Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
More humiliation for loser Keith.

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1447935940371128327

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I'm sure with this proposed change to driving licences, the government will definitely remember that not everyone has smartphones (or indeed easy internet access) unlike the other times they conveniently forgot.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/uk-news/motorists-warned-dvla-set-make-21830763

Some boomers are still salty about modern card licences, I'm not quite sure how that crowd is going to react to a completely digital one

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But not want to eat TOO much else you might just eat it all in one go and flame out on a glorious tinned custard binge. Memories of my 6 month Millenium Bug stash spring to mind when I ate about 100 cans of tinned custard / tinned rice pud in under a month before the millenium even started. Strictly functional food that you never crave in my stashes these days!

I rotate though all that stuff at a slow pace, my standard fare is lots of fresh veg with sometimes fish/meat/eggs/lentils added.

I'm already starting to think about what to have for xmas... barring a really cheap deal on red meat it's either going to be battered fish or seitan curry. :discourse:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mediaphage posted:

what’s their reasoning behind this

"gently caress the poor/minorities"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Do they accept birth certificates?

Like it's a license, it is literally government issues identification that I, me, am allowed to drive.

The last time I applied for benefits, & that was a while ago because I'd rather just starve at this point, dealing with the DWP is detrimental for my mental wellbeing, a birth certificate is acceptable but only with additional ID. I think it was 2 bills or bank statements that have your name & address on them.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
If you have a credit record you can do it that way.

I on the other hand had to spend over an hour proving who he as the claimant and me as the appointee were by answering questions about what benefits we got and what dates we claimed for them, where we used to live and what dates and so on.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Julio Cruz posted:

"gently caress the poor/minorities"

ok sure i mean most of their policies are

but like. i just don't grasp why a government issued id is no longer considered acceptable identification.

fwiw in the US/Can a license isn't sufficient id for immigration status, which makes sense, but it is fine for IDing everything else

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

In unrelated news: 42 that is all.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

This isn't real. Surely?

He can't even have a laugh at the end.

You've failed.

Very good.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wariotifo/status/1447948180210044933

Did an actual legit lol at this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Do they accept birth certificates?

Like it's a license, it is literally government issues identification that I, me, am allowed to drive.

I think the British government has sensibly realised that you should never trust the British government.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

learnincurve posted:

Yes! It’s chuffing great!

Supertram to Asda for your pop and breadcakes then round the corner to the fish bar.

Edit: I live just outside of Sheffield now in Mastin Moor which got gentrified by the council a few years back but they kept the same tenants in and it rules. Best fish snd chip shop here is in the centre of staveley near the post office.

Charlies is loooooads better now they've changed hands and had a refurb

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

HopperUK posted:

My pharmacy chain is not good but LLoyds is poo poo. Not surprised they can't keep pharmacists. We're losing them too.

Losing them to who? I assume they're not retraining as HGV drivers.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Other pharmacies one would assume.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

AceClown posted:

Charlies is loooooads better now they've changed hands and had a refurb

Market place understands that scraps and chips means SCRAPS and chips though

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Some boomers are still salty about modern card licences, I'm not quite sure how that crowd is going to react to a completely digital one

they're still gonna vote tory so it doesn't matter

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm sure Reform UK will get a couple of votes from it if they're still around then

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

They're probably going to use this as a wedge issue to bring in ID cards, which will cost £500 and only be issued in person by a single office in Fortnum & Mason.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Assuming they show their usual transparent tendering and attention to detail it'll be worth it to get an ID card saying I'm Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson and then

Guavanaut posted:

I'm going to goad Starmer into calling me a llama nonce so

Brendan Rodgers posted:

That would lead to a lengthy court case where people in tailored suits try to convince everyone that you[, Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson,] are a llama nonce.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yo ho ho ho hoho haha

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1447991571304128512

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The EU can't keep getting away with this

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

My Dad (who goes down the YouTube conspiracy hole a little but I can't say he's wrong on this) was watching a video where someone was explaining that we are about to see another knock on effect from the HGV drivers shortage.

Basically they are so short staffed that they only have enough people at the moment to unload the cargo containers from the ships as they are coming in.
But they don't have the extra people to load the empty cargo containers to where they need to be put.
Which means the ports are going to start getting clogged up with empty cargo containers which are going to slow everything else down.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those Maersk containers look like huge sticks of butter.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

The Question IRL posted:

My Dad (who goes down the YouTube conspiracy hole a little but I can't say he's wrong on this) was watching a video where someone was explaining that we are about to see another knock on effect from the HGV drivers shortage.

Basically they are so short staffed that they only have enough people at the moment to unload the cargo containers from the ships as they are coming in.
But they don't have the extra people to load the empty cargo containers to where they need to be put.
Which means the ports are going to start getting clogged up with empty cargo containers which are going to slow everything else down.

Theres been an issue with cargo containers for over a year at this point, its not a new thing. But there is such high demand for them worldwide empty containers don't hang around for long.

The bigger challenge we've got is that the secondary supply chains are now starting to break down. The energy price issue is forcing a lot of packaging manufacturers in the UK to slow or even stop production entirely. We're going to get issues where we'll have food ready to go but no boxes to put them in.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

The EU can't keep getting away with this

Don't worry, Lord Frost is sending all the ships to unload at Larne instead. :byodood:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't the ships just use our 2,000 miles of canals and navigable rivers and other scenic waterways to dock and unload directly at the cities where the stuff is needed? Please give me a cabinet position.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Guavanaut posted:

Can't the ships just use our 2,000 miles of canals and navigable rivers and other scenic waterways to dock and unload directly at the cities where the stuff is needed? Please give me a cabinet position.

Manchester Ship Canal blocked by SEX ARSES

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

It's just gonna be like the end scene from speed 2...
https://youtu.be/gBxaGB65TB8

The dog is a local village councillor complaining about wind turbines.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's kind of incredible watching this unfold tbh.

There are shortages of a number of things – labour in some sectors, certain goods etc. – that are more or less global problems. But from the perspective of shipping companies or truckers and similar in-demand professions it's pretty good. They can pick and choose the most lucrative options.

From what I've seen reading UK newspapers it hasn't sunk in that if these companies and people have the choice between the EU single market and the UK (and they very much do), they'll go where conditions are best for them.

And for many reasons, conditions are best in the EU. So as long as those shortages exist the UK will feel them first and more severely.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And yet I photographed this at lidl less than an hour ago:

So obviously the important stuff is still getting through :colbert:

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you’d think an island would have lots of options for boats

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
The really depressing thing is that all of this is a very obvious symptom of a government running on farts and hubris for over a decade and a decent opposition could almost guarantee the next election, but Labour no longer has a drat clue what it's even for, politics is just a career option for well connected debate nerds and the red team is the one you pick if you're in a poor area. I think you can probably count the number of people in the commons who have actual beliefs about anything bigger than themselves on one hand.

This all feels like a political consensus about to collapse, but it... won't. It'll just shamble on from crisis to crisis and things will gradually get incrementally worse year after year until someone gets their loving act together or we all die, and one of the most tragic things - and I think something boomers in particular really do struggle to understand - is that I and as far as I can tell a good portion of millenials and gen z'ers find it almost impossible to imagine anything improving much at all in our lifetimes.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Oct 12, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am not sure whether I am more afraid of another tory government or labour somehow winning it because the tories poo poo the bed too hard and wasting another three decades of my life on nothing.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I'm pretty sure this is what Thatcher meant when she said Blair was her greatest achievement lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

OwlFancier posted:

I am not sure whether I am more afraid of another tory government or labour somehow winning it because the tories poo poo the bed too hard and wasting another three decades of my life on nothing.

The best move is to not vote and definitely not give any money to anyone.

Labour's vote share - and income - needs to crater as a result of their actions.

You could go door-to-door telling people both parties are poo poo.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The Tories are poo poo but it is absolute loving scandal, and a shameful disgrace that we live in a country with no form of functional viable opposition. America might be a violent racist shithole but there is at least a decent chance of power changing hands in some shape or form every 4 years.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Labour currently seems to be playing a long game of not being left holding the lovely stick also don't piss off capital.

I think they're banking that as long as they can say "wasn't us" the electorate will forgive them eventually. I don't think so though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would suggest the fact that it is a violent, racist shithole might be because power does not, in fact, change hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

ThomasPaine posted:

as far as I can tell a good portion of millenials and gen z'ers find it almost impossible to imagine anything improving much at all in our lifetimes.

I can imagine it because it nearly happened

If anything, that makes it worse.