Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

No one's buying a Tesla to go from Point A to Point B. That's Ford Focus poo poo.

There's just too many Teslas around that this can be true. Lots of people have plenty of money and when they shop for an A-to-Ber they think "hmm I want electric, what's the best one?".

I'm buying one because I'm about to start dogecoin trading and need a credible studio to vlog from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ola posted:

But what Tesla naysayers do is assume that all the cars have the same problems, which has never been the case 100% and is much less the case now.

I've read almost the exact opposite of that; they complain about the lack of build consistency, meaning any individual car could be fine or could have a bunch of little issues

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

priznat posted:

Really can’t wait for the EV6 to ramp up, it still seems to potentially have the ideal combo of looks, performance and solid build quality in my price range. But the wait is taking forever!

I worry that even when they are released in North America they will be in such short supply that it will be very difficult to secure an EV6/Ioniq5.

I really want to test drive them dammit

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I worry that even when they are released in North America they will be in such short supply that it will be very difficult to secure an EV6/Ioniq5.

I really want to test drive them dammit

Yeah extremely same. I’m curious if they will be making them domestically, they have a few large factories in the states I believe. I think my Sorento was made in Georgia. They do seem to have a real impressive manufacturing capability judging by how fast I see new models in abundance after release.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Ola posted:

There's just too many Teslas around that this can be true. Lots of people have plenty of money and when they shop for an A-to-Ber they think "hmm I want electric, what's the best one?".

Thanks for explaining why I bought a Model 3 so I don't have to.

I actually traded down from a Model S, which, at the time we bought it, was the best electric for sale. I didn't like how showy it was, and the new M3 had longer range. It wound up costing us like $1000 after we sold the S, and we got a newer car with actual loving cup holders, 100 miles of added range, and half the charging time.

cruft fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 13, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ola posted:

I'm buying one because I'm about to start dogecoin trading and need a credible studio to vlog from.

This sentence was built in a lab with the specific intent of causing psychic damage

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
The prevalence of Tesla brainworms means that Teslas are considered aspirational purchases by the non-car enthusiast public.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The Model 3 is a massive step up from the S. I tried to steer friends/colleagues of mine away from the S but showy is exactly what they wanted.

Edit:

TheWevel posted:

The prevalence of Tesla brainworms means that Teslas are considered aspirational purchases by the non-car enthusiast public.

This is literally any successful brand ever.

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

FilthyImp posted:

The 3 is basically a $50k car...
No one's buying a Tesla to go from Point A to Point B. That's Ford Focus poo poo.

The msrp of my chevy volt as equipped (fully optioned) was 43k. I absolutely bought it to go from a to b.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

The msrp of my chevy volt as equipped (fully optioned) was 43k. I absolutely bought it to go from a to b.

Haha, I mean, I get that! This is a pretty common misunderstanding!

Chevy owners actually go from a to c. They're not allowed at b.

Hope this clears things up!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Great that we're back to calling the "M3" the best car in the world, right on schedule

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I've read almost the exact opposite of that; they complain about the lack of build consistency, meaning any individual car could be fine or could have a bunch of little issues

Fair enough, me too. But I've talked about EVs online for a decade now, so if we're drawing out observation examples where n>0, I think I have read every possible opinion permutation of unfounded, justified, reasonable, batshit, complaint and praise. Probably posted most of them too.

Ola fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 13, 2021

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

FilthyImp posted:

Folks were paying $100k for the S. The 3 is basically a $50k car in the "luxury" class.
No one's buying a Tesla to go from Point A to Point B.

I don't consider the Model 3 a luxury car and never bought it with that intent either. If I wanted a luxury car I would've bought a new Lexus to replace my older one. I was well aware of what I was getting in terms of the interior which is fine but nothing special. I bought a Model 3 because I wanted electric. Getting away from gas and a lot of maintenance was just a bonus. The Model 3 was the only decent EV on the market at the time in it's price point and arguably that's still the case depending on what's important to you and where you are.

The brand is unimportant to me, it is just an A to B car with some neat tech and great range and performance relative to my needs. I knew I could get a beige Corolla but the trade here was more up front with hopefully less on the tail end, so far that's holding out.

quote:

Great that we're back to calling the "M3" the best car in the world, right on schedule

When there's a bunch of compelling EVs at competitive price points that are also readily available, I'm sure they will be discussed too. The Model 3 comes up a lot because it's the ubiquitous EV right now.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Oct 13, 2021

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My mom bought a model 3 (just to go point a to b!) because she lives in a Midwest state that doesn't have any other EVs for sale new. Before you say "but shipping a car!", please, my mom and I assume most average car buyers can't be bothered to figure that poo poo out.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

It is the real M3 because it's what people who used to drive 3-Series drive now (along with Mk7 Golfs)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I’ll be dead in the ground before I recognize the M4 BMW you fucks!!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

priznat posted:

I’ll be dead in the ground before I recognize the M4 BMW you fucks!!

Who cares, it's all about the i4 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1O7vik5Sk

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks I hate it *pines for E39/E46 bmw design days*

Warrior Princess
Sep 29, 2014

What?

cruft posted:

Haha, I mean, I get that! This is a pretty common misunderstanding!

Chevy owners actually go from a to c. They're not allowed at b.

Hope this clears things up!

I'm not about to take shade from someone who has to use the DB25 port equivalent of car chargers. :cheeky:

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Ola posted:

Who cares, it's all about the i4 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl1O7vik5Sk

I'd turn that fake engine noise off so drat fast. Still though, that car looks great.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I'd turn that fake engine noise off so drat fast. Still though, that car looks great.

I love that you can get it in orange, but I am not in love with the piggy snout.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Warrior Princess posted:

I'm not about to take shade from someone who has to use the DB25 port equivalent of car chargers. :cheeky:

You will have to pry my chademo charger from my cold, dead, hands!

I mean, because that thing is *massive*, and after a couple months of use at a public charger, they get so beat up there's really no other way to remove them from anything.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't consider the Model 3 a luxury car and never bought it with that intent either. If I wanted a luxury car I would've bought a new Lexus to replace my older one. I was well aware of what I was getting in terms of the interior which is fine but nothing special. I bought a Model 3 because I wanted electric. Getting away from gas and a lot of maintenance was just a bonus. The Model 3 was the only decent EV on the market at the time in it's price point and arguably that's still the case depending on what's important to you and where you are.

The brand is unimportant to me, it is just an A to B car with some neat tech and great range and performance relative to my needs. I knew I could get a beige Corolla but the trade here was more up front with hopefully less on the tail end, so far that's holding out.

When there's a bunch of compelling EVs at competitive price points that are also readily available, I'm sure they will be discussed too. The Model 3 comes up a lot because it's the ubiquitous EV right now.

I have seen a bunch of articles describe the Model 3 as a luxury sedan, whether that's accurate or not it's certainly part of the zeitgeist

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

GlassEye-Boy posted:

Wish these were coming to the US. Sub-16k EV hatch with blade batteries NEDC 405km range.

BYD EA1/Dolphin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63wCfqSQp8c

Those batteries are probably LiPo to survive the nail test.

Very cool.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

CannonFodder posted:

Yeah I said the wrong thing. It's State of charge.

So with the Niro I can change the maximum charging status in a menu in the touch screen.

I can change it from 10 to 100. It's just something in the system I learned.

I've had to use the "change max charge" trick at various places (I'm looking at you Greenlots) because there was no button or switch to turn off the charger. I had to stop the charge from my car by telling it "You have enough" and then it did the handshake with the charger of "I have enough, let's disconnect" so I could safely remove the plug.

I learned this the hard way by brute forcing out a level 2 charger one time. I would never try to brute force a level 3 DC charger.

EA reported my Niro stopping the charge at 90% as a “system error.”

We planned to only charge to 80% but spent more time at the Hesperia Walmart than planned.

Nice setup there other then a few idiots parking gas cars at the EA chargers.

Murkyhumor
Jul 24, 2006

This is Not a Pipe.
Fun Shoe

The stock Nexen tires on my Kona EV felt actively dangerous in the snow (supposed to be super wet this winter in WA), and were terrible in the rain so I upgraded to Michelin Crossclimate 2s. I also didn't like the stock wheels on the kona, so went as light as I could afford with Enki PX-10s to try to offset some of the effect of the grippier tires.

So far the handling has felt great, and I haven't spun them like I used to all the time in the stock tires. Actually looking forward to our next rain to see how it all holds up.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I have seen a bunch of articles describe the Model 3 as a luxury sedan, whether that's accurate or not it's certainly part of the zeitgeist

This is where the term "executive saloon" is a much more accurate term, because luxury sedan gets thrown around to describe everything from an Infiniti Q50 to a Bentley Continental so it kind of has no meaning.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

This is where the term "executive saloon" is a much more accurate term, because luxury sedan gets thrown around to describe everything from an Infiniti Q50 to a Bentley Continental so it kind of has no meaning.

It's not more accurate. It's incredibly specific, but not accurate. Classic UK ultra-rigid class based naming says those types of cars should be driven by executives, but a Model 3 is middle management at best. Is there a Great British class based car category for someone who has a degree but no managerial role?

Trying to find some greater truth about a car by deciding which category it belongs to is a fool's errand, to put it mildly. They're just marketing catchphrases, not Linnaean taxonomy.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

It's not more accurate. It's incredibly specific, but not accurate. Classic UK ultra-rigid class based naming says those types of cars should be driven by executives, but a Model 3 is middle management at best. Is there a Great British class based car category for someone who has a degree but no managerial role?

Trying to find some greater truth about a car by deciding which category it belongs to is a fool's errand, to put it mildly. They're just marketing catchphrases, not Linnaean taxonomy.

No no no, you misunderstand. An executive saloon is a car that those who aspire to be executives drive.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

No no no, you misunderstand. An executive saloon is a car that those who aspire to be executives drive.

This reminded me of the Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I saw a Polestar 2 today and now I’m curious to test drive one of those too. Pity the only local dealership is way hell and gone in West Vancouver!

Getting quite a lot of credible EV options these days and I like it!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

priznat posted:

I saw a Polestar 2 today and now I’m curious to test drive one of those too. Pity the only local dealership is way hell and gone in West Vancouver!

Getting quite a lot of credible EV options these days and I like it!

If you schedule online, Polestar will drive the test car to you. I don't know what the max range for this is, probably the same as their free pickup range for service and delivery

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

cruft posted:

This reminded me of the Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer.

Young me was shocked when we went to the nice mall and I discovered that Eddie Bauer was more than just the top trim on Ford trucks.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

If you schedule online, Polestar will drive the test car to you. I don't know what the max range for this is, probably the same as their free pickup range for service and delivery

I had a look at that out of curiosity but they claim to be fully booked (til when I don't know). I have some time off work coming up so might go on a test drive tour of Tesla, Polestar and VW (+ possibly ford) though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

That is a good point, fair enough. But still way too many non-aspiring people a-to-b-ing it for that to be true.

The financially-independent-through-crypto-vlogging sports saloon!

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Murkyhumor posted:

The stock Nexen tires on my Kona EV felt actively dangerous in the snow (supposed to be super wet this winter in WA), and were terrible in the rain so I upgraded to Michelin Crossclimate 2s. I also didn't like the stock wheels on the kona, so went as light as I could afford with Enki PX-10s to try to offset some of the effect of the grippier tires.

So far the handling has felt great, and I haven't spun them like I used to all the time in the stock tires. Actually looking forward to our next rain to see how it all holds up.

I had Nexen something on my Soul (probably the same ones) and they started off okay but quickly turned bad. Got the CC2s myself and they seem good. I'm curious to see if the car will be usable in the snow. My consumption meter went from 4.1miles to 3.8miles/kWh but oh well.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I just got new tires on the spark ev. The guy at the tire shop taught me how KUMHO is supposed to be pronounced. I'm not changing.

Brand new tires, still no traction unless I wait until I'm rolling to stomp it.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

1703.1 mile review of the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition

tldr; It's a good car probably even a very good car but it's so close to being a really great car it's really annoying that it isn't.

Why it's better than a Model Y
It has TWO screens, one of which is directly in front of the driver!
Has consistent panel gaps, can be driven through puddles.
Interior is just better. Better materials. Looks nicer. Better designed.
Ford's door handle solution while kind of needlessly complex vs a regular door handle is a million times better than Tesla's needlessly complex door handle.
Doesn't look like an unlicensed car from GTA3 with a duck snout grafted onto it.
Insurance is 20 bucks a month cheaper.
Doesn't cost 2 grand to get red or 1 grand to get blue.
0-40ish acceleration is better.
Handling is better. I'm not a big handling guy which is good because they're both 4500+ pound pigs but the Tesla will go around corners but the Mustang feels like it actually wants to go around corners. It just feels tighter and better balanced. There's a 150 degree turn near my house and hammering the throttle at the apex and feeling the awd claw through the corner is a real joy.
Made by a company with a history of nazi collaboration rather than apartheid emerald mining.

Why it's worse than a Model Y
No heat pump but doesn't really impact me so I don't give a poo poo.
Supercharging network and charging speeds are better but I don't really give a poo poo.
Ford's acceleration past ~60 sucks poo poo.
Ford's infotainment is kinda laggy and not as well designed.
Made by a company with a history of apartheid emerald mining rather than nazi collaboration.

poo poo that's just wrong with the Ford
Not having ventilated seats at this price point is just embarrassing.
Paint seems kinda thin. Some people (including me) having problems with the headlight contacting the bumper cover and scraping the paint off.

Nearly the only thing that keeps me from thinking this is the perfect car is the acceleration at/past highway speeds. The disparity between 0-60 and 60-100 is just jarring. You expect some of this with an EV but not like this. I recently re-test drove a MYP just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly and I'm not. With the MYP you punch it at 60 and it pushes you back in your seat and keeps pushing you back in your seat. With the Ford it pushes you back in your seat for 1 second and then dribbles liquid poo poo down its metaphorical leg while it slowly trundles past 80.

There's two possible explanations for this acceleration disparity, I think. One is that Ford designed a cheesedick cooling system that just can't handle heat extraction for the amount of power the car generates. Two is that Tesla's system really isn't any better, they're just far more willing to abuse their batteries and take a gamble on future warranty claims. Maybe a little from column A and a little from column B. But I believe Tesla actually has some history with the latter so I'm leaning in that direction as the primary difference.

Which means that Ford could potentially loosen up a little and give the car back some high end horsepower, and if they did it, for me, would make this into a really great car. I want it basically exactly the way it is, but to run like 11.95 @ 114 or something. I think the best anyone has gotten so far is 12.36 @ 104 which is just crazy that it's that quick of an ET with that slow of a trap speed.

I'm not counting on Ford doing that though. I hope they do, but I bet they don't. Too old and stodgy and scared of warranty claims. But I think I've decided I'm keeping the car anyway. It's not perfect, but it's pretty good.

some_admin
Oct 11, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Neighbor got a Mach E, the acceleration makes me giggle. Seems very well put together and feels very confident on the road.

I’m driving an ioniq plug in hybrid this afternoon, has anyone had any experience with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

bird with big dick posted:

1703.1 mile review of the Ford Mustang Mach-E GT Performance Edition

Nearly the only thing that keeps me from thinking this is the perfect car is the acceleration at/past highway speeds. The disparity between 0-60 and 60-100 is just jarring. You expect some of this with an EV but not like this. I recently re-test drove a MYP just to make sure I wasn't remembering incorrectly and I'm not. With the MYP you punch it at 60 and it pushes you back in your seat and keeps pushing you back in your seat. With the Ford it pushes you back in your seat for 1 second and then dribbles liquid poo poo down its metaphorical leg while it slowly trundles past 80.

Is the highway passing acceleration actually slow?
Or just slower than it should be for a car with that hp and torque?
Having a slow highway passing speed is the worst and would make me turn down a car. I’ve had too many slow vehicles in my life and having to either risk a pass or wait forever sucks.