Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

How does 3 pilots for one ship work- one person controls movement on each axis? Presumably there is enough to do that these are intended to be human players, simultaneously not so complex that AI can't do a competent job of it?

One pilot drinks wine while barking orders to the actual pilot. The third pilot cleans the toilets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

do any of the star citizen ships have a battle bridge

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020

Sankis posted:

890 Jump does

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sankis posted:

There is one with a holographic battlefield room where you can order the AI ships around like in a RTS game. It's coming out any day now.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Beluga Snail posted:

Oh man I've been after the source for that layering quote for years...if anyone in the thread has it I'd be so grateful that you can all come join my shard when the game launches and mop the floors of my pocket carrier.

Happy to dig some more but the best I can find at the moment:

10 For the Chairman - Episode 44
Question: "What, in your words, has been the hardest part of making your vision of the game a reality?"
Chris: '[...] The hard part creatively is infusing my feeling/idea/vision of the game across a large team. Since we've been backed to a level that we weren't expecting originally, we've been able to do a lot more of what I'd imagined might happen down the track sooner [...]'

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Remember folks- R&D happens after you've already started building the thing.

Have they really started though? They've mashed some Crytek engine built in physics together to make a rough proof of concept. The actual development is yet to start and will take a few more decades.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Trillhouse posted:

i get a perverse enjoyment out of reading all the rhetorical tricks and passive voice CIG uses when describing something they're working on. talking out of both sides of his mouth. "i'm not promising anything but i'm also NOT not promising anything."

haha, also "what i said yesterday i did in fact NOT say".
its really helpful to have a fanbase that cheerishes these tactics like in a good ol abusive relationship.
consodering this new multiple shard approach i think a buzzword is missing, hopefully they will deliver that asap.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Aerox posted:

No, you see, Star Citizen is going to be so popular that every shard is going to have a million people on it.

They're PLAYER DENSE.

... with dense players.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

trucutru posted:

There is one with a holographic battlefield room where you can order the AI ships around like in a RTS game. It's coming out any day now.

that was really esrly days right when chris said there will be command ships who will give orders to their fleet.
everyone imagined some homeworld-like strategy layer on top of the action.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
My favourite quote is from Erin Roberts, remember him?

quote:

So with the next big release a lot of the underlying game is there and then we can look at transferring people between servers so we can have hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance, but that doesn’t come online until later.

A statement obviously designed to have the faithful let their imaginations and wallets run wild.

This was February 2017. https://wccftech.com/star-citizen-exclusive-interview-erin-roberts/

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Star Citizen was meant to have thousands of players interacting with each other in real time through server meshing. Star Citizen was always meant to have 50 player instances or shards with players not interacting with each other.

Also this awkward thing:
:reddit: Tony Z talks as fast as he does because he perceives time at half the rate we do

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Oct 13, 2021

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Bumble He posted:

that was really esrly days right when chris said there will be command ships who will give orders to their fleet.
everyone imagined some homeworld-like strategy layer on top of the action.

And if you had multiple accounts you could control your non-active accounts as NPCs!

I bet that made them money to have Chris Roberts's 'not' wife Sandi Gardiner, to have time to play with real Hollywood actors while Chris Roberts pretends to be a director.

It's totally in the patch after next though I promise*

*No more promise's, so this promise does not count. I absolve myself of all of them. I AM CHRIS ROBERTS!!!!!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

IAbsolveMyself posted:

890 Jump does

Stimperial flagship is... a yacht? Also I have no idea if you're just joking, because it is exactly a thing CIG would do

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Bumble He posted:

haha, also "what i said yesterday i did in fact NOT say".
its really helpful to have a fanbase that cheerishes these tactics like in a good ol abusive relationship.
consodering this new multiple shard approach i think a buzzword is missing, hopefully they will deliver that asap.

Gaslight Citizen

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Dooguk posted:

My favourite quote is from Erin Roberts, remember him?

A statement obviously designed to have the faithful let their imaginations and wallets run wild.

This was February 2017. https://wccftech.com/star-citizen-exclusive-interview-erin-roberts/

The word 'maybe' in that quote is doing more work than all of CIG..

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

commando in tophat posted:

Stimperial flagship is... a yacht? Also I have no idea if you're just joking, because it is exactly a thing CIG would do
yacht battle bridge was not a joke!

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/oECsxcQ.mp4

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
So does the "lose items on death" extend to ships or just personal things?
Also couldn't you use it to clone items indefinately with one guy just hoovering up the items and the second guy reseting his account over and over?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kikas posted:

So does the "lose items on death" extend to ships or just personal things?
Also couldn't you use it to clone items indefinately with one guy just hoovering up the items and the second guy reseting his account over and over?

Yes to everything but also no to everything.

Two players with LTI can alternate salvaging each othes' chariots for infinite resources anyways. No need to kill each other.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Star Citizen was meant to have thousands of players interacting with each other in real time through server meshing. Star Citizen was always meant to have 50 player instances or shards with players not interacting with each other.

Also this awkward thing:
:reddit: Tony Z talks as fast as he does because he perceives time at half the rate we do

I saw the Tony Z talks fast meme several times in the Twitch chat during citizencon. I don’t get it, he doesn’t talk that fast at all. And everything he says is just lots of meaningless words and phrases. Shouldn’t we otherwise have seen the quanta simulation by now?

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Star posted:

Shouldn’t we otherwise have seen the quanta simulation by now?

Yes but also no. Welcome to Star Citizen, where all possibilities exist all the time.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Also am I reading the patchnotes right, they added Pokemon Centers to all the stations?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
My battleship is invincible, not through any combination of weapons or armour, but because my crew is so large there no room for any opposition in my shard

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Star posted:

I saw the Tony Z talks fast meme several times in the Twitch chat during citizencon. I don’t get it, he doesn’t talk that fast at all. And everything he says is just lots of meaningless words and phrases. Shouldn’t we otherwise have seen the quanta simulation by now?
If they're unwilling to admit he's talking nonsense and bullshitting them, they might invent stuff like "he's so smart that we cannot catch up with his thoughts". But Tony Z is not working on quanta simulation, he's only simulating work on quanta.

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Virtual Captain posted:

He already got the memo to walk that multishard talk back :mmmhmm:

https://twitter.com/DrChadMcKinney/status/1448042584408936449

It's extremely clear that CIG have never had anyone with any expertise or experience think about their network architecture. Not ever. Of all the mind bogglingly stupid poo poo that we've witnessed on this project so far, this is, for me, the worst.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Virtual Captain posted:

He already got the memo to walk that multishard talk back :mmmhmm:

https://twitter.com/DrChadMcKinney/status/1448042584408936449

I never said there won't be a single global shard. But I am saying that we don't have a loving clue how to do that. We'll just keep repeating the phrase "R&D" until it works.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bronze Fonz posted:

So... basically they'll need a couple of years to figure out something that replaces the server meshing they always promised and that they allegedly were "working on" for years.

With the low player counts they wont need more than a couple of shards for the initial release(if ever), then everyone left can go on one shard without(cryengine) issue.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
Chad's major accomplishments:

Wrote some music for hellgate London when he was like a teen or something
Did some UI work on the console release for ESO
Did some mobile games
Worked for Zynga for 3 months
Started as a gameplay engineer on Star Citizen right after, his first job as a gameplay engineer

Is now senior lead gameplay engineer lol

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
Don't shard your jords bro

Blackstone
Feb 13, 2012

TheAgent posted:

Chad's major accomplishments:

Wrote some music for hellgate London when he was like a teen or something
Did some UI work on the console release for ESO
Did some mobile games
Worked for Zynga for 3 months
Started as a gameplay engineer on Star Citizen right after, his first job as a gameplay engineer

Is now senior lead gameplay engineer lol

anybody with an academic degree in their twitter name is a pompous baboon

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Dwesa posted:

But Tony Z is not working on quanta simulation, he's only simulating work on quanta.

Simception

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Blackstone posted:

anybody with an academic degree in their twitter name is a pompous baboon

He’s a doctor of philosophy lol

marumaru
May 20, 2013

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Dr. Honked posted:

It's extremely clear that CIG have never had anyone with any expertise or experience think about their network architecture. Not ever. Of all the mind bogglingly stupid poo poo that we've witnessed on this project so far, this is, for me, the worst.

wdym we need network engineers, we just need artists to make the pretty things and game devs to put the play into them, that's how multi-million dollar software projects work.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Star posted:

50% of his output is saying "ya'know", you know.
where is the quanta uninverse simulation? well it might already be online ya'know, but maybe it's not yet online ya'know. it depends if the fans are asking for it or forgetting about it.
if the fans praise it, then its already online.
if they ask when it will be implemented, then it will be tier-zero.
and so on.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

I mean clearly he meant, "after hundreds of years of development and I am safely dead in a solid gold coffin", you have to understand game development to get that

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
quanta is the least tangible thing to come up with and can be verbalized as the most ground breaking tech in existence

I mean to me who is anything but a tech engineer sees this as a simple Excel spreadsheet with randomizing variables plugged into the economy port

it makes me giggle tho thinking that Tony z has conned the conman into a pivotal role in the company in a brass position but ultimately his skill set is equivalent to that of an accountant

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Has Chris Roberts ever played an MMO or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone whose never touched an MMO would look at the concept of shards/servers and be like "That's stupid, they should just put all the players together" without ever considering that there might be technical reasons that MMOs do that.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Dr. Honked posted:

these people could habe been there once, but maybe they all left? chris said that he does not like people who say things cannot be done.

make that rock hover!
it cannot be done master! But we could make a prop out of plastic with a magnet inside and let it hover!
how can you propose such a travesty? begone! out of my sight and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

nawledgelambo posted:

quanta is the least tangible thing to come up with and can be verbalized as the most ground breaking tech in existence

I mean to me who is anything but a tech engineer sees this as a simple Excel spreadsheet with randomizing variables plugged into the economy port

it makes me giggle tho thinking that Tony z has conned the conman into a pivotal role in the company in a brass position but ultimately his skill set is equivalent to that of an accountant

its perfect for the project when you think about it

chris has done nothing but bullshit his way through the entire thing and earn millions

and then tony comes in one day while chris is on a double dose of vitamins, and suddenly his long rambling speech about npc's is seen as the next great thing

now tony just has to keep rambling through it all , throwing in new buzz words every other sentence and chris is completely enthralled