Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

orange juche posted:

Saw something crawl across the ticker for Merchant Marine,

TW: assault victim describing sexual assault/rape during her Sea Year

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/11/business/maersk-rape-investigation-merchant-marine/index.html

Sea Year may be getting suspended again because crews can't keep their hands off female cadets. The US federal government doesn't really have a way to actually enforce compliance with the zero tolerance sexual assault mandate, right? Considering there's a very small amount of US flagged carriers out there, I guess they could stop putting cadets on non-US flagged vessels.

I'd ask the question "how hard is it to not be loving rapey" but the answer is apparently "very hard indeed" :negative:

Has anyone been keeping an eye on stats year over year for sexual assaults and the like? These reports come out so frequently that Im left wondering whether the rates of assault are actually getting worse, as opposed to reporting becoming more commonplace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Reporting is getting more commonplace.

I went through a merchant marine academy in another country fifteen years ago or so and… yeah. It’s not just a US flag problem.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Grip it and rip it posted:

Has anyone been keeping an eye on stats year over year for sexual assaults and the like? These reports come out so frequently that Im left wondering whether the rates of assault are actually getting worse, as opposed to reporting becoming more commonplace.

I don't know how you do worse than literally 100% of female cadets being assaulted, so I don't actually know how it could get worse.

Like, that number in itself is loving mind boggling.

The US Navy has problems with sexual assault but 100% incidence rate is way beyond.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Oct 13, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 18, 2022

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My first counseling chit was for sexually harassing a usmma cadet. Not super proud of that but it shook some of the bro out of me I think.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
The academy cultures are just incredibly terrible, I had a kid from a state school tell me like it was just obvious that if you get the bottom bunk on the training ship people will stick their asses in and poo poo on you

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

The main problem with academies is they’re full of the kind of people who wanted to go to academies.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

poll plane variant posted:

The academy cultures are just incredibly terrible, I had a kid from a state school tell me like it was just obvious that if you get the bottom bunk on the training ship people will stick their asses in and poo poo on you

What the gently caress?

We had none of that poo poo going, but we also didn’t have training ships. Get rid of all training ships IMO. Just have people train on real ships.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

FrozenVent posted:

What the gently caress?

We had none of that poo poo going, but we also didn’t have training ships. Get rid of all training ships IMO. Just have people train on real ships.

I fail to see how that will get rid of the rapes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

poll plane variant posted:

The gently caress? Someone liked to do the poo poo dollar thing but thats a whole new level. Think the worst we did was jump in someone's bunk after working with insulation and roll around.

I know one of my friends was raped at school, another was sexually harassed. The culture is loving toxic and my school has some of the lowest alumni engagement. Whenever I walk back on campus to help coach the rugby team I get nauseous, I loving it hate it. One of my ships was mostly from there and everyone felt the same way. The cadets there are still using gay and associated words as pejoratives like its the 90s still. The USMMA also sends their cadets out in deck/engine pairs so if a guy is paired with a girl he usually thinks its a given.

My last chief embodied the culture and never grew out of it. He said I was too uptight when he left but setting extremely rigid standards and actually calling them out when people fail to hit them is required otherwise they will run away with it and you get the MLL stuff. I have no problem being uptight and never putting up with that poo poo, it just means I'm no longer a lot of fun at parties.

Losing cadets won't effect the industry at all in the short term. A lot of companies no longer take them because of issues like that. Academy ships are already being built for the state schools, the USMMA could just send them there.

Like has been mentioned, this is endemic to the entire industry. Theres one side trying to move forward and but there were plenty of posts with variations of "women shouldn't be at sea cause men can't help themselves or they just cause conflict like this" etc. John Konrad, the gcaptain founder, is extremely progressive compared to the industry as a whole and definitely struggles with the same stuff I have, I'm glad he has been vocal about this. Theres stuff like the Safmarine cadet the killed herself cause she was trapped in those conditions.

Man gently caress this industry.

FV the rape happened on an MLL vessel, the USMMA doesn't have a training ship and sends their cadets out with US flagged companies. I think MLL is the big one, APL might still take them, Matson doesnt. It doesn't matter though, a cadet, male or female, should not have to be restricted to a certain vessel for safety concerns. The same issues that are endemic to the academies run throughout the industry. Thats just a bandaid that won't do anything to fix it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 14, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah Conrad is pretty progressive, any doubt to that can be erased by reading the comments on gCaptain posts.

Getting rid of training ships wouldn’t stop the rape but it would stop people making GBS threads on the lower bunks.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Yeah I dont get that. It was fun to gently caress around with your friends a bit but its already miserable, why compound it like that? Its apt with how toxic the culture is I guess.

Edit: Like I said, my last chief never grew out of the academy. I had to sit down with him and have a bit of a discussion over not using gay or human being or telling racist jokes, ever. I also told the captain I was walking off the ship and forced him to take note of the situation to get the chief off. This was someone that I had to drag down to the control room and forced him to stay long enough to roll the engines on air so we could get out of there. He didn't bother staying till first bell. Everyone KNEW this poo poo about him and kept hand waving all the negatives cause they needed a warm body in that chair.

Everyone wants to play some I'm not touching you dog whistle poo poo and its hard to address it. The only way I've figured out to avoid that is to just not play and leave. Like that chief had a bunch of people carrying him cause they were classmates or whatever. Noone wants to be the rat or the rear end in a top hat.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 14, 2021

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

FrozenVent posted:

What the gently caress?

Based on my experience watching how we treated midshipmen I don't think that will help.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

At least having the cadets spread around multiple ships breaks up the groupthink somewhat. I did my cadet times on a bunch of different ships and they all had very different cultures.

In my experience, that kind of stuff comes down from the captain and chief, if they tolerate that poo poo it snowballs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
guys i don't think the navy is really committed to changing the culture that leads to this

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It works the same way on a training ship as it does on a real one. Those in power have to ruthlessly stomp that poo poo out. If the chief or captain or both are the sources then the cadets are even more exposed.

I was in an extremely strong position since I knew the vessel and could sail it while my chief was a steam guy and barely knew diesel. My captain was a classmate. I was backed up by the SQEMS and everything and I still didn't feel comfortable reporting and straight up said I quit. I was also 1st. It still took 10 days before I had a strong enough case and he managed to do a lot of damage.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

maffew buildings posted:

guys i don't think the navy is really committed to changing the culture that leads to this

I suppose senior Navy leadership could maybe refuse appointments to the USNR from the USMMA until Department of Transportation instituted changes and metrics are observed that meet an agreed upon standard, at the USMMA, a service academy not run by the Navy. That might run counter to the Navy's manning mission and run them afoul of congress as well. I wouldn't be surprised if a DOD department unilaterally directing operations at the DoT through withholding commissions is illegal, but I don't know that for sure.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

i meant the navy doesn't really care about this in their service or elsewhere so it won't lead to any changes

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

maffew buildings posted:

i meant the navy doesn't really care about this in their service or elsewhere so it won't lead to any changes

Yeah. You can get a single command to behave differently for one CO, by and large, but as an institution, inertia is a lot stronger than effort.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This isn’t the navy though, and there are a lot of companies that can be sued for sexual harassment and hostile workplace involved.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Soooooo we're getting ready to cross the line. This ship having the Shellbacks make the Wogs' t-shirts for them, which is a first for me, I've always seen the Wogs make their own shirts, but whatever.

We can draw push-buttons on the shirts, but...

we can't push them. Because Sailors Don't Touch Sailors.

Yeah.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Soooooo we're getting ready to cross the line. This ship having the Shellbacks make the Wogs' t-shirts for them, which is a first for me, I've always seen the Wogs make their own shirts, but whatever.

We can draw push-buttons on the shirts, but...

we can't push them. Because Sailors Don't Touch Sailors.

Yeah.

You cant trust sailors to not touch you in the middle of the night while you racked out and you think allowing them in some silly ceremony is a good idea these days?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Lol. I got Hypothermia during my bluenose and broke my wrist crossing the line.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
https://taskandpurpose.com/news/ncis-us-navy-birthday-russian-warship/

It keeps happening.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
A wog just emailed the Blueshirts distro (so all E-6 and junior, even though our shirts are brown now, but I get why we can't be called Brownshirts) to coordinate some idea for the talent show. I responded with "WHY ARE YOU TAINTING MY INBOX WITH THIS GARBAGE?" using "Reply to All".

This was a mistake. I didn't need to know exactly how far up their own rear end so many people on this loving ship are.

From another E-6, not even in the same department as the OP:

"Why are you talking to a Junior Sailor like that?
If you disagree and don’t believe is appropriate to send emails to everyone, then talk to that person directly and don’t be rude to him. You never correct a mistake in front of everyone else!

You handle it poorly and there is better ways to handle it.

You have any issues come and talk to me directly!!"

So far it's about a 50/50 split between people playing along and people wringing their hands and moaning. I'm ready for deployment to end. On the bright side, we've got a beer day scheduled for next week...

edit: Holy poo poo my chief just came into CSMC to talk to me. Apparently he was told about the email but hadn't seen it. I shudder to think of what he was imagining I had said, because when I showed him what is now a very lively email chain, he just rolled his eyes and left without another word.

Mr. Bad Guy fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 16, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Can you suggest events? Have the wogs disassemble a weapon in a vat of grease.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Is there a collection of all of these? Sooner or later there's going to be a DoD requirement for happy birthday tweets to require flag approval.

On the other hand, a Happy Birthday Navy periscope photo of a foreign warship would be pretty sweet.

Taken from a Los Angeles

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

The best mass email I received while I was in was back in about 2011 or 2012. I was on my very last deployment to a sub tender for rotational staffing. The sub tender had about 200 Navy people and 200 civmars if I remember correctly, so not a huge crew. Anyway, it was from the leader of the "Junior Petty Officer Association", who happened to be a gold E-5 if I recall correctly. Anyway, they send out an email that was very close to this:

"Shipmates,
I have noticed a concerning trend happening lately. Junior sailors are not showing the appropriate amount of respect to their seniors. In particular 1st class Petty Officers and long service 2nd Class Petty Officers are not being paid the appropriate amount of respect. We need to instruct our junior sailors better. We need to remind them that they need to step to the sides in the P-way, make way on the mess decks, to make room for them on the smoke deck, to offer to hold doors for them, and most importantly to acknowledge and greet them appropriately. Hopefully we can turn this around and make sure we have a pleasant deployment.

V/R BM2 Somedouche"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

A gold BM2 means he was as smart as two rocks.

A friend of mine that stayed in made BMC in 8 years and can only see out of one eye.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

This BM2 also, on multiple occasions, would spell "In port" as "import", like "When we are import tomorrow we will be doing a stores offload and this or that hatchway and ladderwell will be secured"

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Found in my NOSCs supplies.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's old school right there.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

The Seabees have a lot of hand wringing second classes like that, since there's so many seconds bouncing due to HYT. They're 'bad test takers' :)

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
We had a bunch of senior 1sts who had returned to engineering from recruiter billets who got tagged with some disrespectful nicknames and who would get clowned on by competent e-4s and e-5s. They were mostly mechanics though. Our dmoothies had some dipshit sea returnee shitbag who whined enough to the chiefs mess that people had to stop openly disrespecting him while on watch

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Grip it and rip it posted:

We had a bunch of senior 1sts who had returned to engineering from recruiter billets who got tagged with some disrespectful nicknames and who would get clowned on by competent e-4s and e-5s. They were mostly mechanics though. Our dmoothies had some dipshit sea returnee shitbag who whined enough to the chiefs mess that people had to stop openly disrespecting him while on watch

When I was on the Bush I met this really nice guy, who was a machinist mate, who had done recruiting duty. He had a stutter though, and he was telling me he had to get a special waiver because of it. He went home to Texas to recruit. He said it was really tough and his stutter made it really hard and he wasn't pulling the numbers he needed for his first quarter or two and he was threatened with being sent back to the fleet because of it. He said he was panicked and didn't know what to do and that it was going to be hard for his marriage as his parents were nearby and watching the kids so the wife could work.

But then September 11th happened. This guy said that after that, his next 2.5 years as a recruiter were the best ever. He said all he had to do was go to any bar on Friday or Saturday night. He could drink for free all night, people would come up to him and offer to enlist, get his card, etc.. He would come into work on Monday morning, make a few calls to the contacts he made, and then just arranged the tests and meps and whatnot. Had to put 0 effort forward to get the numbers. Pretty much one of the best deals a person can imagine during their career.

That being said, being away from the nuclear navy for 3 years really slowed his advancement down, but he wasn't a diggit so he did not much care. Real nice guy though.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Coming up on six years. The Navy has yet to gently caress me over, but it keeps up with the papercuts. Slice by slice. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship: "just think of the good times," I tell myself at 3AM being force fed Fox News on watch. "I'm sure things will be just like the good old times soon!"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Y'all watching TV on watch?

:chiefsay: Navy gettin soft these days!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Red Crown posted:

Coming up on six years. The Navy has yet to gently caress me over, but it keeps up with the papercuts. Slice by slice. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship: "just think of the good times," I tell myself at 3AM being force fed Fox News on watch. "I'm sure things will be just like the good old times soon!"

Be careful. Next thing you know you're at 10 or more years and considering getting kicked in the balls for 10 more years just for the medical /retirement.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Laranzu posted:

Be careful. Next thing you know you're at 10 or more years and considering getting kicked in the balls for 10 more years just for the medical /retirement.

Seventeen. And I know I'll have to drill for points for 9 months to make 20 good years. :shepicide: I know it'll be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Seventeen. And I know I'll have to drill for points for 9 months to make 20 good years. :shepicide: I know it'll be worth it.

14...17 by the end of this contract. It's somehow harder every day