Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Bloop posted:

I assume they wouldn't reuse a registry/name for a ship that was LOST lost rather than verifiably destroyed lost

:lost:

Yeah, that'd be pretty embarrassing, getting called up by Admiral Paris like six months out of spacedock and he's like "Ummm, we need you to report to Starbase 12 for a quick refit and recommission. Turns out we were a little too quick on that whole NCC-74656-A thing. Good news though, you're going to be the new USS Sao Palo!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Unlike Babylon 4

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Ships named Voyager keep stumbling rear end-backwards into random time travel poo poo to the point where somehow we've got five of them stuck here at once and rather than even try to untangle their messes we're just gonna keep them all in service and pretend nothing happened

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Delsaber posted:

Ships named Voyager keep stumbling rear end-backwards into random time travel poo poo to the point where somehow we've got five of them stuck here at once and rather than even try to untangle their messes we're just gonna keep them all in service and pretend nothing happened
In the far future, Captain Braxton suddenly gets a massive headache and has no idea why.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Payndz posted:

Admiral! You won't believe this, but we just got a message from Voyager!

...no, the other one.

"The giant alien death cloud?"

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

I mean

VGER

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1448034907897274373?s=20

e:

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Oct 12, 2021

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

so awesome

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Looks like Sovereign-class nacelles on an Excelsior and I’m here for that

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

There's also the joke explanation of "it's on the back of the saucer so that it can be read while they're running away :v:".

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

"The giant alien death cloud?"
...no, the other other one.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ship looks good

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Thanks Obena.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The jokey cartoon is putting out better design work than any of the current live-action shows and all it took was kitbashing a Sovereign with an Excelsior

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The preview pictures give us the captain too. Sonya Gomez.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MikeJF posted:

That's the chick that spilled coffee on Picard right?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

It's important to remember that the "post-scarcity" of the Federation does have limits. In particular, replicators may be extremely useful but they aren't magic. There were occasional mentions of industrial replicators, but for the most part they were used only on a small, personal scale -- food, clothing, handheld objects. They don't replicate starships. They don't have, say, huge replicators constantly spitting out millions of gallons of water to make an artificial river. When post-occupation Bajor was going hungry, they didn't just give everyone a replicator and call it done, they used heavy equipment to fix their farmland and get their agricultural sector going. And all those freighters coming and going at DS9 were hauling things in bulk -- whatever they were carrying, it was presumably infeasible for it to just be replicated at the destination instead.

I'm not the kind of nerd who has done a deep dive into star trek tech lore but from my understanding the replicators still need two inputs: molecules and energy, and the closer the input molecules are to the final desired product, the less energy they need to generate it. So if you can feed them organic carbon chains and compost, making food is kinda trivial, but to generate complicated alloys or starship parts from dirt and rocks takes more energy than conventional production even though it is technically possible.

In voyager replicator use is rationed and in lower decks they recent gave the LD crew access to more complicated replicator programs previously restricted to bridge crew.

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Oct 12, 2021

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
To add to that, replicators on ships are used a lot because

A. You are on a ship in space and can't get things other ways

B. There's a warp core down the hallway providing poo poo tons of energy

They're probably less frequently used planetside because there's less need and also fewer massive energy sources per capita

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

MikeJF posted:

what where

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

here

The Bloop posted:

They're probably less frequently used planetside because there's less need and also fewer massive energy sources per capita

On the contrary! A starship uses a limited energy source with a finite fuel tank. A planet is sitting right next to a giant fusion reactor a hundred thousand times its mass!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
lol i never noticed it or any other ship even had green lights. i thought they were a strictly red/blue light kind of galactic alliance.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Don’t starships use fusion generators for energy generators and the warp drive doesn’t actually provide power outside of the engine?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

lol i never noticed it or any other ship even had green lights. i thought they were a strictly red/blue light kind of galactic alliance.

Star Trek's been very consistent from the start that all of the Starfleet ships have real life nav lights, from the original TOS Enterprise all the way through to the Enterprise-E and the JJTrek reboots. One thing Lower Decks gets wrong that they just have random scatterd lights instead of red on port and green on starboard. Disco screws it up too.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 13, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nitrousoxide posted:

Don’t starships use fusion generators for energy generators and the warp drive doesn’t actually provide power outside of the engine?

Depends on the writer, but yes, usually. We've seen several times now that an ejected warp core ≠ the ship losing power. It's probably a matter of "well, the warp core puts out a massive amount of energy just doing nothing, so why NOT hook up a few systems to it?"

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would imagine it varies depending on what the ship is doing. If it's at sublight the fusion drives are busy powering the impulse engines so everything runs off the warp core, and vice versa. Some throttling to mix the two depending on what's drawing the most power.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek's been very consistent from the start that all of the Starfleet ships have real life nav lights, from the original TOS Enterprise all the way through to the Enterprise-E and the JJTrek reboots. One thing Lower Decks gets wrong that they just have random scatterd lights instead of red on port and green on starboard. Disco screws it up too.

That's the kind of thing I would never notice, wouldn't expect Disco to, but I am surprised LD missed!

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

ashpanash posted:

:nws::nms:

For posterity.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.
God drat it! I scrubbed it from my mind! And then I didn't heed the warning, again.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Plotac 75 posted:

God drat it! I scrubbed it from my mind! And then I didn't heed the warning, again.

Surrender yourself to the Boim.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

oawwwwww now it looks all Sovereign-class

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I have to say I think this is exactly the kind of ship you wouldn't build in Starfleet. It's an 80-year old hull form that's presumably not set up to efficiently use modern engines. It's an Earthican design and it's big so there's no argument for smaller alien yards being able to build it. There's a ton of reasons that modern warships don't look like 1920s designs, and you'd expect similar space reasons to apply in space. If you were looking to build an Excelsior replacement in the 2380s it would probably not look like an Excelsior.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That is one of the best looking kitbashes I've ever seen.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

The Bloop posted:

That's the chick that spilled coffee on Picard right?

The one from Mars with the three boobs yes

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say I think this is exactly the kind of ship you wouldn't build in Starfleet. It's an 80-year old hull form that's presumably not set up to efficiently use modern engines. It's an Earthican design and it's big so there's no argument for smaller alien yards being able to build it. There's a ton of reasons that modern warships don't look like 1920s designs, and you'd expect similar space reasons to apply in space. If you were looking to build an Excelsior replacement in the 2380s it would probably not look like an Excelsior.

The B-52 would like to speak to you.

Wikipedia posted:

The B-52 completed 60 years of continuous service with its original operator in 2015. After being upgraded between 2013 and 2015, the last airplanes are expected to serve into the 2050s.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

In-universe the Miranda class has been the work horse of the fleet for like a hundred years.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1425275424670576642

tl;dr 535 is much too large and makes all the other ships in the show gigantic.

Notice the enormous luxury suite windows on the Cerritos at this scale.

SCALE AND SCALE - WHAT IS SCALE

Matching window heights yields a more reasonable size for the Cerritos and the Parliament class.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 13, 2021

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Arglebargle III posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeMcMahanTM/status/1425275424670576642

tl;dr 535 is much too large and makes all the other ships in the show gigantic.

Notice the enormous luxury suite windows on the Cerritos at this scale.

SCALE AND SCALE - WHAT IS SCALE

Matching window heights yields a more reasonable size for the Cerritos and the Parliament class.

Nerd.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Lister posted:

They did so by removing about 90% of it.

This was the season 3 makeup for full Cardassians (this one doesn't have it's wig applied yet, they still have hair as normal)

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Seemlar posted:

This was the season 3 makeup for full Cardassians (this one doesn't have it's wig applied yet, they still have hair as normal)

I'm guessing that's before the final makeup and color is applied to the prosthetic? If so.. I guess that's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

A.o.D. posted:

I'm guessing that's before the final makeup and color is applied to the prosthetic? If so.. I guess that's okay.

Yeah, it's just a a normal Cardassian filtered through 20 years of advancement in the field of special effects prosthesis. Compared to some of Discovery's other liberties taken with Legacy Trek aliens its fine.