Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Speaking of the Chopin Pro I am looking at an APU build with a 5600g but can't find a good case in stock anywhere. I'd prefer the power supply to be internal but at this point I'm open to a brick. Any suggestions? No real budget just want something mini-ITX with room for a 2.5" drive or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

McGurk posted:

Speaking of the Chopin Pro I am looking at an APU build with a 5600g but can't find a good case in stock anywhere. I'd prefer the power supply to be internal but at this point I'm open to a brick. Any suggestions? No real budget just want something mini-ITX with room for a 2.5" drive or two.

If you don’t need the extra 50W, the older Chopin is still easily available for sale.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Cicero posted:

Are there any recommendations here on basic Zen 2/3 NUC's?

I just bought a couple DDR arcade cabinet pads, so I need a machine that can run Stepmania (an open source DDR clone) and maybe Drummania; both rhythm games that are graphically very undemanding, at least going by looks.

For the moment I can use a laptop, but I'd like something more permanent in the long run, and a NUC seems like it'd go well with one of the rolling stands I'm planning on getting for the TV for the setup (they usually have a small little platform halfway up for a laptop or similar).

Stepmania will run anything. If that's literally all it's for, pick up a used usff dell optiplex, micro usff even.

That said, Windows 11 fucks everything up with regards to official support for older machines, if you give a poo poo

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you don’t need the extra 50W, the older Chopin is still easily available for sale.

I've seen some people talk about the 5600g and 5700g maxing out a 150w PSU, just figured 200w is the way to go. Also I really hate the idea of buying the old model for full price when there is a new one supposedly available.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

quote:

Due to various factors, we've decided not to order another M1 production run. This means the M1 is effectively end of life, and we will not have any more M1 cases or parts available to order. It's had a good eight year run, but evolving component requirements and shifts in the market have made it a less compelling option in recent times. We apologize to anyone who wasn't able to order an M1 before stock ran out. The decision not to reorder was only made recently, and was a difficult choice to come to.

We want to stress that this is not the end of NCASE, only a pause in operations. We do have new products in development, but they are still a ways out, with no current production estimate. The NCASE website and M1 product page will remain up for the time being for informational purposes.

Thanks to all of our supporters and customers over the years.

Team NCASE

https://ncases.com/blogs/news/end-of-m1-production

RIP to the GOAT

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
That's too bad. It really is a great case, although GPU compatibility was becoming increasingly problematic as GPUs have been getting larger and larger lately. I ended up having to switch to an NR200 for that reason, and honestly at a third of the price of the M1 it's hard to beat. I was planning on selling my M1 but if it's going to be impossible to replace in the future I might keep it around instead.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Difficult case to recommend at this point considering the price premium over the NR200 for not really much size difference. I wonder if the aftermarket prices are gonna skyrocket now. Hopefully the NCASE guys get to keep designing and selling cases because their enthusiasm was genuine.

Thankful for their work resulting in a more mainstream push into SFF cases.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The M1 seems like a great case, but they kind of needed to release something else sooner. I'm kind of shocked that the original version came out eight years ago and whatever they have planned next isn't coming out anytime soon. I know that it's a challenging market for a small company like them, but they really had to come up with something new sooner than this.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

Difficult case to recommend at this point considering the price premium over the NR200 for not really much size difference. I wonder if the aftermarket prices are gonna skyrocket now. Hopefully the NCASE guys get to keep designing and selling cases because their enthusiasm was genuine.

Thankful for their work resulting in a more mainstream push into SFF cases.

Isn't it like 2/3rds of the volume? That's not an insubstantial difference for people who really want small without a riser. Too bad, was a neat case.

reL
May 20, 2007
drat, RIP. Glad I finally got one when the V6s came out.

I guess I should probably grab the iceman res just in case I ever wanna go water cooling, in case the producer of that stops as well.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

What's the issue they're worried about? Is it just manufacturing, tarriffs or the ever increasing size of video cards?

Will the Asus X Noctua 3080 fit in it?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

VulgarandStupid posted:

What's the issue they're worried about? Is it just manufacturing, tarriffs or the ever increasing size of video cards?

Will the Asus X Noctua 3080 fit in it?

Wouldn't be surprised if it's "Our margins sucked, we're now being squeezed on all sides between tarriffs and supply chain bullshit, and oh yeah, on top of that, the Big Boys have finally caught on and are making legitimately competitive to ours products at 35% of our price point."

That last part is especially rough to manage in light of all of the other stuff.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I think they'd have been okay still with the just point, there's still a market for premium cases and plenty of people would rather go aluminium over steel, but combined with the material costs and all the other fuckery it's likely too much risk.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'd suspect the answer is "all of the above."

Didn't expect the case I bought last year to become a discontinued classic.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Yeah chalk me up as someone who was interested in the NCase M1 but bought an nr200 because of price/availability/ease of building. I was definitely considering getting one in the future though and downsizing my build, as the M1 seemed to be the smallest and best possible non-sandwich layout case going. Given my FE 3080, thermals would suck in the smaller sandwich style cases and I don't want to get into custom watercooling so that's that.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Pizzabox style ITX cases growing in size to support full size motherboards is hilarious

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfTl3yR7MTQ

(obviously you need to use an ITX motherboard to be able to fit a radiator in there, so it's really an ITX case)

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Oct 19, 2021

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I’m glad there’s more vertical cases out there. The smaller footprint really helps if you don’t have a huge desk.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's not SFF, but I feel noiseless passive cooling designs are the other half of the SFF madness coin. Because lets face it, when we're building custom high performance SFF PCs, what we're really trying to do is cheat engineering and minimize compromises while maintaining (or improving) performance. Also Ali is basically the patron saint of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJlXnRt9cA

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Warmachine posted:

It's not SFF, but I feel noiseless passive cooling designs are the other half of the SFF madness coin. Because lets face it, when we're building custom high performance SFF PCs, what we're really trying to do is cheat engineering and minimize compromises while maintaining (or improving) performance. Also Ali is basically the patron saint of this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgJlXnRt9cA

I believe their other case, the first actually is sff although it can't handle near the same thermal load.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Right I think I'm doing something questionably wrong here

Current build is the nr200p with perf side panel with the following components

Ryzen 3900X
Scythe Fuma 2 in exhaust config stock fans
EVGA 1080Ti

2x NFA12s in exhaust at the top of the box.

The problem I'm having is thermals on the CPU, it's idling around 45C and that's with an undervolt applied to bring it down. If no undervolt is applied it regularly idles above 50C and fails to finish cinebench tests, it goes to 90+.

I have a couple of options here I think for reducing temps:

I have a couple of spare NFA12s lying around that I could use to potentially improve the scythe performance.

Try putting the config into intake mode, either with or without the NFA12s.

Replace the Fuma with a U12A

Any suggestions or extra info needed?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
What is your CPU fan curve like in BIOS? The Fuma 2 is designed to be very usable and quiet with the fans running at 100%, which is fairly low RPM (~1200 iirc).

Otherwise, given your setup I'd say there's something wrong with the mounting or thermal paste because from quick googling other people with the 3900x and Fuma 2 aren't reporting load temps higher than 70C, and in my own nr200p (with glass side panel and 5600x so not a like for like comparison), I barely see the CPU over 65.

The U12A is a strictly worse cooler than the Fuma 2 so that would be a downgrade.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

What is your CPU fan curve like in BIOS? The Fuma 2 is designed to be very usable and quiet with the fans running at 100%, which is fairly low RPM (~1200 iirc).

Otherwise, given your setup I'd say there's something wrong with the mounting or thermal paste because from quick googling other people with the 3900x and Fuma 2 aren't reporting load temps higher than 70C, and in my own nr200p (with glass side panel and 5600x so not a like for like comparison), I barely see the CPU over 65.

The U12A is a strictly worse cooler than the Fuma 2 so that would be a downgrade.

Fan curve is set to auto but maybe I should tweak that

I was gonna redo the thermal paste soon anyway so maybe I'll double check that too

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Where are you getting that from. From every comparison I've seen (besides price) the U12A out performs it. Machine and More and GN's reviews also swayed on the side of the U12A

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Speaking of the NR200 I recently did some work in mine. Replaced the Arctic P12 fans I had with Phanteks T30's on the bottom and the pretty new black A12x25's from Noctua up top (couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to mount the thicker T30's up there).

I also replaced the NH-U12A I had on my 5900X with an EK-AIO 280, using Arctic P14's rather than the included fans.

While I was at it I replaced the X570-I's stock chipset thermal pad with Fujipoly Ultra Extreme (1.5mm) and used the extra to replace the pad on the NVMe heatsink.

My 5900X now no longer ramps the fans for no reason, and idle temps have dropped from 50C to about 32C. My entire system is way quieter now too and I didn't see my 5900X go over 65C while running cinebench. I'm pretty sure the temps on my 3080 FE have dropped a couple of degrees too with the T30's under them.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Where are you getting that from. From every comparison I've seen (besides price) the U12A out performs it. Machine and More and GN's reviews also swayed on the side of the U12A

Eh??

Gamers Nexus didn't even compare it to the U12A in their video, they compared it to the much bigger NH-D15 which it was competitive with. Otherwise there's plenty of reviews that have it favourably comparing to the U12A, especially considering how quiet it runs, and that's without even factoring cost in.

Basically your thermal issues aren't going to be resolved by at best a sideways move.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

Eh??

Gamers Nexus didn't even compare it to the U12A in their video, they compared it to the much bigger NH-D15 which it was competitive with. Otherwise there's plenty of reviews that have it favourably comparing to the U12A, especially considering how quiet it runs, and that's without even factoring cost in.

Basically your thermal issues aren't going to be resolved by at best a sideways move.

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. I'll give the thermal paste another doing and check the fan curve. I might still replace the stock scythe fans with the spare NFA12s or at least replace the slim scythe one.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

CyberPingu posted:

Fair enough. Thanks for the help. I'll give the thermal paste another doing and check the fan curve. I might still replace the stock scythe fans with the spare NFA12s or at least replace the slim scythe one.

One of the reviews I linked tried that and it didn't make much of a difference. Assuming you've installed them correctly, the included fans are set up with the fans turning in opposite directions which is supposed to help with the airflow despite the low RPM or some poo poo.

Given your idle and load temps there's something fundamentally wrong somewhere that isn't the fault of the cooler, basically.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

One of the reviews I linked tried that and it didn't make much of a difference. Assuming you've installed them correctly, the included fans are set up with the fans turning in opposite directions which is supposed to help with the airflow despite the low RPM or some poo poo.

Given your idle and load temps there's something fundamentally wrong somewhere that isn't the fault of the cooler, basically.

Fair enough. The slim fan sits slightly wobbly but not enough that it should be impeding cooling

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Well...

That would probably be the issue

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Oof, yeah. It's hard to tell from this picture if the thermal compound didn't spread due to a lack of mounting pressure or if there was not enough paste. Either way, remember that it's very easy to have too little thermal paste, but unless you're using conductive paste, it's basically impossible to have too much. Apply a healthy dab.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

I ran out of paste mid way through reapplication but managed to spread it evenly using a credit card. Will order some more today and see how it gets on.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Ok so putting the cooler in intake mode and redoing the thermals im now seeing idles of 34C,

But removing the undervolt and the idles still shoot up to 55C

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Some charts

Without undervolt

With undervolt

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That was my regular experience when I had a 2700x without an undervolt. Idle at 30ish with spikes to mid 40’s-low 50s.

Idle is not particularly important as long as it’s in safe range (which it very much is). What are your load temperatures?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

This was cinebench running 100% multicore

Without undervolt

Interestingly cinebench never managed to get the CPU past 4ghz

With undervolt

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The low 70s is very reasonable for a 3900X running an all-core load. The 3900X generally stops at 4GHz during heavy all-core loads, and it only ever reaches higher clocks when utilizing fewer cores. That's just how the boost algorithm and power delivery systems work. This means your non-undervolted configuration is running within spec at good temps. Mark this one as problem solved.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Oct 25, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Cheers. I'll need to tweak the fan curve a bit as it got a bit loud but that's easy to do

I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to not-undervolt it tbh.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CyberPingu posted:

Cheers. I'll need to tweak the fan curve a bit as it got a bit loud but that's easy to do

I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to not-undervolt it tbh.

Run some benchmarks, especially single thread. The performance penalty from clock stretching usually outweighs the benefit from undervolting. PBO2 lets you mess with the boost algorithm but that's 5000 series only.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Arzachel posted:

Run some benchmarks, especially single thread. The performance penalty from clock stretching usually outweighs the benefit from undervolting. PBO2 lets you mess with the boost algorithm but that's 5000 series only.

So far single core tests arent pushing it above 60C and thats even with a very silent fan profile set (CPU fan currently at 748 rpm)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

On a slightly different subject,

did anyone here with the fuma 2 notice the slim fan not mounting properly? Mine seems to be really slack, like the bracket is too big for it