Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass :unsmith:

Support Tauhid's Patreon here.

Old School Peanuts (Jan 28, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 20-21, 1990)

Blind Alley

https://kumerish.com/blind-alley

*FLCL music plays*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

Vargo posted:

This is like the third TWtD in a row that does "But Now! WOW!" for "women are actually doing things" and I'm beginning to think Art Beeman is less "mad about it" and more "horny for it."

Yeah that's the interesting thing about this strip: it's not always "things used to be this way, and now they're worse!" Sometimes it's "things used to be this way, and that was awful!", sometimes it's "things used to be this way, and now they're better", sometimes it's just "things used to be this way and now they're this other way". It's less likely to be inherently nostalgic/anti-progress than other strips in its mold (though it certainly is that often enough).

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
"Things used to be this way, and now they're sexier"

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
We have cameras pointed directly at us at my work, which is delivery, and any attempt people have made to cover the cameras results in a write-up asap, termination after a few times. I love the fact that cops, who get paid about 4 times what I do, can just turn theirs off.

Speaking of Dustin, have we ever, even once, seen a comic where all four of the family is actually happy and not cutting down each other?

And Ev True is right to beat that person! Pre covid, there was a woman in my aquarium club who would lick her fingers every time before she reached in to draw a raffle ticket. I am still in charge of the raffle: idea is I'd call the winner, winner comes up and draws the next ticket, then goes to choose their prize. So it wasn't like there was just one person touching the tickets. The first time I saw her doing it, I was too shocked to do anything. The second time, I jerked the jar away and told her not to lick her fingers before touching the tickets. She got rather upset, saying the tickets stuck together, so every time she won after that, she had me draw, clearly mad. Now in covid times, I eliminate it all by drawing all the tickets myself, which people are irritated by, but gently caress em. I actually had one dude sneeze, wipe his hand on his pants, then try to reach in the jar before I noped it out of his range.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

This is our week, it seems.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Caught up after a busy week where I ignored the thread, and the last few pages have ruled, outside of the comics I skip, because otherwise I would start throwing knives through my monitor.

Wallace is incredible as always, I love how the breezy lines in these autumn strips perfectly capture the nostalgic idea of a lovely fall.

Crabgrass has so many fun ways of playing with childhood follies, and Miles is a real bro :unsmith:

I'm in a constant state of terror where this current Classic Prince Valiant storyline is going to go, but as always the art is beautiful and the characters very human for what a relatively slow pace it takes.

Thank you for introducing me to Blind Alley, I absolutely adore it and I've even bugged the creator on Twitter to find out what my favorite character's name was (Lula -- the vampire girl)

Uramachi Sakaba rules and I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else talk about it online, just some rad art and fun little stories in an interesting setting.

Chako also whips rear end, I can appreciate the weird-rear end and nightmarish humor even when I don't fully understand it.

I was nervous when Popeye changed hands, but I'm enjoying the casual absurdity and nonchalant action scenes of the current arc.

Curtis is hit or miss but these Sundays are some top-notch cartooning, and I fully appreciate everything about the Monday strip.

As recently discussed, Those Were the Days is pretty lovely sometimes but drat if I'm not hooked if even to just see if the next day is going to be good, or bad, or neutral, or horny, or most of the above.

I always enjoy seeing The Far Side again, I know people are lukewarm on Funny Online Animals but I pretty consistently like it, Mopsy is always great, it's unreal how much character Up Front and Dark Laughter pack into a single panel, Wee Pals and especially Dogbert also kick rear end, '90s Overboard is very charming in that '90s way and I would never have thought to look it up on my own, Mutt and Jeff is just a drat solid source of a super-oldschool chuckle, there's a lot I like that I'm missing but, drat, thanks y'all for posting all of these comics, because I enjoy the hell out of reading them.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

This is too accurate.

Popcom

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

After however long I've been posting this, I feel like it's safe to say old Overboard is definitely better than current Overboard, but still has the same bad habit of driving a small set of jokes/scenarios into the ground. No reason not to keep posting it though.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack aaaaa

Safe Havens

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell in: a truth revealed (January 12-18, 2004)

The plot line this is referring to ran from April 20 to May 1, 1998, and it went basically as per the recap. And, in case you missed it, Fiona had been granted magical fixing powers by the Birdluminati, which she used to fix the Y2K problem by traveling around the world and zapping computers. That was a whole storyline which ran in 1999.

But still. Time for an update!

(Click for big.)

Ayup, Lindesfarne is Actually A Human too. Fun times!

Modern Kevin & Kell

Mikl fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 13, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I really hope I'm not the only one here who's fallen down the K&K rabbit hole thanks to these posts. :ohdear:

I'm now deep into 2006 and I'm still surprised that I'm actually enjoying it. Safe Havens is inscrutable to me and On The Fastrack just seems like it's been going way too long to be something I can map out in my brain, but something about K&K is clicking. It's a hellworld, but at least it's an internally consistent hellworld, and that's better than 90% of long-running webcomics.

Long-running webcomics chat: I still don't know what the gently caress GPF is doing, last time I caught up on the archives like three years ago, Earth was in a pocket dimension and Nick wasn't sure where it was and when I last checked in about a month ago the overarching plot was still at that point except Dwayne was back somehow. Schlock Mercenary ended and Howard's been on hiatus for about a year now, but at least it wrapped up pretty well. Questionable Content I keep up with but instead of Robot Drama now it's V-Tuber Drama and I kinda miss when it was Indie Rock Nerd Drama. I haven't read EGS in probably a decade so god knows where that's at, but I can't imagine it's scrutable at this point. Apparently Tedd is straight up genderfluid now, which makes sense and I can dig it.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

why is every English person in K&K Cockney what the gently caress

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

My Lovely Horse posted:

why is every English person in K&K Cockney what the gently caress

Because the rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain, of course.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Lindesfarne is like one of those anime protagonists where every new arc either introduces some talent she's amazing at or some special unique aspect about her from her backstory.

She's newspaper comic Ichigo Kurosaki.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Kazinsal posted:

Long-running webcomics chat: I still don't know what the gently caress GPF is doing, last time I caught up on the archives like three years ago, Earth was in a pocket dimension and Nick wasn't sure where it was and when I last checked in about a month ago the overarching plot was still at that point except Dwayne was back somehow. Schlock Mercenary ended and Howard's been on hiatus for about a year now, but at least it wrapped up pretty well. Questionable Content I keep up with but instead of Robot Drama now it's V-Tuber Drama and I kinda miss when it was Indie Rock Nerd Drama. I haven't read EGS in probably a decade so god knows where that's at, but I can't imagine it's scrutable at this point. Apparently Tedd is straight up genderfluid now, which makes sense and I can dig it.

Gotta say the ending to schlock mercenary was really disappointing. I didn't like the last storyline at all, so many things hinted at, so many things being built up to and they just never materialized.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

LvK posted:

Uramachi Sakaba rules and I can't believe I haven't seen anyone else talk about it online, just some rad art and fun little stories in an interesting setting.
Glad you like it! Maruoka really is a pretty good storyteller - tropey as it is (or maybe because it's so tropey), he can craft a tight little story in four pages or so. But it's a very minor comic all told, just self-published zines really, and AFAIK I'm the only person who's given a shot at translating it into English.

Speaking of Uramachi Sakaba: a couple days ago someone mentioned Ghost in the Shell:

Chako

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (January 13, 2010)

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 13, 2000)

Garfield Classic (January 13, 1990)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should get big Ick some cowboy boots if they want him to ride properly.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Buni

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/12/01

Brenda Starr 5/22-24/47

Smokey Stover 11/7/43

"Don't give a continental" is another phrase that seems to have fallen out of use.

Selachian fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Oct 13, 2021

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Sep. 21, 1947)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Strontium posted:

No, it's not a HIPAA violation.

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!
Finally, the crossover no one's been waiting for:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Julet Esqu posted:

She appears to have packed a wood log.

Giant Ethicist posted:

Glad you like it! Maruoka really is a pretty good storyteller - tropey as it is (or maybe because it's so tropey), he can craft a tight little story in four pages or so. But it's a very minor comic all told, just self-published zines really, and AFAIK I'm the only person who's given a shot at translating it into English.

Speaking of Uramachi Sakaba: a couple days ago someone mentioned Ghost in the Shell:

Oh, hey Major, Togusa, Aramaki (?)

Green Intern fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 13, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

riderchop posted:

On The Fastrack aaaaa

Nooooooooope, don't you do this poo poo.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Zerilan posted:

Lindesfarne is like one of those anime protagonists where every new arc either introduces some talent she's amazing at or some special unique aspect about her from her backstory.

She's newspaper comic Ichigo Kurosaki.

even her loving name sounds ORIGINAL CHARACTER DO NOT STEAL when I do believe it's a real name. It just sounds like something you name your super cool OC who isn't Goku but ten times stronger and smarter than he is.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Steeple: Clotted Crime Part 2 – Two Backs

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad Site
Steeple Website

John Allison posted:

Why did I call Penrose’s rowboat “Joeystarr”? Because I could. I’m drunk with power.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

"If this prince don't shut the gently caress up"

I love that Hal could've drawn any much faster and easier assortment of 1-3 fairly generic onlookers with simple expressions of discontent but he drafted a lifetime's worth of experience in pure human anxious boredom and irritation and did it with as much of the crew as the panel allowed. :allears:

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Doomykins posted:

"If this prince don't shut the gently caress up"

I love that Hal could've drawn any much faster and easier assortment of 1-3 fairly generic onlookers with simple expressions of discontent but he drafted a lifetime's worth of experience in pure human anxious boredom and irritation and did it with as much of the crew as the panel allowed. :allears:

This makes me wonder if the crew have consistently the same people or if Hal Foster "cheated" and just drew some people whenever they were needed.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Julet Esqu posted:

Is she living in her car?

Strontium posted:

Tinkersons kicks rear end.

F Minus

Mark Trail

So Mark Trail is a veteran now.

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Strontium posted:

Mister Kingdom posted:

No, it's not a HIPAA violation.
Yeah, I know it's part of the joke but a lot of people sincerely think that and it annoys the hell out of me.

The HIPAA privacy rule doesn't apply to your boss/teacher/whoever the gently caress asking if you're really sick, or asking for a doctor's note to prove it. It applies to covered entities(which 99% of the time translates to your healthcare providers and insurance companies).

If someone calls your doctor and gets them to divulge your health info(and you never signed anything allowing them to have info given to them), the HIPAA violation isn't being committed by the caller - it's being committed by your doctor.

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 21, 1947)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (January 13, 2000)

You motherfucker, Arlo.

In today's Blueberry: Blueberry is seriously hazardous to the environment, or The cavalry comes for Blueberry... AGAIN, or Out of the jailcell and into... well, another jailcell

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Mark Trail's dedication to botching the landing is almost admirable. "These 2-3 strips are decent and there's the exploding boat joke narration box again."

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Julet Esqu posted:

Wow, Luann has finally left high school and is starting college! Amazing!

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Ffffuuuuuccckkk yyyyoooouuuuuu :tizzy:

I guess Skelly has now seen at least one 'Dustin clearly has depression or something' take and wouldn't stand for the LAZY MILLENNIAL being stuck up for by anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011