Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Just Andi Now posted:

It's also possible without those (I've seen video proof), but you have to make ample use of flash shift to get in before running out of the shine spark

This blows my mind because even with everything available I feel like the timing for this one was the least forgiving of any of the puzzles in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

wall jumping is cooler

Sorry, I can't hear you from all the way up here! If only you could parkour off the clouds! :smug:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

activate speed booster first, problem solved

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

MokBa posted:

This blows my mind because even with everything available I feel like the timing for this one was the least forgiving of any of the puzzles in the game.

I actually managed to replicate it myself (although with the blocks at the end already broken)

https://i.imgur.com/ZiTh0ue.mp4

Turns out not that difficult.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

CainFortea posted:

Eh. Ever since I got the multiple double jump thingy I can't jump off walls anymore. Even hitting the button while still going up.
this is your example of the game feeling unresponsive??

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

chumbler posted:

I do not have those, so I'll have to search them out. Thanks.

You can also charge a spark starting at the left of the shutter, the spark will last long enough for the shutter to open and let you flash over to the blocks.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

chumbler posted:

Ok I'm stumped on this one, in part by probably not understanding shinespark mechanics that well.

Not pictured two bomb blocks in a row off to the right on the same level as the floor I'm standing on. I don't know how you carry a shinespark from the bomb blocks all the way over to here, I lose it even with flash shifting all the way over.

Run from the left, to the right.

e: oops there was another page oh well

Metroid Dread: If the timing is tight you're doing it wrong

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I gotta say Metroid Dread almost lost me at the very start with the second EMMI evasion party. It felt very frustrating because you couldn't hide in any way from the EMMI and just had to rely on luck so that it wouldn't be near the route you needed to take. So many deaths and so much frustration.

Luckily the Stealth Cloak fixes that problem entirely and turned the EMMI sequences into a much more enjoyable game of hide and seek. And now I'm fully expecting the next EMMI I meet to have X-ray vision or something.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I really like the implicit storytelling and Samus's characterization in this game.

She gets all of 2 voiced lines in the whole game: Speaking to bird friend and some grunting when she's absolutely losing her poo poo at the end. The grunting really drives home that for the first time she's not actually in a good place. All that rear end kicking and only now is she having problems.

And maybe this is just my headcannon but I have the feeling that Samus knows drat well that something's wrong with Adam early on and it seems like she doesn't really give a poo poo about what he has to say. While he's telling her how cool and powerful Raven Beak is, she's too busy daydreaming about the best way to fry a Chozo to listen.

Regarding emmis, they're not my favorite mechanic but I don't hate it either. Breaking their zones up into small manageable chunks and complete lack of penalty for dying made the encounters bearable. As I was playing I was getting ready to complain about how dumb it is that even though Samus is getting more powerful she continues to be helpless against them (and technically, even more helpless as the zone design makes their encounters more difficult) but then I noticed that the emmis were taking up less and less screen time. The last emmi getting crushed in a cutscene really helped sell the power fantasy.

8/10 it has it's problems but overall I liked it.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i didnt mind the emmis but i really didnt like the omega beam sequences

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Omega beam sequences are annoying, and I feel like the aiming is off somehow. I may be getting some stick drift.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I beat Metroid Fusion earlier today (cool game, wish the bosses were turned down a smidge across the board because it makes the game way harder than it really needs and the story is very 2002 Video Game but otherwise liked it a heck of a lot) and finally started on Dread

I'm honestly shocked by how loving good this is. played up through __kraid__ in one sitting and I'm so happy that this thing is Metroid 5. the melee counter system is such a fun, smart system for making a game like this less finicky in a 3D world, and the boss fights are just the wildest thing I've ever seen outside of like a Bayonetta or something. like, having played through four Metroids, I can say with some authority that this is a game about loving spamming the shot button at massive enemies and loving praying that this time is going to be the one, and them incorporating that into a pseudo-QTE that never feels like you're "losing control" is so brilliant. the EMMIs are also a fun signature of the world, very reminiscent of the repeated metroid fights of II (or AM2R in my case) or the final-phase X parasite fights in Fusion to me

also, I think it's interesting that the checkpointing in this game is far more "fair" by modern standards than past Metroid games, but also MercurySteam does poo poo that you absolutely couldn't get away with if you were, like, saving at save rooms. instant-kill EMMIs wouldn't work at all if you didn't get a checkpoint entering a room, for example

e: also it took them five games but finally a loving usable wall jump. i assume as karma for this there's going to be a space jump and it's going to be loving impossible to hit consistently

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 13, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Renegret posted:

I really like the implicit storytelling and Samus's characterization in this game.

She gets all of 2 voiced lines in the whole game: Speaking to bird friend and some grunting when she's absolutely losing her poo poo at the end. The grunting really drives home that for the first time she's not actually in a good place. All that rear end kicking and only now is she having problems.
this is my favorite part of Dread easily. Not enough people played Samus Returns but they did a great job with her characterization there as well as a stone cold badass in the little pre/post boss cutscenes, and they did it even better in Dread.

one of the things I absolutely adore is how she's arguably more competent in cutscenes than when you're controlling her. It's a common trope for protagonists to immediately do dumb poo poo once they're in cutscenes - you walk into an area and a cutscene plays where the protag walks into a trap or something, the good old cutscene incompetence happens all the time - but when control is taken away from you in Metroid Dread Samus is on the ball. I loved the cutscene where you run into an E.M.M.I. and the camera pans around to Samus already having activated the stealth cloak :allears:

It's also the lowest of all bars to clear but I am so goddamn happy with her voice lines, considering her previous speaking role. She just busts out the fluid Chozo to say "don't worry birdman, I'll fix this poo poo". It's just the absolute opposite of what Other M did to Samus and it feels so good.

and the ending...... oh man the ending....

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
About Samus If you think about it, why wouldn't she be fluent in Chozo, she was raised by them from a very young age so it would have replaced her native tongue of space english.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Judge Tesla posted:

About Samus If you think about it, why wouldn't she be fluent in Chozo, she was raised by them from a very young age so it would have replaced her native tongue of space english.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

And now I'm fully expecting the next EMMI I meet to have X-ray vision or something.

Rest assured, the next EMMI won't have that.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Gonkish posted:

Omega beam sequences are annoying, and I feel like the aiming is off somehow. I may be getting some stick drift.

It’s not your stick.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Your Computer posted:

It's also the lowest of all bars to clear but I am so goddamn happy with her voice lines, considering her previous speaking role. She just busts out the fluid Chozo to say "don't worry birdman, I'll fix this poo poo". It's just the absolute opposite of what Other M did to Samus and it feels so good.

https://twitter.com/nikkigarcia_es/status/1447664815254786058

The bassline kicking in under that bit is super hype.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

jackhunter64 posted:

https://twitter.com/nikkigarcia_es/status/1447664815254786058

The bassline kicking in under that bit is super hype.

followed immediately by dying to that chozo robot prick

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
I guess it's my problem more than the game's, but I absolutely hate pressing in the stick while running.
I'm one of like two people who prefer to jump using the circle button in Dark Souls, too.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Vookatos posted:

I guess it's my problem more than the game's, but I absolutely hate pressing in the stick while running.
I'm one of like two people who prefer to jump using the circle button in Dark Souls, too.

Nah, I really don't like that they had L3 as the input for the speed booster as well. It feels awkward.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
So there's still one thing about the ending I don't quite understand.

Why does X possessed Quiet Robe show up on Samus' ship and then apparently sacrifice itself? None of that makes sense. The X act solely on the instinct to "Make more of us" and nothing about that scene helps the X propagate.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Why does X possessed Quiet Robe show up on Samus' ship and then apparently sacrifice itself? None of that makes sense. The X act solely on the instinct to "Make more of us" and nothing about that scene helps the X propagate.

Two Possibilities:

1: That X had Quiet Robe's memories and got infected by his chill nature and felt compelled to help Samus out.

2: The planet was seconds away from exploding and the X's survival instincts decided being absorbed was better than exploding.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Your Computer posted:

I love it. Watching that cutscene I was thinking, oh man Samus you dick you're just gonna let the birdman just monolog to himself or something before walking away all silent protag style. Then out of nowhere she's like, "nah I got this I'm gonna go gently caress poo poo up".

Another reason I think she already knows something's wrong with Adam. The entire time the objective according to him is just to get to your ship and get the gently caress outta dodge. But Samus clearly has other ideas.

Judge Tesla posted:

Two Possibilities:

1: That X had Quiet Robe's memories and got infected by his chill nature and felt compelled to help Samus out.

2: The planet was seconds away from exploding and the X's survival instincts decided being absorbed was better than exploding.

I'm thinking it's option 1. Option 2 is just suicide by metroid and doesn't really explain why it suddenly made her less metroid. I'm also irrationally mad I can't call Samus 'Metroid' as a joke anymore.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Renegret posted:

I love it. Watching that cutscene I was thinking, oh man Samus you dick you're just gonna let the birdman just monolog to himself or something before walking away all silent protag style. Then out of nowhere she's like, "nah I got this I'm gonna go gently caress poo poo up".

Another reason I think she already knows something's wrong with Adam. The entire time the objective according to him is just to get to your ship and get the gently caress outta dodge. But Samus clearly has other ideas.

I'm thinking it's option 1. Option 2 is just suicide by metroid and doesn't really explain why it suddenly made her less metroid. I'm also irrationally mad I can't call Samus 'Metroid' as a joke anymore.

Gonna feel real dumb when she gets zapped in metroid 6 and her metroid powers go flying all over the world into a bunch of power-ups

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Judge Tesla posted:

I feel like if it was that easy the Chozo wouldn't have needed to create the Metroids, just get purposely infected ad boom, the threat to the galaxy is over.

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

Regarding the controls of the game, I managed to get used to them well enough, but I think the issues other people are going through are happening because there's really no reason three buttons should be pressed just to shoot a missile or grapple beam. It's not as though the R and ZR buttons are used for anything else, why not just designate them as the fire missile/grapple beam buttons instead? Or at least have a toggle like Super Metroid instead of needlessly complicating what should be simple actions?

Vookatos posted:

:hfive:

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Now that I've beaten the game and got back through the thread, I'm surprised how many people are talking about boss fights being long.

Storm Missiles wreck pretty much everything, and with the final boss, you don't even have to aim them, just have the boss be on the same horizontal line as you and don't get hit for a few seconds.

I hope this isn't the end of 2D Metroid, because there's definitely some room for improvement with move varied environments, better music, and cooler-looking bosses.

I should probably dust off my Wii U if Nintendo doesn't announce Prime Trilogy next direct.

Speaking of, some insiders have said that apparently, the plans have shifted to releasing Prime individually. I can only see this happening if they decided to go for a remake and it proved to be a bit more difficult to develop than expected. Take all of this with a grain of salt, of course, as this comes from people who are sometimes right and sometimes fall for what's most likely Nintendo's bullshit that tries to determine who leaks the info (such as infamous really big MOTHER 3 rumour from a few years back that almost everyone confirmed was real)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

the thing here is that we don't really know anything about the x except what we can observe in the games. like sure, characters in fusion say that they must be unfeeling animals but nobody actually knows that, or really anything else about them for that matter except for the fact that they're clearly dangerous if left to spread. so it's entirely possible they're capable of emotion, higher though, sentience, or whatever under specific circumstances such as the ones here. don't forget that at the end of fusion kinda the same thing happens and sa-x helps samus out with killing the omega metroid (less of a departure from their normal behaviour in this case because that's still its natural predator obviously but you can see the parallels, i think)

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Amppelix posted:

the thing here is that we don't really know anything about the x except what we can observe in the games. like sure, characters in fusion say that they must be unfeeling animals but nobody actually knows that, or really anything else about them for that matter except for the fact that they're clearly dangerous if left to spread. so it's entirely possible they're capable of emotion, higher though, sentience, or whatever under specific circumstances such as the ones here. don't forget that at the end of fusion kinda the same thing happens and sa-x helps samus out with killing the omega metroid (less of a departure from their normal behaviour in this case because that's still its natural predator obviously but you can see the parallels, i think)

Could argue it went down doing what every X would hope for, "killing" the last metroid in existence. Same way the SA-X decided helping you kill the Omega at the end of Fusion was more important than anything else.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Midair shinespark?! Good for one puzzle total as far as I'm aware? Arrghhh!

I get that shinespark is basically limited to side stuff but it could've explained its rules better. Maybe it's aimed at more hardcore people than me who figure out that poo poo though.

snoremac fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

snoremac posted:

Midair shinespark?! Good for one puzzle total as far as I'm aware? Arrghhh!

I think it's 2 :negative:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Zebulon posted:

Could argue it went down doing what every X would hope for, "killing" the last metroid in existence. Same way the SA-X decided helping you kill the Omega at the end of Fusion was more important than anything else.
I always figured the X in Fusion prioritized the real Metroids over Samus with the metroid DNA vaccine/fusion suit because Samus had absorbed so much X that they considered her more "one of them" than their ancient enemies, the metroids, were.

I suppose that's a shoe waiting to drop in future games.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Beat it, 13 hours on the clock. Part of it being my bad habit of leaving games running while paused, part of it being wanting to get to 100% without a guide and a lot of trial and error on shinespark puzzles in particular. Also a special gently caress you to the missile upgrade that's just in the top corner of a moderate sized room which does not show up on the map before you space jump in its direction.

Solid game on all fronts, with the boss fights deserving a special shout out. I've never fought anything where the transition from getting absolutely, embarassingly creamed to grinding them under your heel without breaking a sweat felt so smooth. When I finally got a handle on Experiment Z-57 after like 15 attempts, it was over so fast I was convinced there had to be another phase to the fight.

Favorite piece of environmental storytelling has to be the weird monster you come across when you go from Dairon to Burenia. At first the room is dark and the thing appears to be very dead, but it's arm will twitch exactly once as you go past, which freaked me out. Then you restore power to the room and the machine starts zapping it and making it twitch, but it's still very dead. Then, later on, once you've fought Experiment Z-57 and go back there, the monster is gone. It's probably gone as soon as you release the X, which would be cool foreshadowing, but I'm afraid I missed that.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Re: the ending I figure Quite Robe did some kind of DNA editing to himself to 'survive' X infection or at least keep some semblance of his mind. He's likely one of the best scientists, otherwise why would Raven Beak kidnap him rather than someone else, and he probably had years to plan this. Whatever he did to himself likely stabilised Samus' Metroid DNA when she absorbed him too.

Probably some kind of last ditch effort just in case and not something you could rely on as an X 'cure' or whatever.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Oct 13, 2021

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Do only certain hidden items get the flashing map thing? I've got three missing items in Dairon and no flashes. I appear to have been everywhere, just some stray shaded out parts left in each room.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

snoremac posted:

Do only certain hidden items get the flashing map thing? I've got three missing items in Dairon and no flashes. I appear to have been everywhere, just some stray shaded out parts left in each room.

I think the flashing white blocks are for when there's something you haven't revealed at all. Otherwise you have to check for powerups uncollected but on the map, exposed blocks, etc.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
like everything else in the game, the ending is clearly explained by some sort of special DNA (just something to do with it they didn't explain in game)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Also, about the EMMIs, I personally really liked their segments, and going by the trip reports here, I'm pretty sure the game tells you something about the way their AI works that some people may have missed. This might help out if you're still struggling with them:

Whenever they hear Samus, they emit a radar-like overlay, and any movement you make will emit a little yellow ping. The EMMI will move in a straight line towards wherever the last sound it heard was. Your options here are to move out of its hearing range (the edge of the overlay), or to cloak up and avoid it. If you cloak and do not move, the EMMI will bump straight into you, because you're in the spot it expects you to be. If you're in a spot that allows you to move far away, like a moving magnet wall or long straight path, you can just walk away. If not, you can cloak up and after cloaking, jump onto a magnet wall, a higher/lower platform, or a morph ball nook. If you're in a spot where it can't see you, you can even decloak with no issue, so long as you don't move while right next to it. It should stop at the spot you were before cloaking, do a 360 visual scan of the area, and resume its patrol in the opposite direction of whence it came.

Once I figured them out, I basically never touched an EMMI unless I got myself stuck in a corner and one time where I was clinging to the ceiling it decided to patrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

snoremac posted:

there are entire sections of the map(s) that are extra hidden and don't flash on the map