Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

morestuff posted:

I’m happy for the folks at The Defector but The Athletic feels more replicable even if it crashes and burns. Not many places if any have the cult status Deadspin did

The Athletic does good work, but as a VC product it was always going to be chasing growth in unsustainable ways. Defector would prefer to get more readers, I'm sure, but they're actively seeking to live within their means and not seek growth for growth's sake. Hell, part of the reason they don't have ads is that so many of the major advertisers they talked to wanted too many pageviews/impressions and would require them to grow more than they wanted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

I’m happy for the folks at The Defector but The Athletic feels more replicable even if it crashes and burns. Not many places if any have the cult status Deadspin did

Maybe not quite the cult following Deadspin did. But a lot of places have a unique voice and a dedicated following from a tight knit community. Typically what happens to these places is they get bought up by a larger corporation that slowly squeezes all the unique things out of it until eventually all people that made the place unique end up reading or writing somewhere else. The only truly unique thing about Deadspin is that they all quit en masse and then all came back together to start something new.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Mahoning posted:

Maybe not quite the cult following Deadspin did. But a lot of places have a unique voice and a dedicated following from a tight knit community. Typically what happens to these places is they get bought up by a larger corporation that slowly squeezes all the unique things out of it until eventually all people that made the place unique end up reading or writing somewhere else. The only truly unique thing about Deadspin is that they all quit en masse and then all came back together to start something new.

I'm struggling to think of any in sports media right now, other than a few individual folks who would be better suited for a Substack/Patreon model. Another big part of what makes Defector unique is that they've got bigger names like Magary and Roth that are willing to subsidize guys like Patrick Redford (no offense Patrick Redford)

I say this as someone who paid money to The Classical back in the day

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

morestuff posted:

I'm struggling to think of any in sports media right now, other than a few individual folks who would be better suited for a Substack/Patreon model. Another big part of what makes Defector unique is that they've got bigger names like Magary and Roth that are willing to subsidize guys like Patrick Redford (no offense Patrick Redford)

I say this as someone who paid money to The Classical back in the day

Grantland is a bit different since it was always owned by a large corporation but the end result was essentially the same.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

morestuff posted:

Defector also has a very clear house style. The Athletic writers' tone varies a lot, from goofballs like Grant Brisbee to old fashioned guys like Ken Rosenthal.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That ain’t good

https://twitter.com/brittrobson/status/1445854560166187012?s=21

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Welp

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My only gripe with The Athletic is they do a lot of stuff but nothing great. Local coverage of teams is their best facet, although not something that I think there is particularly high demand for. Their podcasts are half-assed and forgettable. Fantasy coverage is OK. Same for sports betting. Seems like a better strategy might have been to lean heavily on certain topics where they can be clearly better than any other outlet. There still isn't a good outlet for sports betting which is kind of bizarre.

I sign up under their holiday promos where it's a couple of bucks a month. But I wouldn't pay more than $5 a month for it.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Niwrad posted:

My only gripe with The Athletic is they do a lot of stuff but nothing great. Local coverage of teams is their best facet, although not something that I think there is particularly high demand for. Their podcasts are half-assed and forgettable. Fantasy coverage is OK. Same for sports betting. Seems like a better strategy might have been to lean heavily on certain topics where they can be clearly better than any other outlet. There still isn't a good outlet for sports betting which is kind of bizarre.

I sign up under their holiday promos where it's a couple of bucks a month. But I wouldn't pay more than $5 a month for it.

The Action Network isn't good? (I don't bet and have no idea about it, just that Matt Moore writes for them).

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kibner posted:

The Action Network isn't good? (I don't bet and have no idea about it, just that Matt Moore writes for them).

Their content is bad but their app is absolutely incredible for tracking bets and finding the best lines.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The only reason I'm thinking about renewing my coverage at the athletic is both the Chicago papers have made their paywalls impossible so I don't really get decent beat coverage.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Was hopeful they'd bring back Hornets beat coverage because of the whole LaMelo thing but no dice. I'd pay for the Observer's sports coverage but I honestly get about as much from following the Hornets PR account on Twitter

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

Niwrad posted:

Local coverage of teams is their best facet, although not something that I think there is particularly high demand for.

As said above, it's greatly needed around Chicago. And their Chicago writers are really good. I'm sure YMMV by market, but the guys they have on the Chicago beats are the ones you want to read around here.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

morestuff posted:

Was hopeful they'd bring back Hornets beat coverage because of the whole LaMelo thing but no dice. I'd pay for the Observer's sports coverage but I honestly get about as much from following the Hornets PR account on Twitter

Yeah, I was gonna sign back up if they restored Hornets coverage myself. I get that we're a small market and still not super relevant, but yeah, if LaMelo couldn't get them back on the beat, I guess little else will.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

angrygodofjebus posted:

As said above, it's greatly needed around Chicago. And their Chicago writers are really good. I'm sure YMMV by market, but the guys they have on the Chicago beats are the ones you want to read around here.

This + CFB + NASCAR is why I signed up. Decent soccer writing too, though I wish their lower-leagues guy would do a bit more.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

I just let my subscription lapse every year and wait till they throw me a 30 dollar deal. I don't follow many teams but at best I'd call their coverage "meh" with the occasional home run long form piece but it's more of a couple times a week rather than daily site for me. So far they're losing the "Please buy us!" game, but eventually someone will pick it up for pennies on the dollar and run it on the cheap.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It's just like any other venture capitalist idea, it's subsidized at the beginning than when the VC funds run out, they start scrambling to make it profitable. Either by cutting certain features or raising prices significantly.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Sam Smith writing trash shouldn't be newsworthy but...

https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status/1446227591694888962?t=VFl3b6KG4nHwqL6sFV235A&s=19

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

What happened with John Clayton? He was one of the go-to guys at ESPN for NFL reporting. They had commercials with him in it. Now seems like he just does some local coverage for some radio affiliates. His Twitter feed is filled with him complaining about DirecTV.

Not knocking him as everyone has ups and downs, but does anyone know why he sort of fell so hard?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

What happened with John Clayton? He was one of the go-to guys at ESPN for NFL reporting. They had commercials with him in it. Now seems like he just does some local coverage for some radio affiliates. His Twitter feed is filled with him complaining about DirecTV.

Not knocking him as everyone has ups and downs, but does anyone know why he sort of fell so hard?
He's right around retirement age and might just be perfectly happy doing local stuff after all the years and money he made with ESPN.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

They’ve also been buying out a lot of their traditional reporters over the last few years since they don’t feel they need them

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I think it’s clear he hasn’t been the same since he cut off his ponytail.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

He got fired and hosts a radio show for ESPN radio in Seattle.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
gently caress Mike Tirico's Italian rear end, and Tony Dungy's too

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dexo posted:

gently caress Mike Tirico's Italian rear end, and Tony Dungy's too

Is this another of the Gruden emails?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
more like an entire dumpster full of them, NYT has the story

also Bruce Allen is trash and was sending him topless pics from the Washington cheerleaders photo shoot

…on the corporate email

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

morestuff posted:

They’ve also been buying out a lot of their traditional reporters over the last few years since they don’t feel they need them

Yeah, they can just have Adam schefter mouthpiece everywhere.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Nybble posted:

more like an entire dumpster full of them, NYT has the story

also Bruce Allen is trash and was sending him topless pics from the Washington cheerleaders photo shoot

…on the corporate email

A link to the NYT article might be helpful here, guys.

Some select points from the article:

quote:

Gruden’s messages were sent to Bruce Allen, the former president of the Washington Football Team, and others, while he was working for ESPN as a color analyst during “Monday Night Football.” In the emails, Gruden called the league’s commissioner, Roger Goodell, a “human being” and a “clueless anti football pussy” and said that Goodell should not have pressured Jeff Fisher, then the coach of the Rams, to draft “queers,” a reference to Michael Sam, a gay player chosen by the team in 2014.

(Bolding mine -- some are reading this as "Gruden sent these from his ESPN work email," and some writers (Holly Anderson) are suggesting this isn't inaccurate, though it lists Gruden as sending from a personal email address later in the article.)

quote:

But Gruden’s behavior was not limited to 2011. Gruden exchanged emails with Allen and other men that included photos of women wearing only bikini bottoms, including one photo of two Washington team cheerleaders.

quote:

Privately, Allen and Gruden appeared to have few boundaries in expressing homophobic and transphobic language. In one email from 2015 that includes Droste, McVay and others, Gruden crudely asked Allen to tell Bryan Glazer, whose family owns the Tampa Bay Buccaneers where Gruden coached until 2008, to perform oral sex on him. Allen said Glazer would “take you up on that offer.”

Allen and Gruden also mocked Caitlyn Jenner, who received an award from ESPN in 2015 after she transitioned.

In an email from 2015, Allen and Gruden criticized a congressional bill that aimed to force the Washington franchise to change its name, which the team stopped using last year. Again using a vulgar term, Gruden took aim at Goodell and his staff even though the commissioner had initially defended the team’s right to keep the name.
In 2017, Droste shared with the group a sexist meme of a female referee to which Gruden replied, “Nice job roger.”

Hooooo boy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
So ESPN is gonna rehire him no later than next season, right? And he's gonna get most if not all of his remaining contract from the Raiders?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Didn’t he resign

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

habeasdorkus posted:

So ESPN is gonna rehire him no later than next season, right? And he's gonna get most if not all of his remaining contract from the Raiders?

No and no

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

habeasdorkus posted:

He resigned For Cause, the raiders don't owe him any of his remaining money.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

habeasdorkus posted:

He bad-mouthed Rodger

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Yeah my favorite part in all of this is how some outlets are running it as as "he badmouthed gay folks, every race, women, and also Roger"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Spaced God posted:

Yeah my favorite part in all of this is how some outlets are running it as as "he badmouthed gay folks, every race, women, and also Roger"

I mean Bill Simmons got in trouble for one of those and he's forever banned

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

You can disrespect me, call me the f-word, call me the r-word, call me the n-word, whatever. But you disrespect the shield? Buddy, you and me got a problem.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

habeasdorkus posted:

ESPN was where Gruden worked when these emails were sent. They have shown increased concern about their outward image and aren't going to hire a shitload of baggage back. If anyone hires Gruden next year it'll be one of the chuddy places, Fox Sports, Barstool, etc

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Forrest on Fire posted:

ESPN was where Gruden worked when these emails were sent. They have shown increased concern about their outward image and aren't going to hire a shitload of baggage back. If anyone hires Gruden next year it'll be one of the chuddy places, Fox Sports, Barstool, etc

See that’s the fun part, they made it seem like this all happened while he was a raider.

Masterclass in truth massaging

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

Fox Sports fired Thom Brennaman for one instance of a gay slur. No chance they’re hiring a guy who did that and much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Clay Travis is probably salivating at the opportunity to bring a high profile Victim of Wokeness to the Outkick team.