Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

God specific corruption seems like a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've always liked Chaos, the only thing is that you have to balance them always being a threat without actually winning, which is why the End Times was such a gently caress up.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

kujeger posted:

up until end times, weren't chaos kind of being beaten back in warhammer fantasy?

Yes, which was one of the best parts of the Post-Storm of Chaos setting. Chaos's utter inability to advance or improve has rendered it increasingly ineffective against the Empire's combination of developing technology, improved infrastructure and better diplomatic alliances. When Archaon marshaled a vast host of Chaos, Elves Men and Dwarfs united in a desperate alliance to save the world. And Chaos bounced off of it, barely making it past Kislev. And now, the forces of Order are sitting around asking "What Now?" Chaos was still a threat this time, though barely, but if the pattern continues the next Everchosen is going to find machine gun nests and howitzer artillery despite still leading an army of guys in plate armor and naked daemons. Can the Empire hang together without Chaos being an actual threat? Will the alliances with the Elves and Dwarfs stay strong when it's not needed to save the world? And it all led into setting up the Undead as the next big bad rather than Chaos. And (although I know Warhammer Fantasy proper would never visit the topic), what better antagonist for a coming World War 1 era Empire, than one who can animate the dying fields?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

kujeger posted:

up until end times, weren't chaos kind of being beaten back in warhammer fantasy?

Kind of? There were, prior to the End Times, four main huge in-setting Chaos invasions.
  • One thousands of years ago of a gigantic daemon horde against the elves and lizardmen, which ended when the elves made the vortex and stopped daemons from manifesting permanently in the real world forever as long as the vortex is intact.
  • One at the founding of the Empire, where human Sigmar united a bunch of human tribes and smashed a Chaos fueled Norscan invasion at Middenheim.
  • One a couple hundred years ago relative to present day, where a huge horde of Chaos Warriors/Beastmen rolled south under the leadership of an everchosen named Asavar Kul. This one got smashed by an emperor named Magnus the Pious, who united the then-warring factions of the Empire into a big ol' army and marched north to save Kislev. Asavar Kul died, which is what opened the door for our buddy Archaon.
  • The Storm of Chaos, which was Archaon's first big ol' invasion against Kislev and the Empire, which stalled out at Middenheim and then Grimgor showed up and punched Archaon in the head and hosed off.

There's some in-setting fluff about how even if Chaos is defeated, the Chaos Wastes advance a little farther south every time, but generally the history of Chaos is "they form a big horde and march south until they get broken at Praag in Kislev or Middenheim". The Old World wasn't getting beaten by Chaos but they also weren't exactly pushing Chaos towards ultimate extinction, either, it was more of a stasis thing. Theoretically the Empire's advancing technology might have given them more and more of an edge, but Chaos cultists could probably figure out how to use machine guns just as well as Sigmarites, so you might just end up with a WWI trench nightmare in the north or something.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AnEdgelord posted:

If people want to know more about the mythical Sun Wukong (The Monkey King) then this should help:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDb22nlVXGgdg_NR_-GtTrMnbMVmtSSXa

this is a good summary too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAWxoKUKOaA

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My first playthrough? Yamcha, of course

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Sinteres posted:

God specific corruption seems like a thing.

I noticed that, too. I wonder how it'll be mechanically different than regular Chaos Undivided corruption, which is still present.

Hopefully they'll have unique appearances on the map!

Khorne: Red spikes, blood and lava
Nurgle: Green goo, buzzing flies
Tzeentch: Blue and purple tentacles. Eyes
Slaanesh: I don't know, pink fleshy masses? Gaudy colors? It's hard to say how a region owned by Slaanesh changes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

William Bear posted:

I noticed that, too. I wonder how it'll be mechanically different than regular Chaos Undivided corruption, which is still present.

Hopefully they'll have unique appearances on the map!

Khorne: Red spikes, blood and lava
Nurgle: Green goo, buzzing flies
Tzeentch: Blue and purple tentacles. Eyes
Slaanesh: I don't know, pink fleshy masses? Gaudy colors? It's hard to say how a region owned by Slaanesh changes.
Slaanesh: Everything gets one titty. Every man, building, mountain, tree.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Kanos posted:

so you might just end up with a WWI trench nightmare in the north or something.

i want this.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

Kanos posted:

Kind of? There were, prior to the End Times, four main huge in-setting Chaos invasions.
  • One thousands of years ago of a gigantic daemon horde against the elves and lizardmen, which ended when the elves made the vortex and stopped daemons from manifesting permanently in the real world forever as long as the vortex is intact.
  • One at the founding of the Empire, where human Sigmar united a bunch of human tribes and smashed a Chaos fueled Norscan invasion at Middenheim.
  • One a couple hundred years ago relative to present day, where a huge horde of Chaos Warriors/Beastmen rolled south under the leadership of an everchosen named Asavar Kul. This one got smashed by an emperor named Magnus the Pious, who united the then-warring factions of the Empire into a big ol' army and marched north to save Kislev. Asavar Kul died, which is what opened the door for our buddy Archaon.
  • The Storm of Chaos, which was Archaon's first big ol' invasion against Kislev and the Empire, which stalled out at Middenheim and then Grimgor showed up and punched Archaon in the head and hosed off.

There's some in-setting fluff about how even if Chaos is defeated, the Chaos Wastes advance a little farther south every time, but generally the history of Chaos is "they form a big horde and march south until they get broken at Praag in Kislev or Middenheim". The Old World wasn't getting beaten by Chaos but they also weren't exactly pushing Chaos towards ultimate extinction, either, it was more of a stasis thing. Theoretically the Empire's advancing technology might have given them more and more of an edge, but Chaos cultists could probably figure out how to use machine guns just as well as Sigmarites, so you might just end up with a WWI trench nightmare in the north or something.

This isn't completely accurate just in that there have been significantly more than just four huge Chaos invasions, Notably Archaeon was the *thirteenth* Everchosen, though that's just more evidence that it's been more or less a stalemate on the grand level for a while.

There's even been some massive Chaos invasions that were led by champions of specific gods that weren't Everchosen, including my favorite that I hope make it into the game someday, Tamurkhan, because who doesn't love a giant evil body-snatching maggot?

Honestly, given that there seems to have been a Chaos invasion of The Empire every couple hundred years or so, plus invasions by Greenskins from the South, armies of Undead, it's amazing that the Empire has managed to build anything of note at all without being at 40k levels of "There is only war"

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

kujeger posted:

Yes, Chaos was actually not very successful outside of its few Northern invasions and occasional incursions into Ulthuan backing the Dark Elves. It's also why the Storm of Chaos event ended up being such a joke: Chaos got top billing as this endgame threat, but lost every battle and came off as clownish buffoons maggooing their way past Kislev into Middenheim, only because the clear writer favoritism, and the funniest poo poo is still when Grimgor loving sucker punches Archeaon and says "He's da Best at Wot he Duz!" Before laughing in Archaeon's face and loving back off to the Badlands

It's why End Times was so loving stupid: it was just GW doing Storm of Chaos without any pesky fan input. The Skaven suddenly stop infighting and end the Lizardmen, most of the human kingdoms, and Dawi by themselves, Chaos hordes that couldn't beat loving Middenheim suddenly defeat the massive combined forces of Order and Undeath, and the Elves all get utterly shafted along with Tomb Kings and Brettonia.

Warhammer fantasy in stark contrast to 40k was in ways about the theme about while things are dark, the world can get better, and had the grim optimism throughout it's run until GW decided to just blow up the world to sell new model lines. As someone who grew up reading High Elf lore in particular, the very idea that all the Phoenix Kings were imposters and loving Dr. Doom of the Dark Elves is actually the rightful king, despite being still evil as gently caress, was particularly galling and made me stop caring about the setting at all, until TW came out.

I also agree with the poster who said the Undead were far more of a threat to the Empire, as the Vampire Counts were way more successful in their invasions than Chaos ever was. Even the Skaven and the Dark Elves were more of an ever present threat than the disorganized Norscan Chaos Hordes for gently caress sake

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 13, 2021

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Arghy is a huge Endtimes fan, ask him if you guys need any info

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TulliusCicero posted:

Yes, Chaos was actually not very successful outside of its few Northern invasions and occasional incursions into Ulthuan backing the Dark Elves. It's also why the Storm of Chaos event ended up being such a joke: Chaos got top billing as this endgame threat, but lost every battle and came off as clownish buffoons maggooing their way past Kislev into Middenheim, only because the clear writer favoritism, and the funniest poo poo is still when Grimgor loving sucker punches Archeaon and says "He's da Best at Wot he Duz!" Before laughing in Archaeon's face and loving back off to the Badlands

It's why End Times was so loving stupid: it was just GW doing Storm of Chaos without any pesky fan input. The Skaven suddenly stop infighting and end the Lizardmen, most of the human kingdoms, and Dawi by themselves, Chaos hordes that couldn't beat loving Middenheim suddenly defeat the massive combined forces of Order and Undeath, and the Elves all get utterly shafted along with Tomb Kings and Brettonia.

Warhammer fantasy in stark contrast to 40k was in ways about the theme about while things are dark, the world can get better, and had the grim optimism throughout it's run until GW decided to just blow up the world to sell new model lines. As someone who grew up reading High Elf lore in particular, the very idea that all the Phoenix Kings were imposters and loving Dr. Doom of the Dark Elves is actually the rightful king, despite being still evil as gently caress, was particularly galling and made me stop caring about the setting at all, until TW came out.

I also agree with the poster who said the Undead were far more of a threat to the Empire, as the Vampire Counts were way more successful in their invasions than Chaos ever was. Even the Skaven and the Dark Elves were more of an ever present threat than the disorganized Norscan Chaos Hordes for gently caress sake
The writers loved chaos so much that they had Grimgor punk Archaon, yep, no two decades of nerd telephone here

The subsequent two editions and decade of removing everything remotely interesting about chaos is further proof that they’re the Mary Sue faction

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Let's get into a real question. How many of my fellow skaven lovers also had/have pet rats?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Chaos had the dual problems of being a mechanically bad army that didn't sell terribly well but also being a setting fixture that had to be addressed consistently. So as Edgar said.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The writers loved chaos so much that they had Grimgor punk Archaon, yep, no two decades of nerd telephone here

The subsequent two editions and decade of removing everything remotely interesting about chaos is further proof that they’re the Mary Sue faction
The other poor selling armies (usually also because they were mechanically bad or didnt get updated) like Tomb Kings and Bretonia could just coast on old lore or stuff from the rpgs, while the main wargame ignores them for editions at a time. Unfortunately as the main antagonist chaos had to be mentioned with each update even if no one played them and GW had no interest in them. So they'd get blander and blander descriptions of how they were "Super strong" which fans decided meant GW loved them instead of just not giving a poo poo about them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Let's get into a real question. How many of my fellow skaven lovers also had/have pet rats?

And how many have they gone through since the release of TWW1

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

Skaven is my favorite faction to play and I had two wonderful pet rats growing up!

For the Horned Rat!
https://i.imgur.com/s2i148R.mp4

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Once again, there is only one faction GW loves and thats Space Marines

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

AnEdgelord posted:

Once again, there is only one faction GW loves and thats Space Marines

But only the right sorts of Space Marines, those other ones well, they're okay we guess.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

Chaos had the dual problems of being a mechanically bad army that didn't sell terribly well but also being a setting fixture that had to be addressed consistently. So as Edgar said.

The other poor selling armies (usually also because they were mechanically bad or didnt get updated) like Tomb Kings and Bretonia could just coast on old lore or stuff from the rpgs, while the main wargame ignores them for editions at a time. Unfortunately as the main antagonist chaos had to be mentioned with each update even if no one played them and GW had no interest in them. So they'd get blander and blander descriptions of how they were "Super strong" which fans decided meant GW loved them instead of just not giving a poo poo about them.

What made Chaos bad in WHFB? On paper, their units seemed nasty. Were there rules that offset that?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Dandywalken posted:

What made Chaos bad in WHFB? On paper, their units seemed nasty. Were there rules that offset that?

I'm pretty sure they had to be summoned in, and could be unsummoned due to leadership damage, so you didn't even get all your army on the field at the start, some of them might never arrive, and those that do could leave.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

As an Animosity roller, I can relate :(

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Lord_Magmar posted:

I'm pretty sure they had to be summoned in, and could be unsummoned due to leadership damage, so you didn't even get all your army on the field at the start, some of them might never arrive, and those that do could leave.

From the few present-day WHFB videos I've seen, I'm led to believe it was Daemons and Beastmen who were trash. Warriors from what I understand were actually pretty good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Blooming Brilliant posted:

From the few present-day WHFB videos I've seen, I'm led to believe it was Daemons and Beastmen who were trash. Warriors from what I understand were actually pretty good.

Yeah I was specifically talking about Demons because they're what's about to be relevant in WH3 and generally when Chaos is meant to be getting all the focus it's the demons not the warriors who start "moving and shaking".

The Chaos Warriors themselves could be a lot more interesting if they ever really worked on how different Chaos Gods would be worshipped, but that's the sort of thing that requires time effort and care, as well as multiple rulesets, something which can only go to Space Marines.

But in the tabletop from what I know yeah, Chaos Warriors got good statlines, got good abilities from worshipping the gods, got good magic, they just had pretty good everything. In comparison Beastmen were weak and Chaos Demons had ability fuckery as I detailed with the summoning and desummoning poo poo.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Serephina posted:

Just out of curiosity, how does a chaos god of order work exactly? Those are literally opposite terms in the English language.

edit:

Quoting myself here since I didn't get answers. Just had another derp-fest where I *could not* get anyone to fight in a reasonable manner up there. Please send help.

Units facing inwards on a wall have to deal with min range and LoS, it's absurdly buggy unless they're targeting something far away. Combat takes long because you often only have 4 models fighting at a time that's why the towers are better than ladders because they dump far more models unto the wall. Depending on the map keeping a mobile reserve in the middle if you wanna contest the walls helps but an easy way is to give them the walls and shoot them as they loiter on the walls then funnel them in choke points. This doesn't work to well with some races, dawi for example you wanna keep those towers firing because you're killing power is weak. Every race has a preferred way of defending sieges. The gatehouse itself will never be destroyed but if it is also acting as a tower like in some maps, destroying it will stop it from shooting.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I honestly just think they started writing Chaos as the Unstoppable Big Bad because it's lazy and really easy tbh, not because of favoritism

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Dandywalken posted:

Chaos Warriors were slow heavy infantry. While they were the best core infantry, they were also expensive. And it was not very hard to beat them. Any war machine was killing chaos warriors about as effectively as skavenslaves, since a S6 hit kills T4 warriors on a 2+, same as T2 wimps, and it was easy to get S8-10 templates. And even if you dropped 300 points on a unit of 20 chaos warriors, it could still be tarpit the entire game by a mob of chaff, or beaten in melee by swordmasters, or shot apart by gunners, or hit by a save-or-die spell. And sure, you could bring your 40ppm Chaos Knights with a 1+ save and an actually good movement speed. But they still have all the same weaknesses

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Southpaugh posted:

Nah Cathay will have its shady underbelly just like everyone else in Hams. There will probably be some kind of theme of stagnation and decline to go along with the warring egos of the dragon emperors kids.

Note: You may be reading white dwarf or the Cathay army book 5 years from now before you see it hinted at.

No they won't, because a big part of the point of Cathay is to bring in Chinese players and market share, and alluding to a shady underbelly in any significant way that might encourage reconsidering the dominant regime is a good way for the censors to look at you funny.

There will be no downside to 5000 years of harmonious draconic stewardship. For gently caress's sake the initial press release even tacitly acknowledges the literal nonsense that is 5000 years of Chinese history.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 13, 2021

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
chaos is the stereotypical Great Enemy To Western Civilization. they're irrationally violent, they're treacherous and have conspirators, they're gross, and they're degenerate, and their gods are all satanic and evil. scary hordes of death vikings. very aesthetically loaded , also somewhat orientalzed. the solution is to maintain the martial virtues, the people that can not/do not are liable to grow tentacles and become so dumb and goddamn stupid, eventually joining the rest of the political cartoon caricatures in the north to plot to destroy the West.

trying to make sense of them without recognizing that they're plot devices pulled out of the larger Western meta mythology is futile cuz they basically make no sense at all.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.
As someone who played Chaos waaay back in the day because they looked like the cover to a heavy metal album, yeah they weren't that great. In fact a lot of the evil armies had a ton of drawbacks. I seem to remember orcs could suddenly stop following orders and charge their own units, and Skaven had to make rolls to avoid having their machines blow up and kill entire units. It's the kind of stuff that was both funny and appropriate in lore, but when you were fighting armies that didn't have any of that bullshit it really could kill the fun.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

DaysBefore posted:

It really is remarkable how extremely high quality TEB is. Tech tree is kinda lame but I adore everything else (except for having to start so close to Grimgrog!!!)

A well kitted Borgio will tie up Grimgor long enough that you can get a morale rout. Borgio with a duellist hero support will absolutely dumpster Grimgrog

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Beastmen were just never updated so their mechanics didn't match the game in later editions. Like you'd have some army options that used to do thing but no longer had any mechanical effect in the new edition. Also they weren't fast enough for how bad they were at absorbing missile fire.

Chaos demons had a huge number of random elements that made them essentially a coin toss army where your units could just die because of a die roll before the game even started.

Warriors were the only consistently updated army book and as a result the best ones mechanically. Unfortunately they but were still pretty boring to play (see the roster in TW1) and had the eye of the gods rule which both forced you to accept all challenges and had a chance to randomly kill your character as a "reward" for winning those challenges. Some of these issues were addressed by their very last army book but the damage had already been done for a lot of people's perception of them.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

No they won't, because a big part of the point of Cathay is to bring in Chinese players and market share, and alluding to a shady underbelly in any significant way that might encourage reconsidering the dominant regime is a good way for the censors to look at you funny.

There will be no downside to 5000 years of harmonious draconic stewardship. For gently caress's sake the initial press release even tacitly acknowledges the literal nonsense that is 5000 years of Chinese history.

I’m not sure this is the case. Games based on the Romance of the Three Kingdoms, where the corrupt Chinese government is challenged by religious revolt and overthrown from within, then torn apart by civil war with morally ambiguous factions, are obviously huge in China. And palace intrigue dramas set in decadent dynastic historical settings are the most popular tv genre in the PRC.

Censorship is a thing, but it’s going to be based on the arbitrary whims of some random low-level bureaucrat, not because ersatz Imperial China isn’t portrayed as flawless.

Of course, who knows what CA/GW think, and they may have decided that flawless Cathay is the best way to appeal to Chinese consumers, but I doubt they’ve done a ton of market research.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

If it wasn't obvious before, Ogres are pretty much confirmed as the preorder race

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I imagine that the PRC has little interest in defending Imperial China, in fact I think their official histories blame the Qing just as much as the west for the Century of Humiliation.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Mantis42 posted:

If it wasn't obvious before, Ogres are pretty much confirmed as the preorder race

I don’t think so. They could be a non playable placeholder faction, for example.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mantis42 posted:

I think they said the preorder race hasn't yet been seen which kind of rules Ogres out, but no doubt they're in the game regardless

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Captain Oblivious posted:

No, no I don't think so.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

ThingOne posted:

I can't wait to play Cathay Trail.

"You have died of dysentery" will, I assume, be a euphemism for being disemboweled by a warpstone-addled Skaven assassin. Seriously, if CA misses the opportunity to sprinkle Oregon Trail references here I will have lost all faith in humanity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mantis42 posted:

This got me wondering about the fact that the term "homeland" is used there. I wonder if they will be making any sort of distinction in game 3 instead of just being able to inhabit specific climates e.g. Norsca can only get their normal settlement buildings in their Chaos Waste climate zone but that gets interrupted by the Kraka Drak Mountain climate province which feels really weird on ME that the terrain is painted the same but because some of it is flagged as "Mountains" while the rest is flagged as "Chaos Waste" and Norsca can only have normal settlements in Chaos Waste.

If they add a "homeland" mechanic where all of that is "Norscan homeland", Norsca could conquer Kraka Drak's Mountain climate and still have normal settlements there but could not conquer more southerly mountains.