Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
They’re building a giant new hanger for border processing at the Portsmouth port and it’s gonna gently caress everything up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Can't the ships just use our 2,000 miles of canals and navigable rivers and other scenic waterways to dock and unload directly at the cities where the stuff is needed? Please give me a cabinet position.

If Thomas Telford had just a bit of foresight we *could* ship ISO containers along the canals but the big idiot only made his locks 7 feet wide. I'm glad we named such a poo poo town after him.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I would suggest the fact that it is a violent, racist shithole might be because power does not, in fact, change hands.

Ah but you see by implying that the powerful are a set group... You must mean Jewish people and therefore...blah blah jimminy Corbyn the bins... Blah

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mebh posted:

Labour currently seems to be playing a long game of not being left holding the lovely stick also don't piss off capital.

I think they're banking that as long as they can say "wasn't us" the electorate will forgive them eventually. I don't think so though.

Not least because the sew-up between the current government and the media are perfectly happy to blame things on "the last labour government" indefinitely and Starmer et al will do nothing but say "we agree that it was our fault, we're really sorry"

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If Thomas Telford had just a bit of foresight we *could* ship ISO containers along the canals but the big idiot only made his locks 7 feet wide. I'm glad we named such a poo poo town after him.

Dig for victory 2

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Total Meatlove posted:

Dig for victory 2

As someone who lives in London, I feel perfectly qualified to suggest that building a new container port in [checks route of Grand Union Canal] anywhere between London and Birmingham would greatly improve the character of the region.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Did the HGV examiner really tell Keith that he needs to keep more to the left or is that a twitter thing thats been made up.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But not want to eat TOO much else you might just eat it all in one go and flame out on a glorious tinned custard binge. Memories of my 6 month Millenium Bug stash spring to mind when I ate about 100 cans of tinned custard / tinned rice pud in under a month before the millenium even started. Strictly functional food that you never crave in my stashes these days!

Jaeluni your occasional mentions of your tinned custard binge never fail to make me laugh. I imagine your display picture driving to Dundee in bare feet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Jakabite posted:

Jaeluni your occasional mentions of your tinned custard binge never fail to make me laugh. I imagine your display picture driving to Dundee in bare feet

Happy to brighten your occasional day, but I don't get the Dundee/bare feet thing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Seems like a very specific custard/barefoot/Dundee fetish

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Happy to brighten your occasional day, but I don't get the Dundee/bare feet thing.

It's an Alan Partridge reference - in S2 of I'm Alan Partridge he keeps referring to the nervous breakdown he had between S1 and S2, stuffing Tolberones in his face while driving to Dundee in his bare feet. Which sounds a lot harsher out of context (and as a reference to make to another poster for that matter) but trust me it's funny.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gualalaragagnanmanahananmananan LYN

LYYYYYYYYN

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Mebh posted:

Hail fellow Sheff goon! Is the Manor top fish bar as good as they say?
Still looking for the best chippy around here. Though! Local is really decent.
New Cod On The Block up in Walkley used to be very good, but I haven’t lived anywhere near it for a few years. And now I’m gluten-free I can probably never have fish and chips again :cry:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/oct/12/calls-for-inquiry-as-negative-covid-pcr-tests-after-positive-lateral-flow-reported

quote:

Scientists are calling for an urgent investigation after dozens of reports of people testing negative using gold-standard Covid PCR tests, despite testing positive on rapid lateral flow tests, and in many cases experiencing Covid-like symptoms.

This happened to both my co-workers. Positive LTF tests but negative PCR tests the next day, until they took second PCR 4/5 days later while definitely suffering covid symptoms and then the second was positive. Seems to take the PCR much longer to pick up than the LTF.
We're working on the basis that if the LTF shows positive, then stay home and if we were all in the office (like happened 2 weeks ago, we all tested negative in the morning then 1 did another LTF in the evening and tested postive), then we all self-isolate as much as possible even if our own tests are negative.

I've also been doing as much isolation as possible this last two weeks because we have a residents meeting on Thursday evening which I chair and most of my co-residents are over 80 and will be on course to getting their boosters in the next few weeks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
you loving useless bastards all guessed the wrong numbers

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

You could go door-to-door telling people both parties are poo poo.

Didn't know you were a lib dem

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

you loving useless bastards all guessed the wrong numbers

I'm going for the real prize of a signed copy of the illustrated Ragged Trousered Philanthropists for guessing how many cups of tea are pictured in the book.

Probably still going to be the wrong number though

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

TACD posted:

New Cod On The Block up in Walkley used to be very good, but I haven’t lived anywhere near it for a few years. And now I’m gluten-free I can probably never have fish and chips again :cry:

My son is coeliac and on our summer holiday we had excellent GF F&C from a chippy in Hove. Do a search - there are quite a few that do proper Gf.

Eg https://www.mygfguide.com/gluten-free-fish-chips-uk-coeliac-friendly/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I like just floured fish, conceivably you might be able to use corn flour?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can make tempura from rice flour, I bet that would go well with a lot of fish.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Floured fish. Jesus. Way to give up on life

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah you can make a batter from any flour I think, and I don't know that I would describe fried fish as being glutinous so I don't think you would lose any particular desirable quality for the substitution.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I like just floured fish, conceivably you might be able to use corn flour?

You can also easily buy frozen GF fish fingers or fillets. Fish batter is something where one doesn’t require the specific properties of gluten so it’s easy to get a good outcome with GF alternatives. And chips obviously can be GF as long as they are fried in oil that hasn’t had gluten products fried in it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Make fish quesadillas.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apocalypse food stash:

I have 6 cans of co-op sliced carrots 'best before' Oct 2021 (bought 2 years ago for the brexitocalpyse) so I'm having half a can a day. Yuck. They are foul.
If anyone is thinking of getting any dried mixed veg from buywholefoodsonline (my 2kg stash of dried mixed veg has a 'best before' of March 2022 and once opened a bag has a shelf life of approx 6 weeks), I've checked and their current 'best before' date on those is January 2023.

Tinned veg is best in soups or stews, because I find it has a strange texture if just boiled and eaten.

I had a small Brexit stash which came in handy when lockdown 1 hit, because I had a spare pack of toilet paper and bread mix. That has morphed into keeping a two-week stash of any essentials in case I ended up self-isolating and couldn't book a supermarket delivery.

My workplace sent an email round today warning that they were only getting around half of the expected deliveries of food, and to expect there to be shortages of sandwiches and other pre-packaged meals available in the canteen. Fortunately they have 'stocked up' on frozen foods, but the hot food on offer may be different to what was supposed to be on the menu.

The blame was placed on a lack of hospitality staff and HGV driver shortages. They specifically mentioned that the companies that make the packaged foods are finding it hard to get both basic ingredients and the packaging.

This is a large workplace. It has money to throw at suppliers, and if it can't get food then I don't see how smaller companies will.

Edit:

OwlFancier posted:

And yet I photographed this at lidl less than an hour ago:

So obviously the important stuff is still getting through :colbert:

OwlFancier's gorgeous nature photography skills on display once again.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Oct 12, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
That toilet lid would make me feel like I'm making GBS threads into the Dark Tower...

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol, this is shaping up to be an even shitter Christmas than last year. Everyone gets to huddle together for warmth because the heating is too expensive, pick over whatever scraps are left in the cupboard and repackage old tat from around the house in lieu of actual presents.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

You can also easily buy frozen GF fish fingers or fillets. Fish batter is something where one doesn’t require the specific properties of gluten so it’s easy to get a good outcome with GF alternatives. And chips obviously can be GF as long as they are fried in oil that hasn’t had gluten products fried in it.

Some food has made the switch over to being gluten free. There is lots of frozen fish done gluten free.
Breaded chicken is another one. Beef burgers are on mass most likely to be done gluten free as all they had to do was use gluten free Crumbs to keep the meat together.
Surprisingly enough most chicken burgers and turkey burgers aren't done gluten free for whatever reason.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Waitrose trip report:

Forgot to post this earlier.

They're really pushing their Essentials range. They're in pride of place all round the store. Freezer cabinets half empty. Lots of their posher stuff in the 'reduced' fridge (but still quite expensive).

Suggests to me that they've noticed their clientele feeling the pinch. There's just Waitrose, Home Bargains, Iceland, Lidl and a tiny Co-op in this town.
There is a Morrisons about 10 miles away and big Tesco and Sainsbury about 20 miles away (in different directions).

Ed: Also couldn't help noticing they've started putting uncovered cakes and bread out again ready for everyone to cough all over.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 12, 2021

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

therattle posted:

My son is coeliac and on our summer holiday we had excellent GF F&C from a chippy in Hove. Do a search - there are quite a few that do proper Gf.

Eg https://www.mygfguide.com/gluten-free-fish-chips-uk-coeliac-friendly/
This looks like a handy resource, cheers! I feel like this one page is more useful than the entire Coeliac UK charity has been

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lady Demelza posted:

OwlFancier's gorgeous nature photography skills on display once again.

It's actually quite a nice image and the texturing is neat, I just don't understand why it's on a toilet seat, or who thinks textured toilet seats are a selling point.

My grandmother had a carpeted bathroom and a shag toilet seat cover, and she is the only person I would trust to have one because she basically bathed the entire house in bleach once a week.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Do you know how many shag-foals die to make those toilet seats?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, this is shaping up to be an even shitter Christmas than last year. Everyone gets to huddle together for warmth because the heating is too expensive, pick over whatever scraps are left in the cupboard and repackage old tat from around the house in lieu of actual presents.
It'll be just like that war all the boomers won.

I don't normally do winter holiday shopping in advance, but I got a small gift for everyone who's getting one back in late summer, because I had a feeling some poo poo like this would happen after last year and the national habit of not learning anything.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Simon Harris upset FB again (he does sarcastically named fund-raisers eg the Flying Farage for the RNLI. I think this one was originally posted as to raise money for impoverished MP Bottomley - but not really) so he has reworded his post:

Link to fundraiser

https://www.gofundme.com/f/heatingandeating

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yes it was an alan partridge reference, entirely affectionate of course

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

serious gaylord posted:

Did the HGV examiner really tell Keith that he needs to keep more to the left or is that a twitter thing thats been made up.

It's on the front page of the beeb right now so seems real

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Simon Harris upset FB again (he does sarcastically named fund-raisers eg the Flying Farage for the RNLI. I think this one was originally posted as to raise money for impoverished MP Bottomley - but not really) so he has reworded his post:

Link to fundraiser

https://www.gofundme.com/f/heatingandeating

His fundraiser makes the point that foodbanks often need 'no cook' items, or things that can be made with a kettle or microwave only. I have volunteered in my local foodbank and know that it can be really hard to put together a decent food parcel when all you've got is a tray of beef and tomato pot noodles, a loaf of bread, and some fruit that's about to turn. Even a couple of those John West tuna pasta meals (or something similar) could have livened it up and they usually count as a portion of veg too.

And a gentle reminder that some people don't have can openers. Ring pull tins are good, donating a can opener, if you are able to, is even better.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

It's actually quite a nice image and the texturing is neat, I just don't understand why it's on a toilet seat, or who thinks textured toilet seats are a selling point.

My grandmother had a carpeted bathroom and a shag toilet seat cover, and she is the only person I would trust to have one because she basically bathed the entire house in bleach once a week.

My granny had a shag toilet seat cover and even as a kid it weirded me out. She also had a knitted bogroll cover with a ballerina figure on the top and is loo roll really that vulgar?

Meanwhile my cousin as a student lived in a flat with carpeted bathrooms. Carpeted student bathrooms, possibly the stupidest idea a landlord has had.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Clearly he was taking the piss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Had a look at Weetos again for old times sake and lol, she's still pumping out the takes

https://twitter.com/francesweetman/status/1447885883202576386?s=20

She's always been TERF-adjacent iirc, being a HarryPotter Centrist, but christ she's not even bothering to hide it now.

Quite impressive that she doesn't see the irony in:

1) Adamantly opposing harassment (read: people being mean towards) 'gender critical' academics who openly advocate for the removal of trans-rights and serve to give powerful cultural legitimacy to bigotry.
2) Losing the absolute plot at left-wingers she deems 'antisemitic', usually with zero evidence*, and actively participating in dogpiles sometimes to the point of trying to get people sacked.

I feel like, just maybe, she might be being a little selective in her outrage!

*Or with 'evidence' that actually stems from her own plentiful stores of racism - i.e. 'Bankers are shits you say? Well, guess what, Hitler, if you kill all the moneylenders you'd be doing another holocaust because they're all Jewish! I am very smart and a heroically brave warrior for racial justice.')

that's all the weetposting I'll be doing do not worry, just seemed a succinct example of this kind of cynical garbage