: roll, if you hit get the base damage, then add the margin boost up to the max. It's slightly more complicated than D&D in so far as it's division not just addition, but it's really not hard.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Warthur posted:

...no it doesn't.

It has a damage system which works along the lines of "take your damage number from the weapon, adjust for armour, then roll on the relevant column to see the sort of damage that results", but it doesn't go down to that level of granularity.

Ah, you're right. I could have sworn there was a table of modified damage values based on reflec colour vs. laser but checking my beaten copy of the game it's just a binary "do you get your armour value or not" thing.

Warthur posted:

As a hobby we need to get over our trauma about charts. They were certainly abused in the 1980s, but it's absurd to leave a game design tool on the shelf purely on that basis, especially if it would be a more elegant and quickly-understood way of presenting the information than going into contortions to do a system which avoids the use of charts but requires you to constantly parse a fiddly notation or remember a tricksy procedure which the chart could have handled for you (which is exactly what XP did, to its detriment).

Charts are amazing and people should use them more. :hai:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Charts are for babies. I loved Shadowrun second edition’s skill tree.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Bring back Rolemaster but a bit less.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Favorite use of charts is still the old DC Heroes RPG. Two big tables, one for what number you have to roll, another for what a success gets you. Every "column shift" you get on the action table- i.e., rolling over the next column of difficulty- gets you one on the results table. The way the numbers work in terms of what they represent is tricky but mostly holds together.

thefakenews
Oct 20, 2012

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Bring back Rolemaster but a bit less.

Sounds like you are describing Against the Dark Master.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

thefakenews posted:

People keep trying and it'll catch on one of these days.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is there any rpg that doesn't irreversibly snowball into total chaos? I'm burning out on that in D&D.

it is not a fault of d&d that this happens. a particular manifestation is that chaos appears as seemingly pointless violence, but the real underlying issue is players feeling analysis paralysis compounded with risk aversion. some players wake up and choose chaos(admittedly i do this) but whenever i had players do something like this it was because earlier down the line they talked their way out of reasonable options out a fear of the consequences.

the way i prevent this is threefold. first, if the players ever seem like they are spinning their wheels i interject with anything happening. even just an arbitrary random event like "a person walks by carrying X" is enough. second, i set an expectation that you can not achieve perfect results and things will be messy. third, whenever a player veers into this territory i call it out. "you want to blow up the dinner party? what about the servants? would (character) really do that?"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Is the trad games discord still a thing? was trying to find a link to it, but couldn't.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

pog boyfriend posted:

it is not a fault of d&d that this happens. a particular manifestation is that chaos appears as seemingly pointless violence, but the real underlying issue is players feeling analysis paralysis compounded with risk aversion. some players wake up and choose chaos(admittedly i do this) but whenever i had players do something like this it was because earlier down the line they talked their way out of reasonable options out a fear of the consequences.

the way i prevent this is threefold. first, if the players ever seem like they are spinning their wheels i interject with anything happening. even just an arbitrary random event like "a person walks by carrying X" is enough. second, i set an expectation that you can not achieve perfect results and things will be messy. third, whenever a player veers into this territory i call it out. "you want to blow up the dinner party? what about the servants? would (character) really do that?"

Emptyquoting this, unfortunately it happened on old oWoD and even Ars Magica games of mine.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lmfao hell yeah

https://twitter.com/cyross4vocaloid/status/611528527779753985?t=rVcXwmmzQzJdA3ldqdZZhA&s=19

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Oh, Japan :allears:

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

pog boyfriend posted:

Yeah, this is absolutely what's happening. I find it weird that folks are saying narrative games/engines don't run the risk too. I've had pbta, forged in the dark, and Spire devolve into slapstick violence.
Sometimes everyone just rolls with it. Other times the GM or other players pause and say "Ok, seriously? Does that make sense?"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Warthur posted:

Serious question: are most "charts" in RPGs actually charts? It seems that almost all of them are actually just tables.

Tables weren't abused in the 70s and 80s so much as they were just the state of design. I started gaming with mostly White Wolf and Shadowrun, so I'm still bemused that it took so long for designers to figure out that you don't need a table for your core die mechanic, just a simple formula. (I did get some Masterbook games soon after.)

IME using tables for resolution makes sense when you want a result that isn't yes/no or X-Y=Z. Masterbook, as a game system, is pointlessly obtuse in a hundred ways, but this is not a bad example:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miyazaki took inspiration from old Fighting Fantasy books when making Dark Souls. Fun fact!

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Did they change the book content too?

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Serious question: are most "charts" in RPGs actually charts? It seems that almost all of them are actually just tables.

You're correct on that. It's mostly tables, because charts are good at representing overall patterns in information for a surface-level understanding and, say, quickly telling which bar graph is higher and which are very small compare to the other bars, but bad for reading out precise information.

That said, RPGs should use more tables and charts, because visual representations of information can greatly help understanding.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Technically a countdown clock is a pie chart. I need to think about this some more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

LatwPIAT posted:

You're correct on that. It's mostly tables, because charts are good at representing overall patterns in information for a surface-level understanding and, say, quickly telling which bar graph is higher and which are very small compare to the other bars, but bad for reading out precise information.

That said, RPGs should use more tables and charts, because visual representations of information can greatly help understanding.

Which of course means that Leading Edge Games and Iron Crown Enterprises are the most educational publishers ever!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

hyphz posted:

Did they change the book content too?

I hope not because changing the creatures into monster girls but keeping the original text would rule

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
It’s weird too that all the translations of the original titles have been changed into transliterations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's pretty common for titles of English content translated in to Japanese, I believe.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I'm very out of touch in America let alone Japan but the people cooler than me say that straight up using English words in Japanese sentences is especially trendy the last few years. It's been fashionable for decades but people tell me it's on an upswing.

Even stuff that was made for Japanese audiences first often use English- in-katakana titles, like Evangelion (shinseki ebangerion) and Cowboy Beebop (kauboi beeboppu) [sorry both of those from memory].

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
That explains why Alice in Borderland had the word 'GAME' in English surrounded by Japanese characters all the time. I was very confused by that. TIL!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tulip posted:

Even stuff that was made for Japanese audiences first often use English- in-katakana titles, like Evangelion (shinseki ebangerion) and Cowboy Beebop (kauboi beeboppu) [sorry both of those from memory].

buncha red white & weeablues

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yankeeaboo

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tulip posted:

I'm very out of touch in America let alone Japan but the people cooler than me say that straight up using English words in Japanese sentences is especially trendy the last few years. It's been fashionable for decades but people tell me it's on an upswing.

It's actually... "torendi".

No I'm not making that up.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LatwPIAT posted:

Yeah, when you're trying to categorize a lot of things, tables are really good for that- as someone with a lot of familiarity with grog games, a table is a really good way to summarize the differences between, say, different kinds of units, even if the items are like "can overrun" or "can move during the exploitation phase" with a check mark or X because i like having that in visual form rather than having to dig through rules for the implication.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

thefakenews posted:

there's also Lightmaster

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/279034/Lightmaster-Core-Rulebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack
So, James "Grimachu" Desborough is trying to get into a one-sided "DEBATE ME!" slap fight with me on Twitter over a vague reference I made to him a month ago? I kind of want to share the exchange, but it's through an account I use for NSFW side projects I don't know if I want to share with the world?