Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Lolling and lmaoing from Austin Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I thought it was a typhoon in the pacific?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Won't even amount to much of any rain in Austin.

Far too many bougies live here nowadays to allow any flooding to occurs. They'll just activate the rain dome shield.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I thought it was a typhoon in the pacific?
Typhoons are only in the Asian part of the pacific

it’s a hurricane if it’s east of Hawaii

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I'll never get to see a typhoon :(

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I'll never get to see a typhoon :(

if a typhoon makes it or around the globe, is it still a typhoon????

we’ll find out

Ziggy Starfucker
Jun 1, 2011

Pillbug
A cyclone forms in the southern hemisphere and travels halfway across the world through an entire continent just to slap my nuts clockwise before fizzling out

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

it's all cyclones to me

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shifty Nipples posted:

it's all cyclones to me

What's the matter with the storms I'm hearin'?
Can't ya tell that the eye's too wide?
Maybe I should buy some Western property?
Welcome back to the Age of Fire.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

NeonPunk posted:

Far too many bougies live here nowadays to allow any flooding to occurs. They'll just activate the rain dome shield.

Wait where do I buy one of these? Someone is holding out.

Honestly pretty sure I'm going to die in a historic rain event if we don't move soon. If that Italy thing had happened here I'd already be dead!

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

TehSaurus posted:

Wait where do I buy one of these? Someone is holding out.

Honestly pretty sure I'm going to die in a historic rain event if we don't move soon. If that Italy thing had happened here I'd already be dead!

Are you down near Onion Creek in any way? Because yeah, you probably want to think about getting a hotel for a few days.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Nah, I'm gentrifying tech scum in Holly neighborhood. I'm just outside of a 1000 year flood plain for boggy creek that was drawn well before the massive wave of development really took hold down here. I'll be fine tomorrow. But a freak storm dumping feet of rain? That could be deadly!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
It's happened before, and this one is getting juiced by a trough over the continent so there's a decent chance it is extra tropical before then.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Lidia_(1993)

There are flash flood watches for Central Texas so probably see some floating cars next few days.

https://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=EWX&issuedby=EWX&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Typhoons are only in the Asian part of the pacific

it’s a hurricane if it’s east of Hawaii

Is Hawaii the line? Like could a Typhoon and Hurricane meet in the middle of a Hawaii Ladyhawk style, and fall in love.. or you know, just bang trashly?

Need to know quick, got a Tingle'esq erotica to write!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Red Cross has an image here

https://www.redcross.org/get-help/how-to-prepare-for-emergencies/types-of-emergencies/hurricane/hurricane-vs-typhoon.html

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks like at the equator on the international dateline you could have a typhoon, hurricane and cyclone all meet.

But the Hurricane and cyclone could never touch. :(

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I don’t think it’s possible for a tropical cyclone to make it to the equator (not a meteorologist, though). Your characters will be separated by the horizon, knowing that a kindred spirit exists just out of sight but blocked by the cruel mistress that is physics.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
the fan art of cruel mistress physics between the two star crossed spinning storms :allears:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Grundulum posted:

I don’t think it’s possible for a tropical cyclone to make it to the equator (not a meteorologist, though). Your characters will be separated by the horizon, knowing that a kindred spirit exists just out of sight but blocked by the cruel mistress that is physics.

yeah the circular motion of a hurricane is caused by the Coriolis effect. it's sort of easier to imagine it in cylindrical coordinates, not spherical. the same angular momentum of a cloud at different latitudes will be at different ground velocities, and since momentum is for the most part conserved you'll have clouds that move towards the poles leading the clouds that are closer to the equator, which makes a little vortex. this doesn't work at the equator, you'll have the polewards clouds both moving faster than the center when it's at the equator, which wont give you a rotation. you can still have a ton of moisture in the atmosphere, it just wont be spinning.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.
https://twitter.com/averytomascowx/status/1447678944497610753
buy him an account

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Wait what the gently caress I blinked and we're at Hurricane P?? What in the world I think we were at L or M last I looked...

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

dr_rat posted:

Is Hawaii the line? Like could a Typhoon and Hurricane meet in the middle of a Hawaii Ladyhawk style, and fall in love.. or you know, just bang trashly?

Need to know quick, got a Tingle'esq erotica to write!

The perfect....romance

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

you missed hurricane ligma but when it loops around u can catch hurricane ligma 2

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Wait what the gently caress I blinked and we're at Hurricane P?? What in the world I think we were at L or M last I looked...
that’s the pacific…Atlantic is almost to the end of the list

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh my God... OH MY GOD

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
One of those was a Cat 4?!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

We've had four major hurricanes this season so far.

Ida was the real bad one, which nuked Louisiana.

Grace made it to Major Hurricane Status (Cat 3 or above) and hit Mexico which did a lot of damage. The other two strong ones were Larry and Sam which both stayed out to sea for the most part.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

Ida was the real bad one, which nuked Louisiana.

new jersey lost like 50 people from ida

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

new jersey lost like 50 people from ida
Yes that's very true...the remnants caused catastrophic flooding in NY and NJ

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

https://twitter.com/bom_nsw/status/1448520059132026882?s=21

:stare:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
it’s ok

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I had to drive through Pamela earlier. was pretty crazy having water splash up from the sides of the road. not particularly bad tho and it seemed to move through pretty fast. I think this might’ve been the first recognizable tropical storm here, usually everything withers away before. these pacific thingers have some potential.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
what are you supposed to do in a tornado if you don't have a basement?

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

redleader posted:

go to the innermost room without windows and preferably stand in a door frame, iirc. you're still gonna die if your house gets a direct hit, but it'll give you a higher chance of not being hit by debris if it just skirts by you

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

redleader posted:

straddle your roof and just wizard of oz/dr stangelove that poo poo.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

redleader posted:

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Luckily the tornado warning got cancelled shortly after it was issued and there were no tornadoes but I’ve never seen a tornado warning for Sydney before. There was an actual tornado the other week out in regional NSW and that was bizarre enough for most people. We don’t even know where it sat in the scale because it didn’t go over any wind speed recorders.
We have an underground car park but no basement where I live. The bathroom has no exterior walls and would be the safest I guess.

There has to be a good Wizard of Oz joke in here somewhere.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

redleader posted:

Go to the innermost room, preferably with no windows. If it's a bathroom, lay in the tub with a comforter over you, it will help protect you from flying debris

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

kater posted:

I had to drive through Pamela earlier. was pretty crazy having water splash up from the sides of the road. not particularly bad tho and it seemed to move through pretty fast. I think this might’ve been the first recognizable tropical storm here, usually everything withers away before. these pacific thingers have some potential.

Were you in Mexico? The system itself never made it to Texas. You drove through a cold front.

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/archive/2021/ep16/ep162021.discus.016.shtml

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2021_Pacific_hurricane_season#Hurricane_Pamela

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Cold front my rear end. It never went below 70 yesterday. I would call it slightly at room temperature front.