Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Is the John French Fabius Bile series any good? I see it quoted by Reddit fairly often, but I’ve been bitten by their references (and French’s books) before haha.

I've only read the first one and I found it okay. Not top tier, but a pretty good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

D-Pad posted:

Fabius Bile is Josh Reynolds not French. It is well liked. Worth a read IMO.

John French's inquisitor series The Horusian Wars is actually very good and probably his best work. I wouldn't skip it.

Counterpoint, it isn't worth the time.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I've enjoyed it but it also feels very like a series that wants to do something big and astounding with the universe and is probably not going to be creative enough to do so within present continuity. If Abnett didn't have such a strong track record I'd say the same thing of the Bequin trilogy but he's proved enough that I can see him pulling something off without 'it was all a dream' being the outcome.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Fabius Bile trilogy is fine, just don't expect any kind of metaplot to happen.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Fabius Bile trilogy is good.

Horusian Wars might be, but it was unlistenable on Audiobook as there was a whole ton of rapid changing between similar characters in the back half with little or no emphasis as to when the switch was happening.

Made it an absolute chore to listen to and keep track of what was going on with who. Worst book I've listened to for that since Scalzi's Redshirts.

Could be fine on paper/kindle. :shrug:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 11, 2021

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So what's the worst 40k book we've all read? Mine...

Iron Warriors vs Orks, not a single likable character and the author has no idea how long a km is.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, that one is trash. You're just wishing the Orks would hurry up and win already the whole time. It's extra weird because C.L. Werner's early 00s Fantasy novels were really good.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What are the best Blood Angels books? I've fallen in love with them after reading most of Fear to Tread, but I don't know anything about their 40k stuff.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I really enjoyed Devastation of Baal. Dante is good as well and iirc takes place just before devastation. Haven't read much else that are focused on BA.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ego-bot posted:

Iron Warriors vs Orks, not a single likable character and the author has no idea how long a km is.

Like "X is a kilometer away!" - "Damnation, that'll take hours to cover with no obstacles or resistance and in our fastest vehicle!" or the other way around?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

No. 1 Juicy Boi posted:

What are the best Blood Angels books? I've fallen in love with them after reading most of Fear to Tread, but I don't know anything about their 40k stuff.

I'd definitely recommend Dante. I've never liked the Blood Angels' angsty Anne Rice emo vampire bullshit, but Dante takes you from an aspirant rising through the ranks all the way to the very top and it handles the emo stuff really well and has a surprising amount of humour in it.

I'm reading Devastation of Baal, but if I'm honest I'm finding it a slog. I don't enjoy long, drawn out battle scenes and the 'nids are always boring enemies, plus the side plot of librarians suddenly having to go and do some ritual to stop Ka'Bandha from materialising on Baal felt tacked on and came out of nowhere. I did like the gathering of the successor chapters though, but I'd definitely read Dante beforehand.

I'll finish it soon, but I just don't have the patience for pages of descriptions of battles :(

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

Like "X is a kilometer away!" - "Damnation, that'll take hours to cover with no obstacles or resistance and in our fastest vehicle!" or the other way around?

There's a massive Ork invasion going on and the Iron Warriors and their troops are defending a wall. A crazy obliterator slaughters all of his own troops and defends a 2.5km section by himself. That seems like a lot of ground to cover.

There's another scene where some slaves are running away from an Iron Warriors and he picks them off with his bolt pistol from about 1km away. I may be misremembering this because its been 9 years since I read it.

One human character discovers that the Iron Warriors are grinding up all the dead to feed to the slaves and is overcome with disgust. Motherfucker, do you not know who you work for? You should have figured this out already.

Dog_Meat posted:

I'm reading Devastation of Baal, but if I'm honest I'm finding it a slog. I don't enjoy long, drawn out battle scenes and the 'nids are always boring enemies, plus the side plot of librarians suddenly having to go and do some ritual to stop Ka'Bandha from materialising on Baal felt tacked on and came out of nowhere. I did like the gathering of the successor chapters though, but I'd definitely read Dante beforehand.

I'll finish it soon, but I just don't have the patience for pages of descriptions of battles :(

Seth is the real star of the book.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
one of the imperium's primary food sources is recycled bodies so that's extra funny.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Ego-bot posted:

Of all the warhammer garbage I've read over the years, this one takes the spot:

After 17 years, I'm still salty I bought this piece of crap. Let's say that McNeill at its best can be a somewhat decent writer, but when he's not good, he's horrifing.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

After 17 years, I'm still salty I bought this piece of crap. Let's say that McNeill at its best can be a somewhat decent writer, but when he's not good, he's horrifing.

I had the Ultramarines omnibus. The first two were your standard, generic as hell bolter trash - but that third book... maaaaan. It was like someone had spiked my drink. My memory is hazy, but it literally felt like the story begins and a chaos train literally appears out of nowhere and says "no time to explain, get in" and then batshit fuckery happens.

From the guy that brought you Fulgrim (flawed, but ambitious and a good read) and The Reflection Crack'd (gently caress my previous story, I'm a gonna stick a buttplug up a primarch's rear end, lol)

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Working my way through Warhawk at the moment- super enjoyable so far, and I’m not ashamed to admit that I laughed at Chris Wraight spending almost a whole page slagging off the Leman Russ tank- its exposed tracks, the huge vertical armour plates, the high profile, how difficult it was to evacuate and so on.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dog_Meat posted:

I had the Ultramarines omnibus. The first two were your standard, generic as hell bolter trash - but that third book... maaaaan. It was like someone had spiked my drink. My memory is hazy, but it literally felt like the story begins and a chaos train literally appears out of nowhere and says "no time to explain, get in" and then batshit fuckery happens.

From the guy that brought you Fulgrim (flawed, but ambitious and a good read) and The Reflection Crack'd (gently caress my previous story, I'm a gonna stick a buttplug up a primarch's rear end, lol)

Yeah, the warp train is the best worst plot device ever.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Angry Lobster posted:

Yeah, the warp train is the best worst plot device ever.

I literally binned my copy of the omnibus (wish I hadn't now, given GW prices) - but I honestly can't remember the set up. Why did a chaos train turn up? In my memory it was literally two Ultramarines chilling on one of the 500 worlds when a train rocks up and they're like "we have to go". Someone remind me what lead to this!

(but don't remind me about the chaos marine creation process or the mutant primarch thing)

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

The only McNeill I’ve read is Forges of Mars and I loved it, is the other stuff that much worse or am I just broken?

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Rugikiki posted:

The only McNeill I’ve read is Forges of Mars and I loved it, is the other stuff that much worse or am I just broken?

Not read that one, but like another poster said - McNeill will surprise you one minute and then make you wonder WTF you just read the next

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rugikiki posted:

He is very uneven and has some bad habits that don't become obvious until you've read a few of his books. Lots of characters with basically the exact same voice and almost every chapter ending with some kind of one-liner took me a couple books to notice, for example

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Saturnine is truly great, in my opinion 10/10 and one of abnett’s strongest books. In the context of the SOT it feels like “and then more stuff happened” but the actual quality of the prose, the craft, is head and shoulders above most BL writers and even Abnett’s earlier work. It’s genuinely moving.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Rugikiki posted:

Forges of Mars is his best work. The rest is often uneven. I give him a lot of respect because he's kind of responsible for there being a Black Library imprint at all, but yeah Chris Wraight is as prolific as McNeil while being quality every time.

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Saturnine is truly great, in my opinion 10/10 and one of abnett’s strongest books. In the context of the SOT it feels like “and then more stuff happened” but the actual quality of the prose, the craft, is head and shoulders above most BL writers and even Abnett’s earlier work. It’s genuinely moving.

I'm not one of these loving reddit nerds that gushes how a book or game or something changed my life for karma but the Camba Diaz bridge scene was absolutely mindblowing.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

ed balls balls man posted:

I'm not one of these loving reddit nerds that gushes how a book or game or something changed my life for karma but the Camba Diaz bridge scene was absolutely mindblowing.

Yeah, I've said it in here before but the way the sentence length and structure mirrors the fight in that the sentences get shorter and shorter until they are just one or two adjectives as the fighting gets more desperate is loving brilliant and put me on the edge of my seat in a way other combat scenes never have.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

That book just has so many standout moments that, in any other book, would be the climactic centerpiece. Off the top of my head:
Camba-Diaz on the bridge
Abaddon fighting underground
Dorn vs. Fulgrim on the wall
Olly Piers vs. Angron
Jenetia Krole vs. the entire XII legion

Sprinkled in with moments of humor (Basilio Fo) terror (Shiban’s fall) and genuine pathos (Joseph Baako Monday and Willem Kordy). It’s an absolute masterpiece of a book.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dog_Meat posted:

I literally binned my copy of the omnibus (wish I hadn't now, given GW prices) - but I honestly can't remember the set up. Why did a chaos train turn up? In my memory it was literally two Ultramarines chilling on one of the 500 worlds when a train rocks up and they're like "we have to go". Someone remind me what lead to this!

(but don't remind me about the chaos marine creation process or the mutant primarch thing)

They were just banished from Ultramar on a penitent crusade and they were just leaving on a ship when suddenly the Chaos Express shows up, snatches them up and drops them on a random world in the Eye of Terror. Why did this happen? If I recall correctly, no apparent reason or explanation was given, so basically a plot device to move the characters to the place they need to be. To be fair, it's basically the common sci-fi trope " the ship falls through a portal/wormhole and appears in the other side of the galaxy", just more hamfisted and terribly executed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I don't think I've chuckled while reading a 40K book as much as I have while reading The Infinite and the Divine.

Necrons loving rule.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Finally snagged a decently priced copy of Curze. My primarch collection is almost complete, I just can't for the life of me find a sanely priced Angron, Guilliman, or Russ 😩

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Jenetia Krole vs. the entire XII legion

I loved this scene.

Saturnine spoilers:

quote:

And I think my story ends here too. Soon.

I would have liked to tell it to someone. Share it. But that sort of connection is something I have never been allowed.

Here are the things I would have said.

I am fighting to the end in a battle that cannot be won. I am fighting to the end in a battle that I knew could not be won before it even began. I have done this, not because I am brave, or because I am foolish, but because it was the only thing to do. If we give up on the doomed, we give up on ourselves.

My presence, the curse of my company, has kept the doomed souls alive a little longer than fortune had planned. I have not driven off the daemons or the night, for they are too strong for even me to banish. But I have held them at bay for a while. I have made the daemons wary.

And I have killed. I have killed many, many World Eaters.

I have killed Ekelot of the Devourers and Centurion Bri Boret at the curtain gate. I have killed Centurion Huk Manoux on the curtain wall parapet. Barbis Red Butcher, Herhak of the Caedere, Menkelen Burning Gaze: those I killed at the foot of Tower Two. Vorse and Jurok of the Devourers: those I killed in Western freight, with Tsu-tomu at my side. I killed Muratus Attvus in the cage-ways. I killed Uttara Khon of III Destroyers and Skalder in the cage-ways, because they had killed Tsutomu. It took sixteen of them to kill the Custodian, all at once. I could only avenge myself on two. I killed Sahvakarus the Culler in the second yards. I killed Drukuun in the gully by the fitting shops. I killed Malmanov of the Caedere and Khat Khadda of II Triari beside the ground-side landing pads. I have just killed Resulka Red Tatter. I have killed or driven off a host of Neverborn beastkin. My curse is a weapon.

At the Eternity Wall space port, late in a very long life, I have discovered to my joy that my presence, the curse of my company, can also be a blessing. This is new to me, and unfamiliar. I have fought to protect these people, who cannot see me, but the mystery of me – for it appears it can be a mystery as well as a curse – has inspired them. The fact of my absence is a place they cannot explain, so they have filled it with stories and ideas, and those stories and ideas have given them strength and hope and courage. I never planned for that. I did not set out to do it. It simply happened. These are strange times.

I will confess, now, because no one is listening, that this has been the greatest accomplishment of my life. It is completely unexpected. My whole life, I have stood apart, and wherever I have gone, I have spread only fear and discomfort. But here, briefly and unexpectedly, I have affected people in another way. I have been an unlikely conduit for strength and unity. I have been a mystery that has compelled them to stand tip and believe, not cower and shrink in fear. I have been able to touch them. This is my fortune. It is all I have ever wanted.

I wish it could continue, but it will not. As I have said, this is a story that is reaching its end.

So I stand, and I kill. I kill as many of the foe as I can before the end comes. As I pass across the battlefield, my sword in my hand, I see the ruination that the uglier face of fortune has wrought. I see things that should be noted down for history, so that they can be remembered. But they will not be. The young man, if he is not already dead, will not survive this blizzard of destruction. So his story ends here too. But I see things that I would have made him mark down on his dataslate, if he had been able to hear me. The names of the dead. The manner of their deaths. Custodian Tsutomu, and ninety-six others, in the cage-ways. Oxana Pell (Hort Borograd K), and three others, at Tower One. Getty Orheg (16th Arctic Hort) and fifty others, at the curtain wall. Bailee Grosser (Third Helvet), and twenty-six others, in Western Freight. Militant Colonel Auxilia Clement Brohn and forty-two others, at the guard gate. Ennie Carnet (Fourth Australis Mechanised) and one hundred and sixty-four others, between the curtain wall and Tower Two. Pasha Cavaner (11th Heavy Janissar), and sixteen others, in the second yards. Willem Kordy (33rd Pan-Pac Lift Mobile) and Joseph Baako Monday (18th Regiment, Nordafrik Resistance Army), on the cargo ramps behind the cage-ways. Those two died together, as they began, fighting for each other. They would not leave each other’s sides when the World Eaters came. There is a bond stronger than steel to be found in the calamity of combat. I wish I knew the names and stories of the ones I have called the others. I do not. And even if I did, there would not be enough time left to tell them all. There are so many. So very many.

And totality is here.

I cross the open quad below Tower Four to meet it. World Eaters come, crushing and scattering the mutilated remains of the dead. They crush everything underfoot: rubble, girders, flakboard, wreckage, bones, helmets, broken weapons, lives, the few effects the troopers were allowed to bring, the picts of loved ones, the little uniform kits of needle and thread, the trinkets and charms, the battered dataslates some of them carried. I wonder if, in time to come, any of these things will be found. Will these battlefields be picked over, and the relics of our last day retrieved? Will they be mended and fixed back together, like a broken cup, and put on display in some museum of memorial? Will the dataslates be read? The bones buried? Will they wonder who we were? Will they care? Will anything we did or said here matter to them? Only fortune knows.

The World Eaters come. I kill Goret Foulmaw with a clean blow. I make Centurion Cisaka Warhand shiver and recoil, then take off his head. I kill Mahog Dearth of VI Destroyers by impalement. I gut Haskor Blood Smoke, and then Nurtot of II Triari. I cut the spine of Karakull White Butcher. I see Khârn coming. Khârn, First Captain. He is a true giant. My null curse does not even slow him down, or give him pause. I raise my sword, Veracity. I speak in Khârn’s language. I.....

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Ego-bot posted:

I loved this scene.

Saturnine spoilers:

And the bit directly after, where Khârn's like "huh, my kill count just went up by one, I don't remember killing someone just now? Oh well, back to killing"

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

And the bit directly after, where Khârn's like "huh, my kill count just went up by one, I don't remember killing someone just now? Oh well, back to killing"

That was amazing. It was somehow hilarious and poignant.

God, Dan Abnett is a master

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

I’m trying to slog through the Solar War . It’s so boring and jumps around way too much

Should I just skip to Saturnine and the Warhawk?

So far it's been the best of the series, IMO. The jumping around is what every book in the series does, they went with a GoT type layout for the series.

I'm really slogging through Mortis tho. It might be the "Descent of Angels" of the series. I might not make it to Warhawk.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Philthy posted:

So far it's been the best of the series, IMO. The jumping around is what every book in the series does, they went with a GoT type layout for the series.

I'm really slogging through Mortis tho. It might be the "Descent of Angels" of the series. I might not make it to Warhawk.

Yeah I’m glad I skipped. Every page of saturnine is a delight. The long rear end spoilers on Reddit were enough background.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mortis has the best cover art they have done in a long time. Most of the SOT covers are great but that one in particular owns . It reminds me of 40k art from like 15 years ago

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Just wish they didn't have the guardsmen in 40k standard Cadian armor. I liked how they initially had 18th/19th century looking greatcoat uniforms, contrasted nicely with the setting's present.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Are the void shields timed to allow the titan to shoot out of them ?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

euphronius posted:

Are the void shields timed to allow the titan to shoot out of them ?

They're timed and sectioned, I believe.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Mortis has the best cover art they have done in a long time. Most of the SOT covers are great but that one in particular owns . It reminds me of 40k art from like 15 years ago

The kid in me couldn’t wait to get to this book because of the awesome artwork.

Saturine was very good, but still a big fan of Solar War because I thought the grand strategy of taking the system with some good ship to ship warfare that beat most non-40k milsim books made it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com...y-sci-fi-writer

The first details of the book written by Adrian Tchaikovsky that was hinted a few months ago has finally been revealed.