Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
The problem is that the tote handle isn't screwed in; it's pinned and I really don't want to risk trying to remove it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Stultus Maximus posted:

The problem is that the tote handle isn't screwed in; it's pinned and I really don't want to risk trying to remove it.

Oh hmm. You could probably mask it off from the penetrating oil/amsk metal off from finish with tape? Doesn't look like it would be too hard to scuff sand/finish the handle in place. I have no idea what finish those originally had. My old Sargent definitely is lacquer, but no idea about Stanleys.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I'm pretty sure evapo-rust is safe for wood so you could soak the whole thing in that for a bit. If you don't want to submerge it I think they say you can wet paper towels with it and wrap the parts you want rust removed

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
The safest, best and also slowest rust removal is to submerge it in molasses for a few weeks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dzlE9-9DVE

It'll get into all the nooks and crannies and won't hurt the base metal.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Then all those nooks and crannies can be full of molasses instead!

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
I don't see the problem, it'll run very sweetly after you do that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously the best way to remove rust is to make a homebrew electro-plating device out of an arc welder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HN590K81D5c

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Y’all my planer came a day early! Couldn’t wait to get started so I planed down my oak boards and they look great. Gonna rip the edges on my table saw to get them to the right size and I think tomorrow is glue up day. TightBond 1, 2, or 3 for a table?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
1 or 2. My understanding is that 3 is weaker than the others, in exchange for better water resistance. I use 2 for practically everything these days, because I'm lazy.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

1 or 2. My understanding is that 3 is weaker than the others, in exchange for better water resistance. I use 2 for practically everything these days, because I'm lazy.

I feel like 2 makes more sense. I don’t expect it to get wet but it’s a table and spills happen. Now I get to spend more money on clamps. Always clamps.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

doing my third glue up on the anarchist's bench today: the plane stop chunk. My leg vise hardware showed up last night too.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like 2 makes more sense. I don’t expect it to get wet but it’s a table and spills happen. Now I get to spend more money on clamps. Always clamps.
I used to prefer TB1 to 2 or 3 but I am all about TB3 these days. I’ve occasionally had mysterious problems with 1 and 2 that *probably* have more to do with environmental conditions in my shop than the glue, but since I’ve switched to 3 I haven’t had any problems. However, I also changed some things about my glueing process when I switched to TB3, so it’s hard say for sure that changing glue fixed my problems. 3 also dries pretty rigid and hard and sands okay. The downside to 3 is that it’s strength drops off very rapidly at temps above like 120F so it isn’t really recommended for exterior door panels or stuff that might be in hot sun.

Tightbond 2 is my personal least favorite for any kind of visible glue ups. It seems to leave a kind of gummy glue line, it doesn’t sand or scrape very well, and it can leave an orangey stain where you clean it up, especially on lighter woods.

They are all good glues though and which you use matters much less than a good tight, smooth joint and plenty of clamping pressure.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Titebond claims that 3 is the strongest but tbh on a joint strong enough for those figures to matter everything around the glue is going to fail before it does. The only real advantages to 2 are it sets up quicker and flows better for fixing cracks and stuff, it's totally fine to use but if you're making non-industrial quantities of stuff I'd just buy a bunch of 3.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Titebond claims that 3 is the strongest but tbh on a joint strong enough for those figures to matter everything around the glue is going to fail before it does. The only real advantages to 2 are it sets up quicker and flows better for fixing cracks and stuff, it's totally fine to use but if you're making non-industrial quantities of stuff I'd just buy a bunch of 3.
I've always been a bit confused on the strength thing. This is what TB lists on their website:

TB Original:

TB II:

TBIII:

I think the 'Wood failure' percentage is very important-that shows much wood failed vs. how much the glue bond failed. More wood failure = glue bond stronger than the wood. TB 3 has relatively low wood failure which suggests that the glue bond is weaker than the bond of the wood to itself, where TB1 and 2 have lower 'strength' numbers but higher wood failure percentages. I've just never quite made sense of that, and next time I talk to their tech guy I need to remember to ask. They do have really good tech support people if you call.

TB3 is also a good bit thicker viscosity than the others and I seem to get less squeeze out with it and I like the brown color. It also has a good bit longer open time which is really helpful for complex glue-ups.

All of which is to say, TB1 is totally fine for interior work and it is Very Good Glue. TB3 may have some advantages in some situations but it's more expensive. If you want to get really serious, get some urea-formaldehyde glue powder and mix up your own :unsmigghh:

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
Why not hide glue?

I do not know the subtle differences between typical wood glue and hide glue but I did read The Anarchist's Design book and thus am aware of hide glue.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

urea-formaldehyde glue powder

Wait, this is a thing? The only way I can describe the smell I'm imagining is "alarming".

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Thanks for the replies! It is interior, so I think I will split the difference to get myself a bit more working time and just go with TB2. It'll get minor spills and whatnot because it is a table, so I think that will be a good compromise.

Now onto finishing. I know I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but I've got some oak, and I would love to see the grain pattern. I am going to preface this with "yes I am going to do this on sample scraps of my cutoff oak parts"

Here is my thinking and maybe you all can steer me in a better direction, in terms of product:
1. Wood conditioner
2. Stain that bad-boy
3. Wood grain filler
4. Top coat

Would this be the general idea, with lots of sanding in between? For oak, water based, gel, or oil based stain? And I am assuming that if I start with either water or oil base, I need to stick with it all the way through.

KKKLIP ART fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 13, 2021

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I'm not intimately familiar with ASTM D905, but the strength value is the average sheer stress at failure, wood failure is less intuitive.

ASTM D907 defines wood failure as "the rupturing of wood fibers in strength tests on bonded specimens, usually expressed as the percentage of the total area involved which shows such failure."

How you interpret this is not something I'm qualified to do professionally. I think this means, in general, that TB I and II fail at lower sheer stress than TB III, but when TB III does fail the glue is also failing along with the wood rather than mostly just the wood.

Temperature is probably the curing conditions, the standard is 61 C for seven days unless specified otherwise (you can stop early if there are no more changes in total weight, which I guess is how they track glue curing?), so in this case an overnight cure at 150 F. So don't leave your joints in extreme heat conditions for a single night if you want maximum strength?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 13, 2021

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Suntan Boy posted:

Wait, this is a thing? The only way I can describe the smell I'm imagining is "alarming".
I'm not a chemistry person but it is the glue usually used to manufacture of plywood, MDF, etc. Plastic resin glue is another name. DAP used to make a Weldwood Plastic Resin glue but it seems to be discontinued. Other kinds of urea resin glues get used for veneering and bent laminations because they have no creep and are very rigid. I used to use it alot to veneer in a vacuum bag. If it wasn't kind of a pain to mix I'd use it all the time. I think the urea and formaldehyde get used to make the resins or something? Melamine is very closely related too. Here's a website with info on some funky glues for boatbuilding that talks about it: https://christinedemerchant.com/adhesive-glue-urea-formaldehyde.html

Serenade posted:

Why not hide glue?

I do not know the subtle differences between typical wood glue and hide glue but I did read The Anarchist's Design book and thus am aware of hide glue.
It's fine. It has no water resistance, loses strength pretty quickly at high temps, and has a short shelf life. Unless you need the things hide glue is good at (low creep and reversibility, mainly, but even that isn't always easy) I think PVA glues like titebond are generally a more user friendly choice without many disadvantages.

E:

Olothreutes posted:

I'm not intimately familiar with ASTM D905, but the strength value is the average sheer stress at failure, wood failure is less intuitive.

ASTM D907 defines wood failure as "the rupturing of wood fibers in strength tests on bonded specimens, usually expressed as the percentage of the total area involved which shows such failure."

How you interpret this is not something I'm qualified to do professionally. I think this means, in general, that TB I and II fail at lower sheer stress than TB III, but when TB III does fail the glue is also failing along with the wood rather than mostly just the wood.

Temperature is probably the curing conditions, the standard is 61 C for seven days unless specified otherwise (you can stop early if there are no more changes in total weight, which I guess is how they track glue curing?), so in this case an overnight cure at 150 degrees.
Thanks for the added info! I am pretty sure the 150F overnight is that the cured glue bond is heated for that long and then tested to represent the glue's performance at higher temps, or at least I think that's what I think their tech guy told me. Not something most woodworkers ever worry about, but it is possibly of concern for places that manufacture veneer work that might sit in the back of a tractor trailer in Arizona for a week or exterior doors etc.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 13, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I've always been a bit confused on the strength thing. This is what TB lists on their website:

TB Original:

TB II:

TBIII:

I think the 'Wood failure' percentage is very important-that shows much wood failed vs. how much the glue bond failed. More wood failure = glue bond stronger than the wood. TB 3 has relatively low wood failure which suggests that the glue bond is weaker than the bond of the wood to itself, where TB1 and 2 have lower 'strength' numbers but higher wood failure percentages. I've just never quite made sense of that, and next time I talk to their tech guy I need to remember to ask. They do have really good tech support people if you call.

TB3 is also a good bit thicker viscosity than the others and I seem to get less squeeze out with it and I like the brown color. It also has a good bit longer open time which is really helpful for complex glue-ups.

All of which is to say, TB1 is totally fine for interior work and it is Very Good Glue. TB3 may have some advantages in some situations but it's more expensive. If you want to get really serious, get some urea-formaldehyde glue powder and mix up your own :unsmigghh:

After watching some of the glue myths videos I suspect what it means is that the high-strength low-wood failure glues have a bit of a rubbery characteristic where the glue itself stretches some before the joint failures.

I'm using TBII for my workbench. It turns out that I'm using a drat lot of it.

And my timer for knocking the block out of the planer stop just went. :backtowork:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Workbench chat

I'm playing New World and it has various levels of woodworking stations, and I find them really interesting to look at. Like, I think the face vise here is too low, but whatever. The really neat thing to me is this outer rail that looks like it's holding a machinist's vise for edge planing or something, for some reason.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It's fine. It has no water resistance, loses strength pretty quickly at high temps, and has a short shelf life. Unless you need the things hide glue is good at (low creep and reversibility, mainly, but even that isn't always easy) I think PVA glues like titebond are generally a more user friendly choice without many disadvantages.

That's good to know! I had been wondering about it. It is the 'no water resistance' that's likely a deal breaker for me and why I just dismissed it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

signalnoise posted:

Workbench chat

I'm playing New World and it has various levels of woodworking stations, and I find them really interesting to look at. Like, I think the face vise here is too low, but whatever. The really neat thing to me is this outer rail that looks like it's holding a machinist's vise for edge planing or something, for some reason.

I'm digging the low riven one with the staked legs. That poo poo is awesome.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Thanks for the added info! I am pretty sure the 150F overnight is that the cured glue bond is heated for that long and then tested to represent the glue's performance at higher temps, or at least I think that's what I think their tech guy told me. Not something most woodworkers ever worry about, but it is possibly of concern for places that manufacture veneer work that might sit in the back of a tractor trailer in Arizona for a week or exterior doors etc.

it's relevant if you're making stuff that'll see use in a kitchen. I've had a fair few cutting boards just fall apart after using them as trivets, which probably bodes poorly for those inlaid ones I was making a while back lol

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Serenade posted:

That's good to know! I had been wondering about it. It is the 'no water resistance' that's likely a deal breaker for me and why I just dismissed it.

I went 2 doors down to Bob Flexner's shop one summer day in 1980 to borrow some glue from a fellow woodworker, and lo n behold, a guy doesn't keep yellow glue in his shop, wha? Then I learned a thing.

Hot pot hide glue is the go-to for antique restorers. He was real polite about using aliphatic glue for modern cabinets, etc but explained that for starters, hide glue being water (and probably alcohol too) soluble (or steamable, i don't recall) is easy to undo in a joint (or maybe even a veneer, idk) if you need to repair 300 yr old family heirloom. So using the same stuff woodworkers have used for time immemorial keeps the same glue tension in the piece.
Which is what he did and still does, afaik. Shop full of valuable antiques to repair and a waiting list of idk how long. For decades, if he's still doing it, which I'm guessing yes.

I mean on the face of it, Johnny was a doofus to run out of glue in a cabinet shop, but sending me over to Bob's was a cool excuse.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

How long does it take for resins like titebond to degrade, I wonder? Hide glue definitely just turns to dust after a few decades due to whatever combination of moisture and oxidation, which is usually NBD with nice antique furniture because it's got a solid mechanical joint holding the whole thing together anyway, but I gotta wonder what modern resin-and-plywood-based stuff is gonna look like in another 50, 100 years

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 13, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

How long does it take for resins like titebond to degrade, I wonder? Hide glue definitely just turns to dust after a few decades due to whatever combination of moisture and oxidation, which is usually NBD with nice antique furniture because it's got a solid mechanical joint holding the whole thing together anyway, but I gotta wonder what modern resin-and-plywood-based stuff is gonna look like in another 50, 100 years

https://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/archives.pl/bid/1110/md/read/id/426321/sbj/joint-life-how-long-will-glue-last/

quote:

The product sold as Titebond Original Wood Glue has been marketed since the early 1950's, and we are not aware of any tendency for bonds made with that product to change or degrade over time.

So, roughly 70 years and counting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So what's the best method for removing dried titebond 2 drips? Chisel? Sander? Because I have a ton of them :v:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

CommonShore posted:

So what's the best method for removing dried titebond 2 drips? Chisel? Sander? Because I have a ton of them :v:

Scraper.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
I bought a zero clearance insert, and I'm trying to figure out how something. The instructions say that if you have a riving knife you should cut out a slot on the back to allow it to pass through - and that you should leave as large a bridge between the slot you cut and the slot cut via the blade. But that seems impossible to achieve - the riving knife hunches over the back ~1/3 of the blade, so it would need to have a full slot from the back to near the front wherever the blade stops cutting the slot. That seems like it would unnecessarily weaken the overall structure since you now have most of the insert cut in half - and indeed this is how the included throat insert is designed.

The method I'm considering is to remove the riving knife, install the insert and then raise the blade up to cut the initial slot, and then use a jigsaw to cut the slot further towards the back while leaving the back edge unbroken since the riving knife doesn't interfere with the absolute back of the insert. Does this seem like a good way to go about it? And are there table saws that exist where the included instructions of having two slots with a bridge between them could make sense? Is this how splitters work?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

that's how I do it yeah

mostly only make zero clearance inserts for various dado blade widths though so lol what riving knife

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Stopped at an antique mall this weekend. The only piece that landed in the space between "old junk that I don't have the time to try to restore" and "lovingly restored tool in great condition, priced accordingly" was this Sandusky Tool Company wooden jack plane:

I'm not sure when exactly it's from, from my googling it seems like anywhere between post-civil war and the mid-20s is possible. I'd assume it's toward the later end of that range given the shape it's in.

Iron and chip-breaker:

Wedge:

I paid $60 for it, which based on eBay seems like it's about right, but none of the ones I saw looked in this good of shape.

A couple questions I have:
I need to lap the sole, I assume I should oil it after that? Several coats of BLO?

Anything I should know about grinding/sharpening this iron? The iron is tapered on its thickness, so it's almost 1/4" thick before the bevel. I assume it won't really fit in any honing guides so I'll have to do it freehand.

If I'm going to make a new adjustment whackin' spot on the front, should I just use the hardest wood I can easily get dowels for? Maple? How should I attach that? I'm worried if I use PVA glue, it'll be a huge pain to replace if I ever have to.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did you already start soaking this in all manner of chemicals? Because if not, hang on please.

Many of these older combo planes had "japanning" on the upper metal parts, which were actually two or three different plating/patinaing/coating technologies. You should just wash the thing to start with, and then get it in some good light and see if any japananning remains. If so... you need to take it into account before you start applying chemicals which could strip the japanning. Unless you don't mind stripping it, of course!

signalnoise posted:

Workbench chat

That's a Hi Vise!
https://www.benchcrafted.com/hivise
This page is trying to sell you a (very expensive) new one, but it also has a nice writeup on the history and usage. Essentially, it's a vise for bringing the work up higher for operations where a standing woodworker doesn't want to lean way over, or, for holding things other than flat boards. The example given on the linked page is the curved back of a chair, but any curved piece may be very awkward to hold in a face or end vise, or hold down with holdowns. A vise with a smaller jaw that can hold the work above your work surface is essential for some applications and just convenient for a lot more.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

more falafel please posted:

Stopped at an antique mall this weekend. The only piece that landed in the space between "old junk that I don't have the time to try to restore" and "lovingly restored tool in great condition, priced accordingly" was this Sandusky Tool Company wooden jack plane:

I'm not sure when exactly it's from, from my googling it seems like anywhere between post-civil war and the mid-20s is possible. I'd assume it's toward the later end of that range given the shape it's in.

Iron and chip-breaker:

Wedge:

I paid $60 for it, which based on eBay seems like it's about right, but none of the ones I saw looked in this good of shape.

A couple questions I have:
I need to lap the sole, I assume I should oil it after that? Several coats of BLO?

Anything I should know about grinding/sharpening this iron? The iron is tapered on its thickness, so it's almost 1/4" thick before the bevel. I assume it won't really fit in any honing guides so I'll have to do it freehand.

If I'm going to make a new adjustment whackin' spot on the front, should I just use the hardest wood I can easily get dowels for? Maple? How should I attach that? I'm worried if I use PVA glue, it'll be a huge pain to replace if I ever have to.

Looks lovely! Oil sounds right to me, I feel like you wouldn’t want a film finish on the sole. Would just a friction fit work for the button?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What would I need to seal a wooden canoe paddle? Would a million coats of poly work or do I need something special?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Leperflesh posted:

Did you already start soaking this in all manner of chemicals? Because if not, hang on please.

Many of these older combo planes had "japanning" on the upper metal parts, which were actually two or three different plating/patinaing/coating technologies. You should just wash the thing to start with, and then get it in some good light and see if any japananning remains. If so... you need to take it into account before you start applying chemicals which could strip the japanning. Unless you don't mind stripping it, of course!

That's a Hi Vise!
https://www.benchcrafted.com/hivise
This page is trying to sell you a (very expensive) new one, but it also has a nice writeup on the history and usage. Essentially, it's a vise for bringing the work up higher for operations where a standing woodworker doesn't want to lean way over, or, for holding things other than flat boards. The example given on the linked page is the curved back of a chair, but any curved piece may be very awkward to hold in a face or end vise, or hold down with holdowns. A vise with a smaller jaw that can hold the work above your work surface is essential for some applications and just convenient for a lot more.

Holy poo poo, I love this. I love being able to look at stuff in a game and learn more about real life woodworking items

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rutibex posted:

What would I need to seal a wooden canoe paddle? Would a million coats of poly work or do I need something special?

You need a marine varnish. I know Waterlox and Epifanes have one, but there are also probably others. Just make sure to get a marine/water contact one or you'll be refinishing it quickly. My grandfather's canoe has some sort of tung oil based finish on it, but I don't remember which exactly it was. I think there are resins or something they add to increase the UV rating and something or other. Either way, don't use a million coats, because you'll make the paddle heavier and that makes it a bummer to use for a long time.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Cutting an initial slot for the ZCI and then jigsawing towards the back edge worked out great - I inherited a Bosch 1587AVS and though I was worrying about cutting a straight line, that tool just wants to cut straight, dang. No more tearout for me!

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Plain ole spar urethane will work too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Optionally, you can epoxy the surface instead of or before using spar varnish. The varnish will protect the wood from water and sun, but not very much from damage, and in my experience canoe paddles are often driven into the gravel or rocks below the surface. A few coats of a durable epoxy, particularly along the edge, may give you some additional protection.

Optionally, you can forgo the newfangled varnishes and go for a traditional linseed oil and wax finish. It will take a lot more work, and be less resistant to weathering and fading, and require more maintenance: but it'll also be all-natural, and will keep water from penetrating the wood if you're thorough, and also looks amazing.