Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When I first heard there's a protest group called "insulate Britain" I immediately assumed it was anti immigration, because that's the kind of oval office that seems to make up most of the British population

My son is diabetic and we call giving him insulin insulating him. So Insulate Britain would be giving everyone lots of insulin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

therattle posted:

My son is diabetic and we call giving him insulin insulating him. So Insulate Britain would be giving everyone lots of insulin.

ThomasPaine I found your next PhD project

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Guavanaut posted:

They picked a cause where it's easier to say "the government should fulfill their promises and insulate housing" than "the government should implement unworkable laws to ban all protest" though.

Gambled and won I guess, because arsehole ham island still went with the latter.

The weird thing is that the public grudgingly supported XR. I remember people late for work, held up by the worst possible student theatre, grumbling "well the climate is important" from their cars. Everyone itt, and every leftist I know personally, gave them poo poo for backing off when they had public approval for an effective strategy to harm the government and economy.

How has the presence of a concrete demand caused this switch?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I think it says something about the effectiveness of insulate Britain that there are still a lot of politically engaged people who don't really understand who they are or what they want.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

^^^ Because if they state a position, there's a risk they'll attract the help of other leftist / progressive groups who can smell a cop a mile off.

IB are there to recruit a true enough believer that they'll get themselves run over, at which point Patel can step in with complete public support for that ban on 'any protests that inconvenience the public' they were trying out a while back.

They've invented a more annoying version of ER so that when they ban IB, the blanket ban will include ER (and probably also sneak any anti-government protests in there as well).

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 13, 2021

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spangly A posted:

The weird thing is that the public grudgingly supported XR. I remember people late for work, held up by the worst possible student theatre, grumbling "well the climate is important" from their cars. Everyone itt, and every leftist I know personally, gave them poo poo for backing off when they had public approval for an effective strategy to harm the government and economy.

they've attained a high level of notoriety through extremely visible protests and then managed to put forward the most incredibly unsuitable idiots possible to do all the media interviews

the question is whether they're an op and this was purposeful, or whether they're just a bunch of complete morons

(it's probably both)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Spangly A posted:

It's more of a fibreglass demand :dadjoke:

Also insulation doesn't sound as important as the climate, even though our lovely housing stock is very interlinked.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

therattle posted:

So every Briton either dies of diabetic shock or becomes a jacked powerlifter with a big gut. I say let's roll the dice

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

So every Briton either dies of diabetic shock or becomes a jacked powerlifter with a big gut. I say let's roll the dice

this is one way to achieve stronk britane

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Julio Cruz posted:

they've attained a high level of notoriety through extremely visible protests and then managed to put forward the most incredibly unsuitable idiots possible to do all the media interviews

the question is whether they're an op and this was purposeful, or whether they're just a bunch of complete morons

(it's probably both)

Oh XR were absolutely an op. The lithium thing, "arrest yourselves, it'll help somehow!", falling off the media when hallam and the German spooks left, pro cop/landlord and anti-leftist, attempting to coup and defang the climate strike, all of it.

My question is why blocking the roads was publically accepted in the first place but now, with the incredibly reasonable and achievable demand of "stop boomers dying every winter also lower our bills", a group with the same leadership is now getting assaulted. Did everyone just feel sorry for them?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Julio Cruz posted:

(it's probably both)

It's almost definitely both. Handlers and undercover officers have groomed and manipulated gullible fuckwits to do the actual protests.

Undercover police have a long history of embedding themselves in the heart of protest groups so they can manipulate people into doing stupid things.

e: On the subject of the police, I've been prodding them more, including tweeting directly to D&C's Control Room Supervisor
https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1448272066344591360

I hope they take the bait. I love improvised theatre, especially when they do house visits. lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 13, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

ThomasPaine I found your next PhD project

One is enough jfc

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Oh XR were absolutely an op. The lithium thing, "arrest yourselves, it'll help somehow!", falling off the media when hallam and the German spooks left, pro cop/landlord and anti-leftist, attempting to coup and defang the climate strike, all of it.

My question is why blocking the roads was publically accepted in the first place but now, with the incredibly reasonable and achievable demand of "stop boomers dying every winter also lower our bills", a group with the same leadership is now getting assaulted. Did everyone just feel sorry for them?

Guess who the founder of Insulate Britain is?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spangly A posted:

Stopping climate change is more important than lowering bills and stopping boomers dying. Not really mysterious I don't think.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

it's really only a Wheatstone bridge

Errrgggggg - flashbacks to A-level physics (1975/7) - it was all wheatstone bridges & post office boxes & experiments that didn't work. Nothing like uni physics which was mostly maths (hurrah but loads of folk quit after 1 semester because they should have been doing electrical engineering instead).

thebardyspoon posted:

Sigh, been working from home just fine for 7 months now. My team who started 3 and 2 months ago respectively have been doing the same.

Next week we have to start going into the office, one of the other higher ups had the advice of “working from home, if you want it, just have the conversation with our CEO, he’s a reasonable guy” and maybe that worked for him cause he’s known the guy for years.

For me and my team I suggested a couple pretty reasonable potential options like hotdesking, with each of us rotating equally and such but just got a straight “nah” to all of them.

So next week I can look forward to spending £300ish a month and 6/7 hours a week commuting to do the same job. Really wish everything wasn’t on fire right now or I’d potentially just jack it in tbh but that feels like a really stupid decision so I probably won’t.

Can’t wait to experience some of this “greater cohesion, better workflow and comradeship” that’ll make it worth it I’m sure.

Do you have a child, nephew or niece in their teens who can reasonably be expected to test positive for covid on a regular basis so you have to stay at home?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Even though that thing with the drones at Gatwick was probably just made up by the police, it was still cool and climate activists should do more of it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
:tinfoil: get IB to aggravate the public in a way which XR didn't quite.
:tinfoil: chuck green levy on top of the huge increases in gas charges so people

:tinfoil: people get hacked off with 'green' measures so the govt says at the behest of the electorate they are cancelling all green actions.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I think the honeymoon period ended with the tube strike. People could work around street protests, but sitting on tube trains (which are already electrified and greener than buses or cars) on a busy work day was a spectacularly cretinous idea.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

Stopping climate change is more important than lowering bills and stopping boomers dying. Not really mysterious I don't think.

the point isnt to lower bills and stop boomers dying, the point is to massively lower energy use in the housing sector. It is a hard requirement if we're going to build a sustainable economy. "Lower bills and stop boomers dying" are nice perks that make it palateable to the people we're normally butting heads with. It should be an easy sell.

Darth Walrus posted:

Guess who the founder of Insulate Britain is?

This is part of my confusion though. I can only assume the met keep trying to explain how this works to patel, who must just keep replying "but we can kill them???"

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Spangly A posted:

the point isnt to lower bills and stop boomers dying, the point is to massively lower energy use in the housing sector. It is a hard requirement if we're going to build a sustainable economy. "Lower bills and stop boomers dying" are nice perks that make it palateable to the people we're normally butting heads with. It should be an easy sell.

This is part of my confusion though. I can only assume the met keep trying to explain how this works to patel, who must just keep replying "but we can kill them???"

That's her solution to everything

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1448279171327746051?s=20

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

therattle posted:

So Insulate Britain would be giving everyone lots of insulin.

Isnt that..fatal for non-diabetic people?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not reliably, sometimes it just sends you into a reversible coma.

They used to use it for discredited psychiatric treatments.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you have a child, nephew or niece in their teens who can reasonably be expected to test positive for covid on a regular basis so you have to stay at home?

If you're double vaxxed and someone in your house tests positive you don't need to isolate anymore.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

feedmegin posted:

Isnt that..fatal for non-diabetic people?

Depends how much is a lot and how much coke you can chug before puking, I guess

e: If someone ever tries to kill me you'd better believe there's getting a full 100 units of the good stuff. They'll probably still murder me but let me tell you they'll be having a terrible day a few hours later.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Spangly A posted:

the point isnt to lower bills and stop boomers dying, the point is to massively lower energy use in the housing sector. It is a hard requirement if we're going to build a sustainable economy.

It is a requirement when you build a green economy in order to let people stay warm, but it does nothing green in itself and may even be bad for the environment* when you do it without building a green economy, which is the current situation. It's really not the most important message an ostensibly Green movement should be going for, IMO.

*If people spend their saved electricity money on aircraft fuel, for example

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Otoh Britain's housing stock is poo poo, and combined with gas prices and utility interruptions a bunch of the people going "lol drive over insulate britain" today might be thinking "gently caress i wish someone had insulated britain" in a couple months' time.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Otoh Britain's housing stock is poo poo, and combined with gas prices and utility interruptions a bunch of the people going "lol drive over insulate britain" today might be thinking "gently caress i wish someone had insulated britain" in a couple months' time.

Eagerly awaiting the resolution of all this somehow being harsher protest laws followed by landlords being given government grants to insulate their properties that they're somehow not actually required to spend on insulation so they just get richer and tenants poorer.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

If you're double vaxxed and someone in your house tests positive you don't need to isolate anymore.

Lol, incredible. Because breakthrough cases just don't exist apparently. And there's not going to be any GPs left fit for work by the end of the year either, judging by this:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/13/englands-gps-to-be-told-to-scrap-2-metre-rule-say-reports

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

hopefully it goes on long enough for frothy gammons to start ripping the insulation out of their walls as a sick own

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

Hahaha when has the great british pissblic ever changed their minds in light of new evidence?

lol drive over insulate britain, lol do a brexit, lol vote conservative, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol, incredible. Because breakthrough cases just don't exist apparently. And there's not going to be any GPs left fit for work by the end of the year either, judging by this:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/oct/13/englands-gps-to-be-told-to-scrap-2-metre-rule-say-reports

None of the workshy fuckers are in work anyway though. Although I'm sure the locum nurses will continue to be thrown under the bus by them.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Not reliably, sometimes it just sends you into a reversible coma.

They used to use it for discredited psychiatric treatments.

It's also used by body builders and Crossfit idiots who skim-read papers suggesting it may increase muscle growth. They judge dose by downing a load of sugar then injecting until they feel dizzy, then downing a lot more sugar. This - surprisingly - isn't as dangerous as it sounds, until one of them gets hold of the slow-release type and OD 6 hours later.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Someone who's good at finances pandemics please help me budget stop it spreading...

Positive cases reported 12/10/21

Germany: 4,872
Netherlands: 2,711
Belgium: 1,594
UK: 40,224
Italy: 1,561
Ireland: 1,357
Spain: 1,277
France: 1,120

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Spray all of Britane in a thin layer of expanding foam, film the results

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

keep punching joe posted:

Someone who's good at finances pandemics please help me budget stop it spreading...

Positive cases reported 12/10/21

Germany: 4,872
Netherlands: 2,711
Belgium: 1,594
UK: 40,224
Italy: 1,561
Ireland: 1,357
Spain: 1,277
France: 1,120

Positive cases are a completely pointless comparison between countries because they're as much a factor of how many tests are being conducted as they are how many people are infected.

For comparison, deaths per million over the last 7 days:

Germany: 4.35
Netherlands: 0
Belgium: 5.57
UK: 9.59
Italy: 3.76
Ireland: 0
Spain: 3.17
France: 2.01

Even this isn't a 100% reliable comparison because of very different regimes on reporting deaths. The Netherlands in particular most definitely *do* have a massive reporting lag problem - their covid death numbers are as much as a month late. Ireland is similarly slow in reporting but their rate is almost definitely under 1 in a million.

Of course the UK is still a big outlier here, but "2-3x worse" is a very different deal than "10-40x worse".

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Positive cases are a completely pointless comparison between countries because they're as much a factor of how many tests are being conducted as they are how many people are infected.

For comparison, deaths per million over the last 7 days:

Germany: 4.35
Netherlands: 0
Belgium: 5.57
UK: 9.59
Italy: 3.76
Ireland: 0
Spain: 3.17
France: 2.01

Even this isn't a 100% reliable comparison because of very different regimes on reporting deaths. The Netherlands in particular most definitely *do* have a massive reporting lag problem - their covid death numbers are as much as a month late. Ireland is similarly slow in reporting but their rate is almost definitely under 1 in a million.

Of course the UK is still a big outlier here, but "2-3x worse" is a very different deal than "10-40x worse".

Ireland used to release the death rate on a daily basis along with how many positive cases of Covid there was.

Then the Maternity hospitals and Health Service were the victim of a cyber attack during the cyber. (Incidentally as someone who was attending maternity hospitals at the time, eat a massive bag of dicks Russian hackers.)

Since then even though months have passed, the official reason why the Covid death rate is not released daily is due to the Cyber attack. Strange that.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Since then even though months have passed, the official reason why the Covid death rate is not released daily is due to the Cyber attack. Strange that.

Personally, I find it easy to believe that a single cyber attack had permanently hosed the HSE's capacity to produce graphs

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

WOKEingham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Are these people…real? What's with the obsession with the French? It's so weird.