Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Huh, I'm getting the complete opposite. I think the writing has lots of subtle nods and clues (thanks to whoever pointed out the left-handed thing), many of which are leading to future plotlines, but these all feel natural and not fan-servicey. I love the Cleon actors and think they are doing an amazing job of :airquote: passing :airquote: their characters from episode to episode. The stuff on Terminus has been the slowest, but I like a good buildup and feel pretty confident with what has been displayed so far that it is leading to something satisfying.

The world building, sets, costumes, and special effects are all top quality. There have been a few times where it feels melodramatic like a stage play: the scene where Day blows up the planets while their envoys watch felt like it was filmed by a high school (except for the amazing production values) comes to mind. But, I really have very few criticisms so far and am enjoying it a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
Whole lot of hot and cold takes in this thread.

Me during the last episode-

"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
:sickos:

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

I said come in! posted:

This show just exists for extremely pretty movie quality CGI in a TV show. The moment you put any ounce of thought into the storyline, the whole thing falls apart. The writers didn't even try.

I said come in! posted:

This show should never have gotten out of the script writing phase. Its premise just doesn't work.

I said come in! posted:

I said this in the Apple TV thread, but I really want to like this show, it is just so terrible in everyway.

I'm new to TV IV. Is it common for people that don't like a TV show to keep coming back to post about how much they don't like the show?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yes.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

Whole lot of hot and cold takes in this thread.

Me during the last episode-

"The slow blade penetrates the shield."
:sickos:

Asimov come up with personal shields first :colbert:

Though in the book that technology was too advanced for the old empire It was invented by the Foundation

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There will be soon a Dune crossover episode sponsored as part of the movie promotion.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

droll posted:

I'm new to TV IV. Is it common for people that don't like a TV show to keep coming back to post about how much they don't like the show?

Yes, there's something about TV IV where people just get infuriated that others can like a thing they don't.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

droll posted:

If I don't tell you my opinion a dozen times how will you know that the show is bad

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I think the release all at once model has broken folks' brains. Similar thing happened in the discourse for Season 2 of Ted Lasso, so many "why isn't this plot point resolved NOW!?" complaints that looked silly in retrospect of the full season. I think similar will happen here: it's story that's trying to setup a ton of different plotlines. I think there can be some quibbling about the execution, but I know I'm on board for at least a season. There's some good small touches, the overall concept of a long-running story is intriguing, and we'll most likely see Jared Harris again which will be fun.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I mean, most of the posts in this thread are talking about how the show actually sucks. The only real praise has been Lee Pace.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like show

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I mean, most of the posts in this thread are talking about how the show actually sucks. The only real praise has been Lee Pace.

People are only excited about those Space Tyrant gains

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Open Source Idiom posted:

Also the irony of always and exclusively using the word "math" when this is a British production, featuring British actors speaking in their own accents, in a show about making sure all variations in knowledge and discourse are preserved, feels unintended and undermining.

Wait what, where have you got that from? Nearly the whole cast is american, it's made in america in an american studio written by americans based on an american book.
Yea there's one or two british people (like Jared and Reece!) but that's it.

Proteus Jones posted:

Yes, there's something about TV IV where people just get infuriated that others can like a thing they don't.

It's fun to complain about stuff. It's like reading steam reviews, I only read bad ones because who wants to hear about people liking things? I don't. And I'm not joking there.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde

feedmyleg posted:

I like show

:emptyquote:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

feedmyleg posted:

I like show

:emptyquote:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i like show 2

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I was ready to give up after Eps. 1-2 but the time skip and protagonist/setting change really reinvigorated my interest in the show (though I guess Gaal's about to end up in a Ridley-style situation lol)

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's very common, unfortunately. Snowpiercer does something similar too (Hi from the Snowpiercer thread!).
Haha, hi! I'd say at least Snowpiercer doesn't bookend the show with it. It's just the cold open to say "1001 cars long" or whatever it's at. I'm totally biased but I think that Snowpiercer actually does it the way it should be done. The metaphor is actually indicative of what you're going to watch for the episode and that show does a particularly decent job of ensuring the "lesson" is encapsulated within that episode. The bookend version of doing this feels more like "oh you probably missed it so we're going to say it one more time" but really the episode didn't actually follow through on the metaphor very well.

Nah I'm totally biased.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I said come in! posted:

Yeah, accurate though. Lee Pace rules.

I don't think it "sucks," but I do think you can feel the writer's struggle to collapse the "conflict" of the story into a character-based drama. The de-personalized scope of it is super alienating, very difficult to engage with. The Cleons are an attempt to reconcile that, which I think works pretty well, but the rest of it...I'm not so sure.

Meanwhile, I find all the normal person characters to feel inhuman, written with the same or similar voices and all hyper-rational to a degree that isn't very fun to watch. "Welcome to Terminus, where we all wear grey and our national sport is calmly debating philosophy." The ideas themselves are interesting, but I don't care about any of these people. And I agree with the complaint that the vast empire they inhabit feels totally lifeless. I'm sticking with it because I know the source material is beloved, but I often find myself missing The Expanse, where people have very different outlooks and goals that make sense, they behave in extremely human ways, and the setting feels vibrant and populated.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It feels like a screenplay written by Isaac Asimov

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Collateral posted:

Spoilers about an unrelated movie

Come on bro. Why

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xealot posted:

I'm sticking with it because I know the source material is beloved, but I often find myself missing The Expanse, where people have very different outlooks and goals that make sense, they behave in extremely human ways, and the setting feels vibrant and populated.

Yeah it's sort of amusing to me how the tyrant space dad clone family is more memorable and has actual character development.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

You are all responding to a guy who couldn’t draw out the climate change allusions in the show about the big brain science people warning about eventual but assured destruction.

The show is very good, but I’ll bet it was sold and funded because the writers could juice this angle, which really plays to apples demographic.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Taear posted:

Wait what, where have you got that from? Nearly the whole cast is american, it's made in america in an american studio written by americans based on an american book.
Yea there's one or two british people (like Jared and Reece!) but that's it.

A lot of the side actors are British - Reece Shearsmith, Eliot Cowan, Ian McNiece, Alfred Enoch, T'Nia Miller -- or UK based like the Aussie dude from Strike Back and Clarke Peters*, and the show was filmed in Europe and Ireland. IIRC the main studio stuff was shot in Ireland.

Pace and Mann are American, there are a couple of Spanish actors in the cast, one actor from Finland and another who's mostly filmed for Bollywood up until now. But otherwise they're all based in the UK.

*also Clarke Peters is in the loving show. I know it's been a decade since the Wire, but dude's no loving slouch in the acting department. Surprised people have missed him.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Looking forward to the Friday Lee Pace Show where Lee Pace in Saint Seiya armor put empire subjects into places.

He probably will get owned this Friday though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

stephenthinkpad posted:

Looking forward to the Friday Lee Pace Show where Lee Pace in Saint Seiya armor put empire subjects into places.

He probably will get owned this Friday though.

He'll totally get owned.

Luckily the empire has an ILP Machine (Infinite Lee Paces), and a new one will be along shortly to fill in.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He'll totally get owned.

Luckily the empire has an ILP Machine (Infinite Lee Paces), and a new one will be along shortly to fill in.

Also looking forward to adnormal low self-esteem Lee Pace next Friday.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I'm enjoying the show. I don't really have anything interesting to post about it, but it's entertaining. Best to watch it with the mindset of like an anthology about the collapse of a civilisation, instead of a super tight plotline.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I'd like to thank this thread for recommending mythic quest. I'm two episodes in and it is nothing like big bang theory, the poster ranting about the advertising might actually enjoy it.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Starks posted:

Come on bro. Why

that wasn't a real spoiler

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd like to thank this thread for recommending mythic quest. I'm two episodes in and it is nothing like big bang theory, the poster ranting about the advertising might actually enjoy it.

the shovel episode hooked you? really?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Starks posted:

Come on bro. Why

It's not real my friend.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I like show, be happy people are throwing money at things and making them pretty and somewhat interesting.

Soon the bottom is gonna fall out to all these subscription models and we'll be stuck with Big Bang Theory 5 Sheldon's old now.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Snape kills Gandalf.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also looking forward to adnormal low self-esteem Lee Pace next Friday.

Yeah, the Clone Zone is doing an amazing job. I guess it was not so subtle to have Left-Handed Cleon erase The Painter’s mural...

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Thank you for giving it a chance. Believe me, it only gets better from there. I'll say it again, the advertising for the show is literally the worst aspect of the show. There is nothing inside of that show that made me groan, roll my eyes, or sigh as much as all the advertising for the show would make me do those things.

Also it's the only show on Earth that, as far as I know, did 1 (just 1) pandemic-related episode, and it was fantastic. I think it had a perfect 100% on Rotten Tomatoes (if you care about that kind of thing.)

And yeah, even though I have some problems with how Foundation is running along, it's still way too pretty to not watch. I hope the CG artists for this thing are paid well and have a bright future ahead of them.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Collateral posted:

It's not real my friend.

now you've spoiled that he doesn't die, gently caress yoooouuuuuuuu

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He'll totally get owned.

The Lee Pace Expanded Universe

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
Show good, so what

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

now you've spoiled that he doesn't die, gently caress yoooouuuuuuuu

Dune: I actually thought about that before I posted, but whatever damned if you do, damned if you don't. I don't understand the original post, honestly. I only read the first two Dune books but Paul doesn't die. I've seen that he dies as an old man at the end of the third book, which is like decades after anything that will ever show up on screen.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It was supposed to be a false spoiler so obvious that nobody would think it was real. I should have gone with Jessica and Duncan get nasty while Leto watches wearing stilsuit.

I have only read the first book, I hear it really goes places later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emanresu tnuocca posted:

It's really just a liberal engineer's fantasy twist on marxist historical determinism.

Historical materialism isn't really deterministic, but yes - 'psychohistory' is just an extremely crude fictional analogue of historical materialism. Seldon is sort of a Marxy figure, except instead of calling for a revolutionary change in the structure the empire he just decides to peace out and build a big library.

Knowing this doesn't really make the books or the show any better. If you're gonna do a multi-century scifi epic, you'd better have both a decent theory of history and some interesting character drama at the personal level. Foundation has neither, and the result is a mess of smallscale plots that are just a mishmash of stuff happening to a bunch of instantly forgettable redshirts in the service of some vast inscrutable teleology.

It's very pretty but there's no 'there' there.