Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

90s Cringe Rock posted:

HWFWM started out incredibly strong but once you find yourself tiring of it, consider stopping.

Still love the "is the other world you were transported from *this village?*" line.

Noted. But so far so good, as just after that line he starts talking about frying halved hardboiled eggs, something which I have never heard of before but sounded delicious. I stopped reading to make some, and they were!
https://www.thaitable.com/thai/recipe/son-in-law-eggs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I never got tired of HWFWM, currently waiting for the next one to release, on the 7th.

I've also been enjoying Defiance of the fall, it's another LitRPG/Cultivation series, but it's also well-written (although having characters just say "cough" when they cough is awful, it only happens a few times):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defiance-Fall-LitRPG-Adventure-TheFirstDefier-ebook/dp/B09168R29M/
Partly I enjoy the protag having a very simple yet interesting class, he's basically a combat lumberjack who may one day be able to Chop reality in twain.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
FWIW, both HWFWM and DotF are Web-novels that are being republished slowly through Kindle Unlimited - there are multiple books’ worth of chapters of each, beyond what is currently published, available for free on RoyalRoad.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Thanks, I should take a look, but so far there's been enough on Kindle Unlimited that I've been too lazy to continue series' on different platforms. That said, while the next HWFWM is out in a few days the next DotF is in November, so I might have to change that.

E: Taking a look, it seems the chapters from books on kindle, or soon on kindle, have been removed. With HWFWM, aside from some early chapters I can only start at Chapter 267, which seems to be set after the upcoming third book.
E2: DotF lets me start right after the Kindle content though!

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 2, 2021

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Does anybody know what the new KU library size limit is? I noticed I no longer have to swap a book out every time, and have 16 checked out when the limit used to be 10.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

I've also been enjoying Defiance of the fall, it's another LitRPG/Cultivation series, but it's also well-written (although having characters just say "cough" when they cough is awful, it only happens a few times):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Defiance-Fall-LitRPG-Adventure-TheFirstDefier-ebook/dp/B09168R29M/
Partly I enjoy the protag having a very simple yet interesting class, he's basically a combat lumberjack who may one day be able to Chop reality in twain.

Reading it right now. The writing is terrible at a technical level: repetitive phrases, really dumb nomenclature even by the standard of the genre, and more.
That said, the ideas, world building scenarios and “story” are captivating enough, if a tad video-game-y even by genre standard. Every time I’m sufficiently put off by the prose, I find myself returning to it to find out what happens next.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
The Defiance of the Fall Webnovel currently has free chapters up to 689 as of today on RoyalRoad. The currently published books cover ~ the first 200 chapters, so another almost 5 books worth has already been written and published. I haven’t read the KU versions yet so I dunno what sort of editing has been done, but if you like the story and want to find some more there is plenty to be found.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm reading Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell and really enjoying it, a cozy space trader series. I am always enamored with futuristic sci-fi that isn't remotely military.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Silynt posted:

The Defiance of the Fall Webnovel currently has free chapters up to 689 as of today on RoyalRoad. The currently published books cover ~ the first 200 chapters, so another almost 5 books worth has already been written and published. I haven’t read the KU versions yet so I dunno what sort of editing has been done, but if you like the story and want to find some more there is plenty to be found.

I'm now reading it, and yeah, there must have been an editing pass for the Kindle version as the web stuff is a step down in technical quality. The story remains very enjoyable though!

But having to scroll instead of tapping to turn pages is killing my thumb :ohdear:

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

I'm reading Quarter Share by Nathan Lowell and really enjoying it, a cozy space trader series. I am always enamored with futuristic sci-fi that isn't remotely military.

I read/listened to this series like a decade ago, it’s really good. It was a podcast series or something back in the day. Definitely better than most things on KU.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Promoting an author I like a fair bit who has a book on Kindle Unlimited: Rhys Hughes, and his book "Crepuscularks and Phantomimes: Gothic, Ghostly & Lovecraftian Tales in the Ironic Mode"
https://www.amazon.ca/Crepuscularks-Phantomimes-Gothic-Ghostly-Lovecraftian-ebook/dp/B086JDQM38/

Or for a dollar on the US store: https://www.amazon.com/Crepuscularks-Phantomimes-Gothic-Ghostly-Lovecraftian-ebook/dp/B086JDQM38/

As you can see this particular book hasn't received much attention on Amazon. But Rhys is well regarded inside author circles. Praise from some authors you've probably heard of:

"It’s a crime that Rhys Hughes is not as widely known as Italo Calvino and other writers of that stature. Brilliantly written and conceived, Hughes’ fiction has few parallels anywhere in the world. In some alternate universe with a better sense of justice, his work triumphantly parades across all bestseller lists." -Jeff VanderMeer

"Rhys Hughes seems almost the sum of our planet's literature." -Michael Moorcock

Not to oversell him too much, Hughes work will probably come off to most as either entertaining or insufferable depending on your tastes. But I find his short stories fairly addictive.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Sep 6, 2021

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

A Calvino comparison? In the trash fiction thread?

Well you've set my expectations sky-high.

roffles
Dec 25, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

Does anybody know what the new KU library size limit is? I noticed I no longer have to swap a book out every time, and have 16 checked out when the limit used to be 10.

Btw I noticed this too while binging all of will wights non-cradle stuff and just recently got a notification that the new limit is 20 so I guess they might have been testing it on people for a while….

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Apparently the first 3 Malazan novels are on KU now. I liked at least one of those, the one with the Chain of Dogs. Can hardly remember anything about the other two but they’re some peoples favorite fantasy series.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I just finished book 12 (!) of The Good Guys and in my opinion it was the most enjoyable volume in that series that I can remember. I also have a feeling that Bad Guys and Good Guys will have a much more direct crossover within the next 1 or 2 books which should be neat to see where Ugland takes it. It seems like taking Montana from Coggeshall makes the series a lot more fun and the next one will be doing so again.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

Victorkm posted:

I just finished book 12 (!) of The Good Guys and in my opinion it was the most enjoyable volume in that series that I can remember. I also have a feeling that Bad Guys and Good Guys will have a much more direct crossover within the next 1 or 2 books which should be neat to see where Ugland takes it. It seems like taking Montana from Coggeshall makes the series a lot more fun and the next one will be doing so again.

Just to stress: I really, really enjoy Ugland. Whether it’s the Good Guys, Bad Guys, or Roseland - probably the most consistently enjoyable read with periodic new books I can think off

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

morothar posted:

Just to stress: I really, really enjoy Ugland. Whether it’s the Good Guys, Bad Guys, or Roseland - probably the most consistently enjoyable read with periodic new books I can think off

Latest bad guys was pretty neat too but not nearly as wide-reaching as Wild Wild Quest aside from the very start. Looks like the next Bad Guys will be in December and next good guys in March. Bad Guys 9 probably won't intersect with Good Guys due to where it is headed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I’m trying ugland’s last first time or whatever it’s called.

I’m really really trying. The main guy being wanted by 8 different mobs and the fbi for being a super jujitsu weapons expert megahacker is grating but I trust you nerds.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I'm kind of shocked that no one is talking about Will Wight releasing Reaper in all formats early November. The news has been out for 2 weeks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Iteration110Cradle/comments/phwp2z/reaper_coming_11221_in_all_formats/

Preorders open in the third week of October.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
It was a weirdly low-key announcement, I didn’t see it on any official channels except for that Reddit post from Will’s brother until an offhand mention in a blog post yesterday.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I'm definitely stoked.

As an aside, anyone who likes Cradle might want to check out Scissor Seven on Netflix. It's not exactly cultivation, but it's definitely got that Chinese Wuxia/martial flavor, pretty decent animation, and lots of humor. Also anime-level sexism, which is unfortunate, but it's no worse than, say, My Hero Academia imo.

I've been watching the dub, which seems fine; the lead is actually Ronny Chieng from the Daily Show. And season 3 comes out next month!

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I read all the DotF web stuff, now I need to wait for more :(

I also read the 3rd HWFWM, and it was weird. Most of the book was fine, but the epilogue stuff was borderline incoherent. I'll try the web chapters next, but I hope whatever is going on in the epilogue stops and never returns.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Darkrenown posted:

I also read the 3rd HWFWM, and it was weird. Most of the book was fine, but the epilogue stuff was borderline incoherent. I'll try the web chapters next, but I hope whatever is going on in the epilogue stops and never returns.

I read it on royal road and it's not easy to tell at a casual glance what book 3 covered, but once it started going downhill I pushed on for a while and it kept getting worse so I stopped.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Darkrenown posted:

If you want to really join us on the dark side, you can support his Patreon for $10 a month for another 50 chapters ahead, but then you’re hooked because of you want to drop the subscription it’s like 2 months until you catch up.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

M. Night Skymall posted:

I read it on royal road and it's not easy to tell at a casual glance what book 3 covered, but once it started going downhill I pushed on for a while and it kept getting worse so I stopped.

Book 3 is mostly preparing for and then dealing with the builder cult within the reaper realm, I didn't think it was as good as the first 2 since it was mostly just grinding XP, but it was fine. The terrible epilogue was after Jason dies and there's a lot of weird time skipping in the events afterwards, some terrible stuff set back on Earth, and some very very bad and boring metaplot where the great astral beings have a meeting and some priests of the world phoenix do... something. I'm taking a break to read The Wisdom of Crowds and then I'll try reading the web content, but it'll have to pick up soon or I'll drop it.

Silynt posted:

If you want to really join us on the dark side, you can support his Patreon for $10 a month for another 50 chapters ahead, but then you’re hooked because of you want to drop the subscription it’s like 2 months until you catch up.

I'm tempted as I enjoyed the entire thing, but I was worried about exactly that hook. I'll probably just read other stuff while it builds up again and check in every month or so. I'll donate some $$ though, it was very much worth it.

Next up, System Apocalypse!

asur
Dec 28, 2012
If you though HWFWM went downhill in book 3 then you should not continue reading because it only gets worse for quite a while. It's semi-recovering in what I assume is going to be book 5 but only back to the level of book 3.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Leng posted:

I'm kind of shocked that no one is talking about Will Wight releasing Reaper in all formats early November. The news has been out for 2 weeks:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Iteration110Cradle/comments/phwp2z/reaper_coming_11221_in_all_formats/

Preorders open in the third week of October.

There’s a chapter excerpt floating about too from an audiobook reading.

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Book 3 is mostly preparing for and then dealing with the builder cult within the reaper realm, I didn't think it was as good as the first 2 since it was mostly just grinding XP, but it was fine. The terrible epilogue was after Jason dies and there's a lot of weird time skipping in the events afterwards, some terrible stuff set back on Earth, and some very very bad and boring metaplot where the great astral beings have a meeting and some priests of the world phoenix do... something. I'm taking a break to read The Wisdom of Crowds and then I'll try reading the web content, but it'll have to pick up soon or I'll drop it.

that's the exact point I dropped it when it was being released as web content. it was just so tedious.

i've been reading the frith chronicles recently. the amount of times that the author has someone smirking or quipping in these books is insane. in the latest book there is 40 uses of the work smirk and 18 of quip. it's so grating

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darkrenown posted:

I'm tempted as I enjoyed the entire thing, but I was worried about exactly that hook. I'll probably just read other stuff while it builds up again and check in every month or so. I'll donate some $$ though, it was very much worth it.

Next up, System Apocalypse!

Yeah I just couldn't give a poo poo about the earth stuff tbh. Nobody really had any interesting powers or anything to keep me slightly interesting, and the plot itself was boring. Wow, you mean some weirdos from Japan immediately used powers to make themselves swordmasters? That's never been done, so interesting. Where were the drat people with like, Internet confluence?!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I dunno. Showing off in front of the normies was kinda fun. But the second half of the Earth arc dragged, same as the final act of them trying to stop the Builder cult in that pocket dimension.

Unfortunately, I think this entire current arc is going to be in that mode. I wish this remained a slice-of-life travelogue.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Is book 3 (HWhWaWiM) in audio form yet? I've liked listening to the first 2 books when I go out on walks.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Is book 3 (HWhWaWiM) in audio form yet? I've liked listening to the first 2 books when I go out on walks.

Maybe you found it already, but yeah, it's out. What's with Audible's prices though, is it normal for books to cost £55? I know there's a subscription model as well, but jeez.
https://www.audible.co.uk/series/He...cB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I ending up reading all the web content (unless there's paywalled stuff) and I can say none of it was was bad as the book 3 epilogue. The earth story dragged a lot, which was weirdly fitting because Jason was also frustrated and bored with it. It felt like maybe the writer felt the same because of the repeat of the dimensional landgrab where Jason kills all of his enemies so he can leave at last and abandonment of the leveling via vampire juice plan. I was kind of surprised North turned out to have been actually trying to help the whole time, and despite him killing millions I expected Jason to let him go. I'm also surprised Jason didn't load up on Gun essence or other Earth-specific stuff to either sell, or give to people he meets, in magicworld where they would have been in high demand. Still, it was decent, I don't regret reading it, and the post-Earth story picked up a bit more.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Gonna go ahead and throw up a pre-emptive recommend for two new LitRPG novels that have popped up recently - Shadeslinger and Black Sand Baron, books 1 and 2 of The Ripple System by Kyle Kirrin and Portal Books. Its not as deep or meaningful as something like Dungeon Crawler Carl but its almost as fun to read if you ask me. Like many many LitRPG series the story starts with a new VRMMO about to open. Ned manages to enter the game alone in the head start period, and as revenge for the financial stunt that enabled this the CEO of the company saddles him with The Axe of Unbridled Knowledge which he promises will give him a large advantage but will drop on death and be known to the entire player base to make Ned the most hated player, hunted by all. The Axe is a house for an AI which has access to all the data of the game but is level limited on what it can reveal to Ned, and is very vocal and the second main character of the series.

I'm about 2/3 of the way through the second book so far and I am loving them. High recommend.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Just finished book 2 and holy poo poo what an ending. Really really fun to read.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
yeah its the best of the "everyones playing a game and they know it" books that i've found, i enjoyed it quite a lot. There's personal growth, the conflicts all make sense and tie into the characterization, theres fairly interesting mechanics, there's a decent balance of stats and interesting stuff...its pretty good! I like books where the protagonist is OP relative to everyone else but an underdog given the scale of what they're up against, and it hits that button nicely.
The ubiquitous sassy companion is annoying as poo poo (as always) but its tolerable.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
I'm in the midst of market research because I decided I would try my hand at writing a progression fantasy, seeing how there's a rabid fan base desperate for more books like Cradle.

I liked Mage Errant, but it is definitely not up to Cradle standards in terms of the actual writing, though I do love the world building and plotting.

Anyway I decided to try Arcane Ascension next, because that gets mentioned all the time as similar to Cradle. So I just finished the sample chapter of Sufficiently Advanced Magic. I now understand what Rowe meant by this being LitRPG but not really LitRPG.

And even though this should be something that I should enjoy, uhh, nope, not for me. I bounced off HARD - I finished the sample but feel no desire to keep reading whatsoever.

Turns out I am more of a reading snob than I thought. The concept, plot and world building in the sample were all intriguing but I literally could not get past the prose.

There's so much telling instead of showing.

Every description reads like a room description in a text-based MUD, right down to the order in which things are described and room exits.

Corin is a discount Lindon - he's got all of the same superficial character traits without the depths that make Lindon a compelling character.

I take back every :rolleyes: I've ever made at a TBB "real literature" gang post about prose. I get it now. Prose is important.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Leng posted:

I'm in the midst of market research because I decided I would try my hand at writing a progression fantasy, seeing how there's a rabid fan base desperate for more books like Cradle.

I liked Mage Errant, but it is definitely not up to Cradle standards in terms of the actual writing, though I do love the world building and plotting.

Anyway I decided to try Arcane Ascension next, because that gets mentioned all the time as similar to Cradle. So I just finished the sample chapter of Sufficiently Advanced Magic. I now understand what Rowe meant by this being LitRPG but not really LitRPG.

And even though this should be something that I should enjoy, uhh, nope, not for me. I bounced off HARD - I finished the sample but feel no desire to keep reading whatsoever.

Turns out I am more of a reading snob than I thought. The concept, plot and world building in the sample were all intriguing but I literally could not get past the prose.

There's so much telling instead of showing.

Every description reads like a room description in a text-based MUD, right down to the order in which things are described and room exits.

Corin is a discount Lindon - he's got all of the same superficial character traits without the depths that make Lindon a compelling character.

I take back every :rolleyes: I've ever made at a TBB "real literature" gang post about prose. I get it now. Prose is important.

You might try reading a summary of the first book and go into the later books and other series. I think Sufficiently Advanced was Rowe's first and I think he gets better over time. I remember really liking the War Of Broken Mirrors overall, though its not really progression fantasy, just fantasy. Kind of the same with Weapons And Wielders.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
One of Will Wight’s other series, House of Blades, is another progression fantasy. You can definitely tell it was written before Cradle, and the progression has a breakneck pace, but it’s an enjoyable trilogy.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Dr Subterfuge posted:

One of Will Wight’s other series, House of Blades, is another progression fantasy. You can definitely tell it was written before Cradle, and the progression has a breakneck pace, but it’s an enjoyable trilogy.

I've read EVERYTHING Wight has put out (including all of the newsletter bonuses) and he doesn't get enough credit for his writing. House of Blades still holds up very well on rereads; he did that good a job with his characters.

Victorkm posted:

You might try reading a summary of the first book and go into the later books and other series. I think Sufficiently Advanced was Rowe's first and I think he gets better over time. I remember really liking the War Of Broken Mirrors overall, though its not really progression fantasy, just fantasy. Kind of the same with Weapons And Wielders.

I did consider this, though I then also made the mistake of jumping into the Amazon reviews for the next two books.

I might try Street Cultivation first, before i go down that route. Here's hoping I don't bounce off that quite so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

When House of Blades ended, I felt like it was just getting started. Could use another few books in my opinion.