Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Extrano from New Guardians published by DC also had Aids/HIV, but no one gives a poo poo about New Guardians except for the one character whose super powers were powered by cocaine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skwirl posted:

Are kids today using new slurs or the same old ones we did without knowing, since because of streaming they at least have access to the same tv shows that treated those words as normal, no idea if they actually watch them?

I still hear kids call things gay.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Push El Burrito posted:

This was mostly just one person who happened to be the Editor in Chief. That tends to be how it is where the writers want to try new and interesting things with these characters and the higher ups are all "BUT THAT MIGHT HURT SALES" meanwhile the industry just keeps on dying.

I'm all for artistic vision I just don't really get where that one comes from, seems like a weird thing to focus on. And even if you wanted to make Spider-Man get divorced, Black Cat is right there yeah? Don't need to involve magic satan stuff.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Light Gun Man posted:

I'm all for artistic vision I just don't really get where that one comes from, seems like a weird thing to focus on. And even if you wanted to make Spider-Man get divorced, Black Cat is right there yeah? Don't need to involve magic satan stuff.

This particular guy was like "Nobody can identify with someone who is a married person in a good relationship, we need to undo it. Divorce? No, that's still too Adult, we need to crank things back another way."

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Midnight Voyager posted:

This particular guy was like "Nobody can identify with someone who is a married person in a good relationship, we need to undo it. Divorce? No, that's still too Adult, we need to crank things back another way."

Maybe Spider-Man has an undocumented power of being a Super Husband ever think of that smart guy editor??

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Joe Quesada, like Geoff Johns, is an example of a guy who got into and stayed in comics because they were way too attached to a few characters and got weirdly personal once they got control over them. It's telling about their personalities which aspects of the character they chose to get real particular about.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
It did lead to him rooming with Johnny Storm which lead to Annihilus on the toilet so who can say it was wrong.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Light Gun Man posted:

When I was a Spider-Man reading kid I appreciated that he was a poor student most of the time, but was also cool with him having a wife to come home to. Dude did a lot of work in the 90s marvel universe

He taught a cosmic cube to SHID and FARD. (That was mid-1980s I think tho?)

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Skwirl posted:

Are kids today using new slurs or the same old ones we did without knowing, since because of streaming they at least have access to the same tv shows that treated those words as normal, no idea if they actually watch them?

I don't know if this was some weird internet myth or actually true, but weren't teachers recently claiming that kids are now insulting others via calling them "default"s, as in "You only have the default skin on Fortnite, loser"?

Again, this may have just been some shitpost that people took and ran with, but I've definitely seen mention of this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's a logical evolution of calling people basic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I would love to be called basic. I'm 10 PRINT"PENUS":GOTO10 in the streets, but FOR I=1 TO 10000:BEEP:NEXT in the sheets.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Read After Burning posted:

I don't know if this was some weird internet myth or actually true, but weren't teachers recently claiming that kids are now insulting others via calling them "default"s, as in "You only have the default skin on Fortnite, loser"?

Again, this may have just been some shitpost that people took and ran with, but I've definitely seen mention of this.

Can confirm, I've heard 13 year olds calling each other default in the exact same tone and cadence as someone might call someone basic.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

His Divine Shadow posted:

I want a Tintin on the moon movie.

Okay,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPc8WkwnwzA

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Memento posted:

Can confirm, I've heard 13 year olds calling each other default in the exact same tone and cadence as someone might call someone basic.

I keep Fortnite installed for my nephews, and they do always bemoan my lack of any skins. They know better than to call me default, though

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gonna tell my kids this is Caillou.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Coolness Averted posted:

One writer wanted to give him AIDS, but everyone shot it down and instead he and his sister both had an unspecified magical wasting disease. A villain made his worse and something cured hers, so uh read that however you will.

I think the first hero to explicitly deal with HIV as an ongoing arc and die of AIDS was Image's Shadowhawk. Who of course contracted HIV because criminals held him down and injected him with infected blood, that thing that happened frequently in the 90's.

At some point it became canon that mutants can't catch HIV, but also Northstar wasn't a mutant for a bit, he was literally a fairy, but then he was a mutant again, and also they had the legacy virus as an AIDS metaphor.

X-Men have a complicated relationship with being a a gay metaphor.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

FOR I=1 TO 10000:BEEP:NEXT in the sheets.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

At some point it became canon that mutants can't catch HIV, but also Northstar wasn't a mutant for a bit, he was literally a fairy, but then he was a mutant again, and also they had the legacy virus as an AIDS metaphor.

X-Men have a complicated relationship with being a a gay metaphor.

That's because Chuck Austen didn't understand anything and went "Mutants are a different species so they can't catch HIV!"

He also self-inserted his wife as his favorite character's new girlfriend while making the character's established girlfriend an insane harpy, so you know, may as well just read whatever you find on Fanfiction.net.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Read After Burning posted:

I can stand by this one because I've ended up using similar to refer to people who perform no character customization when available.

C'mon, be a little more interesting than playing a regular-rear end dude. Try a little harder. Granted, that does fall apart a tad when cosmetics are only available through microtransaction, but for the most part it holds.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

https://twitter.com/antigravitylite/status/1447182981836296196

Even if that person is, in fact, Kanye....to claim that "his years of acting nuts was just some long-con publicity stunt" makes you look like both an idiot AND an rear end in a top hat.

Secondly:
https://twitter.com/ItsOladeni/status/1447194097643630599

Read After Burning has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Oct 13, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

That's because Chuck Austen didn't understand anything and went "Mutants are a different species so they can't catch HIV!"

He also self-inserted his wife as his favorite character's new girlfriend while making the character's established girlfriend an insane harpy, so you know, may as well just read whatever you find on Fanfiction.net.

Chuck Austen is often a loving terrible writer, but mutants being a different species was long established. They have a different taxonomy that's largely accepted by the scientific establishment.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Chuck Austen is often a loving terrible writer, but mutants being a different species was long established. They have a different taxonomy that's largely accepted by the scientific establishment.

Yeah but HIV originated in nonhuman primates. Quibbles about "making them a different species has PROBLEMS" aside, I think the species that is functionally identical to humans can probably catch HIV just fine. "H STANDS FOR HUMANS NYAH" is about as far as he thought anything through.

hell, let me save you guys from my nerdery, something I ran across:

https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1447277690898182144

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh no.

E: in response to some guy not giving enough thought to whether or not Arm Fall Off Boy can get AIDS.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cleretic posted:

I can stand by this one because I've ended up using similar to refer to people who perform no character customization when available.

C'mon, be a little more interesting than playing a regular-rear end dude. Try a little harder. Granted, that does fall apart a tad when cosmetics are only available through microtransaction, but for the most part it holds.
There's people who play stellaris exclusively as one of the two pre-made human factions.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Cleretic posted:

Almost universally I could not care less what my character looks like, especially when it has nothing to do with anything (as would be the case in any game you can customize your character)

At most I might hit a few buttons or just hit randomize a few times and go.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
When given the option to customize my character I go with a white guy, brown hair, named John.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Love to be really weird about how other people play video games

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
If they give you detailed face options I'll usually hit randomize a bunch of times until it looks like an actor or character I know, tweak it a bit, then I'll do a playthrough as Philip J Fry or Ron Perlman or Khan from Star Trek or whatever.

I remember in rock band 2 one of the face options looked like Stallone so we made a default house band of Cobra, Rambo, Demolition Man, and Rocky called Sly And The Family Stallone that guests could use during parties.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/RepStefanik/status/1448030719272390660

IM CANCELING YOU, DADDY!😭👋

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Kenning posted:

Yeah all of this is boring nerd jargon. If I'm 10 and at the zoo, I just wanna see some harbies.

Can we do dicks out for harbie still?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Harbie: Fully Loaded

Silly Newbie
Jul 25, 2007
How do I?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Can we do dicks out for harbie still?

Not in front of the kids at the zoo, no.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm so hungry I could eat at Harbies

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Mods please change my name to Charismatic Megaharbie

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Harbling for Harbie.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I never understood why mutants are treated as persecuted outcasts for their powers while Captain America or the Fantastic Four are celebrities

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

grittyreboot posted:

I never understood why mutants are treated as persecuted outcasts for their powers while Captain America or the Fantastic Four are celebrities

At the time they were created, there weren't that many people with big flashy powers in the Marvel world, and even folks like the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man often found themselves hated. It's only worked as a story for the last few decades when it focuses on weirder, more disturbing mutations and dangerous powers that manifest without warning.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

grittyreboot posted:

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I can think of plenty of real world examples where certain people are pop celebrities or enjoyed in other entertainment venues, but aren't given full rights or are told to shut up otherwise.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

theironjef posted:

it was just breathlessly excited kids exactly like any other kid on a field trip to the zoo, but they were calling everything harambes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Do people even remember that a three year old human child was involved?