Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Stravag posted:

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

Are 40% of cops on China’s payroll?

Google “40% of cops” to learn more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

95% of Taiwan is Han Chinese. They're not threatening to genocide them; they're making threatening territorial claims.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Best Friends posted:

95% of Taiwan is Han Chinese. They're not threatening to genocide them; they're making threatening territorial claims.
Ehh, at least from what I've skimmed, self-identification as "Taiwanese" has surged since the early 90s. As of June, 63% identify foremost as Taiwanese, 31% as both Taiwanese and Chinese, and only 2.7% as only Chinese. This would surely be rabidly suppressed during any occupation unless there was zero resistance. We're seeing very much the same thing now in Hong Kong where unique hallmarks of what it meant to be a Hong Konger are being swept away with coercive force.

China's been careful to walk a fine line such that it's not setting up death camps for "problem" minority groups and would accept their outward conversion into the mainstream. But it's unambiguously a program of cultural genocide.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nick Soapdish posted:

Mark Keith Robinson is an American politician serving as the 35th lieutenant governor of North Carolina since 2021. A member of the Republican Party, he is the first African-American to hold the office.

well gently caress me, I was sure SC was the only state still dumb enough to elect gov & lt gov on separate tickets

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

well gently caress me, I was sure SC was the only state still dumb enough to elect gov & lt gov on separate tickets

Virginia too.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Cugel the Clever posted:

Ehh, at least from what I've skimmed, self-identification as "Taiwanese" has surged since the early 90s. As of June, 63% identify foremost as Taiwanese, 31% as both Taiwanese and Chinese, and only 2.7% as only Chinese.

A change in national identification in Taiwan meaning that China is going to do ethnic or cultural genocide on Taiwan is an insane reach. And the 'threat of genocide to Taiwan' in question is being sourced from a tweet citing an article which at no point actually threatened genocide.

This is flashbacks to the 90s and 2000s when Saddam Hussein was a clear and present danger and was throwing babies out of incubators.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
dont worry guys, china is too busy with one genocide to do another

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

It's heartening how much our foreign policy establishment and the well meaning liberals who love it care so deeply about oppressed Muslim minorities in distant lands.

Now to look at United States foreign policy over the past thirty years and... Oh. Oh no. Oh this can't be right...

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Best Friends posted:

Yeah, I think people are focusing on the wrong part of the "final solution for the Taiwan question". Why would China genocide a highly educated, strongly industrialized society, when it can just suppress dissent Hong Kong style? And as you said, there's not even a need to do any ethnic cleansing. The real Nazi-ish part is the "Taiwan question", which mirrors the "Polish question" (whether an independent Poland should exists or not).

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Best Friends posted:

It's heartening how much our foreign policy establishment and the well meaning liberals who love it care so deeply about oppressed Muslim minorities in distant lands.

Now to look at United States foreign policy over the past thirty years and... Oh. Oh no. Oh this can't be right...

wee bit o difference, tankie

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

orange juche posted:

Someone make a :dadworms: emote please

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Subforum title is very spooky.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Subforum title is very spooky.

Surprise! You've been reenlisted!

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

My Spirit Otter posted:

wee bit o difference, tankie

Not exactly sure how that post praises Mao or Stalin or is in any way actually tankie

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Best Friends posted:

Who has been morally righteous enough to criticize the Chinese?

Lets examine all the times that remaining silent about human rights attorcities resulted in good outcomes for the oppressed:
?

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 13, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Best Friends posted:

Why are you like this?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Crack-ping is a crazy thing, vin.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Who has been morally righteous enough to criticize the Chinese?

The people on North Sentinel Island.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/jdbalart/status/1447974840699392005

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Crack-ping is a crazy thing, vin.

The people on North Sentinel Island.

Someone send them a SA account! We need to talk to these people.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pretty sure they'd just attack whatever we send them.

Truly the best people, rightly untrusting in the rest of the world.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Not exactly sure how that post praises Mao or Stalin or is in any way actually tankie

Tankies love to minimize the Uighur genocide by saying that only imperialists care about them and are using it as an excuse to expand American influence

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Bah.

McNally fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 13, 2021

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

Tankies love to minimize the Uighur genocide by saying that only imperialists care about them and are using it as an excuse to expand American influence

Yes, I understand what tankies are. However I don't see the problem of pointing out 30 years of US interventionism in majority Muslim countries as being somewhat problematic.

Hell, the post is saying maybe we'd have a bit more ground to call out the Chinese if we weren't engaged in killing Muslims everywhere else in the world

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Yes, I understand what tankies are. However I don't see the problem of pointing out 30 years of US interventionism in majority Muslim countries as being somewhat problematic.

Hell, the post is saying maybe we'd have a bit more ground to call out the Chinese if we weren't engaged in killing Muslims everywhere else in the world

Lol what a generous interpretation - where is all this good faith when you are responding to literally anyone else on this forum?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Grip it and rip it posted:

Lol what a generous interpretation - where is all this good faith when you are responding to literally anyone else on this forum?

Love to post and posters and their posting

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
We're going to stop now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Love to post and posters and their posting

We know.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

In fact 15 years ago the US was criticizing China for not doing anything to combat Islamic extremism in the region. It appears now with the withdrawal from Afghanistan US messaging is now on to saying there is nothing going on.

In short I have no idea what the ground truth is and we sure aren’t going to find that out from English language media.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

In short I have no idea what the ground truth is.
Everything everywhere is hosed by almost any measure and only getting more so?

Edit: That's awfully doomer. Climate change and it's attendant political/humanitarian/economic crises got me shook and not seeing a very bright future. There's also lots of good stuff happening in a lot of places.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 13, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

In fact 15 years ago the US was criticizing China for not doing anything to combat Islamic extremism in the region. It appears now with the withdrawal from Afghanistan US messaging is now on to saying there is nothing going on.

In short I have no idea what the ground truth is and we sure aren’t going to find that out from English language media.

If there's one enduring legacy from GWOT, it's that "terrorism" and the specter of "radical Islam" have given authoritarian governments worldwide carte blanche to harass and crack down on opposition groups to forcibly reshaping a pesky frontier's cultural and demographic makeup. While the Chinese government can rightfully be sharply critical at the US' anti-Islam actions over the past 20 years, that doesn't mean that they're beyond reproach for what they're doing in Xinjiang either.

"gently caress both the US and Chinese governments" is a perfectly consistent position to hold.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If the Bezos dick rocket crashes in the desert I will laugh myself to death today.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If the Bezos dick rocket crashes in the desert I will laugh myself to death today.

I'm hoping Bezos' rocket crash lands on Elon's house.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Soylent Pudding posted:

I'm hoping Bezos' rocket crash lands on Elon's house.

This, but on trump

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Hear me out, what if it crashed on elon's house while trump was visiting

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If we could just organize a conference of every billionaire in the country in a little desert community during some marathon rocket launches nearby, that'd be great.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The problem with doing that any time the Uighurs come up is that it’s using whataboutism to say that it’s totally fine for China to be committing genocide.

It is in fact totally possible to condemn multiple atrocities at the same time, and saying that Americans don’t have the ground to do so because of actions taken by an increasingly non-democratically selected government does nothing to help anybody but the authoritarians.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The United States helped create this crisis and is doing nothing to stop this from happening right now and absolutely no one who says the (utterly meaningless) word "Tankie" gives the slightest poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_Yemen_(2016–present)

quote:

Since 2016, a food insecurity crisis has been ongoing in Yemen which started during the Yemeni Civil War.[10] The UN estimates that the war caused an estimated 130,000 deaths from indirect causes which include lack of food, health services, and infrastructure (December 2020).[11] In 2018, Save the Children estimated that 85,000 children have died due to starvation in the three years prior.[12][13] In May 2020, UNICEF described Yemen as "the largest humanitarian crisis in the world", and estimated that 80% of the population, over 24 million people, were in need of humanitarian assistance.[14] The crisis is being compounded by an outbreak of cholera, which is resulting in over 3000 deaths since 2015.[15] While the country is in crisis and multiple regions have been classified as being in IPC Phase 4 (humanitarian emergency), an actual classification of famine conditions was averted in 2018 and again in early 2019 due to international relief efforts.[16][17] In January 2021, two out of 33 regions were classified as IPC 4 (humanitarian emergency) while 26 were classified as IPC 3 (acute crisis).[18]

If anyone has deep sympathy in their heart for Muslim minorities being genocided by autocratic regimes, there is at least some good news: the government of the country you actually live in is a million times easier to persuade to stop enabling this than it is to convince the government of China to do anything.

Now I'll sit back, confident that all this great concern for Muslim minorities being genocided will absolutely surely result in so much as a phone call to a variety of forum poster representatives, demanding we stop all support for Saudi Arabia and demanding an end to the blockade of Yemen. In fact, doing so would be a great way to own "the tankies" (anyone to your left who says something you find alienating)

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Internet Wizard posted:

The problem with doing that any time the Uighurs come up is that it’s using whataboutism to say that it’s totally fine for China to be committing genocide.

That is one hell of an inflammatory stretch.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Best Friends posted:

Now I'll sit back, confident that all this great concern for Muslim minorities being genocided will absolutely surely result in so much as a phone call to a variety of forum poster representatives, demanding we stop all support for Saudi Arabia and demanding an end to the blockade of Yemen.

*remembers Boebert is his rep*

Hold on, let me go piss in the wind...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

*remembers Boebert is his rep*

Hold on, let me go piss in the wind...

Hey, just cage it as jingoistic America First isolationism. Know your audience!