Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

CuddleCryptid posted:

Ending: The scene of Samus going absolutely apeshit on the boss while cutting away to the city falling was comedic gold

"AAAAAAAAAAAA(Floating city wide shot) AAAAAAAAAAAAA (city catches fire) AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (city starts to sink)

https://i.redd.it/2sb9g7tzmss71.jpg

anyone else notice that Samus's mission in Dread is to kill a Mawkin bird? :v:

The more I think about it, the more I liked the story in this game as a tie up to the story. Was very fun and Mercury Steam did a great job with the cutscenes and communicating small stuff without dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lol I forgot Phaaze explodes also

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol I forgot Phaaze explodes also

You just know Dark Samus will come back for Prime 4, even though she, her energy source and the planet, as mentioned, blew up.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

RBA Starblade posted:

I know it's blown up forever and ever for real we mean it but kind of surprised not to see phazon or anything at all, considering everything else is in here

If it comes back, it's probably gonna be in Prime 4, as it's will likely be another prequel set between numbered titles. Didn't Prime 3 tease something from Hunters at the end? If they follow up on that, they can't waste that much time in-universe.

Judge Tesla posted:

You just know Dark Samus will come back for Prime 4, even though she, her energy source and the planet, as mentioned, blew up.
I hope not. I kinda liked her design in Prime 2, where she made sense thematically. It's a shame her design didn't convey that this wasn't a suit, and she just looked like that. It was all flesh. I think the only clue before the final boss that makes you think that is the fact that she has claws on her feet. Prime 3 made her way more boring, actually getting rid of a few elements that made her unique.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It was the power bomb upgrades hidden in plain site on my map that kept me from 100%. Really wish the map was more readable.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the map is cool but the icons are terrible

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

:lol: after finishing Dread I thought I should finally finish Samus Returns and playing it feels like playing Dark Souls 2 after Bloodborne. I think I‘ll pass for a while…

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Play AM2R

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Kinda wish there was another use for the speed booster/shinespark other than item pickup puzzles

wanna have a speed booster boss fight

love that they just sorta carried over all the shinespark mechanics from other games including the ballspark

something about the ballspark amuses me

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

This final boss is no joke goddamn. I do wish they had difficulty settings (all games should) or at least a pity "we noticed you've been dieing a lot, would you like to lower the difficulty?" pop up like God of War.

I'm sure I'll get it, the attacks are well telegraphed but all the same... yeesh.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I restarted the game in hard mode thinking it would be a breeze now that I knew were to go, got the first power up, and instantly was lost again.

Prime had the best navigation idea imo, it didn't tell you exactly how to get to a spot but it would say "something weird is happening over here, maybe take a look". Adam going "hey you got a missile that's good for missle doors" is practically useless most of the time

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Monkey Fracas posted:

Kinda wish there was another use for the speed booster/shinespark other than item pickup puzzles

love that they just sorta carried over all the shinespark mechanics from other games including the ballspark

Three bosses (that I know of) have booster-related quickkills lol

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Already did two times. I like it a lot.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Humerus posted:

This final boss is no joke goddamn. I do wish they had difficulty settings (all games should) or at least a pity "we noticed you've been dieing a lot, would you like to lower the difficulty?" pop up like God of War.

I'm sure I'll get it, the attacks are well telegraphed but all the same... yeesh.

The final boss is weird in that it seems insurmountable at first, but once you learn the patterns of each phase, it's actually not very difficult. It's like learning a piece of music section by section and just performing it. I beat it at 62% item completion then went back for a rematch a couple days later after 100%ing everything, and I was impressed at how easily he went down the second time.

It's just a really fun, engaging encounter. I found the game overly difficult for a long time but it comes with a satisfaction rarely seen in first party Nintendo titles.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

CuddleCryptid posted:

I restarted the game in hard mode thinking it would be a breeze now that I knew were to go, got the first power up, and instantly was lost again.

Prime had the best navigation idea imo, it didn't tell you exactly how to get to a spot but it would say "something weird is happening over here, maybe take a look". Adam going "hey you got a missile that's good for missle doors" is practically useless most of the time

Yeah, I liked how it'd point to a room just floating in the middle of nowhere.

While Fusion was kinda hand-holdy, I do like that it did a similar thing of "your goal is here" but the path there often would require detours.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

MokBa posted:

The final boss is weird in that it seems insurmountable at first, but once you learn the patterns of each phase, it's actually not very difficult. It's like learning a piece of music section by section and just performing it. I beat it at 62% item completion then went back for a rematch a couple days later after 100%ing everything, and I was impressed at how easily he went down the second time.

It's just a really fun, engaging encounter. I found the game overly difficult for a long time but it comes with a satisfaction rarely seen in first party Nintendo titles.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm sure you're right. I've only tried twice so I'm sure I'll get it. I just wish I could throw on easy mode and blast through.

(Mid game boss spoilers) I legit almost quit at the Experiment boss. I couldn't reliably get to his second phase and the one time I did I just immediately died to his big swipe. I took a break, watched a video of someone beating it, and then killed him after getting hit maybe 4 times.

I bet this boss will be a similar experience. I just need to slow down and learn the tells.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Monkey Fracas posted:

the use outside of puzzles is to zip around the map doing whooshing noises

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

MokBa posted:

The only bit that kept getting me was the 1-3 swipe attack, it's hard to get out of after the first hit. Everything else is telegraphed enough to react in time with a slide, a dash or a space jump. You can all do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Monkey Fracas posted:

The main use of Speed Booster is “finding new and exciting ways to break this game wide open”
Like how it’s possible to get the Spin Jump immediately after getting Speed Booster, apparently.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
Speaking of most speed puzzles having multiple solutions:

Is there another way to do the one in the top-left of Dairon, *other* than sparking into the small ramp to recharge your boost and pinballing up the shaft like a maniac? Every other way I tried (various ways of storing the spark and space jumping up) seemed to be just a little too tight on the timing....

I love this.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

jackhunter64 posted:

The only bit that kept getting me was the 1-3 swipe attack, it's hard to get out of after the first hit. Everything else is telegraphed enough to react in time with a slide, a dash or a space jump. You can all do it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

That one is difficult to get out of and doesn't have much wind-up, but in general, you can just assume he will do it if you are standing close to him when he finishes another attack, so GTFO pre-emptively.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I've 100% item collection in all areas now I'm ready for the final boss. I look forward to retrying this multiple times.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

More games should give you cool wallpapers as a reward for beating them, IMO.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JordanKai posted:

More games should give you cool wallpapers as a reward for beating them, IMO.

Relatedly the Switch should really let us make themes or something

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ROJO posted:

Speaking of most speed puzzles having multiple solutions:

Is there another way to do the one in the top-left of Dairon, *other* than sparking into the small ramp to recharge your boost and pinballing up the shaft like a maniac? Every other way I tried (various ways of storing the spark and space jumping up) seemed to be just a little too tight on the timing....

I tried doing the ramp method but I found it way too awkward. I actually pulled it off by just storing a charge at the bottom and getting up there by space jumping. it was tight timing but proper jumping got it done.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vookatos posted:

I guess it's my problem more than the game's, but I absolutely hate pressing in the stick while running.
I'm one of like two people who prefer to jump using the circle button in Dark Souls, too.

A couple of the spaces to build a charge are VERY tight, and this hampers that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Barreft posted:

I need to learn this skill, I cant use the joycons because I have to navigate the right stick with the base of my thumb so I can hit the buttons with my thumb itself. It's so hard to do anything precise with it besides like picross, I've always just used the hori split pad since the thumbstick is off to the left

What games require using the right stick and buttons at the same time? I would think that'd be a hassle on any controller.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

I got an amusing glitch during the last boss.

https://twitter.com/Tomenheimer/status/1448136205330108424?t=2HoHgg4nU6874oEQDvtS3g&s=19

He would not die no matter how much I shot him.

That just fits Bird Brain (uncool jerks don't get proper names) so well.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Woop, the Amiibo arrived. Time to give myself a bonus energy and missile+ tank.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Humerus posted:

Thanks! I just did it one try with that. Guess I didn't think that short ramp would "recharge" the spark. I just felt like an idiot after managing the one where you have to chain like 3 times and then failed this one repeatedly.

Crazy how many options there are for all these though.

That's one of those shinespark tricks which they never explain and people just pick up over the games. Good to remember, it's mandatory for some other puzzles.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Three bosses (that I know of) have booster-related quickkills lol

drat only knew about the one where you can use it on the boss that you fight in the thermal generator core thingy- game is chock-full of secrets and sequence-breaking goodness

I meant it would be cool if there was a boss or sequence really built around charging up and using the speed booster/shinespark

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bruceski posted:

That's one of those shinespark tricks which they never explain and people just pick up over the games. Good to remember, it's mandatory for some other puzzles.

I think they used every hidden “trick” to boosting/shine sparking you could do in Super, Fusion and ZM all at the same time. And then added a few new ones (wall jumping and sliding)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Monkey Fracas posted:

drat only knew about the one where you can use it on the boss that you fight in the thermal generator core thingy- game is chock-full of secrets and sequence-breaking goodness

I meant it would be cool if there was a boss or sequence really built around charging up and using the speed booster/shinespark

I think since shinesparks and speed booster gauntlets are pretty technical they wanted to minimize the mandatory usage of it. I think the only time you’re actually required to use a shinespark on the critical path is the tutorial for it?

there are plenty of rooms in the game that are definitely designed to give you space to play around with the speed booster, though, and it’s involved in a lot of developer-intended shortcuts and sequence breaks

Augus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 13, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Monkey Fracas posted:

i figure this isn't quite what you meant but i just did it and feel quite pleased about it so i'd like to post it anyway

(later boss, are we even spoiler-baring these, idk what the mood on spoilers in a metroid game is)https://i.imgur.com/dTwAMed.mp4

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i'm trying to think of another metroid game - hell, maybe even another metroidvania (save hollow knight) - with bosses as good as in Dread and coming up mostly empty

which probably means i'm forgetting something :v: but even so these have been standout fun to master, even on Hard (excuse me 600 damage for the chozo soldier red melee attack?? :stare:)

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

i figure this isn't quite what you meant but i just did it and feel quite pleased about it so i'd like to post it anyway

(later boss, are we even spoiler-baring these, idk what the mood on spoilers in a metroid game is)https://i.imgur.com/dTwAMed.mp4

Goddamn you nailed it

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

ah yeah this is the only quick kill I know about- figured something was up when it gave you the wind to run against and build up a speed boost

owns

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Monkey Fracas posted:

ah yeah this is the only quick kill I know about- figured something was up when it gave you the wind to run against and build up a speed boost

owns

the other one i'm aware of is breaking sequence to bring morph ball bombs to Kraid, which I'm astonished the devs so-completely accounted for

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 13, 2021

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

i'm trying to think of another metroid game - hell, maybe even another metroidvania (save hollow knight) - with bosses as good as in Dread and coming up mostly empty

which probably means i'm forgetting something :v: but even so these have been standout fun to master, even on Hard (excuse me 600 damage for the chozo soldier red melee attack?? :stare:)
i love metroidvanias to death and honestly and genuinely i can only think of hollow knight which has good/fun boss fights (in addition to dread, i mean)

it's the perennial weakness of the genre

e: fwiw i think there's (several) good reasons for that - in all the traditional metroid and castlevania games the player character has taken up a fairly large portion of the screen with even larger bosses, making the arenas very cramped. they've also had little to no movement abilities (like dashes) or counter-defensive like parries or the hollow knight pogo.

both dread and hollow knight have the strength of having much more screen real estate and defensive abilities and movement abilities. you're just able to design much better fights around that

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ciaphas posted:

the other one i'm aware of is breaking sequence to bring morph ball bombs to Kraid, which I'm astonished the devs so-completely accounted for

there’s another one if you bring the screw attack into the Escue fight