Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Casimir Radon posted:

Heh heh heh, they were scared I’d whistle into the phone and launch missiles, heh heh heh.

considering the security the missiles had it might have worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mitnick made a real clumsy pickup attempt on one of my friends when he was about twice her age, so lmao at him forever for that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, one less :smuggo: "OG black hat hacker" on Twitter, the better.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Mitnick’s company bid on my organization’s security training and it was clear they didn’t understand the proposal (personal security vs infosec or whatever) as the material they sent us was full of references to Mitnick’s name, social engineering, Kevin Mitnick, this company founded by Kevin Mitnick and also some more Kevin Mitnick for good measure.

we also got our mandatory IT security training through said grift factory and dear god it is some insufferable bullshit. nothing like forced playback LMS software making you sit through hours of slowly-narrated video padding out its content by covering phishing five times over with the only difference being the vector. who the gently caress cares if it comes in over email or SMS or whatever.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
The former USAF chud turned insurrectionist that got shot in the Capitol had a very distinguished career.

https://twitter.com/JohnnySchmals/status/1447427774470316032?t=GxY00Lbd3ewMIx6NILmNMQ&s=19

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
12 years and an E-4

Remarkable. She failed at failing upwards.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Speaking of,

“A man at the Ashli Babbitt birthday event shows his “patent pending and copywrited” Ashlii Angel puppet, that flies on a 15’ pole and waives arms, Trump hat and American flag.”

Here’s the link to the video. I half expect that McNally would probe me if I inlined the tweet. It’s not :nws:; it’s just disgusting.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
"His name was Robert Paulsen." :shepface:

I'm also reminded of the "Nathan Holn" martyr figure from The Postman. Boy, that's a movie I thought I'd never give another thought prior to 1/6/21. Given how shameless he was in pimping his oil cleaning "machine" after the Deepwater Horizon fiasco, it's a wonder why Kevin Costner hasn't been trying to gin up new interest for poo poo like The Postman and Waterworld.

"I was at the Battle of Georgetown, I saw the White House burned to the ground!"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Just call me Ford Lincoln Mercury

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

Also when she randomly came across her husband's ex on the road she chased her down and rammed her car multiple times.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

"His name was Robert Paulsen." :shepface:

“His name was Robert Failson”

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled
I should be writing a personal strategy for a job application, so instead I will write something else..

This happened in the late 90s, while I was serving my national service (i.e. conscription) in the Finnish Defence Forces. The conscription can be faulted on many things, but it does have some positive aspects - one of them was that it is one of the only places where one gets a true view of the whole (male) population. In current parlance - it was definitely a way to see outside of your own bubble. Even though there was some lip service given to put conscripts to battalions best suited for their personal abilities in reality it was more or less random what you ended up with. Sometimes it was what you wanted, sometimes not. So normal army stuff.

I had somewhat bad luck and I ended in the Military Police company. Which was nice for the location (garrison was close to my parents home. I could have ended 800 km farther), but bad in many other issues (well, military police and longer conscription time). Anyhow the company also had additional tasks of urban warfare training and being the “honor guard” for the President of the Republic. Unlike many other countries, these ceremonial duties are in Finland just given to bunch of basic yahoos with couple of days of training to properly show arms. Well, it is an army of and for the People, so it kind of makes sense.

So to the idiots part. There were no shortage of them (see random selection above), but most were quite normal people, and some were actually smart. Normal distribution and all.

The guy this story - lets call him Sam - is about was not the idiot in the intelligence point of view. He was just a person… who always somehow just happened to be around when things go wrong. Unlucky one could say, but I think he’s main failing in the army was that he was .. eager. You know the type: Teachers pet, wants to make superiors happy, the guy trying to raise company stats on some idiotic rule quiz by studying until lights out is called. Always just doing his best.

I just want to say he was not a bad guy. I liked him. I just did not want to be close to him - especially when there was any chance of using weapons. I can not say which one of the incidents below happened first, but both of them happened, and I was a witness.

One of the company training goals was Urban Warfare as mentioned above. So this means a lot of training in a “city” build of basically old huts in the shooting range. As in the 90s the FDF was short in cash (as it always is), the main targets to use were just balloons. Usually there was some sort of rope system or similar, and the officers/NCOs could just pull a rope and the balloons showed up behind some cover when you entered the room. The rules were simple: SHOOT ONLY DOWNRANGE. Due to how they were constructed, the guiding officer/NCO usually walked just behind the troop(s) doing the training and marked points on accuracy, technique (own cover) and speed. Normal stuff.

Well, it was Sam’s turn. He did excellent as usual, but was really stressed even before the course. He wanted to succeed and to show his unit leader how good he was. About half-way the course there was… and incident. I did not see exactly what happened (I was waiting my turn in the back), but I saw what resulted. One of the officers (first day at work after officer school btw!), was outside of the hut where Sam was, behind a (wood) wall, about 45 degrees behind him. He was in that position so he could reach the rope to pull up the next batch of balloons for the guy. Suddenly he just .. dropped down and started to hold his leg. I was far enough not to see any details, but it did not look good. Sudden yells of STOP! Started to hear, followed by “MEDIC”, “MEDIC”.

So what happened? I heard this directly from him later. Sam had just finished the previous room, and moved to the next one (with an NCO trailing him). Suddenly he saw on the corner of his eye a balloon on his left. One from the previous room perhaps? Anyhow, he, eagerly wanting to succeed in front of others, somehow immediately forgot the only one rule we had. Perhaps he was somehow confused of directions or something. Anyhow he decided to pop that balloon, and he did. He also shot thought the wooden wall straight to the leg of the officer behind it. Later I heard (unreliable source in Army, I know) that it just missed the femur and femoral vein, which I believe would have been bad. Well, this was not good either. The conscript medics looked very pale when actually first time had to do something like that, but luckily (permanent staff) NCO nearby took command and get the things running. Ambulance was also nearby (as always in the shooting days), and the officer went for at least several months of recuperation. Nice first day.

Not sure of all armies, but FDF usually frowns on shooting own officers. Still on the same day, a minibus with very darkened windows showed up, and some very stern looking guys from Investigative Branch took him away. Interestingly after a while he was returned to unit, and the thing was just marked as accident. Also this being the 90s, I don’t think there was any psychological services offered to anyone. Well, army is about shooting people, but perhaps Sam would have liked to talk about it? Anyhow, things went as they go.

A couple of months later, there was a major foreign visitor visiting the President. Could have been the king of Sweden, or someone else. Doesn’t matter. What matters is that every bloody guy in the Company was needed and everyone practiced like hell the marching things and most importantly, showing of the arms (or whatever it is called? The thing where the rifle is bought in front). Part of the routine.

What is interesting, is that this was one of the only situations we were actually ordered to fix bayonets. Perhaps M95 assault rifles do not look nice enough without one, tradition, who knows? For safety reasons, during the practice everyone had a sheath on them though (this comes important later). I understand the point, bayonets are pointy, and hitting the guy in front in the head during practice is also frowned upon. Especially as we used some sort of plastic ceremonial helmets, which offered no protection from anything heavier than rain. Army does not like when conscripts kill other conscripts.

Anyhow, after a while of training the presentation of arms, a break was called. Sam being Sam, he stayed on the field, and kept on practicing. He wanted to be good at it. Unfortunately one practice attempt he accidentally slipped the rifle when slinging it to front. You are supposed to receive the rifle with your left hand (using the front handguard), but as his movement was slipped, rifle went about 15cm lower than it should. So instead of hand guard, he grapped the rifle from the sheath of the bayonet. I was good that there was the sheath, as he could have perhaps hurt his hand a little. These bayonets were not very sharp from the sides though, so perhaps he would have only needed a band aid or something.

However, what happened was witnessed by me around 20 meters away: He was holding the rifle in his left arm from the bayonet sheath, rifle vertically, with his right hand holding the sling loosely. The rifle (even unloaded*) was heavy enough that it immediately slipped from the sheath, falling straight down to ground. As in slow motion film, I could see the rifle hitting the ground on its butt plate, and slowly starting to fall backwards towards Sam. At the same time, he noticed that something was wrong, and started (in his typical way) to correct the situation too enthusiastically. I.e. he immediately started to bow forward to stop the rifle from falling over. What he actually was doing was to commit a very weird form of seppuku, with the bayonet sinking straight into his belly, as the rifle butt was resting on the ground. It is surprising how far he actually managed to bow before realising what was happening. Not many people manage to stab themselves with their own bayonet still attached to their own rifle.

Well, there was an ambulance again. This time for him.

Unfortunately FDF has also a rule that besides hurting officers and your fellow conscripts, you are also not supposed to hurt yourself. That could be a crime. The same dudes from the Investigative Branch interviewed him again when he was (about a month later - so I guess it was not SO deep wound) back to unit. No real consequences, so I guess my testimony of his accident was of some use?

In the end of the service, Sam was promoted to Corporal (in FDF that is actual promotion, not automatic thing). We were a little surprised by this, but then - he was eager. And perhaps most importantly for a peace-time army : he had actual experience on shooting someone, and getting wounded as well!

*) Perhaps they did not want someone getting some too republican ideas to help our neighbours

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Letmebefrank posted:

In the end of the service, Sam was promoted to Corporal (in FDF that is actual promotion, not automatic thing). We were a little surprised by this, but then - he was eager. And perhaps most importantly for a peace-time army : he had actual experience on shooting someone, and getting wounded as well!
:laffo:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Someone typically gets poked by a bayonet every year at division review at Bragg.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

bulletsponge13 posted:

Someone typically gets poked by a bayonet every year at division review at Bragg.

Truth. Back in 1987 that was done by one of my squadmates to the 1/325's CSM

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Truth. Back in 1987 that was done by one of my squadmates to the 1/325's CSM
Happened to him while he was asleep in bed too, very strange.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Casimir Radon posted:

Happened to him while he was asleep in bed too, very strange.

:hmmyes:

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Thank you for the Suomi Seppuku Story

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I was expecting him to have somehow pilfered a bullet and accidentally pop one into the air while loving around, but drat. The truth was so much better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sam’s Seppuku Saga

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Letmebefrank posted:

I can not say which one of the incidents below happened first, but both of them happened, and I was a witness.

It's extra funny if it happened in the order you wrote it.

"We need everyone helping out for the big Presidential visit!"

"Even the guy who shot a dude? You want him there too?"

"The boss said everyone, so we're using everyone!"

I remember when Obama came to give a speech in Pensacola while I was in flight school, they explicitly told everyone that if you weren't a designated audience member, just stay away from base that day. The security hassle just wasn't worth it.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
i briefly worked at a small liberal arts college when the king of sweden came to visit (on account of said college being associated with the church of sweden)

very weird having the secret service, an assortment of diplomats, and whatever the swedish equivalent of the secret service is descend on a 20k pop town in southern minnesota for a day

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Wingnut Ninja posted:

"We need everyone helping out for the big Presidential visit!"

"The boss said everyone, so we're using everyone!"

When I was at Texas A&M, Bush was re-inaugurated, and the band flew out to DC to march in the parade.

I forgot my French horn in my hotel room just before loading up on the buses, so I basically played an air flute.

I was diagnosed with ADHD at 35.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

i briefly worked at a small liberal arts college when the king of sweden came to visit (on account of said college being associated with the church of sweden)

very weird having the secret service, an assortment of diplomats, and whatever the swedish equivalent of the secret service is descend on a 20k pop town in southern minnesota for a day

My dad was a professional photographer before he retired, and in what I think might have been the early 90's or thereabouts was tasked to photograph the king of Sweden (assuming we're talking about the same one here, XVI Gustaf) during some sort of ceremony at his enormous swanky fortress-mansion in the middle of Stockholm. My dad later described the king as looking "very hung over".

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Nuclear Tourist posted:

My dad was a professional photographer before he retired, and in what I think might have been the early 90's or thereabouts was tasked to photograph the king of Sweden (assuming we're talking about the same one here, XVI Gustaf) during some sort of ceremony at his enormous swanky fortress-mansion in the middle of Stockholm. My dad later described the king as looking "very hung over".

idk about this but he is quite majestic

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Same thing, but Augustana College.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

The only things monarchs are good for is looking ridiculous for our amusement

Churchill
Nov 27, 2007
Winston

Nuclear Tourist posted:

He probably was, at the time (and to a certain extent still has) he had a bit of a reputation as a party-boy and womaniser who never took his role as monarch seriously enough. And not that it matters but the XVI refers to Karl, not Gustaf, and would generally be written as Karl XVI Gustaf where the numbering isn't accurate either as the first six were entirely fictitious.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Churchill posted:

He probably was, at the time (and to a certain extent still has) he had a bit of a reputation as a party-boy and womaniser who never took his role as monarch seriously enough. And not that it matters but the XVI refers to Karl, not Gustaf, and would generally be written as Karl XVI Gustaf where the numbering isn't accurate either as the first six were entirely fictitious.

His name is Karl Gustav? Like the recoilless rifle? lmao

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Icon Of Sin posted:

Why did you think the swedish recoilless rifle was named what it was? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustafs_Stads_Gev%C3%A4rsfaktori

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I like that they look like a sitcom couple.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

This is maybe the most relatable monarch I've ever seen.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

St. Peter?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Icon Of Sin posted:

They named the tenth Karl Gustav “Karl Gustav XVI”

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

St. Olaf

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

BUG JUG posted:

St. Olaf

Was Rose Nylund there?

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Thomamelas posted:

Was Rose Nylund there?

When isn't she?

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

The woman in front covering her ears really ties the whole thing together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Yeah yeah
Yeah yeah