Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
There should have been a counter opportunity somewhere in the final boss air phase or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

It definitely felt weird to me that the horizontal sweep wasn't counterable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main problem i had with the final boss was the second phase which is just a drag since i had trouble finding openings to do damage. it's really attritional too, unless i'm missing something it didn't have any openings for counter heals.

the last phase is just a harder first phase and isn't that bad

The thing about the second phase is that it's fairly easy to avoid damage. if he is charging up his beam in any direction other than diagonal, start screw attacking around him in a circle. if he does anything else, hit the crouch slide and go in either direction. no counters, no rapid melee, none of that. I had a few attempts where I got through untouched just because it's so telegraphed.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
final boss yeah it's not hard, it's just long and attritional. the challenge is more to find practical openings to missile him while screwattacking around the machine gun attacks

also both of his Big Ball o Energy attacks can heal you if you powerbomb it

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
lategame boss spoilers: hey whats a reasonable amount of damage. is it 6 full energy tanks, maybe? is that reasonable, do you think.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Blaziken386 posted:

lategame boss spoilers: hey whats a reasonable amount of damage. is it 6 full energy tanks, maybe? is that reasonable, do you think.

Something must have triggered there. That guy hits hard, but he does not hit that hard.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Blaziken386 posted:

just get good lol???

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i cant help but to wonder if samus hates the speed booster puzzles as much as i do

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

I, uh, don’t think that’s supposed to happen?

cuntman.net posted:

i cant help but to wonder if samus hates the speed booster puzzles as much as i do

Samus already figured them out and is waiting for your slow rear end to catch up

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Blaziken386 posted:

That's definitely a bug.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Only thing I can think of is you turned around right before the hit maybe it was like, backstab bonus damage. Is that on hard or normal?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
he's very strong

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

final boss yeah it's not hard, it's just long and attritional. the challenge is more to find practical openings to missile him while screwattacking around the machine gun attacks

also both of his Big Ball o Energy attacks can heal you if you powerbomb it

I found very easy openings even when going around him with his 360 shot by dashing at the peak above him which brought me out of screw attack mode, turning and getting 1-2 missile locks for storm missiles up his rear end. Multiple times I've definitely gone through most or all of phase2 without being touched, but easily getting plenty of hits in.

Blaziken386 posted:

You can still shoot storm missiles while jumping, screw attacking or anything. It's your fault for standing there and getting backstabbed like a chump.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

Backstabs do more damage, obviously

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Finally started playing this, am stuck on Kraid because I have to claw hand to charge, move, aim, and shoot simultaneously. And then sometimes she just refuses to duck, making me take a giant hit. I didn't have any issues really at all thus far, but with having to avoid so much, I'm finally hitting a wall.

Note that I may have gotten there two early since I only have two energy tanks. However, it annoys me because I know the pattern and should be able to beat him easily but can't because of the control layout (as reference, I speedrun Fusion and Zero Mission for fun, so I'm not new to the series) and my hands literally hurt after a few tries.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darko posted:

Finally started playing this, am stuck on Kraid because I have to claw hand to charge, move, aim, and shoot simultaneously. And then sometimes she just refuses to duck, making me take a giant hit. I didn't have any issues really at all thus far, but with having to avoid so much, I'm finally hitting a wall.

Note that I may have gotten there two early since I only have two energy tanks. However, it annoys me because I know the pattern and should be able to beat him easily but can't because of the control layout (as reference, I speedrun Fusion and Zero Mission for fun, so I'm not new to the series) and my hands literally hurt after a few tries.

I guess I don't get this complaint because you don't need to claw hand. The weak points can he shot directly.

Admittedly I play Devil May Cry so this is like Baby Mode compared to the hell that is Nero

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah if you're having issues using the missiles there during the second phase, just spam your blaster at him

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Blaziken386 posted:

Hard mode?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Finally beat the game, 11 hours, took waaaaay too many backtrack breaks. Looking forward to trying a faster run now that I know the general feel of things and that "just keep going forward until you have the screw attack" is pretty much the best course of action completion-wise.

Final boss owns, story developments own, game owns.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Darko posted:

Finally started playing this, am stuck on Kraid because I have to claw hand to charge, move, aim, and shoot simultaneously.

and my hands literally hurt after a few tries.

how the hell are you holding your controller. stop it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah I don’t know how your hand is positioned but it can’t be optimal

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Darko posted:

Finally started playing this, am stuck because I have to claw hand to charge, move, aim, and shoot simultaneously.

What the hell are you claw gripping? Both index fingers over L1 and R1, your right thumb over both the jump and shoot buttons, and your left thumb on the left stick.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you should be nice to the lobster people imo

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

you should be nice to the lobster people imo

This is the exact opposite lesson I have learned from the Metroid series.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

DelphiAegis posted:

You can still shoot storm missiles while jumping, screw attacking or anything. It's your fault for standing there and getting backstabbed like a chump.
i am aware. i cut out the ~20seconds beforehand of me doing just that. One mistake due to not having perfect reflexes should not have insta-killed me, is the thing

Lastdancer posted:

Only thing I can think of is you turned around right before the hit maybe it was like, backstab bonus damage. Is that on hard or normal?
hard mode.

that said, I just beat the final boss on hard mode, and none of his attacks did anywhere near that much damage. because, y'know, he's actually balanced well.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Caved and looked up a speed block solution :negative:

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

I just finished the last boss after dozens of tries and had that one magical attempt where I nailed every dodge, slide, parry and lock-on and it felt loving fantastic. This game rules, Raven Dad pretending to be a computer is incredible, and I loved the green lights on Samus' suit getting longer and longer like a Metroid's fangs growing. Gonna spend the next week walking around my house making EMMI beeping noises.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Okay so just tell me one thing straight. I keep seeing speed booster blocks that can't be straightforwardly broken because there's no space to get up to speed. Do the intended methods for these involve drastically extending your shinespark state past normal by keeping it after sparking like you can in earlier Metroids, or am I missing some kind of upgrade I just haven't gotten to yet?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Okay so just tell me one thing straight. I keep seeing speed booster blocks that can't be straightforwardly broken because there's no space to get up to speed. Do the intended methods for these involve drastically extending your shinespark state past normal by keeping it after sparking like you can in earlier Metroids, or am I missing some kind of upgrade I just haven't gotten to yet?

The former, there's no upgrade that affects the Speed Booster.

Biggest things to keep in mind;

Wall jumping preserves the speed boost state
Sliding into a 1 tile area preserves the speed boost state
Spinesharking into a slope preserves it

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Zore posted:

The former, there's no upgrade that affects the Speed Booster.

Biggest things to keep in mind;

Wall jumping preserves the speed boost state
Sliding into a 1 tile area preserves the speed boost state
Spinesharking into a slope preserves it

also - the speed boost doesn't work like a sprint, where you need to be already moving before pressing L3. you can "prime" the boost by pressing L3 at a dead standstill, and then start running immediately after

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Whew, finally pulled it off. 100% items, and 11:02:54. I unlocked everything in the gallery but only one ending picture.

I don't think I'm good enough to handle a hard mode run considering how badly I was getting my rear end kicked on normal.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Speedboost being preserved by walljump is a big one - some of them seem to require you to play metroid pinball to get your boosted rear end in the right spot.

I'm only aware of two puzzles (at least based on how I did them) that require you to preserve you boost by sparking into a slope to chain multiple sparks together.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Should I really still have 6 energy tanks or so by the X-Chozo? I did two laps of the rest of the map. It feels weird always having three hits to die then losing in the cutscene poke lol

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005
ugh okay i beat the water boss and now i don't know where to go. i saw in the thread you don't get an item for this but i've looked everywhere and have no idea where to go next (i beat the 2nd chozo soldier as well)

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Starting hard mode now, and an early cutscene reminded me

Did anyone ever find out the significance of the blue butterfilies?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CuddleCryptid posted:

Starting hard mode now, and an early cutscene reminded me

Did anyone ever find out the significance of the blue butterfilies?

I am reasonably sure it's a "this way is progress" indicator

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

I am reasonably sure it's a "this way is progress" indicator

I figured the same thing

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

EightFlyingCars posted:

how the hell are you holding your controller. stop it

To hold down my beam which takes more HP than missiles, I'm holding down a button while simultaneously screwing with two other buttons. Means my hand is clinched constantly due to finger position and ends up hurting.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Yeah, sorry, this last boss is loving unreal. I've been through all three phases and it just takes loving forever, with nowhere near enough margin for error when you have to restart the fight over and over after losing the battle of attrition in phase 3. I'll just youtube the ending slides and call it a day. Great game right up until the last 1% of the content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Final boss is one of the game’s highlights imo