Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

isn't Tig the head engineer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Problematic Soup posted:

Starfleet Research is at the bleeding edge of pedi-engineering for superior footware comfort and arch support. To choose the replicator pattern of another type of boot would be illogical. <arches eyebrow>

Perhaps he got them at the 24th century equivalent of an army surplus store. They've got uniform pieces, pattern enhancers, trident scanners, antigravs, all that good Starfleet-spec stuff. (But be on your guard -- some less-than-reputable shops have been known to paint a purple stripe on a regular old scanner to try to pass it off as a T-88.)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
if you use federation built replicators, they pretty much slap the fed insignia on anything you make unless requested otherwise. If you saw someone order a frothy milk drink, the replicator would use cinnamon to dust a little emblem in the foam.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Grumbles posted:

Oh okay whatever, I mean he certainly fits the engineer archetype on the show and just kind of assumed that was his job. But you know what I mean. He's super uptight and a stickler, and I loved watching the character very slowly mellow out due to tripping being a key part of his working life.

I agree with you about his character.

It's just that it's also an example of DISCO being dumb about Trek things. There's no actual engineering set or engineer but they have Voltron launch tubes for their fighter pods that they use in exactly one episode

Whiz bang wowee loving science!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It’s a science ship with a science focus and a science lab set instead of an engineering. :shrug:

Problematic Soup
Feb 18, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

(But be on your guard -- some less-than-reputable shops have been known to paint a purple stripe on a regular old scanner to try to pass it off as a T-88.)

Military surplus. Military surplus never changes.

And I have now established in my head canon that sneakerheads are much more common on Earth than other planets, and due to their extremely strong presence in Starfleet Research, the pedi-engineering group have become the go-to place all across the Federation, and allied worlds for all non-Earth sneakerheads and assorted other footware enthusiasts.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s a science ship with a science focus and a science lab set instead of an engineering. :shrug:

I mean the set is whatever.

Not even having a chief engineer for 2 seasons in a prototype ship with more moving parts than any other doesn't seem a bit odd, though?

I'm glad Tig is there now but they found her randomly on a rock

The biggest issue is that at least some of the writers THINK Stamets is chief engineer and give people lines as though he was

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its too bad the chief engineer is only part time tho

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

I agree with you about his character.

It's just that it's also an example of DISCO being dumb about Trek things. There's no actual engineering set or engineer but they have Voltron launch tubes for their fighter pods that they use in exactly one episode

Whiz bang wowee loving science!

They did show us a (CG) engineering when they ejected the warp core, didn't they? Although it was very dark and vague. I seen to remember it being huge so they maybe they just showed the core being mounted in the turbolift dimension.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Problematic Soup posted:

Military surplus. Military surplus never changes.

And I have now established in my head canon that sneakerheads are much more common on Earth than other planets, and due to their extremely strong presence in Starfleet Research, the pedi-engineering group have become the go-to place all across the Federation, and allied worlds for all non-Earth sneakerheads and assorted other footware enthusiasts.

One thing that Star Trek never really touches on is how easy access to instantaneous manufacturing would lead to incredible social change in the same way (actually more so) that the internet has. Sneakerhead communities would be waiting for top designers to put their replicator codes onto whatever the Star Trek internet is called, there'd be limited file access for elitists (piracy would be as easy as it is now so having the new kicks first before they hit general distribution would be the status symbol), etc etc

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

according to this Stamets was both the science officer AND chief engineer

https://www.startrek.com/database_article/stamets

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Well someone had to oversee the months long refit of the warp drive that they don't use.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

One thing that Star Trek never really touches on is how easy access to instantaneous manufacturing would lead to incredible social change in the same way (actually more so) that the internet has. Sneakerhead communities would be waiting for top designers to put their replicator codes onto whatever the Star Trek internet is called, there'd be limited file access for elitists (piracy would be as easy as it is now so having the new kicks first before they hit general distribution would be the status symbol), etc etc

Not to be that guy but it's actually one of the fundamental tenets of Star Trek that does get touched on quite a bit - at least TNG era Trek. I can't remember the phrase they use - a post-money economy? - but because everyone has instant access to whatever they want, people's psychologies have shifted and nobody (at least in the Federation) really wants physical stuff any more. Every now and again there's an episode where someone from the past get anomolied onto the ship, and that's the big shock (there's a dude form the past who I think gets really stressed about his stock portfolio and everyone makes fun of what an old fashioned baby he's being). So the implication is that there would be no sneakerhead communities or status tied to possessions, because the economy is based around self-betterment instead of obtaining stuff, because obtaining stuff is really trivial.
Mostly, it's in the background, because it's not something the characters ever really have to think about. But there are moments where they butt heads against money-style economies (on the holodeck, outside of the federation, etc).

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 12, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Khanstant posted:

if you use federation built replicators, they pretty much slap the fed insignia on anything you make unless requested otherwise. If you saw someone order a frothy milk drink, the replicator would use cinnamon to dust a little emblem in the foam.

A Guinness with a TOS-style arrowhead in the foam but the department insignia is a shamrock

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

according to this Stamets was both the science officer AND chief engineer

https://www.startrek.com/database_article/stamets

That reads like a TV Guide article or something. I guess being on Startrek dot com gives it authority, but Mem Alpha says something very different.

It's not like it really matters anyway but chief engineer has been one of the main roles since forever (even if O'Brien had a slightly different title on DS9)

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

A Guinness with a TOS-style arrowhead in the foam but the department insignia is a shamrock

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

That reads like a TV Guide article or something. I guess being on Startrek dot com gives it authority, but Mem Alpha says something very different.

Yeah I remember there was a screen in season one that listed him as chief engineer and the writers explicitly said no that was a set dressing mistake, he's just the spore drive chief.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Porpoise With A Purpose posted:

https://twitter.com/realGulDukat/status/1447757776764252163

Somehow they managed to not completely mangle cardassian makeup?

They did so by removing about 90% of it. I didn't spot any in the trailer, but I am wondering now if we'll see any klingons in season 4 after being completely omitted last time.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
A single part-cardassian being in the federation is nbd anyway

It's really only interesting if they get into how cardassia itself joined

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I always figured that Cardassia joining would have been an inevitability after the repercussions of the Dominion War, tbh

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I always figured that Cardassia joining would have been an inevitability after the repercussions of the Dominion War, tbh

strong West German vibes

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The Bloop posted:

The Federation set up a screen in a courtyard on Cardassia. Two by two, Cardassians arrived

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Honestly, one of the most inappropriately funny moments in DS9 is showing the two corpses of the eternally screen-watching Cardassians after the planet gets fire bombed. They died doing what they loved.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Are there screens in the shelters? That's right, no. I'm staying right h--

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

So the implication is that there would be no sneakerhead communities or status tied to possessions, because the economy is based around self-betterment instead of obtaining stuff, because obtaining stuff is really trivial.
Mostly, it's in the background, because it's not something the characters ever really have to think about. But there are moments where they butt heads against money-style economies (on the holodeck, outside of the federation, etc).

The thing is, it's mentioned, it's bought up in a "crazy they don't have money" kind of way, but it's not explored much at all, because, eg, TNG, isn't about a post scarcity society in space, it's about naval exploration and diplomacy in space. Star Trek often goes out of its way to generate scarcity of resources (but future space resources) to avoid thinking about it.

Also yeah, obtaining stuff is trivial. But designing cool stuff? Difficult. Wearing cool stuff? Still cool. Knowing someone that designs cool stuff and only gives the plans to their friends/distributed social group? Still cool. Fashion still exists in the future. Post scarcity, perhaps more so, since it's not about what you can afford, it's about what groups you're in with.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Bloop posted:

It's always important to remember that they were in the midst of a decades-long military junta. Once that collapsed with the Dominion War, it's not hard to believe that they eventually aligned with and joined the Federation, especially given how badly the Dominion hosed them up.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The thing is, it's mentioned, it's bought up in a "crazy they don't have money" kind of way, but it's not explored much at all, because, eg, TNG, isn't about a post scarcity society in space, it's about naval exploration and diplomacy in space. Star Trek often goes out of its way to generate scarcity of resources (but future space resources) to avoid thinking about it.

Also yeah, obtaining stuff is trivial. But designing cool stuff? Difficult. Wearing cool stuff? Still cool. Knowing someone that designs cool stuff and only gives the plans to their friends/distributed social group? Still cool. Fashion still exists in the future. Post scarcity, perhaps more so, since it's not about what you can afford, it's about what groups you're in with.

I mean, it is kind of about a post scarcity society in space in that it's an exploration of what makes people tick when all the money stuff is out of the picture. The backdrop of the show is very much 'what would we be like in a utopia, and how would that utopia hold up against different kinds of civilizations'. So I still think that, at least in the more rigidly dogmatic to the vision TNG era, people only really care about doing cool stuff rather than owning cool stuff.

I mean, isn't it suggested that any art or aesthetic object is freely ditributed through the federation? I remember there being a plot where a character "sells" their book to a publisher, and it's mentioned that they're only using "sell" as a figure of speech because they'll get no money for it and it'll be freely available. I'd think it'd be the same deal for designers.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

The Grumbles posted:

Not to be that guy but it's actually one of the fundamental tenets of Star Trek that does get touched on quite a bit - at least TNG era Trek. I can't remember the phrase they use - a post-money economy? - but because everyone has instant access to whatever they want, people's psychologies have shifted and nobody (at least in the Federation) really wants physical stuff any more. Every now and again there's an episode where someone from the past get anomolied onto the ship, and that's the big shock (there's a dude form the past who I think gets really stressed about his stock portfolio and everyone makes fun of what an old fashioned baby he's being). So the implication is that there would be no sneakerhead communities or status tied to possessions, because the economy is based around self-betterment instead of obtaining stuff, because obtaining stuff is really trivial.

Funny enough the Orville kind of answer this to. With out the need to get "things" people instead strive for Status, Acknowledgement, and/or Power. Like become the most respected scientist in a specific field, write a popular novel, become a Starfleet Captian, etc. So sneakerheads would be a group of people competing with each other to create the greatest sneaker the universe has ever seen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I Am Fowl posted:

It's always important to remember that they were in the midst of a decades-long military junta. Once that collapsed with the Dominion War, it's not hard to believe that they eventually aligned with and joined the Federation, especially given how badly the Dominion hosed them up.

Yeah if the Cardassians were telling the truth, they were peaceful artsy types before the fascists took over. Presumably the occupation would involve some sort of de-Gulification campaign.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

Yeah if the Cardassians were telling the truth, they were peaceful artsy types before the fascists took over. Presumably the occupation would involve some sort of de-Gulification campaign.

Based on the evidence of the show, post war Cardassia would end up being run by a mixture of sinister ex-military like Damar, still more sinister ex-spooks like Garak, and clueless morally tormented civil servants like a less dead Marritza. This will totally work

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

BexGu posted:

So sneakerheads would be a group of people competing with each other to create the greatest sneaker the universe has ever seen.

Yeah this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, a post scarcity society has room for all sorts of subcultures and experimentation.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeah this is the kind of thing I'm talking about, a post scarcity society has room for all sorts of subcultures and experimentation.

and yet they spend their time badly staging Shakespeare

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

This is how you get weirdos making custom holodeck programs like Vic Fontaine. Not that I dislike Vic Fontaine. I love Vic!

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
The future is weirdly into whatever is in the public domain!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

There’s also an undercurrent of “authenticity” when it comes to possessions. Sure, everyone can have a replicated Mona Lisa that’s identical to the original down to the molecular level, but there’s still only one Mona Lisa. I’m not sure if the Collector’s Guild is part of the Federation or not, and, if so, how they acquire and grow their collections if they don’t use money, but there’s definitely examples of people in the Federation who take pride in owning their great-great-great grandmother’s sextant or whatever.

Post-scarcity sneakerheads could be super into combing through antique stores looking for an authentic pair of 2273s Jordans (the year they switched to isoelastic insoles) for their collection.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

It's important to remember that the "post-scarcity" of the Federation does have limits. In particular, replicators may be extremely useful but they aren't magic. There were occasional mentions of industrial replicators, but for the most part they were used only on a small, personal scale -- food, clothing, handheld objects. They don't replicate starships. They don't have, say, huge replicators constantly spitting out millions of gallons of water to make an artificial river. When post-occupation Bajor was going hungry, they didn't just give everyone a replicator and call it done, they used heavy equipment to fix their farmland and get their agricultural sector going. And all those freighters coming and going at DS9 were hauling things in bulk -- whatever they were carrying, it was presumably infeasible for it to just be replicated at the destination instead.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean like the universal translator, they are basically magic

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m working my way through the season of Lower Decks in preparation for the finale on Thursday and I have to say one of my favourite slow-burn jokes was the Voyager-D line Mariner drops to try and get into the Starfleet party.

Is just bullshitting the dude, or has Starfleet really lost four Voyagers in as many years since the OG ship got back from the Delta Quadrant? Because they have to get to J eventually by the 32nd century.

Begs the question, they thought Voyager was lost for a while.. did they have a replacement Voyager already before they found out the other one was in the Delta Quadrant?

blastron posted:

There’s also an undercurrent of “authenticity” when it comes to possessions. Sure, everyone can have a replicated Mona Lisa that’s identical to the original down to the molecular level, but there’s still only one Mona Lisa. I’m not sure if the Collector’s Guild is part of the Federation or not, and, if so, how they acquire and grow their collections if they don’t use money, but there’s definitely examples of people in the Federation who take pride in owning their great-great-great grandmother’s sextant or whatever.

Post-scarcity sneakerheads could be super into combing through antique stores looking for an authentic pair of 2273s Jordans (the year they switched to isoelastic insoles) for their collection.

Until you get to the question of if something that's been transported is still the same thing on the other side. Has it been beamed up? Has it been beamed up during an ion storm? Is there a "Thomas" Mona Lisa running around somewhere out there?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nullsmack posted:

Begs the question, they thought Voyager was lost for a while.. did they have a replacement Voyager already before they found out the other one was in the Delta Quadrant?
Admiral! You won't believe this, but we just got a message from Voyager!

...no, the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I assume they wouldn't reuse a registry/name for a ship that was LOST lost rather than verifiably destroyed lost

:lost: