Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Veotax posted:

Re: the ending I figure Quite Robe did some kind of DNA editing to himself to 'survive' X infection or at least keep some semblance of his mind. He's likely one of the best scientists, otherwise why would Raven Beak kidnap him rather than someone else, and he probably had years to plan this. Whatever he did to himself likely stabilised Samus' Metroid DNA when she absorbed him too.

Probably some kind of last ditch effort just in case and not something you could rely on as an X 'cure' or whatever.

Ending talk: I have no idea what sort of mind/personality Quiet Robe X has, but the game does make it very explicit that he's a Thoha, and the Thoha genetically have some sort of power to control Metroid genes. Raven Beak's whole scheme to turn her into a Metroid was based on getting enough Mawkin into her that it'd overpower her Thoha genes. Samus getting the ability to suppress her Metroid powers by absorbing him tracks, so long as you ignore that no part of the plot involving the word "DNA" makes sense in any scientific way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

So there's still one thing about the ending I don't quite understand.

Why does X possessed Quiet Robe show up on Samus' ship and then apparently sacrifice itself? None of that makes sense. The X act solely on the instinct to "Make more of us" and nothing about that scene helps the X propagate.

As the post above me mentions, Quiet Robe has the ability to control Metroids, so Quiet Robe X basically getting Metroid Samus under control arguably makes the X safer, if there's any still out there. But also, as others have pointed out, the it could relate to his memories. The game does make a point to mention X can get memories at the very start, albeit it says from living hosts...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Epigenetics!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It's space bird magic, they ain't gotta explain poo poo

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Your Computer posted:

there are entire sections of the map(s) that are extra hidden and don't flash on the map
Could you point me in the right direction for Dairon?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

so long as you ignore that no part of the plot involving the word "DNA" makes sense in any scientific way.

This is just making me think of all the times Star Trek had plots involving evolution working in ways that don't make sense. (Namely, a predestination to turn into something or to gain certain traits.) Let's all just be glad samus doesn't turn into a metroid when she goes shinespark 10

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

snoremac posted:

Could you point me in the right direction for Dairon?

There are two spots for me where the map was no help.

E: Below is pretty explicit if these are what you're missing, so if what you want is literally just a hint: check the map. Have you seen every corner of every room you've visited, and are there any one-way doors whose other side you haven't seen, hinting at the existence of a hidden room somewhere?

Both on the right side of the area, near the purple teleportal. In the room below that one, there's a couple of hot zones that appear on the map, but in the lower right corner there's a destructible block that reveals a door to another room which does not appear on the map. There are two upgrades there. Another likely culprit is the big room a couple doors to the right of the teleportal room; there is an upgrade in the top right corner in a spot that the map autofill misses if you don't space jump up there.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 13, 2021

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the way they handled Samus being voiced was perfect. she’s not a monotone chatterbox like in other m, you only hear her voice occasionally but when she does speak it leaves an impact.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What are you talking about Other M has GREAT voice acting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fW2T7HVvfCI&t=180s

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ending: The scene of Samus going absolutely apeshit on the boss while cutting away to the city falling was comedic gold

"AAAAAAAAAAAA(Floating city wide shot) AAAAAAAAAAAAA (city catches fire) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (city starts to sink)

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would you want to wall jump if you can space jump? :v:

Wall jumping gives you more height and changes direction much faster. And a lot of those speedboost puzzles need walljumping to work.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

not clicking on that video, I’m too busy thinking about the good Metroid game

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ending: The scene of Samus going absolutely apeshit on the boss while cutting away to the city falling was comedic gold

"AAAAAAAAAAAA(Floating city wide shot) AAAAAAAAAAAAA (city catches fire) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (city starts to sink)

Im not sure if it makes the scene worse or better that they very obviously recorded only one scream and then replayed it 3 times lol

Augus fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 13, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Favorite piece of environmental storytelling has to be the weird monster you come across when you go from Dairon to Burenia. At first the room is dark and the thing appears to be very dead, but it's arm will twitch exactly once as you go past, which freaked me out. Then you restore power to the room and the machine starts zapping it and making it twitch, but it's still very dead. Then, later on, once you've fought Experiment Z-57 and go back there, the monster is gone. It's probably gone as soon as you release the X, which would be cool foreshadowing, but I'm afraid I missed that.

This is the case. I got excited when I saw (or rather didn't see) it. Reminds me of Nightmare from Fusion.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Augus posted:

Im not sure if it makes the scene worse or better that they very obviously recorded only one scream and then replayed it 3 times lol

Far better imo. just a single unbroken note for three minutes of tearing that poor bird apart. Beethoven wishes he could

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I got an amusing glitch during the last boss.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1448136205330108424?t=2HoHgg4nU6874oEQDvtS3g&s=19

He would not die no matter how much I shot him.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I'm having a very tough time with this shinespark puzzle in Cataris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2QnAl9YK0&t=555s
(about 9:15 in if the timestamp doesn't work)

Whenever I slide through that gap I just instantly lose the speed boost. I saw another method of storing a spark and space jumping up to the speed blocks but I couldn't even get halfway up trying that.

Cataris is the last zone I need for all items (well I think there might be another zone. I haven't killed the Elite Chozo Warrior yet. He was kicking my rear end so I decided to get all the items to take a break). I can't believe I actually succeeded in some of these shinespark puzzles but they are very unforgiving.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You have to jump out of the slide during coyote time.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Humerus posted:

I'm having a very tough time with this shinespark puzzle in Cataris:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ2QnAl9YK0&t=555s
(about 9:15 in if the timestamp doesn't work)

Whenever I slide through that gap I just instantly lose the speed boost. I saw another method of storing a spark and space jumping up to the speed blocks but I couldn't even get halfway up trying that.

Cataris is the last zone I need for all items (well I think there might be another zone. I haven't killed the Elite Chozo Warrior yet. He was kicking my rear end so I decided to get all the items to take a break). I can't believe I actually succeeded in some of these shinespark puzzles but they are very unforgiving.

I think you might have enough time to store before the slide and get up
Or store before the slide, slide through, activate into the ramp, and store again where the video does

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Yeah what I did was store the shine spark right before the tunnel, then slide through and refresh it using the ramp on the right

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Deceptive Thinker posted:

I think you might have enough time to store before the slide and get up
Or store before the slide, slide through, activate into the ramp, and store again where the video does

Augus posted:

Yeah what I did was store the shine spark right before the tunnel, then slide through and refresh it using the ramp on the right

Thanks! I just did it one try with that. Guess I didn't think that short ramp would "recharge" the spark. I just felt like an idiot after managing the one where you have to chain like 3 times and then failed this one repeatedly.

Crazy how many options there are for all these though.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

chumbler posted:

Ok I'm stumped on this one, in part by probably not understanding shinespark mechanics that well.

Not pictured two bomb blocks in a row off to the right on the same level as the floor I'm standing on. I don't know how you carry a shinespark from the bomb blocks all the way over to here, I lose it even with flash shifting all the way over.

This is how I got that one
https://imgur.com/a/v3G5MKa

also

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Luckily the Stealth Cloak fixes that problem entirely and turned the EMMI sequences into a much more enjoyable game of hide and seek. And now I'm fully expecting the next EMMI I meet to have X-ray vision or something.

X-ray vision AND super hearing!

Sometimes I forget just how much range the grapple beam has. The one in Axiom Verge is pathetic.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Humerus posted:

Crazy how many options there are for all these though.

That particular one instead of sliding through the tunnel I wall jumped up to the second level, wall jumped off the left wall to go back to the right, did a low jump to space jump under the overhand, and then just charged the shinespark underneath the pickup location.

I'm not sure there's many items in this game with only one solution to get.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Not because of the murder, they were just doing their job, it's because no one bothered to baptize them

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

lih posted:

like everything else in the game, the ending is clearly explained by some sort of special DNA (just something to do with it they didn't explain in game)

1950/60s understanding of genetics. Yeah, gamma rays, new plot line

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

In the theoretical sequel to this game, I fully expect a followup to the melee counter that command grabs the enemy with Samus' crab claw and sucks out all their energy.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Regarding future games and also Ending Spoilers:

So Samus has had her uncontrollable energy drain ability suppressed by absorbing Quiet Robe-X but she is still a Metroid on a genetic level I assume, so won't this make her a target for every mad scientist and Space Pirate out there?

I'm aware Ridley is extremely dead, for now, and Kraid got eaten by the X and vaporized at the end, but I'm guessing there's still the Pirates on their homeworld still.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I know it's blown up forever and ever for real we mean it but kind of surprised not to see phazon or anything at all, considering everything else is in here

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

I feel like that scene purposefully evoked what happens when a Metroid latches onto it's victim, scream and panicked flailing and all.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DTaeKim posted:

I feel like that scene purposefully evoked what happens when a Metroid latches onto it's victim, scream and panicked flailing and all.

Raven Beak forgot to get Morph Ball and Bombs when dealing with Metroids, the utter scrub.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Incredible Doomguy energy from Samus in this game.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

BisbyWorl posted:

Raven Beak forgot to get Morph Ball and Bombs when dealing with Metroids, the utter scrub.

Well this just makes me sad there wasn't a boss fight bit where they both go Morph Ball and just start smacking into each other like a game of exploding billiards

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/OtherMomo/status/1412488468316536838

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

SettingSun posted:

In the theoretical sequel to this game, I fully expect a followup to the melee counter that command grabs the enemy with Samus' crab claw and sucks out all their energy.

I feel like there's a very respectable precedent for a good melee action game where a flawlessly executed counter sets you up to OHKO your opponent and immediately recover all your energy.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Judge Tesla posted:

Regarding future games and also Ending Spoilers:

So Samus has had her uncontrollable energy drain ability suppressed by absorbing Quiet Robe-X but she is still a Metroid on a genetic level I assume, so won't this make her a target for every mad scientist and Space Pirate out there?

I'm aware Ridley is extremely dead, for now, and Kraid got eaten by the X and vaporized at the end, but I'm guessing there's still the Pirates on their homeworld still.

Could go either way depending on the story they want to tell, I think.

The only people who know Samus has Become Metroid are herself and Adam, so they could let that storyline stop there

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
There was a cutscene for a boss I got to (one of the first two, I don't remember which), where I thought I'd discovered that you can charge your shot mid cutscene because exactly as I hit the shoot button to start charging, Samus had the same idea.

I was super disappointed to learn that you can't charge during cutscenes, and that I just timed it very well by accident.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
My first 100% in a 2D Metroid:

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

They should just make it Samus's version of a devil trigger. The suit already looks like one, and her claw arm is very similar to Nero's devil bringer arm

also the game's understanding of DNA makes as much sense as magic orbs anyway

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Snake Maze posted:

The only people who know Samus has Become Metroid are herself and Adam, so they could let that storyline stop there

personally I can't imagine they'd drop it. also now they have a very convenient way to keep calling the game metroid even after all the metroids were extinct by the third game :pram:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Snake Maze posted:

I mean

The Federation doesn't know she got the cool powerup suit but they're the ones who injected her with Metroid DNA in the first place and explicitly studied her/developed a bunch of upgrades that would work with her new Metroid powers in Fusion.

also this game is predicated on the fact that Samus being the last carrier of Metroid DNA is so widely known that someone leaked something on social media to lure her into a trap so he could get it.