Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

He’s a doctor of philosophy lol
Music informatics actually, PhD covers many fields. Not that it matters, even competent people would fail to salvage SC with that kind of management.

:crobear: struggling with networking

https://v.redd.it/5sfdun7u14t71/DASH_720.mp4

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Drakkel posted:

Has Chris Roberts ever played an MMO or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone whose never touched an MMO would look at the concept of shards/servers and be like "That's stupid, they should just put all the players together" without ever considering that there might be technical reasons that MMOs do that.

I feel like "technical reasons" are complete mystery to most idea guys I've worked with. It usually goes like:
:v: let's do it like this :wavyhands:
:hmmno: for these reasons A B C and D, we should really do it this other way, everybody else does it this way
:v: They are just stupid/lazy/big corporation with no vision, my imagined way will be a lot cooler and better
-- 3 or more years of money burnt later --
:v: well, our solution is slow, hard to make changes to, interacts really badly with rest of software and is confusing for our users, let's do it like everybody else does
:hmmno: ... no poo poo

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dwesa posted:

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Star Citizen was meant to have thousands of players interacting with each other in real time through server meshing. Star Citizen was always meant to have 50 player instances or shards with players not interacting with each other.

Also this awkward thing:
:reddit: Tony Z talks as fast as he does because he perceives time at half the rate we do

When I see that Tony G picture I think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArjqP1M2_s

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Star Citizen has reached an important milestone for me posted:

Yesterday I called in my Nomad, placed a backpack full of stuff onto the Kitchen counter with the tractor beam.
Then I parked the Nomad in front of the NB garage, and drove a Dragonfly onto it.

Then I flew half way to MIC-1, and bed-logged.

I did some work, and came back to Star Citizen an hour later. 'Lo and behold I woke up back in the ship, and checked inside the backpack. Everything is still there, the way I left it.
Looked out onto the cargo bay, Dragonfly still there.

"gently caress yes", I thought happily to myself.

This might not seem like much to most. But this changes everything. This little unassuming backpack will change the gaming industry.

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:
I have to hand it to the wanna-be gamedevs working for Chris. If you can sucker Chris for a couple years for rent, titles, and such; that is not the worst play in the world.

What I am trying to say is it's scams all the way down.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Yes to everything but also no to everything.

Two players with LTI can alternate salvaging each othes' chariots for infinite resources anyways. No need to kill each other.

Honestly, this legitimately is a problem - if players can recover their lost items either for free or anything less than what a new item sells for, and someone can fully loot those items, then the economy is immediately broken. People absolutely will farm each other for ships and items. Full loot and lifetime insurance are completely incompatible, unless you compromise one of them heavily.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Virtual Captain posted:

I have to hand it to the wanna-be gamedevs working for Chris. If you can sucker Chris for a couple years for rent, titles, and such; that is not the worst play in the world.

What about afterward? Would other employers in the game industry take a resume with CIG on it seriously?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Honestly, this legitimately is a problem - if players can recover their lost items either for free or anything less than what a new item sells for, and someone can fully loot those items, then the economy is immediately broken. People absolutely will farm each other for ships and items. Full loot and lifetime insurance are completely incompatible, unless you compromise one of them heavily.

It's classic dreams.txt, exactly equivalent to "in my MMO, everyone will get a free mount. Back it on Kickstarter"

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Obviously the solution is to have the expensive ships bind on pickup.

That Idris? it's soulbound to xxHanSolo1488xx !

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

William Bear posted:

What about afterward? Would other employers in the game industry take a resume with CIG on it seriously?

Depends on what they did. I watched the 400i commercial the other day, and the production quality is still good. I could see putting that on a sizzle real.

If you were the lead of network design, on the other hand...

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

William Bear posted:

as opposed to working for free at myCoolStudio.net which nobody has or will ever hear of; I doubt many employers would know much or care.

Virtual Captain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 13, 2021

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Depends on what they did. I watched the 400i commercial the other day, and the production quality is still good. I could see putting that on a sizzle real.

If you were the lead of network design, on the other hand...

That's a fair point. Some elements of Star Citizen are competently done. We mock the look of the spaceships, but they're as good looking as they can be, given the bland art direction.

Plus, if I were a hiring manager, I'd call in an ex-CIG guy for an interview every time, even if it was just to hear what crazy stories they had.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

William Bear posted:

Plus, if I were a hiring manager, I'd call in an ex-CIG guy for an interview every time, even if it was just to hear what crazy stories they had.

If someone took an hour of my time for some garbage like that I’d start refusing interviews that they scheduled.

But definitely summarize that poo poo in an email.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

trucutru posted:

Obviously the solution is to have the expensive ships bind on pickup.

That Idris? it's soulbound to xxHanSolo1488xx !

I'm looking forward to everyone in the galaxy having their own "stolen" Idris due to people gaming the system, but yeah, it's much more likely they'll just make them unstealable. Gotta cater to the whales, not the scrubs who didn't pay money.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Captain posted:

The most positive thing you can say about CIG is that at least they employ a lot of people. It's kind of like the New Deal except we don't get anything useful out of it like public parks or infrastructure.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm looking forward to everyone in the galaxy having their own "stolen" Idris due to people gaming the system, but yeah, it's much more likely they'll just make them unstealable. Gotta cater to the whales, not the scrubs who didn't pay money.

CIG is going to introduce ship licenses at some point as a "fix". You either have to earn it in game by spending hundreds of hours grinding or you can purchase the license to be able to fly an Idris.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Just stop bitching and buy another Idris to replace the one stolen, what are you, poor?

Bill Decker
Jan 5, 2020

Mirificus posted:

Then I flew half way to MIC-1, and bed-logged.
I also bed-logged last night but it's not something I'd boast about on the internet.

.random
May 7, 2007

Popete posted:

CIG is going to introduce ship licenses at some point as a "fix". You either have to earn it in game by spending hundreds of hours grinding or you can purchase the license to be able to fly an Idris.

Imagine the emergent gameplay of being able to set up a blockade and having all space ships traveling on the space road have to submit to an inspection to see if they’ve been stolen or are transporting stolen goods. Players could spend their entire space lives just constructing the space blockades around the ‘verse or being head of a repo company, hard-nosed negotiating how much you’ll pay the insurance companies for their lost-ships contracts - “15000 UEC PER AND NOT A CREDIT MORE!!!” - and hiring other space poors to man the space checkpoints, looking for the stolen ships.

The core gameplay loops to support this are practically there already.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
I'm guessing there really is a push by investors to make CIG or Turbulent or whoever actually make something, otherwise why collapse the waveform on server meshing? I'm surprised they even used the word shard. I mean I think they tried to make the presentation as confusing as possible to mislead people, but I think the cat's out of the bag now. Then again, it's citizens we're dealing with.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Free armor and weapons in landing zones
https://v.redd.it/31m2bjs0w8t71/DASH_1080.mp4

incredible. this sort of emergent gameplay is only possible in the Verse.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

L. Ron Hoover posted:

I'm guessing there really is a push by investors to make CIG or Turbulent or whoever actually make something, otherwise why collapse the waveform on server meshing? I'm surprised they even used the word shard. I mean I think they tried to make the presentation as confusing as possible to mislead people, but I think the cat's out of the bag now. Then again, it's citizens we're dealing with.

They're still trying to walk a fine line where they don't rule out the giant thousand player space battles as promised in the past but they're clearly going with regular old instancing like any other MMO. I doubt they'll even get instancing to work since they have so much trouble with even 50 players to a server currently. The game is a huge mess and they're only just now 10 years in admitting they have to use instances and they're doing it in a game engine that was never designed for it.

Admitting to using instances is also getting Citizens to ask questions like "well how will that work when my outpost is on 1 shard and I'm on another?" and "what about the coffee cup I dropped in this shard?" which of course CIG has no answer for but it's fun to watch people maybe slowly start to realize that grandiose open world persistence is out the window.

Popete fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 13, 2021

IAbsolveMyself
Feb 9, 2020
The mood of the citizenry seems different than the previous low points (2015 Star Marine debacle, 2017 content drought, 2018-19 radio silence). Many citizens are questioning the dream for the first time, and the hardcore cultists seem increasingly desperate. I'm not saying this is the ELE, but I'm not sure we've seen this before.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
There's no way in hell that 'carrier' (more like a landing craft or something) is going to be able to seamlessly store other ships on it with the way collision works in this game. It could literally take you hours to get three crafts on one of those things.

If they existed at all, of course

William Bear posted:

Don't be like one of those peasants who buys their missile launchers off the rack. :smuggo:

Seems like a standardized missile system would be the best so that you can always buy missiles for it or upgrade it. A bespoke missile system would shoot two 'special' missiles full of confetti and then can never be armed again or some poo poo

JammyB posted:

Really disappointed, I went for a job interview at CIG recently, applying for a cloud engineer role. Despite 5+ years experience working with AWS and Kubenetes they only chatted to me about the weather then said I wasn't a good fit.

i look at clouds a lot so I think i'm a LITTLE more qualified than you, no offense

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Drakkel posted:

Has Chris Roberts ever __________ a[n] __________ or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone who hase never touched a[n] __________ would look at the concept of __________ and be like "That's stupid, they should just __________" without ever considering that there might be __________ reasons that __________ do that.

Pff. You really need to cover up your lazy use of some online “CI¬G mad libs” post generator. :cheeky:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Tippis posted:

quote:

Has Chris Roberts ever __________ a[n] __________ or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone who hase never touched a[n] __________ would look at the concept of __________ and be like "That's stupid, they should just __________" without ever considering that there might be __________ reasons that __________ do that.

Pff. You really need to cover up your lazy use of some online “CI¬G mad libs” post generator. :cheeky:

Has Chris Roberts ever tickled a[n] marine biologist or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone who hase never touched a[n] JPEG would look at the concept of scams and be like "That's stupid, they should just open a Kickstarter " without ever considering that there might be "waves hands around" reasons that bears do that.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Rotten Red Rod posted:

You're probably right, seeing as if Star Citizen ever actually manages to solve the riddle of "what is 'released?'", it'll be so far in the future that the only people still working at CIG will be entrenched diehards with similar mindsets to the whales.

But god, it would be so much better if the very first thing CIG did after Star Citizen escapes into the wild was to just gently caress over all of the whales with a hearty "We already have your money, no refunds" and made literally everything they paid for easy to get and/or totally loving useless. I'm sure it would still be a terrible failure as a game, but it would be a heartwarming moment of grace at the very end of a long con.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

William Bear posted:

I mean it's all horribly generic and terribly optimised but the art and modelling people aren't doing a terrible job. Assuming they can get a spaceship or a tube of toothpaste past the eleven person committee - all of which are Chris Roberts in a series of fake moustaches - it does look pretty good.

Everyone else is hosed though

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
One of the guys didn't like the toothpaste. I think it was Chrinsp Romberts. Sorry

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Also Christopher Bob seemed very distracted by some white powder in his moustache. It a fail from him.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
"vitamins...good for me...vitamins" he murmured into his fake moustache

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IAbsolveMyself posted:

The mood of the citizenry seems different than the previous low points (2015 Star Marine debacle, 2017 content drought, 2018-19 radio silence). Many citizens are questioning the dream for the first time, and the hardcore cultists seem increasingly desperate. I'm not saying this is the ELE, but I'm not sure we've seen this before.

That's because it's just October and the big sale is in November. If the sale is a dud then you can start talking about a different mood.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

Dude, why doxx me?

Just glad you did not use the clips of me dancing on the Titanic ..... that became a low point in my life.

Yeah but I enjoyed it. :dogtits:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Bumble He posted:

that was really esrly days right when chris said there will be command ships who will give orders to their fleet.
everyone imagined some homeworld-like strategy layer on top of the action.

Novaspectra
Jan 20, 2020
Star Citizen making history by being the first game ever to enter 'maintenance mode' before it's even been released.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Drakkel posted:

Has Chris Roberts ever played an MMO or had anything to do with one? Cause it does seem pretty fitting that someone whose never touched an MMO would look at the concept of shards/servers and be like "That's stupid, they should just put all the players together" without ever considering that there might be technical reasons that MMOs do that.

Imagine not being involved in technology since the 90's, and somebody who didn't understand cloud computing told you about cloud computing.

.random
May 7, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Imagine not being involved in technology since the 90's, and somebody who didn't understand cloud computing told you about cloud computing.

So what I hear you saying is that we need to spend all of our time and effort on “clouds,” eh?

<<<fast forward 10 years>>>

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

.random posted:

So what I hear you saying is that we need to spend all of our time and effort on “clouds,” eh?

<<<fast forward 10 years>>>

:pusheen:

even assuming they're actually coding things now: even gotta wonder what % of the CI(G) budget was literally wasted.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Yeah but I enjoyed it. :dogtits:

There was no consent before you made us both go down! You just plowed into it! I took my last breath and got too wet!

Ok, I still kind of like it though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

They're still trying to walk a fine line where they don't rule out the giant thousand player space battles as promised in the past but they're clearly going with regular old instancing like any other MMO. I doubt they'll even get instancing to work since they have so much trouble with even 50 players to a server currently. The game is a huge mess and they're only just now 10 years in admitting they have to use instances and they're doing it in a game engine that was never designed for it.

Admitting to using instances is also getting Citizens to ask questions like "well how will that work when my outpost is on 1 shard and I'm on another?" and "what about the coffee cup I dropped in this shard?" which of course CIG has no answer for but it's fun to watch people maybe slowly start to realize that grandiose open world persistence is out the window.

Yeah but on the bright side just imagine how fun those "find the hidden wine glass my poor plebs" game is when suddenly the universe is also full of parallel universes! Only one has the wine glass!

Not to mention the inevitable excitement of traveling with a crew and your ship loads into a different place than you do, or members of your party.

But I'm sure CIG can figure all this out in another 20 years. Early day.