Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Taking a Net + practice. First 20 questions from the pool are "You see traffic on THIS port. What is going on?"

Guess flashcard protocol/port memorization for something you would Google if even the slightest bit unsure about is the best way to handle that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Started my first IT job today. They require a number of required certs to be earned in the first 6 months of employment but I already have them all (Thanks WGU!). They suggest I go for the ITIL for in the mean time, anyone have experience with this cert? I think the other one was MCSA but that’s been deprecated I thought.

I already have Azure Associate but I would like to start on an AWS cert. I might be able to get them to pay for this too.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FCKGW posted:

Started my first IT job today. They require a number of required certs to be earned in the first 6 months of employment but I already have them all (Thanks WGU!). They suggest I go for the ITIL for in the mean time, anyone have experience with this cert? I think the other one was MCSA but that’s been deprecated I thought.

I already have Azure Associate but I would like to start on an AWS cert. I might be able to get them to pay for this too.

Congrats! The hardest part of IT is getting your foot in the door with that first gig.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

skipdogg posted:

Congrats! The hardest part of IT is getting your foot in the door with that first gig.

Thanks! I have had IT adjacent jobs before (retail pc repair, firmware QA testing) but yeah this is my first real IT job.

Yeast Confection
Oct 7, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Congrats! :yotj:
The ITIL foundations cert isn't bad. I used the official textbook and some cheap Udemy courses by Jason Dion for practice materialhttps://www.diontraining.com/udemy/
It's a straightforward memorizing definitions sort of exam.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
As far as MCSA goes, Microsoft switched to a role-based certification system. I’d probably look into MD100 and MD101 for the general “Windows IT” unless one of the other certifications better match your current job responsibilities.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone who has the AWS Practitioner cert have any good resources for learning, specifically a resource with a ton of hands-on labs? I'd like to get the Practitioner certificate and try to get an entry-level job working with it (and probably from there work on getting other cloud certs because it seems like that's what companies want). Anyway, I got a course on udemy for super cheap but it's the most dry and boring thing that I really struggle to get through. I'm just bombarded with concepts that I don't retain because it's not engaging. I don't know if I have ADHD or what but I know I learn better from doing than being told something. I know there's a ton of free resources out there but if anyone can recommend something I'd super appreciate it!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Jimbot posted:

Anyone who has the AWS Practitioner cert have any good resources for learning, specifically a resource with a ton of hands-on labs? I'd like to get the Practitioner certificate and try to get an entry-level job working with it (and probably from there work on getting other cloud certs because it seems like that's what companies want). Anyway, I got a course on udemy for super cheap but it's the most dry and boring thing that I really struggle to get through. I'm just bombarded with concepts that I don't retain because it's not engaging. I don't know if I have ADHD or what but I know I learn better from doing than being told something. I know there's a ton of free resources out there but if anyone can recommend something I'd super appreciate it!

For the AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner cert, there isn't that much hands-on stuff to know. I believe non-technical people such as sales staff get this cert. Its mostly about being familiar with the services AWS offers, which unfortunately came down to lots of memorization for me.

My advice would be to buy a bundle of practice tests and run through those, reading the answer explanations, until you become familiar with what AWS offers.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Yeah, no hands on required. Just memorize the services and functions for a week and take the test.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

unbutthurtable posted:

Honestly, the CCSP is probably a few months of pretty serious study, while the AWS CCP is maybe two weeks of the same.

So, you can do both, but it's probably better to start with the AWS CCP to have something to show for your effort sooner rather than later.

But also that CCSP voucher is probably worth like $750 or so right? I wouldn't sleep on that one and let it expire.

Coincidentally I did the CISSP early this year, then followed it with the intro cert for all three major public clouds, and after finishing the first of those (GCP ACE), the other two were just learning new names for services plus a couple minor gotchas.

Aren’t most of these relatively entry level certifications? I don’t think it’s a big red flag, if I was a hiring manager I’d just assume you learned it in classroom and got the certification because many colleges do offer this kind of program.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Aren’t most of these relatively entry level certifications? I don’t think it’s a big red flag, if I was a hiring manager I’d just assume you learned it in classroom and got the certification because many colleges do offer this kind of program.

Oh I don't think it's a red flag, not sure how I gave that impression. The only caveat is that ISC2, which does the CISSP/CCSP, does an experience verification and if you don't have the 5 years of experience, they don't give you the cert. They give you an "Associate of ISC2" status as a placeholder until you can prove the experience. Not a huge deal, but I do think they take it seriously if you misrepresent your status AND they find out (which probably is unlikely...but if the hiring manager is looking at your resume with no experience and CISSP, and they have theirs and give a poo poo, I could see someone reporting it to ISC2).

Jimbot posted:

Yeah, like everyone said, no labs are needed for AWS CCP. Also, I felt that AWS had the best free training out of the three providers, and I think the official AWS course for CCP was just as good as any paid courses for it. So yeah, don't spend money for anything besides the registration for that, is my advice.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

If you join the AWSome Day on October 13th you can get 50% off of your CCP exam.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I also suggest finding AWS recruiters on LinkedIn who are involved with Engineering Learning Series events.

I wish I had mentioned this to Hughmoris (or really anyone else looking to break into their first cloud gig) sooner, my bad!! I see they are doing virtual events right now. The most recent one in NA just happened last week and it sounds like AWS is picking back up on doing these: https://gettingstartedwithbigdata.splashthat.com/

tldr it's a 3 day seminar with in depth hands on training taught for free by AWS premium support. The last day has a technical challenge and completing it is an opportunity to directly go to a final round interview for an AWS premium support role. I did one of these in 2019 and ultimately turned it down, but still found it valuable for both the knowledge (the challenge is good to bring up in an interview) and how to navigate the FAANG interview gauntlet.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Still working on Cantrell's AWS SAA course. I know the answer can vary from person to person, but how long should such a course take to get through? I don't want to be a lazy and spend six months on it, but I'm also trying to pace myself especially through some of the very dry theory such as the inner workings of DNS and IP protocol.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Vorenus posted:

Still working on Cantrell's AWS SAA course. I know the answer can vary from person to person, but how long should such a course take to get through? I don't want to be a lazy and spend six months on it, but I'm also trying to pace myself especially through some of the very dry theory such as the inner workings of DNS and IP protocol.

A month is probably the longest I’d spend on the matter.

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011
So I've been studying for my A+ cert for the past few months. I don't have any prior background in IT work, and I've been trying to make a career change into this field. I ended up landing a Tier 1 Help Desk job working as a contractor for Dell, who has my team contracted out to another company that is serving various governmental offices and departments of the state in my region.

Is there any reason to continue to study for the A+ since I already landed an entry level gig? This job has me doing some basic troubleshooting (drive/printer mapping, password resets, proprietary software troubleshooting, attempting to resolve or diagnose network connection issues, etc.). Would my time be better spent working on another cert like Net+? I'm not really sure what sort of position I'd want to train to transition into at this point, but I want to keep working on my skills and qualifications to eventually get out of Help Desk land after a year or two.

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I feel like after 6 months-1 year of help desk experience, you're pretty much assumed to have the equivalent of A+, so yeah, it may not be worth your time.

I never got them, but if you're looking to move out of help desk, I do think Net+ and Sec+ are decent foundations and give you a few different options for paths to pursue from there.

They might not be quite enough to get out of help desk without someone taking a chance on you (which could happen).

If you want to pursue networking, CCNA is maybe best after those.

If you want to be more of a system administrator type role, then you should get some experience with server OSs, either Windows or Linux. If you're already a Windows user and have no experience with Linux already, learning Windows server admin stuff will be a lot faster than learning Linux from the ground up.

I don't know what Microsoft calls their server admin certs anymore, but it's probably something like MCSA or whatever.

If you want to do cloud stuff, having some server admin knowledge from those certs will be helpful, but you should also start going down a path with cloud certs. AWS is the most commonly used, then Azure, then Google Cloud. I'm partial to Google Cloud personally, but AWS has the better job market. Azure integrates more seamlessly with learning Windows server OS admin stuff (you'll also want to learn some PowerShell).

I do infosec sales engineering, so I have a CISSP and it was a good fit, but I'm not sure what you'd do between Sec+ and something like CISSP (which is something you should have a few years of infosec experience before pursuing) if you wanted to pursue a security career path. The cloud providers all have security certs if you want to go that direction after getting your feet wet with them.

So yeah, that's four-ish paths, with some crossover. Take your pick or make your own, I guess?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

unbutthurtable posted:

I don't know what Microsoft calls their server admin certs anymore, but it's probably something like MCSA or whatever.

Microsoft is doing some really interesting stuff in the endpoint space, at least in my opinion. Worth checking out their "Managing Modern Desktop" stuff if you've got your foot in the door and are looking for the next level, but trying to stay with something familiar.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/learn/certifications/exams/md-101

Pulvis Sumus
Jul 27, 2011

unbutthurtable posted:

I feel like after 6 months-1 year of help desk experience, you're pretty much assumed to have the equivalent of A+, so yeah, it may not be worth your time.

I never got them, but if you're looking to move out of help desk, I do think Net+ and Sec+ are decent foundations and give you a few different options for paths to pursue from there.

They might not be quite enough to get out of help desk without someone taking a chance on you (which could happen).

If you want to pursue networking, CCNA is maybe best after those.

If you want to be more of a system administrator type role, then you should get some experience with server OSs, either Windows or Linux. If you're already a Windows user and have no experience with Linux already, learning Windows server admin stuff will be a lot faster than learning Linux from the ground up.

If you want to do cloud stuff, having some server admin knowledge from those certs will be helpful, but you should also start going down a path with cloud certs. AWS is the most commonly used, then Azure, then Google Cloud. I'm partial to Google Cloud personally, but AWS has the better job market. Azure integrates more seamlessly with learning Windows server OS admin stuff (you'll also want to learn some PowerShell).

I do infosec sales engineering, so I have a CISSP and it was a good fit, but I'm not sure what you'd do between Sec+ and something like CISSP (which is something you should have a few years of infosec experience before pursuing) if you wanted to pursue a security career path. The cloud providers all have security certs if you want to go that direction after getting your feet wet with them.

So yeah, that's four-ish paths, with some crossover. Take your pick or make your own, I guess?

Thanks! That's helpful information. I'll probably just start working on Net+ and Sec+ then and re-evaluate where to go from there after I've had a year or so in my Help Desk role based on how my interests have changed. I'm hoping a little more exposure to the industry may help me develop some more specific interests.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Sec+ is the most “valuable” of the CompTIA stuff since a lot of gov jobs require it.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Anyone done ENCOR 350-401 recently? I just realized it's recert time for me and I might as well just finish up my CCNP instead of lazily redoing my CCNA again. Did they finally get rid of all the old Frame Relay and HDLC stuff or do I still need to pretend X.25 is still relevant in 2021?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Is LPIC-1 a respectable Linux cert? It's available on the education service my employer gave us access to.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

skooma512 posted:

Is LPIC-1 a respectable Linux cert? It's available on the education service my employer gave us access to.

It's an entry level Linux cert but in my opinion not very valuable. It's a multiple choice exam mainly testing your memorization of commands and flags which is something you can lookup any given moment when you ever need it.

I prefer the Red Hat exams which just give you a list of assignments saying: "configure your lab machine to do x, y and z" as that actually proves you're capable of configuring things in a reasonable time frame. The Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA) is the entry level course/exam for that. If your employer offers that, I'd take that over LPIC in any scenario.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

LochNessMonster posted:

It's an entry level Linux cert but in my opinion not very valuable. It's a multiple choice exam mainly testing your memorization of commands and flags which is something you can lookup any given moment when you ever need it.

I prefer the Red Hat exams which just give you a list of assignments saying: "configure your lab machine to do x, y and z" as that actually proves you're capable of configuring things in a reasonable time frame. The Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA) is the entry level course/exam for that. If your employer offers that, I'd take that over LPIC in any scenario.

Appreciate it!

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Honey, new windows server cert just dropped. The Windows Server Hybrid Administrator Associate certification is probably that stop-gap that old heads will need to move forward.

Hopefully I can get a beta pass to take it.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Completed the last course for my bachelor's degree at WGU today. Didn't think I'd ever graduate from a university, but here we are.

I still have a voucher for the CCSP exam so I'll be reviewing that material before I completely lose my study habits.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Actuarial Fables posted:

Completed the last course for my bachelor's degree at WGU today. Didn't think I'd ever graduate from a university, but here we are.

I still have a voucher for the CCSP exam so I'll be reviewing that material before I completely lose my study habits.

You finished your capstone?

Congrats! It’s a great feeling.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

That's really awesome. You should be immensely proud of yourself. I never finished college and there's no way I'd try at this point, so I can only imagine how great that feels. Congrats.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Actuarial Fables posted:

Congrats fellow WGU graduate! I started a new job two weeks ago and everyone mentioned how impressed they were with the combination of degree and all the certs I earned along with it.

I need to get my MD-100/MD-101 soon and then I probably work on my masters :)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Actuarial Fables posted:

Congrats! I'll be in the same boat once I'm done with my last 40 credits. Cannot wait.

I banged out all 4 of my classes last week so I messaged my mentor to throw a couple more classes into my term and she hasn't gotten back to me in two days. It also took two days for my last course instructor to simply approve my 4th attempt at D087. Kinda pissed that for an online school people have a hard time replying to an email lol

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I’m disappointed that I learned about WGU after I already graduated from a state college with $60k in debt and a degree in Networking & Security that I learned more about In a $13 udemy course. I did complete an MBA-ITM from WGU which was okay; would have liked more financial classes and it felt extremely easy overall but I’ve heard that’s typical for your average MBA program.

I signed up for the Personal Plan at udemy ($30) and so far I’m happy with it. It’s nice to be able to start a class and switch if you don’t like the instructor or material and to just target specific sections without feeling compelled to watch everything because you paid for it. Sure you don’t get to keep the videos after your subscription ends but I’ve never went back to a previous class before.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Do you have a link to the details on that plan? I have a Pluralsight sub but I'm curious what Udemy has to offer. I only see a la carte course purchases, not a subscription plan, except on the business side with team pricing.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

If you're looking for more cloud focuses courses I really enjoy and get a lot of use out of my ACloudGuru subscription with the cloud sandboxes.

Speaking of certs. Im about to go for my most useless/pointless cert yet! Did you know Jenkins has a cert behind it? It does!!!! Taking it in a few weeks. I dont really have any CI/CD "DevOps" experience on my resume so taking that to at least show I am somewhat knowledgeable in the area. I have spun up plenty of Jenkins VMs and integrated with my GitHub and Docker accounts and tooled around to get familiar with everything.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Thanks, everyone.

cage-free egghead posted:

Kinda pissed that for an online school people have a hard time replying to an email lol

Yeah, it's kind of frustrating when you're ready to keep pressing on but have to wait for faculty to be in the office. My program mentor is out for a week and they need to do some sort of approval before I can graduate, so I'm stuck in limbo for now. More time to take advantage of student discounts I guess.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

guppy posted:

Do you have a link to the details on that plan? I have a Pluralsight sub but I'm curious what Udemy has to offer. I only see a la carte course purchases, not a subscription plan, except on the business side with team pricing.

So under your account information there’s an option for Subscriptions and what is currently offered to you. They have two different versions called pro and personal and it seems to periodically change which one is offered. Mine switched back to the personal during the last sale so maybe that has something to do with it.

The pro plan is $20/mo and includes courses for 11 specific IT certifications but really doesn’t seem to be worth it. The personal plan for $30/mo seems to include all the courses you get for the business plan, which is listed here http://ude.my/djz18

I still have pluralsight and linkedin learning access as a WGU alumni but I much prefer what udemy offers. I believe WGU includes udemy business for actively enrolled students now.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 8, 2021

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks. Really strange if none of this is exposed to you unless you make an account. Also kind of strange that "Pro" is the crappier, cheaper one and "Personal" is the better one.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
A requirement for a DoD job I'm interested in requires one of the below certifications. Anyone have experience or advice on what might be "easiest" to earn in the list, and which might be considered the most valuable in today's environments? My initial thought is to go for the Security+ just because I've heard the most about it.

My background is data analytics and I currently have entry-level Azure and AWS certifications.

code:
CCNA Security
CySA+ **
GICSP
GSEC
Security+ CE
CND
SSCP
*To be more specific, it requires at least a IAT/M Level II certification

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

A requirement for a DoD job I'm interested in requires one of the below certifications. Anyone have experience or advice on what might be "easiest" to earn in the list, and which might be considered the most valuable in today's environments? My initial thought is to go for the Security+ just because I've heard the most about it.

My background is data analytics and I currently have entry-level Azure and AWS certifications.

code:
CCNA Security
CySA+ **
GICSP
GSEC
Security+ CE
CND
SSCP
*To be more specific, it requires at least a IAT/M Level II certification

Security+ is safe to say the easiest. It's also the one that 99.9% of people that work for the DoD that requires level II has/uses and the one anyone ever actually talks about. Plus it's super easy (a four hour training class) and fairly cheap to renew.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Cyks posted:

Security+ is safe to say the easiest. It's also the one that 99.9% of people that work for the DoD that requires level II has/uses and the one anyone ever actually talks about. Plus it's super easy (a four hour training class) and fairly cheap to renew.

Great. What's the name or platform of that 4-hour training class?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is the info in the OP up to date?