Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I used to just wear shorts everywhere and show up sweaty in the summer cuz I'm a sweaty guy anyway.

Now they have a no shorts rule, so I just roll my jeans up and then leave them rolled up all day long. I told my boss he can fire me if he doesn't like it and since I am by far the most skilled computer toucher he was like uhh yeah im just gonna pretend I never saw those pants rolled up keep doing a good job.

I also bring my bike inside now and leave it next to one of our data rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've heard a lot of office workers complain that it would be taboo to show up all sweaty.

in nyc, even without biking it's hard to not show up sweaty in the middle of summer. the subway stations are always like 100°+ because they're impossible to air condition.

and it's only gonna get worse every year, forever. you have no option but to embrace the sweat

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 16:18 on Oct 12, 2021

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Polo-Rican posted:

in nyc, even without biking it's hard to not show up sweaty in the middle of summer. the subway stations are always like 100°+ because they're impossible to air-condition

its also hard in the winter because everyone is smashed in and wearing coats.

on a 100 degree day i got on a 1 train that had no a/c. i still remember as the sweat pored off of me onto the floor thinking "i'm just gonna get off at the next stop and lay in front of this train to end this"

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

embrace the sweat

sweating is good and healthy

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I used to work about 2 miles from where I live. Had lots of options, but:

Took me 3 minutes by car on the highway

15 minutes by bike using mostly-protected lanes, but including several forced crossings of car traffic to whichever side of the road the engineers shoehorned bike lanes into

30 minutes by light rail if it came on time

25-40 minutes by bus depending on which I could catch

45 minutes walking including crossing 2 highway offramps, 10 minutes more to avoid that

All priority goes to the privately owned 5-figure 2 ton murder machines

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

saw a guy riding a penny farthing modified with what looked like multiple head lights going up and down the front fork last night - thought of this thread

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Waiting for the bus on high-traffic days really sucks. They have GPS and apps now, which is so loving cool, but it's still hard to predict their arrival. Sometimes the dot in the app just doesn't move for five minutes at a time.

Seriously bus apps still blow my mind. You can plan a whole trip with them.

you can also do this with google maps in most places, just put in your starting and ending destination, select the public transit option, and punch in the times and it'll give you a couple options

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

Not a Children posted:

I used to work about 2 miles from where I live. Had lots of options, but:

Took me 3 minutes by car on the highway

15 minutes by bike using mostly-protected lanes, but including several forced crossings of car traffic to whichever side of the road the engineers shoehorned bike lanes into

30 minutes by light rail if it came on time

25-40 minutes by bus depending on which I could catch

45 minutes walking including crossing 2 highway offramps, 10 minutes more to avoid that

All priority goes to the privately owned 5-figure 2 ton murder machines

Yep most places suck rear end and you're extremely lucky to have had light rail, buses, or bike lanes whatsoever. Where did you live?

one thing that drives me crazy are "nice" suburbs that don't have sidewalks for some loving reason. absolutely insane

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
There's a bus that runs from my apartment building directly to my office. I'm wfh so I don't ride it very often but it blows my coworkers minds when I say I'd rather take the extremely easy 30 minute bus ride instead of driving in traffic for 15. Lead isnt the only type of brain poisoning cars cause

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Polo-Rican posted:

Yep most places suck rear end and you're extremely lucky to have had light rail, buses, or bike lanes whatsoever. Where did you live?

one thing that drives me crazy are "nice" suburbs that don't have sidewalks for some loving reason. absolutely insane

Everyone who belongs there is in their GMC Sierra or Jeep Grand Cherokee, so sidewalks would just be inviting unwanted types.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they're redoing the road outside my house and i wish they'd just tear it up and put in a nice walk instead. i can't have my windows open ever because it's so loving loud so in the summer i have to run the expensive loving air conditioning or listen to motherfuckers blast by at 300 loving miles per hour rolling coal in their stupid rear end jacked up shitboxes

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vomik posted:

saw a guy riding a penny farthing modified with what looked like multiple head lights going up and down the front fork last night - thought of this thread

did he fall down a lot? cause I would

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

:yeshaha:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
if cars make people distort what they can get away with in terms of lying, then we truly live in anarchy

https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1447678971450171394

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

seems pretty easy to explain - the brain doesn't understand the speeds & masses therefore it lets us do extremely lethal poo poo without any consideration

Radirot posted:

did he fall down a lot? cause I would

i watched him slack-jawed bike down the street as i walked my dog. can't confirm he didn't fall over elsewhere tho

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
son its time you learned about car culture

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think the only traffic rule (if you can even call it that) I break on my bike is not dismounting in crosswalks (when on a multi-use trail that intersects with a street). I have to transition to the street when the trail ends, actually, and as far as I can tell there's no legal way to do that.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it's very important for you to be moving through crosswalks as slow as possible so there is more time for car murder

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
reverse skylift y/n?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it wants to play

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Lastgirl posted:

reverse skylift y/n?

the tumbler? oh you wouldn't be interested in that mister wayne

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

face down, rear end up, that's the way I like to truck

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://bushwickdaily.com/news/less-than-half-of-nycs-open-streets-are-ever-actually-open-study-finds/

the top level summary should be extremely unsurprising: people love when streets are car-free, the gov said it would make car-free streets, it has designated car-free streets but generally lets cars use those car-free streets, and they are dramatically more likely to actually keep a street car-free if it is white & wealthy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Tulip posted:

https://bushwickdaily.com/news/less-than-half-of-nycs-open-streets-are-ever-actually-open-study-finds/

the top level summary should be extremely unsurprising: people love when streets are car-free, the gov said it would make car-free streets, it has designated car-free streets but generally lets cars use those car-free streets, and they are dramatically more likely to actually keep a street car-free if it is white & wealthy

Seattle did this with a potemkin woonerf in Belltown which is now just a slightly inconvenient road with signs telling drivers to turn that they just ignore to continue driving straight through

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

NO THRU TRAFFIC

OR ENTER
I'M A SIGN, NOT A COP

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
give me the eco unfriendly routes to own libs better as I roll coal.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Last night a car obliterated a motorcycle in an intersection I ride through every day :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Sorry, a driver obliterated a motorcyclist.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
ah well nevertheless

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

The motorcyclist was at fault somehow, the car is not to be slowed down for any reason.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

this poo poo sucks because it will route me directly into a 40 minute highway delay due to an accident rather than diverting me to a route that would avoid the accident. I don’t even use google maps for directions anymore

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

google maps 100% fucks with you by sending you on stupid alternate routes just so they can collect more data on how long it takes

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
found some very intriguing footage to peruse at your convenience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCqLlWp8nZk

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

indigi posted:

this poo poo sucks because it will route me directly into a 40 minute highway delay due to an accident rather than diverting me to a route that would avoid the accident. I don’t even use google maps for directions anymore

It's gotten really bad lately and has started sending me down pointless side streets that require frequent turns, which is entirely what good road design is supposed to avoid. ROADS are for travel. STREETS are for doing things in town.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Tulip posted:

the city created these open streets and then left it up to volunteers to actually run them. all the city did was hand out some flimsy wooden barriers. unsurprisingly the people who have time to set these up and move them back when drivers push them out of the way are people with every advantage in our society already.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Sorry, a driver obliterated a motorcyclist.

that's it, we need to make motorcycles louder

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's gotten really bad lately and has started sending me down pointless side streets that require frequent turns, which is entirely what good road design is supposed to avoid. ROADS are for travel. STREETS are for doing things in town.

the american solution to this is the stroad, and like america it is the work of the great satan

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Last night a car obliterated a motorcycle in an intersection I ride through every day :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

the american solution to this is the stroad, and like america it is the work of the great satan

Yeah learning that word helped me to define why the new development here reminds me of metro Atlanta. It's because it's all stroads.