Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

AlbieQuirky posted:

Well, which Catholics are we going to believe? These Catholics, or the Catholic knights who brought him back to Spain in chains?

Or Catholic Priest Bartolome de las Casas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

"You’re unable to view this Tweet because this account owner limits who can view their Tweets"

This seems like a new feature. Chracter of the day/week trying not be the CotD/W?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fisheaters.com is a "traditional Catholic" forum and among its traditions is being wildly antiSemitic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Fisheaters.com is a "traditional Catholic" forum and among its traditions is being wildly antiSemitic.

You didn’t need to say it twice.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm told that it's canon that in the Soviet Union prejudice against mutants was almost nonexistent.

:lol: when I think of Soviet Russia, I think of a land of ethnic tolerance.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Arivia posted:

You didn’t need to say it twice.

Yeah, and I named the wrong forum. Catholic Answers is also a traditionalist Catholic forum.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm told that it's canon that in the Soviet Union prejudice against mutants was almost nonexistent.

Like Colossus could just stroll around Leningrad with iron skin and no one would care but if he did the same in an American city people would probably try, and fail, to lynch him.

That'd be interesting if so because in the current run of x-men stories Russia is one of the most openly hostile places to mutants.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disproportionation posted:

That'd be interesting if so because in the current run of x-men stories Russia is one of the most openly hostile places to mutants.

Maybe they just looked at what's happened in IRL life in Russia and thought they'd write it in, but with mutants.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah that’s funny because Catholic priests were some of the first to point out the explorers were treating the natives like poo poo

They are like “we are trying to convert them but they keep working them to death?!?!?”

Like it got the Jesuits kicked out of South America. Which the natives did not like

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Like Colossus could just stroll around Leningrad with iron skin and no one would care but if he did the same in an American city people would probably try, and fail, to lynch him.

And you are using giant sentient robots to lynch mutants!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:lol: when I think of Soviet Russia, I think of a land of ethnic tolerance.

Soviet Russia was likely better about it than modern Russia. I visited relatives there a while back and...uh...they're pretty racist over there

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Skwirl posted:

X-Men have a complicated relationship with being a a gay metaphor.
X-Men 2 is not exactly subtle with this

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember in rock band 2 one of the face options looked like Stallone so we made a default house band of Cobra, Rambo, Demolition Man, and Rocky called Sly And The Family Stallone that guests could use during parties.
Superb!

kdrudy posted:

Where's the sickos and lady liberty?
She's a powerful symbol, you don't want to overuse her.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Jesuits were dicks to me in Sid Meier’s Pirates.

I know I should forgive them for that because it’s a fictional representation and, well, I was committing acts of piracy, but it’s tough.

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Maybe they just looked at what's happened in IRL life in Russia and thought they'd write it in, but with mutants.

Yeah to be fair they aren't particularly subtle about it; same thing with the Brazilian and UK governments also being antagonistic for example.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah that’s funny because Catholic priests were some of the first to point out the explorers were treating the natives like poo poo

They are like “we are trying to convert them but they keep working them to death?!?!?”

Like it got the Jesuits kicked out of South America. Which the natives did not like

tbf they were also some of the first to point out it was fine to enslave and kill natives because it was better to convert them on their deathbeds to be sure they died Christian than to put any effort into helping them in life. Also to enslave Black people because *misinterprets the Curse of Ham on purpose"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Disproportionation posted:

Yeah to be fair they aren't particularly subtle about it; same thing with the Brazilian and UK governments also being antagonistic for example.

Phil: Oi Cap'n Bri'n, you a mutie?
Captain Britain: I don't know, Phil; are you a POLISH NURSE?!?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

tbf they were also some of the first to point out it was fine to enslave and kill natives because it was better to convert them on their deathbeds to be sure they died Christian than to put any effort into helping them in life. Also to enslave Black people because *misinterprets the Curse of Ham on purpose"

I mean yeah they weren’t a monolithic if block and even the ones that supported the natives were still pretty racist against them, just more in a white mans burden sort of way.

Though at that point they were all the natives had

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Phil: Oi Cap'n Bri'n, you a mutie?
Captain Britain: I don't know, Phil; are you a POLISH NURSE?!?
nurse is a man

with a HOOK

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean yeah they weren’t a monolithic if block and even the ones that supported the natives were still pretty racist against them, just more in a white mans burden sort of way.

Though at that point they were all the natives had

Yeah reading about Kateri Tekakwitha was full of examples like this, missionaries deciding the only way to save the natives from their own compatriots was to destroy every vestige of non-Christian culture as fast as possible. Real direct link to "kidnap and brutalize them in residential schools" as a public policy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

grittyreboot posted:

I never understood why mutants are treated as persecuted outcasts for their powers while Captain America or the Fantastic Four are celebrities

Khizan posted:

I've always put a a good bit of it down to mutants like Cyclops and Rogue, with powers that can and will hurt people accidentally. Just today, my nephew accidentally knocked my glasses off of my head with an errant swing of a nerf sword. Something similar happens to Cyclops and he could kill people.

This adds an element of fear to mutants that doesn't exist with Cap and Iron Man. Sure, they're perfectly capable of hurting you but they have to actively do something to hurt you. Miss a shot in a fight, gently caress up with a science project, whatever. It still generally requires them to take an action that has a certain amount of danger to it. There's an element of "teenage mutant might accidentally create a tiny black hole in the grocery store while I'm getting milk and eggs" to mutants that doesn't really exist with Cap or Spiderman or the like.

To add to this I could imagine that individual people who get their powers through science or some sort of freak accident don't trigger the same kind of existential fear as an entire species that is just flat-out superior. Like anyone could become Captain America or one of the Fantastic Four in theory. And they're just one-offs; their existence doesn't suggest that H. sapians is in danger of being replaced.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I just realized this isn't the "blather about comic books" thread.

So here's some idiot on social media for everyone:
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1448294648938696707

Max ain't the idiot.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1448070723566809091?s=21

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I just realized this isn't the "blather about comic books" thread.

So here's some idiot on social media for everyone:
https://twitter.com/MaxKennerly/status/1448294648938696707

Max ain't the idiot.

It's what a conservative version of #BuildBackBetter would be.

Literally. Boris Johnson is talking about Galactic Global Britain whilst telling those who are complaining about not being able to celebrate Christmas properly for non-Covid reasons aren't clapping their hands and believing in fairies Brexit enough.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Look at how well Biden’s administration is working right here in my very own town!!!

they’re remodeling

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah it’s not hard find empty shelving in an active and well stocked store. They constantly move poo poo around and reorganize! But honesty isn’t really a part of their decision making is it?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I love how terf inferiority and victim complexes has brought them back to being offended at girls wearing pants. 100 years ago feminists were fighting for the right to wear pants publicly without judgment and to be treated like equal human beings, and now these modern fucks don't even want to be called people. They've built an entire identity on being victimized, while reaping the benefits of those who actually fight for true equality.

They're really fighting hard to win the Oppression Olympics when they're claiming "girls wearing pants is part of the Trans Agenda"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a grimly funny terf comic I saw a while back where they're depicting burly women with hairy legs as the bad guys, which is literally exactly how right wingers still draw feminists.

It really is just garbage 1950's christian moral values poo poo but this time I'm actually the progressive one you see.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
It's a horrible event, but I'd be lying if I said this didn't make me laugh.

https://twitter.com/breakonthru234/status/1448365912046800899

(Don't read the comments, it's all people going "HEH..GUN CONTROL, HUH?!")

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

https://twitter.com/Molson_Hart/status/1447958674610212865?t=N2X8kBfdrc5Wcqdadft98Q&s=19

Is he saying he's paying his employees in cash instead of checks? Cause that's a huge red flag in and of itself.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe they should have a double helping of Brain Flakes

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

grittyreboot posted:

https://twitter.com/Molson_Hart/status/1447958674610212865?t=N2X8kBfdrc5Wcqdadft98Q&s=19

Is he saying he's paying his employees in cash instead of checks? Cause that's a huge red flag in and of itself.

Someone posted in the thread that the OP doesn’t think 1 million in income is excessive, but $14/hr is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Molson evidently needs to sneak himself a couple handfuls of Brain Flakes

E: goddamn it Data Graham

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Lmao $14/hr is nothing in Iowa let alone Texas.

Source: Me making $14/hr in Iowa for years.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Someone in the replies said as much, but he's mad that he had to take his own offer. Except at CEO wages, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
A man walks into a store and grabs a jug of milk.

“I’ll pay three dollars for this.”

“Sir, the price is six dollars.”

“Best I can do is three.”

“…”

The man walks out without the milk.

The next week, every journalist in the country describes the store as having a “milk shortage”.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

grittyreboot posted:

Hmmm, yes, a part-time job paid in cash that's hard and demanding physical labor in Texas during the summer (it's still summer in the South, shut up), which almost certainly means no insurance and no workman's comp. Yeah, no.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Gosh, it’s almost like there are literally thousands of people just a bit south of you who would love to do cash labor for $14 an hour!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I love that people think raising minimum wage will cause prices of goods to rise as if it hasn't already been happening for decades

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

It's interesting how inflation permeates everything except minimum wage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Picnic Princess posted:

I love how terf inferiority and victim complexes has brought them back to being offended at girls wearing pants. 100 years ago feminists were fighting for the right to wear pants publicly without judgment and to be treated like equal human beings, and now these modern fucks don't even want to be called people. They've built an entire identity on being victimized, while reaping the benefits of those who actually fight for true equality.

They're really fighting hard to win the Oppression Olympics when they're claiming "girls wearing pants is part of the Trans Agenda"

I hate to empty quote but I couldn't have put it better.