Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
idk if the rating was deliberately juiced cause even before the score went up to 5.8 there’s thousands of votes that aren’t sorted into the presented demographic categories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

something something ice breath

also why the gently caress would imdb care about the user ratings of a documentary profile, is there something I'm missing here? like the rating isn't for fauci himself and he presumably didn't make the film himself and also it means nothing?

people were review bombing it and imdb tried to correct through some formula that is not clear to me

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

yeah but what's anyone's motivation here. disney have billions of dollars tied up in the last jedi and star wars is a treasured cultural icon. who is sticking their neck out for this fauci documentary?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

josh04 posted:

yeah but what's anyone's motivation here. disney have billions of dollars tied up in the last jedi and star wars is a treasured cultural icon. who is sticking their neck out for this fauci documentary?

culture war nonsense for the right and imdb trying to correct their system being review bombed for imdb

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
the best imdb review i ever saw was a low rating for taxi driver because reagan got shot

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

josh04 posted:

Fauci is poo poo but the right-wing has made him out to be some kind of shadow president that controls where people can go and has the sole power to cancel holidays. The Soros of the new decade.

e: As for standing for Fauci, I guess libs and IMDB trying to correct review bombing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fauci in the MCU when?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tankbuster posted:

Fauci in the MCU when?

thanos already happened

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fauci in the DCEU when?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

thanos already happened

"Did you completely gently caress up the national response to both the AIDS crisis and COVID19?"
"Yes."
"What did it cost?"
"Not much as it turns out."

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Tankbuster posted:

Fauci in the DCEU when?

that's already a disaster

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
So I don't get it. Is the Fauci documentary the worst reviewed MCU property ever?

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

Timothee Chalamat doing a reverse Ryan Gosling/Robert Pattinson, starting with good stuff and ending up in poo poo

he's going to complete the depp-ification and star in like a feature length adaptation of it's a small world or space mountain

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

he's going to complete the depp-ification and star in like a feature length adaptation of it's a small world or space mountain

Robert Pattinson was really good like all the articles about how he roasted the Twilight author for her crazy behavior on set along with her terrible writing.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judakel posted:

thanos already happened

You don't get to talk about capes anymore, lol

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

You don't get to talk about capes anymore, lol

I talk about capes all the time? Right now I am doing it, in fact.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Judakel posted:

I talk about capes all the time? Right now I am doing it, in fact.

Yeah and after bitching everytime it comes up we find out you're a secret cape aficionado.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

HootTheOwl posted:

Yeah and after bitching everytime it comes up we find out you're a secret cape aficionado.

So you admit I get to talk about capes? Interesting, Snyder freak.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i have an idea lets talk about the fauci documentary instead of capes

https://twitter.com/statomattic/status/1447994820451053572

quote:

New York Times reporter Apoorva Mandavilli appears to sing the praises of the good doctor, as well as former CDC director Tom Frieden, Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Laurie Garrett, and former National Security Advisor and current Assistant Secretary of State Susan Rice. The selection of these defenders is ironic given that Mandavilli has recently published egregious errors regarding COVID’s threat to children, Rice had a rocky–to be kind–relationship with the truth during the Obama administration, and Frieden is a convicted sex criminal, but the subject of the film is Fauci, so let’s return to him.

awww yeah this is the good poo poo

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roughtzsCDI
anyone remember this song

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
so how much does the fauci documentary gloss over his role in the aids crisis. probably entirely right

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

depends on what you mean by gloss over according to the review i posted half of the runtime is about the aids crisis but the movie somehow manages to avoid saying anything about what fauci actually did except show leadership this is a banger bit btw

quote:

One morsel of truth Fauci does deliver to applause from AIDS activists is that “scientists cannot dismiss activists merely on account of the fact that they are not trained scientists.”

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

man dr dre ages better than i thought

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

I am curious what the author thinks are the "very real, often very scientific, concerns of COVID skeptics," but otherwise it's a solid piece.

Random Asshole has issued a correction as of 23:20 on Oct 12, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/NAPAWF/status/1447948367816953857

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lol at the idea kids will "culturally appropriate" costumes creates by the Walt Disney company, who obviously can do no wrong and has never appropriated anything

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

but what if cheapskate parents try to make their own shangchi costumes that racistly do stuff like uhhh give them slanty eyes i guess

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

but what if cheapskate parents try to make their own shangchi costumes that racistly do stuff like uhhh give them slanty eyes i guess
https://www.romper.com/entertainment/can-my-non-asian-child-dress-up-as-shang-chi-for-halloween

quote:

While the point of movies like Shang-Chi reaching mainstream popularity is for children of all backgrounds to be able to love heroes of all kinds, there is more nuance to this. What if, for example, the execution of the costumes included yellow face makeup and the taped-up “Asianized” eyes that have become a part of the “fox-eye” trend?

Cindy Joung is a director at Gold House, a high-profile nonprofit dedicated to enabling more authentic multicultural representation and societal equity for Asians and Pacific Islanders that co-organizes #GoldOpen campaigns. “Dressing up as Shang-Chi by wearing the dragon scale suit and donning ten rings on your arms because you want to fight bad guys and join the Avengers is good,” says Joung, who is also a mom to a 5-year-old daughter. “Pulling your eyes back and uttering ching-chong noises while in a Shang-Chi costume — or ever — is, of course, not OK.”

lmao they crossed that line way better than you

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I feel like this is really on Disney for having Shang-Chi's catch phrase be ching-chong.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
what’s the controversy around Fauci? Aside from what muh freedom antivaxxers whine about.

non-American so I don’t follow him to closely, just familiar enough to know his public expert role in us news outlets.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Falukorv posted:

what’s the controversy around Fauci? Aside from what muh freedom antivaxxers whine about.

non-American so I don’t follow him to closely, just familiar enough to know his public expert role in us news outlets.

He's the same guy that was involved in handling the AIDS crisis during Reagan and did a horrific job. During our current pandemic, Fauci and the CDC essentially say 'No we don't need to do any extra measures' and then change their minds months later or not at all. He drags his feet with everything.

etalian posted:

Robert Pattinson was really good like all the articles about how he roasted the Twilight author for her crazy behavior on set along with her terrible writing.

I love the story about how Pattinson was skipping workouts and whatever supersoldier serum the studio keeps trying to give him for the new Batman movie. Give me a scrawny guy, not a muscle monster.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Falukorv posted:

just with covid, he stemmed supply problems with facemasks in march-april 2020 by saying they weren't necessary for nonmedical personnel, which went a long way toward birthing the anti-mask movement. then put in the least effort out of any first-world country in instituting any sort of restriction of movement or enforcement thereof, delegating that authority to localities without any promise of federal support or backbone. was run roughshod over by republican governors. oversaw hilarious rollout of vaccines, bent over backwards to support copyright law so they couldn't be immediately generic'd and exported, then hosed up the distribution logistics compared to other countires. opened 'er up

EDIT: as always, no american in this position would have performed better because of regulatory capture. fauci's been where he is that long because he serves other interests than the public. we're doomed to deal with this stuff until violent revolution :)

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 06:43 on Oct 13, 2021

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Jimmy Olson is a twink and Superman wants bears that he can superfuck now please give me $50 million to make a movie thank you in advance

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Jimmy Olson is a twink and Superman wants bears that he can superfuck now please give me $50 million to make a movie thank you in advance

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
what if children put on the Shang-Chi costume and go around peeing in people's soft drinks

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

smarxist posted:

what if children put on the Shang-Chi costume and go around peeing in people's soft drinks

well I know that some people wouldn't like this joke

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

i say swears online posted:

just with covid, he stemmed supply problems with facemasks in march-april 2020 by saying they weren't necessary for nonmedical personnel

also good to note that this didn’t really work, partly because of production not ramping up right away, partly because hospitals lowballed their estimates of what they’d need (arguably due to Fauci’s lax attitude), and partly because Trump was straight up letting feds steal stuff and divert it to red states. Fauci was mostly silent on this

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Trump's Covid response was terrible and Biden's response was also terrible, and the one guy they have in common is Fauci. Granted, I still blame Trump and Biden more.

Perhaps if Fauci was treated relatively indifferently, I would feel more indifferently about him. But because shitlibs are elevating him to RBG status and whitewashing his quite mixed record as a public health official, I'm cool with saying he sucks.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

what if racist children start wearing shang chi costumes ironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/chump_dick/status/1447799654624673794