Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

The 60s japanese student riots were wild. But then you also got a lot of leftist leaders getting murdered, the old pre-war gangs being protected by the US as a vanguard against communism, etc.

There is a japanese counter-culture, it just doesn't get translated that often.

I think the guy who wrote “Beautiful Fighting Girl” was there during the riots (I could be misremembering it was in something I read recently), but all the translated media criticism I’ve read from Japan has all been through the lens of Leftist theory and some were sold in Japan during their first printings to the general public rather than just as poo poo for professors to assign to students, so there’s an audience for it out there in the least.

edit: nm he was in HS in the 80s, but I think he mentions it and he’s definitely left leaning.

TheMightyBoops has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

Having reasonable or even correct conclusions about your study of history isn't a strictly leftist thing, it just helps to be one. Attack on Titan has a similar problem where the broad themes and historical analysis are correct, but the solution to the problem still boils down to cutting off the head of Time Hitler. Liberal thinkers are just categorically incapable of moving past the crisis of liberalism because all their solutions inevitably lead to its recreation. If they're even aware of that big picture problem, then their answer is that history is cyclical.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Having reasonable or even correct conclusions about your study of history isn't a strictly leftist thing, it just helps to be one. Attack on Titan has a similar problem where the broad themes and historical analysis are correct, but the solution to the problem still boils down to cutting off the head of Time Hitler. Liberal thinkers are just categorically incapable of moving past the crisis of liberalism because all their solutions inevitably lead to its recreation. If they're even aware of that big picture problem, then their answer is that history is cyclical.

if gurren lagann taught me anything it's that history is a spiral

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

gurren lagann implies that steady state economics and comisc internationlism are the only way for civilization to move forward

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

TTGL obviously argues that a new mode of production must be found or society will stagnate and collapse, therefore TTGL is Marxist.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Stairmaster posted:

gurren lagann implies that steady state economics and comisc internationlism are the only way for civilization to move forward

gurren laggan is about punching above your weight and destroying the ruling class so hard you destroy space and time itself just so so they can't have existed in the first place

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL
hillary clinton is the anti spiral

edit: no i will not elaborate!!

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

hillary clinton is the anti spiral

edit: no i will not elaborate!!

information leading to the arre an increase in human population beyond one million

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Hodgepodge posted:

information leading to the arre an increase in human population beyond one million

epstein thread is that way

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

becoming antifa after a fascist cop says i have a girls name

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I like big o because it has big robots

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Dreddout posted:

Why would Nazi fetishization be okay for the country that was allied with the third reich, but suddenly out of bounds in the countries formerly opposed to nazism

For the record my position is that all three countries are (honorary) demonic cracker nations

it still sucks and I’d rather they not

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Popy posted:

I would simply become a girl, easy-breezy

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 27 days!)

CW: Baki anatomical analysis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHtSK40AuA4

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Lostconfused posted:

TTGL obviously argues that a new mode of production must be found or society will stagnate and collapse, therefore TTGL is Marxist.

ttgl is pro eco fascism we've been over this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

I like big o because it has big robots

they should have made another season gdi

shoutout to the series score, which is unusually good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_WRDZaydrQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kafn6jzS3PQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lW6vQT7HtU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XzM_TCIajs

Good soup! has issued a correction as of 15:53 on Oct 12, 2021

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

I feel bad for my room mate in college who tried to show me and my buddy Big O and we both just cackled at everyone saying “Mega Deuce.”

The best one: “It’s coming, the Mega Deuce!”

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

lol

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Popy posted:

drat, never considered this

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Darth Walrus posted:

Ping Pong The Animation is fantastic. Ashita no Joe is one of the most influential anime of all time for a reason, if you fancy something older. Haikyuu regularly gets rave reviews.

If you don't mind weird fantasy sports, Gundam Build Fighters and Girls und Panzer are genuinely excellent.

Ping Pong is the better show, but IMO Haikyuu has a bigger focus on the sport itself where IIRC in ping pong it’s more just the background for the coming-of-age story of its characters.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Chihayafuru is the better show because it focuses on what it means to be competitive and competition itself, and not the spectacle of competition.

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin

Lostconfused posted:

Chihayafuru is the better show because it focuses on what it means to be competitive and competition itself, and not the spectacle of competition.

Yeah but have you considered ping-pong looks a lot better?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

christmas boots posted:

Ping Pong is the better show, but IMO Haikyuu has a bigger focus on the sport itself where IIRC in ping pong it’s more just the background for the coming-of-age story of its characters.

What makes Haikyuu the best sports anime is that all the drama is played out on the court. All the character's drama and fears and achievements are expressed through volleyball.
Kageyama is afraid that his personality puts people off and he'll be left all alone, on the volleyball court. Tsukishima has built up a layer of cynicism to stop himself from getting too emotionally invested, in volleyball. Yamaguchi worries that he has nothing to contribute, to the volleyball team, Shoyo wants to play volleyball.
Since it's all intertwined it all works together and the emotionally significant scenes and the memorable volleyball moments are one and the same. Haikyuu is just as much about these characters coming of age and maturing, but that story is told entirely through volleyball.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
chihayafuru is a beautifully animated story about the dumbest game ever conceived.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lostconfused posted:

because it focuses on what it means to be competitive and competition itself,

Pretty much every good sports series does this really.

Chihayafuru is really good but I'd put Ping Pong, Haikyuu, and March Comes in Like a Lion over it as far as sport series.

Ping Pong I think is the single best anime of all time.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

What makes Haikyuu the best sports anime is that all the drama is played out on the court. All the character's drama and fears and achievements are expressed through volleyball.
Kageyama is afraid that his personality puts people off and he'll be left all alone, on the volleyball court. Tsukishima has built up a layer of cynicism to stop himself from getting too emotionally invested, in volleyball. Yamaguchi worries that he has nothing to contribute, to the volleyball team, Shoyo wants to play volleyball.
Since it's all intertwined it all works together and the emotionally significant scenes and the memorable volleyball moments are one and the same. Haikyuu is just as much about these characters coming of age and maturing, but that story is told entirely through volleyball.

you’re right. I just mean that I felt like I learned a lot about volleyball from Haikyuu that I didn’t learn about ping pong from ping pong

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

https://animethemes.moe/video/Touch-OP1.webm

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Just going to wait for someone to start posting about Iron Leaguer.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

touch is so good

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Lmao that in MHA the idealistic, libertarian militia with corporate elite support hiding inside the state's law enforcement apparatus ceded all its power to the league of villains the moment the leader felt threatened

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Ping Pong I think is the single best anime of all time.

Bold statement. It's up there at least.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Ringo Roadagain posted:

touch is so good

:hai:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

1) That guy is going to summon his persona
2) Sports
3) Hey, they have their own Wriggly Field!

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I have a curry plate from Kuroko's Basketball since we're talking about sports shows.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!

Relin posted:

ttgl is pro eco fascism we've been over this

i've only seen clips but what i saw seemed like it was an attempt to generate clean energy by causing malthus to rotate at speeds approaching c in his grave

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Gunbuster is a huge ripoff of Aim for the Ace, so that makes it basically a sports anime.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 208 days!
all i really know is that it wasn't weak half-assed poo poo like darling in the franxx

(TTGL i mean but im pretty sure gunbuster is also not weak poo poo either going by rep)

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

diebuster is better than gunbuster

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

WrightOfWay posted:

Gunbuster is a huge ripoff of Aim for the Ace, so that makes it basically a sports anime.

Yeah but I just finished that.

I decided to watch some episodes of Girls Und Panzer for the sports anime to watch next and I like how the main character is so far pretty much the same as the one from Gun Buster, so I’m in familiar territory… if I’m wrong and it just seems that way don’t spoil Girls und Panzer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Goku is a fascist