Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Martytoof posted:

Now I wish I had read this thread before the edits :twisted:

Judging from context it sounds like we definitely didn’t want to know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Buff Hardback posted:

oh I dunno seems prossibly in the public interest

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

The Iron Rose posted:

oh I dunno seems prossibly in the public interest

"I think I found/saw a thing at work and I want to know how to exfiltrate data from a Citrix/thin client without setting off DLP alarms and getting my rear end turbo-fired."

No more details are needed.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh good i was hoping this thread would end up in discovery. wonderful

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I am simultaneously curious af about the details of those posts and relieved the goon was smart enough to listen to the advice and blank them

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Buff Hardback posted:

What? No! I absolutely want to know! Should I know? No! No? I’ve said <no/know/nough/noh> too much and now I’m unsure

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DrDork posted:

"I think I found/saw a thing at work and I want to know how to exfiltrate data from a Citrix/thin client without setting off DLP alarms and getting my rear end turbo-fired."

No more details are needed.

And the proper advice here is:

1) Don't do it.
2) Don't post details anywhere, especially not on a public forum.
3) Talk to a lawyer.
4) If there is a trusted whistleblower contact option, maybe use that.
5) Lay low and don't draw attention to yourself.
6) Start looking for another job.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

And the proper advice here is:

1) Don't do it.
2) Don't post details anywhere, especially not on a public forum.
3) Talk to a lawyer.
4) If there is a trusted whistleblower contact option, maybe use that.
5) Lay low and don't draw attention to yourself.
6) Start looking for another job.

7) Fake your death and move to Belize.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

If you mess up, you won't need to fake it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just write “I need this on a t-shirt” in the metadata of the file you want to exfiltrate and wait for it to show up on teespring.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kazinsal posted:

8) gently caress a whale?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
This is a pretty good article in general, regardless of its relevance to what goons up to:

https://twitter.com/juliacarriew/status/1447694945729622024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Reading that link on a work laptop, just to make any possible future forensics investigation of my browsing history interesting.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Martytoof posted:

Just write “I need this on a t-shirt” in the metadata of the file you want to exfiltrate and wait for it to show up on teespring.

:emptyquote:

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
Yeah you might want more than a year worth of salary saved up. Most whistleblowers get hosed over in the industry depending what is revealed. I heard about a few beoing peeps still having trouble cause of that.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Axe-man posted:

Yeah you might want more than a year worth of salary saved up. Most whistleblowers get hosed over in the industry depending what is revealed. I heard about a few beoing peeps still having trouble cause of that.

The aviation industry is notoriously insular: there simply aren't that many companies involved in aircraft manufacturing, so if you get blackballed by one or two you're pretty hosed--especially if you're not cool with moving to another country.

But yeah, it's not unreasonable to expect that unless you are in a very wide industry, you might be better off taking your skills to an entirely different industry where HR might not have your picture up on a wall of Do Not Hires. Not hard to do if your skills are generic programming, or office worker, or whatever. Real hard if your skills are like aviation engine design or whatever.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siFmJz7CZSM

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Kazinsal posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeYoUN-Mi1o&t=127s

I hear Belize is great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Missouri developed a very insecure webapp that exposed people's Social Security numbers. Their governor is vowing to hold those responsible who did it.

https://twitter.com/thezedwards/status/1448670389148676106?s=20

The hack? Right clicking and viewing the source.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

The hack? Right clicking and viewing the source.

These days, I honestly can't tell if this is a joke or you're being serious.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Martytoof posted:

Criminally serious
https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448697768311132160

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

We had a guy getting sued for posting a proof of concept to a municipality doing something similar. Basically, they had a website where you could put in your SSN and get some sort of info back. This guy noticed that there was zero validation, spent 5 minutes writing a script to just spam numbers at the site and got a lot of information out. He immediately sent it to the municipality, who proceeded to successfully sue him for hacking their site. It was a few years ago though, at the details are super hazy.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

There was the guy that incremented an id in a url parameter and got a bunch of att customer info

And also Aaron Schwartz

And I’m sure there are hundred of other examples

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Martytoof posted:

Dead serious. This moron of a Governor blames everyone else for his failure of data security.

BonHair posted:

We had a guy getting sued for posting a proof of concept to a municipality doing something similar. Basically, they had a website where you could put in your SSN and get some sort of info back. This guy noticed that there was zero validation, spent 5 minutes writing a script to just spam numbers at the site and got a lot of information out. He immediately sent it to the municipality, who proceeded to successfully sue him for hacking their site. It was a few years ago though, at the details are super hazy.

Yeah this is why you lawyer up prior to doing a responsible disclosure.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 14, 2021

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

*raises hand*

Why...why do the highway cops have a digital forensics unit?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

So they can look through your pictures after they confiscate your phone, duh

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
"Decoded the HTML source code"

:lol:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bonzo posted:

"Decoded the HTML source code"

:lol:

They really think they are going to go after a reporter for doing so too, this is laughably pathetic.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Defenestrategy posted:

*raises hand*

Why...why do the highway cops have a digital forensics unit?
It's not uncommon for the Highway Patrol to be the sole state police force. Ohio does the same thing.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

They really think they are going to go after a reporter for doing so too, this is laughably pathetic.

I agree it's pathetic, but you are relying on a bunch of ancient lawyers and judges to understand how a web browser works and how unbelievably irresponsible the state was with the PII. I can't even think of a non-computer analogue that would convey how stupid this is. "Stealing" paper records that the state was storing in piles on the sidewalk? Except that doesn't capture that the website was sending the information out unsolicited to anyone who visited it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
It's like they made an open records request, and the government failed to redact the PII. The PII was on the back of the page. The reporter pointed out that there was PII on the back of the page, and the governor said they weren't authorized to turn over the page.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

They mailed out a packet and expect you to only look at your page.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
Infosec Thread: Step 1 - Lawyer up

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BrianRx posted:

I agree it's pathetic, but you are relying on a bunch of ancient lawyers and judges to understand how a web browser works and how unbelievably irresponsible the state was with the PII. I can't even think of a non-computer analogue that would convey how stupid this is. "Stealing" paper records that the state was storing in piles on the sidewalk? Except that doesn't capture that the website was sending the information out unsolicited to anyone who visited it.

A billboard displaying social security numbers has a small, unreadable sign taped to it saying "please don't read this billboard under penalty of law".

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BrianRx posted:

Isn't the non-computer analogue that someone came across a directory, opened it, and saw a whole bunch of social security numbers in between a bunch of lines and coloured in various shades?

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
I feel the same way about this guy getting prosecuted as I felt about hypothetically getting hit by a bus in the couple years after I graduated college with like $140k student loan debt and couldn't find better paying work than bouncing. I wished it would happen to me. Not that I wanted to die, just that I knew there'd be no way of walking away from this without a huge payout.

ComWalk
Mar 4, 2007

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Isn't the non-computer analogue that someone came across a directory, opened it, and saw a whole bunch of social security numbers in between a bunch of lines and coloured in various shades?

It's like submitting a records request, getting documents back that were redacted by placing electrical tape over what they wanted to hide, and then accusing you of breaking into the records office when you remove the tape later in your home.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ComWalk posted:

It's like submitting a records request, getting documents back that were redacted by placing electrical tape over what they wanted to hide, and then accusing you of breaking into the records office when you remove the tape later in your home.

Except it's scotch tape.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

ComWalk posted:

Except, yeah, as the poster above said, you cannot say that they were meaningfully hidden in any way. HTML code is not private, it is distributed to every user of your website in plaintext.

I think the "printed on the back of the paper, which you are not supposed to turn over" analogy is most apt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
The moron doubled down. He really did it

https://twitter.com/GovParsonMO/status/1448750830857904129?t=7XrYo2xPjClL5HyLLr4I7A&s=19