Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

We were joking about the power cell and battery chargers. Using them in the Cyclops will drain your power a lot quicker than it charges it back up. The battery charger can be used in emergencies but it’s usually not worth it.

All you really want in there is storage, a fabricator, an indoor grow bed with marblemeloms, and maybe some cosmetic stuff if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

put a bed in there

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
At least a chair for when your feet get tired. And a desk in case you need to do some work.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

withak posted:

At least a command chair.

:colbert:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Cartoon Man posted:

We were joking about the power cell and battery chargers. Using them in the Cyclops will drain your power a lot quicker than it charges it back up. The battery charger can be used in emergencies but it’s usually not worth it.

All you really want in there is storage, a fabricator, an indoor grow bed with marblemeloms, and maybe some cosmetic stuff if you want.

Once upon a time if you stuck two Efficiency mods in the Cyclops, they'd stack and make charging batteries take less power than they held. This was patched out.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
had to spawn in stalker teeth in my switch game because every single tooth within range of my maximum range safe shallows scanner was in the void beneath the ground. Not in a cave, just below the earth.

Guess this is pretty common, lol.

Honestly, as long as you're not constantly running rig for silent running and normal/flank speed, your charge will last pretty drat long. Three power cell spares should be more than enough to get you through a ton of content on the cyclops.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
And if you run mods, you can just recharge with the base Cyclops docking attachment.

FYI for anyone whos been holding off on one or the other, Subnautica on sale at 50% and BZ at 25% off atm.

Thats $15 and $22.50
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/10076/Subnautica_Deep_Ocean_Bundle/

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Oct 10, 2021

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Icon Of Sin posted:

I like putting a foundation platform over thermal vents, so I can get a nice flat surface where I have room to pack in 5 or 6 thermal plants :unsmith:

I can't believe I never thought of this :piss:

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
i checked out the deathrun mod but it is a little too intense for someone who doesn’t exactly have the map memorized. needing magnetite for the habitat builder is brutal.

other changes include no breathing surface air without an air pump, the bends, deeper radiation, more scans for items, higher power usage, sunken escape pod

it’s all adjustable tho.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Oct 11, 2021

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

star eater posted:

i checked out the deathrun mod but it is a little too intense for someone who doesn’t exactly have the map memorized. needing magnetite for the habitat builder is brutal.

other changes include no breathing surface air without a air pump, the bends, deeper radiation, more scans for items, higher power usage, sunken escape pod

it’s all adjustable tho.

drat, they don’t call it a death run for nothing. How you explore the islands if you can’t breath surface air?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cartoon Man posted:

drat, they don’t call it a death run for nothing. How you explore the islands if you can’t breath surface air?

with lots of oxygen tanks I would assume, lol. Sounds like a nightmare. I think if i read the notes right you can use the air pump pipes out of the water too though.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm starting to feel like I'm in a rut, like I don't know what to do. I discovered the portal to Keane/Degasi island, and actually found the ruins there. I don't know how I missed them the first time, but that just pointed me to the first habitat, I still have no idea how to get to the second. Incidentally, I somehow managed to get lost on that very small island and it took ages to find the portal back to Sunbeam island. But my alternative was to swim about a kilometer, without a Seaglide.

I've been searching for any wrecks I missed. I still don't have the Prawn suit, I'm missing several pieces for it, I don't have the blueprint for the Decoy torpedoes, or many other Cyclops upgrades. I found 2/3 of the Nuclear Reactor blueprint, and the nuclear waste disposal bin.

I guess I need to explore deeper, but that hasn't always gone well. I once encountered some huge white thing with tentacles and it was angry. I only survived because I was near a Tree Coral forest and I used the nimbleness of the Seamoth to dart where it was too big to go until it eventually gave up. Another time I tried going around the nose of the Aurora, but there was another one there so I didn't try to go that direction. So I'm feeling discouraged about exploring deeper.

Q: Does the AI message "There are multiple leviathan-class lifeforms detected. Are you certain that whatever you're trying to do is worth it?" really mean "this is the edge of the map, there's nothing good this way?"

Q: I did get the indoor garden blueprint. (Are finding the Degasi ruins really the only way to get half the modules?) Do the land plants require sunlight, or will the garden work even in an enclosed area. If it does work, that'll nicely solve issues with fuelling the bioreactor.

Q: Some early posts in the thread talked about using an Aquarium to farm fish. I stuck 4 Reginalds in a small Aquarium and they aren't breeding. They said something about making a double-high multi-purpose chamber and a double-high aquarium, but I tried stacking a multi-purpose chamber and it didn't work. Does that trick work and I'm just doing it wrong?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm starting to feel like I'm in a rut, like I don't know what to do. I discovered the portal to Keane/Degasi island, and actually found the ruins there. I don't know how I missed them the first time, but that just pointed me to the first habitat, I still have no idea how to get to the second. Incidentally, I somehow managed to get lost on that very small island and it took ages to find the portal back to Sunbeam island. But my alternative was to swim about a kilometer, without a Seaglide.

I've been searching for any wrecks I missed. I still don't have the Prawn suit, I'm missing several pieces for it, I don't have the blueprint for the Decoy torpedoes, or many other Cyclops upgrades. I found 2/3 of the Nuclear Reactor blueprint, and the nuclear waste disposal bin.

I guess I need to explore deeper, but that hasn't always gone well. I once encountered some huge white thing with tentacles and it was angry. I only survived because I was near a Tree Coral forest and I used the nimbleness of the Seamoth to dart where it was too big to go until it eventually gave up. Another time I tried going around the nose of the Aurora, but there was another one there so I didn't try to go that direction. So I'm feeling discouraged about exploring deeper.

Q: Does the AI message "There are multiple leviathan-class lifeforms detected. Are you certain that whatever you're trying to do is worth it?" really mean "this is the edge of the map, there's nothing good this way?"

Q: I did get the indoor garden blueprint. (Are finding the Degasi ruins really the only way to get half the modules?) Do the land plants require sunlight, or will the garden work even in an enclosed area. If it does work, that'll nicely solve issues with fuelling the bioreactor.

Q: Some early posts in the thread talked about using an Aquarium to farm fish. I stuck 4 Reginalds in a small Aquarium and they aren't breeding. They said something about making a double-high multi-purpose chamber and a double-high aquarium, but I tried stacking a multi-purpose chamber and it didn't work. Does that trick work and I'm just doing it wrong?

It’s time to explore the inside of the Aurora. You’ll need just about every tool to get through there. Here’s some spoilers if you really want to know:

Bring a repair tool, laser cutter, two or three fire extinguishers, and a propulsion gun. Bring some food and water but you’ll find extras inside lockers when you go in. Head to the front of the crashed Aurora in your sea moth but watch out for a Reaper. Look for a door blocked by boxes, use the propulsion gun to move them. Inside your looking for the prawn suit bay, scan them all and you’ll unlock it. You also want to look for the reactor core room. Repair all the breaches in there and the radiation in the water goes away.

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Q1: It does not. There's a rare few worthwhile things in the direction of that AI message; there's another message if you go off the map

Q2: The Degasi ruins are the only way to get a fair number of blueprints yes. Land plants do not require sunlight.

Q3: It's not an Aquarium that allows this, there's a different module that you're looking for.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I have a mod that gives you huge tanks, but also enabled the decompression damage if you ascend too fast/past your safe depth (typically around 3/4 of your current depth). Makes exploring the island/the Aurora a little bit easier, but you’re still on a time crunch. All my tanks have to be refilled manually as well, so I added 1 cool thing and 2 hazards :v:

Also, can’t stress this one piece enough: a mod that gives you a scuba manifold. Lets you breathe out of all the tanks in your inventory, so you don’t have to go switching them. I think it’s legit just called “scuba manifold” or “dive manifold” on Nexus, if it’s still there.

e: I played through a few Death Runs, turning up the aggression on the animals to “beyond death run” makes the little biter fish a loving nuisance :suicide:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

star eater posted:

other changes include no breathing surface air without an air pump, the bends, deeper radiation, more scans for items, higher power usage, sunken escape pod

it’s all adjustable tho.

I don't get it, if the surface air is toxic then what are you filling your tanks with? The air from the escape pod? So you start with a heavy duty o2 tank and never need to surface, instead swimming back to your pod?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Serephina posted:

I don't get it, if the surface air is toxic then what are you filling your tanks with? The air from the escape pod? So you start with a heavy duty o2 tank and never need to surface, instead swimming back to your pod?

I haven’t looked at it in a bit, but refilling was done in the pod/a base. You also needed to be a certain depth (configurable in the mod menu) when the ship exploded, and the pod fabricator would stop making food/water because radiation.

All these options can be tuned (ie surface air: always, never, pre-explosion/post-repair) so it’s only ever as bad as you want it to be.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ooookay, I'll try to explore the Aurora, then. Here's the Trip report:

First attempt to round the stern, using the Cyclops. I encountered a Reaper which tried to eat my face off. I calmly turned the ship around, slowly, slowly, slowly, WHY ARE YOU TURNING SO SLOWLY, then booked it out of there at Emergency Speed until it stopped chasing me, then I kept going a bit farther, stopped and went out to patch up all the damage.

Second attempt, using a Seamoth: Nope, still got spotted. I left it as close to the edge as I could, and swum normally around, finding a lot of awesome chest loot, but when I returned, my Seamoth was embedded well underground. Reload.

Third attempt, using a Seaglide, I went in with a plan. I set up a stealth base, called "Suicide Base", one chamber with a solar panel for power and a cabinet to store the items salvaged from the chests lying around. I successfully cleaned that area out, then returned to my nearest base (Aurora North). I found a LOT of Power Cells, enough to have a full set of backups for the Cyclops (which I left as close to the starting area as I could get.)

Fourth foray: I re-equipped for a longer journey in mind, and went back, this time focusing on trying to get as far as possible instead of gathering items. I got as far as a land section, and I set up a base on land. Getting the Solar Panel on top was a b-and-a-half, but I managed it by jumping off the top of a large block of titanium. I didn't really have many supplies, so I couldn't sustain any more investigations, and I had to return to Aurora North. I did install an outdoor garden plantation.

I didn't want to risk destroying "Mothy", so I built a second Seamoth, named it something along the lines of "Stupid Plan". "Stupid Plan" is geared out for resisting impacts and charging in the sunlight, and colored dark so it's harder to see (too bad you can't shut off the headlights.) I plan to grab a set of seeds so I can set up a garden at the land base for sustainability, then book it and hope that I can evade the Reaper. (Probably not!)

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Go inside the wrecked nose of the Aurora and look for ways inside the ship.. You don’t have to go past anything scary to get there. You will be following those messages you have been getting about the reactor going critical.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Don't fear the reapers.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I didn't want to risk destroying "Mothy", so I built a second Seamoth, named it something along the lines of "Stupid Plan". "Stupid Plan" is geared out for resisting impacts and charging in the sunlight, and colored dark so it's harder to see (too bad you can't shut off the headlights.) I plan to grab a set of seeds so I can set up a garden at the land base for sustainability, then book it and hope that I can evade the Reaper. (Probably not!)

The only vehicle with headlights that you can't shut off is, to my knowledge, the Prawn Suit. Try right clicking.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

withak posted:

Go inside the wrecked nose of the Aurora and look for ways inside the ship.. You don’t have to go past anything scary to get there. You will be following those messages you have been getting about the reactor going critical.

Slight correction- if you go inside of the big hole in the hull on the lifepod side of the Aurora, you don't have to go past anything scary.

Floating right in front of the nose in murky water, is something pretty scary.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

GD_American posted:

Slight correction- if you go inside of the big hole in the hull on the lifepod side of the Aurora, you don't have to go past anything scary.

Go on the surface and during the day, chances the big bad will bother you in any way will be very, very low. (Obviously if you loiter, those chances will increase.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GD_American posted:

There sure is, that's what I found when I first tried to get in, which is why I took the long way. Anyway, I went in and did what I needed to do in the Aurora, scavenged the supplies, downloaded the data, and repaired the containment breaches. I also built the first Neptune platform, but I don't really see much point investing a lot of time on the ship right now since it'll just get shot down.

I made the suit. Many of the deep places seem to have steep dropoffs, though, which means I need to be careful how I go, since there's a limit to how high I can jump. So instead of exploring in the suit, I maxed out the depth Mothy can go, so I can hopefully find some of the materials needed for the Jump Jets. But first I should scavenge more titanium from near the wreck.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There sure is, that's what I found when I first tried to get in, which is why I took the long way. Anyway, I went in and did what I needed to do in the Aurora, scavenged the supplies, downloaded the data, and repaired the containment breaches. I also built the first Neptune platform, but I don't really see much point investing a lot of time on the ship right now since it'll just get shot down.

I made the suit. Many of the deep places seem to have steep dropoffs, though, which means I need to be careful how I go, since there's a limit to how high I can jump. So instead of exploring in the suit, I maxed out the depth Mothy can go, so I can hopefully find some of the materials needed for the Jump Jets. But first I should scavenge more titanium from near the wreck.

The suit with 2 grappling arms may see wildly impractical, but have you considered the fact that it makes you underwater spider-man, and J Jonah Jameson will be demanding pictures of you almost immediately?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I have zero grappling arms because I'm missing one of the fragments.

EDIT:
I've settled on a pattern for a fairly self-sustaining base. (build stuff) An X-shaped compartment connecting two Multi-Purpose compartments. One compartment has a bio-reactor, the other has two interior gardens. Seed the gardens with edible plants and use those to keep the bioreactor fuelled. Optionally, add on a Scanner Room and a Water Filtration plant.

I dove deep and found the Underwater River biome, and with it, finally some Crystalline Sulphur and Nickel Ore so I can make the Prawn Suit Jump Jets. Hopefully I can use those to get myself out of any particularly deep holes. I also found an Alien Gate Destination, but I can't do anything from this side.

I successfully tested the jets on getting out of the Giant Pink Jellyshroom cavern, accumulating a treasure trove of Magnetite and Lithium from deposits I had to drill, and finally ventured deep and found the 500m deep Degasi habitat, and some thermal vents. I'll have to return to set up a base there. This time with Mothy and Mammoth, to carry the resources. They also have lights which turn off, so they won't get eaten by light-attracted EMP-shooting Crabsquid. I still need to walk back, though. I clambered my way back out, but I am quite a ways away from where I entered.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 13, 2021

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

star eater posted:

had to spawn in stalker teeth in my switch game because every single tooth within range of my maximum range safe shallows scanner was in the void beneath the ground. Not in a cave, just below the earth.

Guess this is pretty common, lol.

Err... yeah, it happened to me as well on my first run before I understood the mechanic. It's not really a problem, because you should have some living stalkers around? If you toss Scrap Metal at them and they play with it, they can lose some teeth. Pick them up before they glitch through the ground.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

JawnV6 posted:

Err... yeah, it happened to me as well on my first run before I understood the mechanic. It's not really a problem, because you should have some living stalkers around? If you toss Scrap Metal at them and they play with it, they can lose some teeth. Pick them up before they glitch through the ground.

There's a limit to the number of stalker teeth that can spawn at a time, presumably to stop the game from grinding to a halt if you're not picking them up. If 100% of that limit is glitched through the ground, you're just screwed.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

I have zero grappling arms because I'm missing one of the fragments.

you'll really want them for the later areas. There's at least 1 wreck in each surface biome. If you check 1 in each biome you should find the last piece. Also, stuff youve already unlocked shouldn't show up in new wrecks

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Dyz posted:

Also, stuff youve already unlocked shouldn't show up in new wrecks

This can't be true; I've definitely found double/triples/quadruples of parts for things I've already built and was using.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Also, just in case you hadn't realized, there are random small cargo boxes scattered on the sea floor away from wrecks. Some of those boxes are open on one end and have parts inside that can be scanned.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Don’t be afraid to revisit some of the larger wrecks. You may not have had the laser cutter on your first visit.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This can't be true; I've definitely found double/triples/quadruples of parts for things I've already built and was using.

We actually know the answer to this one: wrecks are populated with fragments either on game load or when you first get close enough to the wreck in question after a fresh load.

So if you load in with no laser cutter unlock, get the cutter, clear the Aurora and build or explore for a couple hours, but decide at the end to get into a wreck which you’ve been passing by but unable to cut open, you’re likely to find a mess of laser cutter fragments in it.

Same wreck, if you save and reload outside of it, will have other stuff or be mostly empty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

LonsomeSon posted:

We actually know the answer to this one: wrecks are populated with fragments either on game load or when you first get close enough to the wreck in question after a fresh load.

So if you load in with no laser cutter unlock, get the cutter, clear the Aurora and build or explore for a couple hours, but decide at the end to get into a wreck which you’ve been passing by but unable to cut open, you’re likely to find a mess of laser cutter fragments in it.

Same wreck, if you save and reload outside of it, will have other stuff or be mostly empty.

Ah, interesting. So effectively, the best thing to do, after getting parts together for a number of items, is to save, quit, reload, before searching other wrecks for more stuff?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Ah, interesting. So effectively, the best thing to do, after getting parts together for a number of items, is to save, quit, reload, before searching other wrecks for more stuff?

It seems like there’s a chance for just nothing to spawn in a place where a fragment could be, in at least some of the rooms, so once you have all the equipment which is on the fragment list for a particular wreck and open it, that wreck will have very little in the way of equipment fragments. This also means that if you need one more

On the other hand, saving very regularly is highly recommended by the Subnautica thread long-timers’ association, and all you’re missing out on is 2-titanium drops from scanning fragments you don’t need, so unless that’s a concern for you I’d say go for it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Cartoon Man posted:

Don’t be afraid to revisit some of the larger wrecks. You may not have had the laser cutter on your first visit.

I think I probably did have the laser cutter for most of the wrecks, because I delayed making the radiation suit in the promise of finding that alleged free radiation suit in one of the escape pods. I've visited and re-visited most of the wrecks in the course of wandering. It would really need to be pretty far out for me to have not cleared one by now, so I'm not feeling like seeking out wrecks will be a good use of my time. I've even been visiting some of them recently just to harvest fragments I ignored before, now that my titanium reserves are getting low.

I'm sure there are more wrecks out there, I just have scavenged all the ones I've found fairly thoroughly. I might need to set up fresh bases farther apart with scan stations attached. With the stuff I drilled, I now have two cabinets of copper and magnetite. EDIT: I just found a brand new wreck, a large one on some Ancient Floater islands. It had a Propulsion Cannon for a Prawn Suit as well as 3/4 of a suit to scan.

My current plan is to park my Cyclops as far down as I can near the super-deep Degasi outpost and set up a base near some of the thermal vents and use that to explore that region.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 14, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

My current plan is to park my Cyclops as far down as I can near the super-deep Degasi outpost and set up a base near some of the thermal vents and use that to explore that region.

You must really like aggressive fauna.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

withak posted:

When I listen to the audio logs from Paul, Bart, and Marguerite, I always do a big ol' :psyduck: :stare: when one of them suggests going deeper.

*I* could survive on the floating Island.... I don't know, build more gardens, Bart.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 14, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

withak posted:

Well, I'll try to find a quiet-ish spot, like I did for an outpost near the Underground River. Perhaps not quite so near the outpost, as that had an EMP brain thing near it.

Edit: I took a look around that area. I found an alien research outpost which wants an orange key, which I don't have. Other than that there doesn't seem to be any great reason to set up a base there. I'm not in dire need of resources at the moment, and if I want some, I can come back to look.

I'm now getting scared to check my radio. I do not like some of these messages.

EDIT 2: I succeeded in finding a quiet, roaming-creature-free(-maybe) place to set up an outpost. It turned out to be pretty worth it. I scanned for "Data Boxes" and while the only ones it pinged I had looted, from the Degasi outpost, going back to confirm helped me find a way back to the second floor of the structure, which I had missed the first time. It had the necessary orange keycard. Boosting the detection range to 3, I found a Wreck at the edge - it was one I had already visited, but I missed out on the door. Behind three laser-cutter doors I found two Prawn Grapples, and a Sonar Upgrade for the Cyclops.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Just bought Subnautica the other day.
I mean, i've already beaten it 10 or so times, but had gotten it through EGS freebie and it was on sale on Steam so...
Only had like 1-2 bugs this run, all control locked up when I tried to get on the mobile vehicle thingy and lost like 45m or scavenging and got stuck in the deep place with my Prawn suit temporarily, saved by the grapple.

Of all the games that I have played on both Steam and Xbox, these 2 are the only ones where I have gotten all Achievements.
Because they are obtainable and not ridiculous needing hours of grinding to get.