Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Dolphin posted:

it's not that his voice is annoying it's that "you're wrong and there's nothing i can do to convince you that you're wrong and this video isn't for you and we can go to the ends of the earth arguing and in the end there's a million different" yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda get to the loving point holy poo poo

[edit] i fast forwarded through it. pretty sure it's impossible to make a more annoying video.

GET TO THE POINT is the exact sentiment i feel. i'm still trying to get through the video a few minutes at a time during work and its not easy. he is constantly responding to imagined criticisms instead of just laying out his point concisely.

there is even a part where he talks about how someone told him to edit most of the poo poo out and I guess due to spite he goes on a tangent about how he's not like the average content creator so he's fine with making an inaccessible video that no one has time to watch. this video did not need to be length of a feature film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
I felt like the constant recursive circling back on matters was extremely cathartic, as someone whose been beating the drum for so long.

It was like a 1.5 hour "gently caress you, you're an idiot" to the handful still posting in the D&D thread and the millions out there like them, rather than an attempt to seriously educate anyone who isn't aware of how hosed we are. :shrug:

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Stevie Lee posted:

aftermarket exhaust kit on planet earth

Need a planetary air horn and planet sized truck nuts

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!

Dolphin posted:

A downed primary will light you on fire from the inside and you'll be dead before you realize you're in danger. A secondary will boil you. Do not gently caress with power lines.

also op is doing way more work than necessary

just take a male-to-male power cord (like the one you use for your generator) and plug both ends into the same electrical socket

boom unlimited energy without having to mess with power lines

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

MightyBigMinus posted:

its all just anxiety thrashing

all that matters is:
- end coal
- end oil
- end gas

all that matters is:
- lmao
- lmfao
- roflmao

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i will be riding my bike to the airport this weekend i am doing my part

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

tiberion02 posted:

all that matters is:
- lmao
- lmfao
- roflmao

close, its:
- lol
- lmao
- weed

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Norton posted:

GET TO THE POINT is the exact sentiment i feel. i'm still trying to get through the video a few minutes at a time during work and its not easy. he is constantly responding to imagined criticisms instead of just laying out his point concisely.

there is even a part where he talks about how someone told him to edit most of the poo poo out and I guess due to spite he goes on a tangent about how he's not like the average content creator so he's fine with making an inaccessible video that no one has time to watch. this video did not need to be length of a feature film

I think the video is intended for people who are at a different stage of their climate journey than where you are right now. While it certainly could be shorter, I'm at a point where lingering over some of these points is really nice. It is affirming because it is all things I know are true, but you know what? I've never heard any of it said out loud before.

I'm not sure that there's anything better to do, here at the end of the world.

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Unless posted:

cables snapped? cut the power down the line (like to your house) at the breaker, use a jumper cable to grip both sides of copper of the snapped cable. the spring teeth hold on to the cable well, and the gauge is thick enough to carry hundreds of amps

keep surrounding combustible materials to a minimum, don't touch any cables that are still carrying a current so you don't die, never use a metal ladder

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

:rubby:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

RE: Tree chat. We could build things with them instead of burning/burying them, but for economic reasons that's never happening.

Also agree that we couldn't grow enough fast enough to make much of a difference even if we put in the effort.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
what if we used lots of fertilizer so they grow faster?

hang on, i'm being told-

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

what if we used lots of fertilizer so they grow faster?

hang on, i'm being told-

Wait I think you're into something here, but I will only vote for this measure if we can immediately burn the additional yield.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

lmao the blue and snow crab populations just crashed without warning

interesting that it’s almost concurrent with chud and king salmon disappearing

can’t wait to see what other fisheries go poof

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Buffer posted:

LMAO, there's literally no where on earth under any scenario *more* hostile than space / mars. Most of the people at SX just didn't engage with this - they reduce it to like a 17th century ocean voyage or something.

We don't know the most basic loving thing needed to colonize space and that's if our species can make people in low gravity - zero-g obstetrics hasn't been much of a priority and drat if there aren't some confounding things there. Sure, it would suck if mammalian pregnancy doesn't work outside a centrifuge in low gravity, but I'm sure that's not a problem - we'll put all the women in the outer ring, solved! bingo boingo so simple.

Even ignoring that, the best vision of this is you dwelling in a tesla you can't leave munching nutrient paste while all of your material needs 100% rely on a billionaire's largesse and the orbital mechanics mean you can only really get there every ~2 years. While he eats steak in his dome or chortles from earth. What a dream.

Oh and Covid, since it keeps coming up, basically drove home that we weren't willing to make *brief* minor sacrifices for things that have long-term positive impacts - even on incredibly short timeframes - that miracles would not save us, etc. It made very clear who needs to sacrifice and who doesn't and the results were not good RE: long term human habitation of anywhere.

On the flipside, those realizations make me laugh like hell when someone calls Rime "Goon Thanos", so.

we haven’t successfully colonized earth how tf are they gonna do Mars? even the Arctic, Antarctica, or under the ocean would be Mars with training wheels and they really haven’t done that.

Torpor has issued a correction as of 23:50 on Oct 12, 2021

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

nomad2020 posted:

RE: Tree chat. We could build things with them instead of burning/burying them, but for economic reasons that's never happening.

Also agree that we couldn't grow enough fast enough to make much of a difference even if we put in the effort.

The BC government briefly put a lot of money in the 2010's into promoting R&D of timber glue-laminate structural beams, which have remarkable benefits over steel & concrete, as an attempt to pivot out of just selling raw logs to China.

They never really caught on and then the NDP was elected and went all-in on selling raw logs overseas to support the couple hundred loggers still employed in that industry. :shrug:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

DesertIslandHermit posted:

Ben Shapiro prayed for global warming on his show to stop COVID.

Now the earth is collapsing and COVID is still going!

Thanks, dumbass!

this is from a while back but a few questions

to who or what does shapiro pray?

he has a show?

thanks and lol, lmao

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Tekne posted:

What? How much longer can we eat blue crab at low price?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

silicone thrills posted:

I think their voice is fine but you know what videos are hella annoying?

That loving German guy with all the cutesy animations. Someone was passing his climate change vid around at work and wanted to throttle them.

The one that's all "vote at the ballot box, vote with your wallet" with no actual analysis about how the gently caress we got in this mess? It's ghastly, isn't it? All of his videos are some IFLScience-level crap and I hate him.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
if we killed everything in the ocean already we just need to dig through to the other side and make it so toxic it burns in our combustion engines

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

I'd like to cheer up the thread with my gardening anecdotes from the midwest. This year I planted several cover crop plots, which were a mix of dozens of plants to make a sort of super forage garden / three sisters method on crack for soil building. I saw so many DIFFERENT pollinators - bees, butterflies, and beetles this year compared to any other. And below that were many other critters and numerous grasshoppers, especially in the other areas where I had planted high grasses like winter rye. Normally I don't see so many. Really the diversity is striking.

The fall cold snap hasn't arrived yet, and still I see hundreds of honey bees buzzing around on the remaining flowers. And numerous monarch butterflies.

Have some pics:

little album https://imgur.com/a/aP6YqRi

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Femur posted:

What? How much longer can we eat blue crab at low price?

Probably best to buy and eat all remaining blue crab. It's not gonna last anyway, might as well get your fill.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

A bit more bittersweet now that we've learned planting trees isn't enough. Even if we had some magic wand to grow/mature them more quickly, it's almost like the planet wanted certain/specific trees in certain/specific places for a reason and merely replacing them, even sometimes with the same species, doesn't/won't fix what's broken.

That's because people just cut them down again. Planting trees would have to be a massive global and long term effort to show any results.

Edit: Arguing if it would work or not is entirely academic and it doesn't matter which side is right. It's never going to happen in the first place so it doesn't even matter if it would work or not.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 01:06 on Oct 13, 2021

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Sylink posted:

I'd like to cheer up the thread with my gardening anecdotes from the midwest. This year I planted several cover crop plots, which were a mix of dozens of plants to make a sort of super forage garden / three sisters method on crack for soil building. I saw so many DIFFERENT pollinators - bees, butterflies, and beetles this year compared to any other. And below that were many other critters and numerous grasshoppers, especially in the other areas where I had planted high grasses like winter rye. Normally I don't see so many. Really the diversity is striking.

The fall cold snap hasn't arrived yet, and still I see hundreds of honey bees buzzing around on the remaining flowers. And numerous monarch butterflies.

Have some pics:

little album https://imgur.com/a/aP6YqRi

This is all I want to do with my life anymore. I've no idea how to properly buy property though so I don't get screwed, and I want to purchase out of state no less. It all feels like it's impossible quite frankly.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Tekne posted:

i'm all for chud death, but i'd really like the other species to survive

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The Demilich posted:

This is all I want to do with my life anymore. I've no idea how to properly buy property though so I don't get screwed, and I want to purchase out of state no less. It all feels like it's impossible quite frankly.

Same, I'm a dumb millenial who rents his parents' house. Though maybe in the next few years if some plans work out :lol:

But we have a lot of grass/lawn, and I've slowly been changing it into productive gardens or wild fields with cover crops and the change in wildlife has been stark. Except for the deer who came in and ate the tops off my carrots lmao.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The one that's all "vote at the ballot box, vote with your wallet" with no actual analysis about how the gently caress we got in this mess? It's ghastly, isn't it? All of his videos are some IFLScience-level crap and I hate him.

yep this loving guy. i hate him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbR-5mHI6bo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
fyi even the hypothetical chimney where we can exhaust poo poo outside of earth's atmosphere, it will still just fall straight back down. Gravity doesn't stop existing just because there's no atmosphere. The stuff "floating" around in orbit is actually in continual, frictionless freefall. One with a very specific vector and speed. All this to say you can't just snorkel it out of here

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Strom Cuzewon posted:

they are but that makes it even funnier that his climate video is just a cheery version of “we’re hosed” p.s. here’s the million-to-one shot we’re not

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

fyi even the hypothetical chimney where we can exhaust poo poo outside of earth's atmosphere, it will still just fall straight back down. Gravity doesn't stop existing just because there's no atmosphere. The stuff "floating" around in orbit is actually in continual, frictionless freefall. All this to say you can't just snorkel it out of here

Duke Nukem: blow it out your rear end

Duke Nukem PhD: blow it out your rear end . . . AT ESCAPE VELOCITY

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

fyi even the hypothetical chimney where we can exhaust poo poo outside of earth's atmosphere, it will still just fall straight back down. Gravity doesn't stop existing just because there's no atmosphere. The stuff "floating" around in orbit is actually in continual, frictionless freefall. One with a very specific vector and speed. All this to say you can't just snorkel it out of here
nah, just has to be 23000 miles long

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it isn't that hard

just throw our trash into the sun. That should work for awhile.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Once you take the Plasticpill you never go back

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/health/plastic-chemical-early-death-wellness/index.html

quote:

(CNN)Synthetic chemicals called phthalates, found in hundreds of consumer products such as food storage containers, shampoo, makeup, perfume and children's toys, may contribute to some 91,000 to 107,000 premature deaths a year among people ages 55 to 64 in the United States, a new study found.

People with the highest levels of phthalates had a greater risk of death from any cause, especially cardiovascular mortality, according to the study published Tuesday in the peer-reviewed journal Environmental Pollution.

The study estimated those deaths could cost the US about $40 to $47 billion each year in lost economic productivity.

"This study adds to the growing database on the impact of plastics on the human body and bolsters public health and business cases for reducing or eliminating the use of plastics," said lead author Dr. Leonardo Trasande, a professor of pediatrics, environmental medicine and population health at NYU Langone Health in New York City.

Phthalates are known to interfere with the body's mechanism for hormone production, known as the endocrine system, and they are "linked with developmental, reproductive, brain, immune, and other problems," according to the National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences.

Even small hormonal disruptions can cause "significant developmental and biological effects," the NIEHS states.

Prior research has connected phthalates with reproductive problems, such as genital malformations and undescended testes in baby boys and lower sperm counts and testosterone levels in adult males. Previous studies have also linked phthalates to childhood obesity, asthma, cardiovascular issues and cancer.

"These chemicals have a rap sheet," said Trasande, who also directs NYU Langone's Center for the Investigation of Environmental Hazards. "And the fact of the matter is that when you look at the entire body of evidence, it provides a haunting pattern of concern."

The American Chemistry Council, which represents the US chemical, plastics and chlorine industries, shared this statement with CNN via email:

"Much of the content within Trasande et al's latest study is demonstrably inaccurate," wrote Eileen Conneely, ACC's senior director of chemical products and technology. She added the study lumped all phthalates into one group and failed to mention that the industry says high-molecular-weight phthalates like DINP and DIDP have lower toxicity than other phthalates.

"Studies such as these fail to consider all phthalates individually and consistently ignore or downplay the existence of science-based, authoritative conclusions regarding the safety of high molecular weight phthalates," Conneely wrote.

Often called "everywhere chemicals" because they are so common, phthalates are added to consumer products such as PVC plumbing, vinyl flooring, rain- and stain-resistant products, medical tubing, garden hoses, and some children's toys to make the plastic more flexible and harder to break.

Other common exposures come from the use of phthalates in food packaging, detergents, clothing, furniture and automotive plastics. Phthalates are also added to personal care items such as shampoo, soap, hair spray and cosmetics to make fragrances last longer.

People are exposed when they breathe contaminated air or eat or drink foods that came into contact with the plastic, according to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"Children crawl around and touch many things, then put their hands in their mouths. Because of that hand-to-mouth behavior, phthalate particles in dust might be a greater risk for children than for adults," the CDC states.

The new study measured the urine concentration of phthalates in more than 5,000 adults between the ages of 55 and 64 and compared those levels to the risk of early death over an average of 10 years, Trasande said.

Researchers controlled for preexisting heart disease, diabetes, cancer and other common conditions, poor eating habits, physical activity and body mass, and levels of other known hormone disruptors such as bisphenol A or BPA, he said.

"However, I'm never going to tell you this is a definitive study," Trasande told CNN. "It is a snapshot in time and can only show an association."

Learning exactly how phthalates may affect the body requires a gold-standard double-blinded randomized clinical trial, he said. Yet such a study will never be done, he added, "because we cannot ethically randomize people to be exposed to potentially toxic chemicals."

"But we already know phthalates mess with the male sex hormone, testosterone, which is a predictor of adult cardiovascular disease. And we already know that these exposures can contribute to multiple conditions associated with mortality, such as obesity and diabetes," Trasande said.

The chemical BPA has also been linked to abnormalities in male babies' reproductive systems and later infertility issues in adult men, as well as obesity, heart disease, cancer and premature death from any cause. The synthetic compound was formerly found in most baby bottles, sippy cups and infant formula containers until parents boycotted those products over a decade ago. The FDA banned the chemical's use in bottles and sippy cups in 2012.

It is possible to minimize your exposure to phthalates and other endocrine disruptors like BPA, which can still be found in the linings of canned goods and paper receipts, Trasande said.

"First, avoid plastics as much as you can. Never put plastic containers in the microwave or dishwasher, where the heat can break down the linings so they might be absorbed more readily,"he suggested. "In addition, cooking at home and reducing your use of processed foods can reduce the levels of the chemical exposures you come in contact with."

Here are other tips to reduce you and your family's exposure:
  • Use unscented lotions and laundry detergents.
  • Use cleaning supplies without scents.
  • Use glass, stainless steel, ceramic or wood to hold and store foods.
  • Buy fresh or frozen fruits and vegetables instead of canned and processed versions.
  • Encourage frequent hand washing to remove chemicals from hands.
  • Avoid air fresheners and all plastics labeled as No. 3, No. 6 and No. 7

We are collectively poisoning ourselves to insane degrees because of mass addiction to fossil fuels.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Rectal Death Adept posted:

it isn't that hard

just throw our trash into the sun. That should work for awhile.

It'd probably be easier to throw our trash at Venus, all things considered.

And I didn't say a gigantic chimney, I said a gigantic HEPA filter with some magic way of developing filters that would then need to be ~spirited away~...~somehow~! It's complete nonsense and would take a level of technology we're very likely never going to reach past proving it's technically possible.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
plastics are the one area of all of this where i have cracked but not yet pinged

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

liberals would rather oversee the end of human civilization in any form than end capitalism

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

KaptainKrunk posted:

liberals would rather oversee the end of human civilization in any form than end capitalism

in their mind ending capitalism is synonymous with ending civilization

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Shear Modulus posted:

in their mind ending capitalism is synonymous with ending civilization

Turns out they believed in it fervently long enough for it to become true :haw:

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

The Protagonist posted:

Turns out they believed in it fervently long enough for it to become true :haw:

Correlation is not causation! - Me, shouting, while floating away in a historic flood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SKULL.GIF posted:

Once you take the Plasticpill you never go back

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/health/plastic-chemical-early-death-wellness/index.html

We are collectively poisoning ourselves to insane degrees because of mass addiction to fossil fuels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cROY4m4Ftiw