Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ponzicar posted:

Using your phone as a remote control for all your appliances seems fairly useful

Could you explain how? I'm just not sure how or why I would want to operate an appliance that I'm not physically in front of because like....it's an appliance. If I could use an app to put a pot on a stove, fill it, and turn on the burner that would be great. Just turning on the burner is not useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Motronic posted:

Could you explain how? I'm just not sure how or why I would want to operate an appliance that I'm not physically in front of because like....it's an appliance. If I could use an app to put a pot on a stove, fill it, and turn on the burner that would be great. Just turning on the burner is not useful.

The one IoT feature I would personally like is to be able to preheat my oven so I can pick up a pizza at Papa Murphy’s and be able to put it in the oven right when I get home.

Maybe I’m weird though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Missing Donut posted:

The one IoT feature I would personally like is to be able to preheat my oven so I can pick up a pizza at Papa Murphy’s and be able to put it in the oven right when I get home.

Maybe I’m weird though.

Turning on an oven when you're not home doesn't sound like it's at a reasonable spot in the risk/reward spectrum. I totally get WHY someone might want to do this, but that doesn't make it a good idea when you sit down and think through it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
yeah the only vaguely practical use case would be remotely changing the thermostat in your home and even then that would be useful a handful of times, if at all

the rest is just trying to integrate your "home appliance stack" with your phone/app ecosystem so samsung or whoever can get their fingers in there for targeted ads and appliances as a service

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
One thing I didn't expect was how all our smart bulbs are dimmable. Being able to not only "ok Google" the lights off in another room, but set up macros like all the common area lights being dimmed down once the kids are asleep and we can finally relax. The one I set up that turns off everything (lights, the TV) but turns on one small dim light in the kitchen when I go to bed is handy as hell.

It's definitely all stuff anyone can live without but I'd miss the hell out of it if it were gone. Basic IoT poo poo is dumb in some single guy apartment but in a family home, it can be pretty useful.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Motronic posted:

Depending on your schedule and how you want to cook, I could see how it would be useful to be able to change settings while you're not in the house or not able to stay in the kitchen all the time. A sous vide or a crock pot come to mind.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/do-i-need-a-sous-vide-machine-with-wifi

I don't know if I'd go out of my way to get something wifi-enabled, but I could see being able to delay a start time and remotely activate something would be great if I was busy or my schedule was uncertain.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Changing my thermostat from bed or from my office while in a meeting owns. Don’t see the need to do it from outside of my house though

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't see any use for operating my washer or dryer remotely, but my phone doing a little ding when it's done would be useful as hell. They're both HE and don't really run for set times. Right now we use an oven timer and kinda ballpark it since they're in the garage. Forgetting you started a washer load sucks.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Personally, I think something like the Ring doorbell/Camera is the beginning and end of IoT for me. It's the first time an IoT device gave me a new capability I really did enjoy and couldn't easily have gotten otherwise

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Eric Cantonese posted:

Depending on your schedule and how you want to cook, I could see how it would be useful to be able to change settings while you're not in the house or not able to stay in the kitchen all the time. A sous vide or a crock pot come to mind.

https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/do-i-need-a-sous-vide-machine-with-wifi

I don't know if I'd go out of my way to get something wifi-enabled, but I could see being able to delay a start time and remotely activate something would be great if I was busy or my schedule was uncertain.

These are already devices with keep warm modes or built-in start timers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

A sous vide or a crock pot come to mind.

imo a crock pot is like one of the least automation-required appliances i can think of, like the purpose of them is to be able to turn them on and leave them on. i've got one with four settings and i think that could be easily pared down to three

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

yeah the only vaguely practical use case would be remotely changing the thermostat in your home and even then that would be useful a handful of times, if at all

the rest is just trying to integrate your "home appliance stack" with your phone/app ecosystem so samsung or whoever can get their fingers in there for targeted ads and appliances as a service

I think there's arguably room for a smart thermostat which consults real-time weather and forecasts to determine if it really ought to be heating or cooling, or which one it should be attempting to do at any given time. During the spring and fall here, there are definitely times where you'll want heat in the morning and cooling in the afternoon, and being able to set up reasonably complex logic like "keep it just above 19 if it's going to get sunny/warm later in the day, but heat it to 20.5 otherwise" would be reasonable from an efficiency standpoint without having to constantly adjust the thermostat setting and mode yourself.

Is it necessary? Well, no, it's not. But it would make the thermostat just that much nicer.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

Motronic posted:

Turning on an oven when you're not home doesn't sound like it's at a reasonable spot in the risk/reward spectrum. I totally get WHY someone might want to do this, but that doesn't make it a good idea when you sit down and think through it.

Ehh, my stove is electric. I’m more nervous about my gas furnace going on and off when I’m not home.

In any case, the minor convenience I would get twice a year from remotely preheating my oven is more than outweighed by the problems with IoT devices so it’s not like I’m actually going to get one. It’s just an example.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Spazzle posted:

These are already devices with keep warm modes or built-in start timers.

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

imo a crock pot is like one of the least automation-required appliances i can think of, like the purpose of them is to be able to turn them on and leave them on. i've got one with four settings and i think that could be easily pared down to three

With my work schedule, I sometimes overshoot by hours when I come back home. Having something on "keep warm" for too long might not be great, right? The sauce might get overly reduced or the meat breaks down too much.

A remote start might not be a life changing feature, but I could see myself using it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Eric Cantonese posted:

With my work schedule, I sometimes overshoot by hours when I come back home. Having something on "keep warm" for too long might not be great, right? The sauce might get overly reduced or the meat breaks down too much.

A remote start might not be a life changing feature, but I could see myself using it.

Maybe I'm overthinking it.

i dunno if an appliance can help your use case here if you're delayed by many hours because of work bullshit and you've got a food cooking

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Missing Donut posted:

Ehh, my stove is electric. I’m more nervous about my gas furnace going on and off when I’m not home.

In any case, the minor convenience I would get twice a year from remotely preheating my oven is more than outweighed by the problems with IoT devices so it’s not like I’m actually going to get one. It’s just an example.

I get that it's "just an example". My post was asking for examples where an IoT appliance is 1.) useful (also safe) and 2.) not already solved by existing technology (high tech things like timers on crock pots). Because I can't think of any.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

What would make remote start actually useful would be a kitchen appliance that both chills and heats. At 6:30 reheat that casserole without having to leave it at room temp all day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
The problem with IoT in general is security is, always, an afterthought and many IoT devices are unpatchable so any vulnerabilities or exploits discovered are permanent unless you inform the consumers better. Not to mention the insecurity of your average home network.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I've consulted for IOT wannabes and yeah, safety third would be optimistic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

tracecomplete posted:

I've consulted for IOT wannabes and yeah, safety third would be optimistic.

Its like taking all the worst part of Industrial Control Systems and putting them in your home.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Was it the google thermostats that could be hacked and then safety stuff bypassed where they could set the heat to 115°?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Motronic posted:

Ok, being able to monitor the temps on my pellet smoker without having to go outside would be rather sweet, especially during those 8-12 hour smokes, but that's all I can come up with.

It just adds $150 to the cost of mine, and they give you the full wiring diagram to install it yourself. No further fees or bullshit. I don't believe you can start up the smoker remotely, however.

I'm with you on your greater point however.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
EFF is now doing puff pieces for Cryptocurrency groups

https://twitter.com/EFF/status/1448023101518671873?s=20

Just....of all the things to focus on, this is probably the worst.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I can understand fighting government overreach, but dude, cryptocurrency is not one of the hills the Electronic Frontier Foundation should be choosing to die on.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Mister Facetious posted:

I can understand fighting government overreach, but dude, cryptocurrency is not one of the hills the Electronic Frontier Foundation should be choosing to die on.

Well and its pretty much Libertarian take of "Government can't regulate this". Uh, either Crypto wants to be a currency, which is regulated in nearly every country, or it doesn't. Which is it?

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/1447850751787773956

I don't like this at all. We should not be giving these things guns. That's how it starts.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ReidRansom posted:

https://twitter.com/AbraxasSpa/status/1447850751787773956

I don't like this at all. We should not be giving these things guns. That's how it starts.

The flying ones already have missiles.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fair point.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Motronic posted:

Nah, piece of cake.

Just use your cell phone remote to turn on your sprinkler system after you've set fire to your loving house. The use it to call the fire department.

PT6A posted:

I think there's arguably room for a smart thermostat which consults real-time weather and forecasts to determine if it really ought to be heating or cooling, or which one it should be attempting to do at any given time. During the spring and fall here, there are definitely times where you'll want heat in the morning and cooling in the afternoon, and being able to set up reasonably complex logic like "keep it just above 19 if it's going to get sunny/warm later in the day, but heat it to 20.5 otherwise" would be reasonable from an efficiency standpoint without having to constantly adjust the thermostat setting and mode yourself.

Is it necessary? Well, no, it's not. But it would make the thermostat just that much nicer.

So much of this stuff is unnecessary and most of it really doesn't improve your life, so much as frustrates you when it fails to work once you get used to it. Very few of these things are inventions I really really wished for.

And It's all well and good until something breaks or the thing goes haywire and starts heating your house up to 90 degrees and you can't override it or turn your god damned oven off. Or when it now costs $1500 to fix and takes 2 weeks to get a chip/sensor. Or, if for any reason your internet goes down for an extended period of time so it simply won't work without a connection.

I've been through a few hurricanes here in NE FL and while I've never lost power, the internet has gone out every time. Over the course of those 3 or 4 days, let me tell you, I was never more happy to have actual books, video games on discs, a few board games, some drawing and writing paper and a pretty decent DVD library.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

PT6A posted:

Most modern programmable thermostats can automatically keep the temp in a temp range and will heat and cool when needed. No smart features needed.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

RFC2324 posted:

I have no idea, I just know that its one of the things I see touted as a reason to buy a smart fridge. I'll never have the money to buy one unless I marry rich, and its a bit late in life for that.

Smart thermostats are handy for anyone who likes to go out, and so has an unexpected schedule, or have kids that like to try and mess with the thermostat, etc etc.

And I don't think anyone find managing lighting a chore, its just that some of us grew up on sci fi like star trek and want rooms to respond to us walking in because its cool.

There is nothing wrong with wanting something or doing something impractical but harmless because its cool.

I'm not making GBS threads on IOT. It's not useful or interesting to me personally but I respect that it is to others.

Some people have lives centered around a large home with many people and for others home is a small apartment where you just sleep and do laundry. Different circumstances, climates, cultures, hobbies, preferences, habits etc. Live your life, it's all good.

For no particular reason for general consideration here's some future predictions from the tech overlords that rule our lives.
https://youtu.be/WZ_ul1WK6bg
https://youtu.be/WPS1DMlzz0M
https://youtu.be/9V_0xDUg0h0
https://youtu.be/w-tFdreZB94
https://youtu.be/o-qjhU6PB5U

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

karthun posted:

Most modern programmable thermostats can automatically keep the temp in a temp range and will heat and cool when needed. No smart features needed.

Yeah, this whole "needing to know the weather forecast" is complete and total bullshit that is an invented problem to create a solution that nobody needs.

There exist some very weird edge cases where this might be helpful, like very slow heating such as radiant in a place that's not normally occupied/thermostat turned down after business hours to predict when it should be turned on to hit a setpoint by a certain time in the morning. And I had that edge case! And guess what? To nobody's surprise Nest would consistently gently caress it up and call for second stage heat to make up for it anyway. And in the end, it wasn't worth even trying because the energy savings are so negligible that it's not worth the complexity. The real reason I had a nest was "cheap occupancy sensor to set the stat back to away when I forgot to do it myself". I tried the other features because they were there, but they were mostly poo poo.

If your heating and cooling (and insulation/air sealing) are correct there is no need for anything more than programmable thermostats/humidistats/etc in the vast majority of use cases.

The only other useful edge case I can think of is for vacation homes so you can kick the thermostat from "away" to "home" so it's at it's setpoint by the time you arrive. This is also something that has been available for ages, and long before this was done on the internet and/or with smart phones. Yes, it's cheaper/easier to do over the internet, but it's such a niche use case. And you should self- :guillotine: if you actually need something like this.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My kid's rooms each have a smart plug with a string of christmas lights and a google home mini. It's been incredibly handy to be able to remotely turn on/off lights and music in their room. I can turn on my toddler's sleepytime playlist from my phone if I hear him wake up in the middle of the night rather than go in there and get him riled up.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
I don't know where Roomba's land in the IoT, but being able to set a vacuuming schedule for when I'm not home is great.

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

One developing area that I am aware of (I work at an electricity company) is the advancement of spot pricing in domestic electricity market, and the integration of home power generation with consumption and pricing signals.

e.g. my retailer tells me that there is ample cheap supply available now and will offer me a discount kw/h rate for the next two hours, but then the rate will go up significantly from 4pm... i'll cool/heat this house now and wind the unit down during the peak time.

or my home solar installation is sending power to the grid but not getting much in the way of a feed in tariff, I'll find up ways to use the power on site (such as cooling the house down now rather than later).

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Capt.Whorebags posted:

One developing area that I am aware of (I work at an electricity company) is the advancement of spot pricing in domestic electricity market, and the integration of home power generation with consumption and pricing signals.

e.g. my retailer tells me that there is ample cheap supply available now and will offer me a discount kw/h rate for the next two hours, but then the rate will go up significantly from 4pm... i'll cool/heat this house now and wind the unit down during the peak time.

or my home solar installation is sending power to the grid but not getting much in the way of a feed in tariff, I'll find up ways to use the power on site (such as cooling the house down now rather than later).

gently caress spot pricing for residential users. Texas had their spot price go up from $21 per MW-h to $9,000 per MW-h last Feb. Commercial and industrial should be shutdown first and everything should be done to keep power on at residential locations as long as possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the truth is is that people are stuck on the idea that physical buttons are somehow cheap and simple while digital stuff is complicated and expensive where the truth is physical controls add a bunch of design and component costs and microcontrollers cost basically nothing now.

Just cutting the hole in a metal appliance to add a control panel probably costs more than ten microcontrollers with wifi at this point.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the truth is is that people are stuck on the idea that physical buttons are somehow cheap and simple while digital stuff is complicated and expensive where the truth is physical controls add a bunch of design and component costs and microcontrollers cost basically nothing now.

Just cutting the hole in a metal appliance to add a control panel probably costs more than ten microcontrollers with wifi at this point.

Pretty much every programmable thermostat build in the last 20 years has been built with a microcontroller. You don't need to have cloud access and wifi on it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

The purpose I can think of for internet on appliances you don't use remotely is for interfaces. A thermostat doesn't generally need to talk to anyone to do its job, but if you're trying to set up some fancy scheduled thing by time & zone, it'd be a lot easier to do that on a computer than on a tiny screen on the thermostat itself.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A wifi controller in a MCU is actually fairly expensive, it forces you into a higher-end part instead of something very simple/cheap ($0.10), and even in those part ranges it increases cost a bunch vs the same capability of chip without wifi (which is like ~$2 vs ~$1, but still). Plus the actual radio parts.

Membrane switches are also much cheaper than touchscreens, but if you've decided to put a touchscreen on it already they're not cheaper than nothing. They're not the nice-feeling buttons though, they're like what's on the cheapest microwave at wallmart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

karthun posted:

gently caress spot pricing for residential users. Texas had their spot price go up from $21 per MW-h to $9,000 per MW-h last Feb. Commercial and industrial should be shutdown first and everything should be done to keep power on at residential locations as long as possible.

Yeah I'm not talking about exposure to the spot wholesale market, although some retailers are offering that. More likely that there will be some pricing mechanism for demand management, rather than flat tariffs or inflexible time of use tariffs; or that variable feed-in tariffs for solar generation could be offered instead of an unchanging feed-in tariff with a cap on exports.

Then again, USA seems to have some massive aversion to variable interest rate mortgages so spot pricing might be considered witchcraft over there.

Capt.Whorebags fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Oct 14, 2021