Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Agree, that's not bad. It's still clearly a Cardassian without a bunch of random poo poo. I like the Disco Tellarite redesign. The Andorian one is sort of weird and unnecessary, but not terrible. And giving Klingons hair again did a lot to improve them in S2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The worst thing about the Andorian redesign was the voice modulation they added, which I think only a couple characters had for a couple lines each and it disappeared after the first season.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Notice the enormous luxury suite windows on the Cerritos at this scale.

That MSD is inanaccurate and doesn't represent the actual shape of the saucer accurately, the writers have said to ignore it (see: things like two decks on the saucer edge instead of three). There's a new one that's been done up by Mike Okuda that's been seen in the background but we haven't seen in detail.

One notable thing that the guy who said 535 noted: he said "Hmm that saucer size looks oddly familar" in a follow-up conversation about models when it was next to an Ambassador, and sure enough at 535 the saucer is exactly the same size.

Might be because the Cali is intended to have originated from the same family as the Ambassador and since been refitted to Galaxy-era tech.

They said the Vancouver isn't THAT much longer than the Cerritos, it was just deliberately done with perspective making it look bigger because that was the whole point of the episode with it overshadowing the Cerritos.

I actually did a rough test with a 3D model of the Galaxy and California where I deleted the nacelles and pylons and the Cali came out to something like half the volume of the Galaxy. Still a bit big for 350 crew but that makes sense for a construction/engineering ship, in real life the biggest ships in the world are engineering ships. The largest ship that exists right now is a construction ship like five times the gross tonnage of an aircraft carrier with a tenth the crew.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Oct 13, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

MikeJF posted:

That MSD is inanaccurate and doesn't represent the actual shape of the saucer accurately, the writers have said to ignore it (see: things like two decks on the saucer edge instead of three). There's a new one that's been done up by Mike Okuda that's been seen in the background but we haven't seen in detail.

One notable thing that the guy who said 535 noted: he said "Hmm that saucer size looks oddly familar" in a follow-up conversation about models when it was next to an Ambassador, and sure enough at 535 the saucer is exactly the same size.

Might be because the Cali is intended to have originated from the same family as the Ambassador and since been refitted to Galaxy-era tech.

They said the Vancouver isn't THAT much longer than the Cerritos, it was just deliberately done with perspective making it look bigger because that was the whole point of the episode with it overshadowing the Cerritos.

I actually did a rough test with a 3D model of the Galaxy and California where I deleted the nacelles and pylons and the Cali came out to something like half the volume of the Galaxy. Still a bit big for 350 crew but that makes sense for a construction/engineering ship, in real life the biggest ships in the world are engineering ships. The largest ship that exists right now is a construction ship like five times the gross tonnage of an aircraft carrier with a tenth the crew.

I thought the biggest ship in the world was a salvage vessel capable of lifting things like cruise liners completely out of the water for transport back to a dock. What's the ship you have in mind?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
As long as the actor is recognizable through the Cardassian makeup, it works. That was one of the big problems with the new Klingons; I couldn't really tell the difference between them because of how much of their faces it covered.

It's a design that's definitely recognizably Cardassian, rather than the new Klingons which looked more like a take on the Klingons.

I Am Fowl fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Oct 13, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A.o.D. posted:

I thought the biggest ship in the world was a salvage vessel capable of lifting things like cruise liners completely out of the water for transport back to a dock. What's the ship you have in mind?

Pioneering Spirit, pipeline and oil and gas platform installer. Largest ship by gross tonnage. Here she is carrying out a platform to install: the ship is longer than an aircraft carrier by 50 meters and about 3 times as wide.

by herself not carrying anything:

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say I think this is exactly the kind of ship you wouldn't build in Starfleet. It's an 80-year old hull form that's presumably not set up to efficiently use modern engines. It's an Earthican design and it's big so there's no argument for smaller alien yards being able to build it. There's a ton of reasons that modern warships don't look like 1920s designs, and you'd expect similar space reasons to apply in space. If you were looking to build an Excelsior replacement in the 2380s it would probably not look like an Excelsior.

I imagine the idea is basically "the Excelsior is the most succesful design in starfleet history, it's turned out to be an extremely adaptable design that has lasted and stayed useful up to today and we still have them in service because the generals of the design are so good that they're worth keeping them going, so let's build a modern version of that shape, retaining all of the design elements that made is to long-lasting and adaptable and modular while using up-to-date materials and spaceframe and warp nacelles"

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 13, 2021

AJA
Mar 28, 2015
In MY Star Trek!!?!?!?!1 (*clutches pearls*)

Arglebargle III posted:

Notice the enormous luxury suite windows on the Cerritos at this scale.
[ announcer voice ] "In a world of post-scarcity ... a hero will rise ... one ship will change the future ... of luxury suite windows ..." [ /announcer voice ]

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I'd be happy to have a five year moratorium on sword fighting in Star Trek outside of topless fencing or anbo jitsiu

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

MikeJF posted:

I imagine the idea is basically "the Excelsior is the most succesful design in starfleet history, it's turned out to be an extremely adaptable design that has lasted and stayed useful up to today and we still have them in service because the generals of the design are so good that they're worth keeping them going, so let's build a modern version of that shape, retaining all of the design elements that made is to long-lasting and adaptable and modular while using up-to-date materials and spaceframe and warp nacelles"

I kind of imagine that after a certain point of being in space in Star Trek a species works out the ideal form of a ship as far as they are concerned long before they hit diminishing returns on technology. So Starfleet decided that the Engineering space is separate from the living space and the living space shall be a saucer so it can land on planets and most people can have a window. Once you've had a bit of testing and adjusting on where everything inside the ship should be ideally placed then you just select the number of crew you want for the mission type and the algorithm makes you a saucer section and appropriately powerful engineering section. Boom, good for a hundred years or so.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AJA posted:

It's more common than you think.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

AJA posted:

[ announcer voice ] "In a world of post-scarcity ... a hero will rise ... one ship will change the future ... of luxury suite windows ..." [ /announcer voice ]

Not to mention that's the season one model with exaggerated more cartoony windows, the new realistic model's windows are a lot smaller.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wouldn't the saucer design have the least number of windows of any shape?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Zurtilik posted:

The future is weirdly into whatever is in the public domain!

I just assume that they only have access to Public Domain stuff, because everything else was locked down with DRM and is just no accessible by the late 2030's.

Can't play The Beatles if you can't access them!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Alchenar posted:

So Starfleet decided that the Engineering space is separate from the living space and the living space shall be a saucer so it can land on planets and most people can have a window.
A cylinder would be better to maximise window area. (Okay, the saucer is just a very flat cylinder, but you know what I mean.) Or something the shape of 2001's Monolith. Basically a skyscraper in space.

Perhaps even a cube - oh, wait.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A saucer would be good if you turned the gravity 90°.

Alternatively, one of the better 32nd century designs is the Eisenberg class, it's very different but you can kinda see how it derived from Starfleet's layout, and it gives good window. A 24th century ship that's kinda moving in that direction would be nice.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Oct 13, 2021

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

V-Men posted:

I'd be happy to have a five year moratorium on sword fighting in Star Trek outside of topless fencing or anbo jitsiu

You'll not have this dayyyyyghghg

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I keep thinking about a ship that's basically Spacedock oriented horizontally with the big saucery part at fore and a large annular nacelle at the narrow aft end

I wish I knew how to render spaceships, I'd have to hand-draw this and it wouldn't be as good

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Isn't that one of the Titans from Eve Online?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh hey, pretty much! Put a ring on its butt and make it incredibly smooth and spindly, that's pretty much what I had in mind.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Pff, just wrap the whole thing in redundant layers of shields, you can have the ship be any shape you like

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Pff, just wrap the whole thing in redundant layers of shields, you can have the ship be any shape you like

Maybe even just have a bunch of separate parts in fields, like a cluster of floating islands in space.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
What about just like a giant triangle with maybe a big tower in the middle for the bridge?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Zurtilik posted:

What about just like a giant triangle with maybe a big tower in the middle for the bridge?

Sounds like it would be suited for some kinda evil galactic empire! The Imperium, mayhaps it could be called

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Delsaber posted:

The worst thing about the Andorian redesign was the voice modulation they added, which I think only a couple characters had for a couple lines each and it disappeared after the first season.
God I hated that and I’m glad they ditched it

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FlamingLiberal posted:

God I hated that and I’m glad they ditched it

If you ever decide to re-watch those episodes just imagine that they forgot to do the firmware update on their universal translators

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Khanstant posted:

That's the kind of thing I would never notice, wouldn't expect Disco to, but I am surprised LD missed!

Next season will start off with Captain Freeman ranting about being marked down on her latest review over the running lights.

Naturally it would be Boimler who put the wrong lights up, "But now it goes red/green/red/green all the way around!"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say I think this is exactly the kind of ship you wouldn't build in Starfleet. It's an 80-year old hull form that's presumably not set up to efficiently use modern engines. It's an Earthican design and it's big so there's no argument for smaller alien yards being able to build it. There's a ton of reasons that modern warships don't look like 1920s designs, and you'd expect similar space reasons to apply in space. If you were looking to build an Excelsior replacement in the 2380s it would probably not look like an Excelsior.

I wouldn't presume hull or aerodynamics were any real concern at all with their tech. I'm also not sure how it looks old, it looks like any trek flying saucer with legs. Nobody else in the galaxy uses similar designs, so I doubt it's a design chosen for its inherent functionality, it's just an aesthetic style and tradition for earth feds.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Saucer, Engineering hull, nacelles is cool and helps distinguish Federation ships from more generic sci fi stuff. :colbert: A Federation ship without a saucer is like a 40k ship without a cathedral.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Eimi posted:

Saucer, Engineering hull, nacelles is cool and helps distinguish Federation ships from more generic sci fi stuff. :colbert: A Federation ship without a saucer is like a 40k ship without a cathedral.

Counterpoint: the defiant is cool

But AS AN EXCEPTION

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Bloop posted:

But AS AN EXCEPTION

:hmmyes:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

The Bloop posted:

But AS AN EXCEPTION

the defiant kinda looks like a saucer section as well

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

punishedkissinger posted:

the defiant kinda looks like a saucer section as well

True, it doesn't so much have a saucer as it IS a saucer, with attached nacelles and a proboscis

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Bloop posted:

True, it doesn't so much have a saucer as it IS a saucer, with attached nacelles and a proboscis

yeah, it's still pretty recognizably Starfleet because of the design language -- saucer with two nacelles on the sides, prominent round bridge on top, gunmetal gray body, red and blue nacelle lighting, it's pretty much the same general topography as if you took Voyager and jammed the nacelles on the sides of the saucer instead of having them on struts at the rear

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

why do Voyager's nacelles pivot anyway?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Supposedly it is how they are able to go max warp without damaging subspace.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Nitrousoxide posted:

oh that makes sense. at a 45 degree angle the deflection from the tetryons is less disruptive

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

punishedkissinger posted:

why do Voyager's nacelles pivot anyway?

They wanted something to move and the two options they came up with was the engines moving to warp, or the ship having bits extend/retract/etc when it goes into 'tactical mode' to fight. They ended up going with the engine thing.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

V-Men posted:

Its five-year moratorium... to avoid swinging blades
To seek out new forms of action sequence
To boldly fight by tackling and rolling on the floor!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Nitrousoxide posted:

well then why not just fix them into that position all the time

Hmmm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

well then why not just fix them into that position all the time

Hmmm?

The improved standing field is formed as they go up, the motion plays a part in its formation. :techno: