Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MazelTovCocktail posted:

You’re welcome! I also highly highly advise the subnatucia one.

Their survival series are always fantastic. 7days, ark, Conan, rust, all great.

Oh and their gta series. Basically the whole channel is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Play posted:

Oh and also I did have on question: where do you get... what's it called.. it's like advanced electronics or something like that. It has a different name I can't remember but it's a material you need to upgrade the final slot (ammunition I think) for most of the resolver weapons. Where the heck am I supposed to get that stuff?

Bandido missions, or buying them for Monero from Lola.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

Do you mean the special operations from Lola or the Bandidos operations from the board?

Bandidos I don't think you need to be online for?

Ah, you're right, thanks.

I think I mayyyyyy have found a workaround by switching my Ubisoft Connect friends status to invisible and then back. Weirdly have been without crashes since doing this with every startup.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Aphrodite posted:

Quests and checkpoints and the like in higher level areas also reward them, as well some higher level animals.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Aphrodite posted:

Monero is the stuff you get from those special multiplayer missions? I haven't tried those yet.

I haven't seen any bandido missions that offer that stuff but maybe I wasn't looking too hard and thought they were standard materials. Usually I was just going for the peso missions because those are reasonably useful.

Quests and checkpoints and the like in higher level areas also reward them, as well some higher level animals.

Thanks. Looks like if I keep playing I'll start coming across them, I'm only about halfway through the plantation area and El Este. I think I'm about level 9 or 10 or so

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Monero is from co-op, weekly challenges, Bandido missions and some post-game mode.

The level system in this is strange. What does it even represent? I had 4 star guns from levelling the HQs by like level 6 and that seems to be as good as it gets. Plus the highest zone in the game is like 9.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 12, 2021

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
You can solo those Lola missions for Monero as well. I played the mudslide one and it was fun! A nice take on the Expeditions from New Dawn, though I wish the game had shipped with more than two of them.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Aphrodite posted:

Monero is from co-op, weekly challenges, Bandido missions and some post-game mode.

The level system in this is strange. What does it even represent? I had 4 star guns from levelling the HQs by like level 6 and that seems to be as good as it gets. Plus the highest zone in the game is like 9.

Yeah I have no idea if that actually changes anything gameplay-wise. You can raise your level crazy fast anyways by just blowing up shitloads of vehicles. I'm guessing it's just, like, a way to keep track of your progress but doesn't actually make you stronger? I really don't know but I'm curious.

The only four star guns I have are the resolver weapons themselves, I try not to even think about the currencies that much because there are too many of them and they are annoying. I just keep collecting crap hoping that next time I want to use them for something I will have enough. Then I hit some bottlenecks and that's why I posted here about my confusion.

I haven't played any of the co-op stuff so that's why I haven't come across monero I guess. But what are the weekly challenges, how do you learn what those are and how do you do them?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Aphrodite posted:

I think it only determines which guns are available in stores, though you can still get them for free by opening chests around the map. From what I can tell there hasn't been anything new in stores for a while now so past level 9 or so it's just a meaningless number representing how much the guerillas respect you.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Phetz posted:

You can solo those Lola missions for Monero as well. I played the mudslide one and it was fun! A nice take on the Expeditions from New Dawn, though I wish the game had shipped with more than two of them.

If you try to do those, do you need, like friends on ubisoft connect or some crap? Or will it automatically partner you with a random person who is trying to do the same mission? Really I will probably just do them solo, I'm not big on online co-op most of the time.

Sorry for all the questions but thanks to everyone who has helped with an answer.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Play posted:

If you try to do those, do you need, like friends on ubisoft connect or some crap? Or will it automatically partner you with a random person who is trying to do the same mission? Really I will probably just do them solo, I'm not big on online co-op most of the time.

Sorry for all the questions but thanks to everyone who has helped with an answer.

I’ve only done one but it was solo. It did seem like it’d be fun co-op though

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I feel you, I don't do much multiplayer stuff either. You don't need friends or matchmaking at all as far as I can tell, you just pick the op you want to do and click solo play. I think you might get more Monero by doing them co-op, and they say the higher difficulties are geared toward co-op, but you can solo both missions and repeat them in the higher difficulties. It didn't even feel much like someone else was supposed to be there, it kind of felt like a self-contained, regular mission in some other exotic location.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Play posted:

Monero is the stuff you get from those special multiplayer missions? I haven't tried those yet.

I haven't seen any bandido missions that offer that stuff but maybe I wasn't looking too hard and thought they were standard materials. Usually I was just going for the peso missions because those are reasonably useful.

Thanks. Looks like if I keep playing I'll start coming across them, I'm only about halfway through the plantation area and El Este. I think I'm about level 9 or 10 or so

I haven't seen industrial circuits/polymer as the 'main reward', but they've come up a couple of times as a stage reward in a weirdly large quantity.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh poo poo, there's essentially a transmog system in here. If you hit F (or whatever the button is on a controller) to 'inspect' a piece of gear, you can apply an appearance to it in the bottom corner like it is for weapons and from there choose any other piece of gear you own to make it look like that but keep the same bonuses. So I can be immune to fire with the fuego set but not look like a dumb firefighter for example.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Oct 13, 2021

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

explosivo posted:

Oh poo poo, there's essentially a transmog system in here. If you hit F to 'inspect' a piece of gear, you can apply an appearance to it in the bottom corner like it is for weapons and from there choose any other piece of gear you own to make it look like that but keep the same bonuses. So I can be immune to fire with the fuego set but not look like a dumb firefighter for example.

I feel like Ubisoft is having a mild case of the resident evil six in terms of explaining things.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
I wish they'd at least allow us to re-access the tutorial pop-ups via the menus or something. There were definitely tutorials I missed or just skimmed because I was in the middle of, you know, playing the game when they popped up.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

The Zeusito EMP resolver weapon is huge against choppers, knocks them out of the sky in one hit.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Annoyingly short range though.

On the plus side you can often reuse the chopper.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you give a launcher EMP shells it will knock choppers out of the sky in one shot too.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Yeah man am I enjoying this. I don’t know what it is but once I start.. I just can’t stop. Activity to activity just humming along blowing poo poo up and exploring weird places and spooky caves and stuff. Hours literally go by and I don’t even realize it.

So in Montenegro (the first area you go to on the mainland) is there a good grenade launcher to get? And how do I unlock these EMP rounds?

This video by the 14tips guy is about advanced weapons and uh… that sniper rifle that’s so easy to get looks absolutely game breaking. Honestly I feel like waiting to get something as OP as that in case it spoils the game.

https://youtu.be/VFQAdkt9aVA

This Gameranx video has locations of a few extremely.. way extremely overpowered gear. That rocket launcher my god.

https://youtu.be/BFrTJSXxzEM

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The thing is that none of the unique weapons are things you can’t just do yourself. They just have them potentially earlier.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Building and upgrading the guerrilla garrison is a good way to get access to a bunch of good weapons relatively early on.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

There’s an oil platform in the far northwest of the map, off the coast of the first main location that had a ridiculous silenced buckshot shotgun on it.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Am I correct in feeling that stealth is just kind of meh in this? Should I just say gently caress it and go loud and mobile?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Blind Rasputin posted:

Yeah man am I enjoying this. I don’t know what it is but once I start.. I just can’t stop. Activity to activity just humming along blowing poo poo up and exploring weird places and spooky caves and stuff. Hours literally go by and I don’t even realize it.

So in Montenegro (the first area you go to on the mainland) is there a good grenade launcher to get? And how do I unlock these EMP rounds?

This video by the 14tips guy is about advanced weapons and uh… that sniper rifle that’s so easy to get looks absolutely game breaking. Honestly I feel like waiting to get something as OP as that in case it spoils the game.

https://youtu.be/VFQAdkt9aVA

This Gameranx video has locations of a few extremely.. way extremely overpowered gear. That rocket launcher my god.

https://youtu.be/BFrTJSXxzEM

The only issue I found with the sniper is that it will wake up an entire base after one shot if you're too close. So best to use it to take out as many people from as far away as you can, then move in to take out the rest.

I lol'd hard when Dani goes "Why doesn't anyone loving text? Is this the 90s?" after someone called her during a mission. Also one of the Speeches literally sounded like something that Tucker Carlson or some other soft boy nazi on tv would say "we must kill the dagger in our heart, the dagger called tolerance!"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Lol, ok. I take back there not being that many croc attacks. Some places are swarming with them.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Sedisp posted:

Am I correct in feeling that stealth is just kind of meh in this? Should I just say gently caress it and go loud and mobile?

You get bonus resources for taking outposts without being spotted or not setting off an alarm.

Bow and arrow stealth has always been lots of fun for me in the Far Crys, but it's also the sort of game that's very fun to go full 1980's action hero the moment you get spotted, so play how you like. :black101:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

You get bonus resources for taking outposts without being spotted or not setting off an alarm.

Bow and arrow stealth has always been lots of fun for me in the Far Crys, but it's also the sort of game that's very fun to go full 1980's action hero the moment you get spotted, so play how you like. :black101:

I usually play bow and arrow but it requiring a headshot kinda made me stay away from it in this.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Sedisp posted:

I usually play bow and arrow but it requiring a headshot kinda made me stay away from it in this.

Ah but now the arrows make their helmets explode with a big crunch. Worth the change IMO.

Arrows were probably a touch overpowered in the last few games and I rarely had to go Rambo when taking an outpost. Now it's about 50/50.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I actually really enjoy stealth in this game, I've stacked up a bunch of movement mods so I'm lightning fast even when crouched, zipping around bases murking dudes with throwing knives or a silenced AS VAL burst to the face.

It's definitely viable, just make sure you pack AP rounds for headshots. Boomer helps too.

You can also just use a silenced sniper and clear out entire bases without ever stepping inside but that's cheating imo.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I actually really enjoy stealth in this game, I've stacked up a bunch of movement mods so I'm lightning fast even when crouched, zipping around bases murking dudes with throwing knives or a silenced AS VAL burst to the face.

It's definitely viable, just make sure you pack AP rounds for headshots. Boomer helps too.

You can also just use a silenced sniper and clear out entire bases without ever stepping inside but that's cheating imo.

I was doing that (stealth sniping from the edge of the base), except just with a silenced 45/70, and then I realized that the little optional missions that get mentioned when you find a military base are actually fun challenges and I wish I had done them from the start.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Sedisp posted:

What makes you say that? I've been running with a silent rifle and doing my best to silently take out bases for the extra resources. I usually played FC in the past with a bow as well but basically haven't touched it in this one since the silenced rifles are fantastic.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Really not a fan of relegating all the perks you'd normally get from a tree to attaching them to gear. Coming from Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, it's a real step down of that system. In that game you don't have to wear the outfit in order to get the bonuses. I wish this game did that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Is there any bonus for wearing a full set? A review said their was but I don’t see any listed on tooltips

Lamquin
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Really not a fan of relegating all the perks you'd normally get from a tree to attaching them to gear. Coming from Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart, it's a real step down of that system. In that game you don't have to wear the outfit in order to get the bonuses. I wish this game did that.

As mentioned a bit above, you can skin any gear you'd like to other pieces you own to not look like a weirdo.

Does anyone have any idea on numbers for the gear pieces? I deeply dislike seeing "Improves Bullet resistance" without any % number. How much compared to "slightly improves"? Does it stack? Argh!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That I know but it's just means you're not getting a lot of different perks and bonuses. Changing your outfit for the situation is too much micromanagement for a dumb Far Cry game.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

I kinda like that it forces you to make trade offs in order to get a build you like, as opposed to just being able to do everything all the time. Also you can stack the same perk on different pieces of gear, in case you ever wanted to up your move speed to doom guy level velocities.

Also just discovered you can get EMP arrows if anyone is looking for an easy way to take down helicopters.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I kinda like that it forces you to make trade offs in order to get a build you like, as opposed to just being able to do everything all the time. Also you can stack the same perk on different pieces of gear, in case you ever wanted to up your move speed to doom guy level velocities.

Also just discovered you can get EMP arrows if anyone is looking for an easy way to take down helicopters.

Yeah, I do miss the skill tree because it bums me out not being able to have everything, but at the same time it is preventing me from becoming an unkillable god like 5-6 hours into the game so I kinda get it.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sedisp posted:

Stealth as in sneaky takedown stuff is eh but stealth as in "crouching on a hill 200 meters away popping skulls while my panther friend tears throats out" is satisfying.