Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

VKB really hits that sweet spot of providing good quality niche products for enthusiasts without charging an arm and a leg for them. You would not expect such good value from such a small company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I finally picked up the M20R Ovation from the store now that Carenado fixed its fuel selector, and it's a fun old plane! The proto-Garmin is a fun limitation to work through, but it's nice to have alongside the steam gauges. It's finicky about fuel flow and temperature at startup, so I kept killing the engine at idle speeds. Reminds me of IL-2 planes.

I've also mostly figured out ILS (so THAT'S what that alarm sound was when I came in for landings!), but I can't quite tell why sometimes when I hit AP with APR mode enabled my altitude seems to stick, or the glideslope is otherwise misaligned and I don't drop right. I do seem to line up with the runway, but then have to bail on the APR when I'm not actually losing any altitude. ALT hold is off, but I'm also landing in kinda rinky-dink places most of the time, so I wonder if they're just misconfigured in-game for that approach. It's been fun looking up and learning to read actual airport diagrams, though.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Oct 8, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Do any of the planes handle altitude in APR mode? I thought other than the tubeliners you had to manage throttle yourself to stay on the approach and the APR mode just kept it pointed.

I tend to "Jerry" my planes onto the runway, so I'm not a great reference though. A properly lined up approach just feels like it takes so much longer than a diving spiral towards the numbers.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Squiggle posted:

I finally picked up the M20R Ovation from the store now that Carenado fixed its fuel selector, and it's a fun old plane! The proto-Garmin is a fun limitation to work through, but it's nice to have alongside the steam gauges. It's finicky about fuel flow and temperature at startup, so I kept killing the engine at idle speeds. Reminds me of IL-2 planes.

I've also mostly figured out ILS (so THAT'S what that alarm sound was when I came in for landings!), but I can't quite tell why sometimes when I hit AP with APR mode enabled my altitude seems to stick, or the glideslope is otherwise misaligned and I don't drop right. I do seem to line up with the runway, but then have to bail on the APR when I'm not actually losing any altitude. ALT hold is off, but I'm also landing in kinda rinky-dink places most of the time, so I wonder if they're just misconfigured in-game for that approach. It's been fun looking up and learning to read actual airport diagrams, though.

I'm not 100% sure but I've had issues with non ILS automatic pilot landings.. if it's not ILS I use the NAV glideslope and just you know.. fly 'er in manually.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

FunOne posted:

Do any of the planes handle altitude in APR mode? I thought other than the tubeliners you had to manage throttle yourself to stay on the approach and the APR mode just kept it pointed.

I tend to "Jerry" my planes onto the runway, so I'm not a great reference though. A properly lined up approach just feels like it takes so much longer than a diving spiral towards the numbers.

I've had success with the Diamond DA62 and IIRC P. Gatcomb demonstrated how to get AP to capture/follow glideslope in the Bonanza. You do still generally need to handle throttle but only to manage speed, not for altitude. It should be noted that to my understanding only RNAV and ILS approaches will let the AP handle glideslope, a LOC approach only handles the heading.

The P. Gatcomb videos:
ILS Approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3OHH06mUs
RNAV Approach
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrWAiXUfK9k

Scruff McGruff fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Oct 8, 2021

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

For the ILS to work, make sure you've got the correct localizer frequency tuned in the nav radio (airnav.com should have links to every publicly available approach chart in the US, since the sim doesn't seem to list them anywhere), and that you're intercepting the glide slope from below, since autopilots won't capture the glide slope if you're substantially above it.

As for the M20 engine dying at idle, that's actually a bug, and given Carenado's track record, it's unclear if or when it'll ever get fixed.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I've been trying to make sure I'm at altitude when I pass over the ILS activation point, but that's a good tip - I'll try coming at it from below, see if that catches. As far as I know, the ILS frequencies have been good - they resolve on the Garmins. So - just to confirm it, that means it's possible to catch the horizontal but not the vertical? I bet that's what happened.

EDIT: Yep! That seems to be it. I came in about 150ft below the ILS waypoint and when the tone went off I hit APR/AP and it pulled me in. Awesome tip, thanks!

The only place in-sim I've seen them is by adding the Navaids to the World Map and selecting the ILS point just short of the runway. It'll give the frequency in the little stats window. But that's only really helpful if you're pre-planning an IFR flightplan.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 8, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Imo use fsxmap.com for frequencies. Can't speak for US, but I've regularly come across airports where the in game frequencies don't match airnav/skyvector

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Lord Stimperor posted:

Imo use fsxmap.com for frequencies. Can't speak for US, but I've regularly come across airports where the in game frequencies don't match airnav/skyvector

That's a great site, added to my bookmarks. Generally if I'm doing an RNAV or ILS approach i'm doing it in the WT CJ4, it's pretty good at getting the right frequency when you set up the approach on the FMS. On the few occasions it hasn't found it, I've used the approach plates on chartfox. There are a few mistakes in the game though, I mentioned before that one of the Iceland airports has the frequency for runway 01 gives the frequency for runway 10 and the 01 localiser just doesn't work.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Yup, everytime I think I'm going to learn VOR/DME approaches the freqs just don't work.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

skooma512 posted:

Yup, everytime I think I'm going to learn VOR/DME approaches the freqs just don't work.

They still haven’t really sorted it. I haven’t done enough testing to really figure out what’s wrong, but several times I’ve been flying /U and had intersections that were several NM in the wrong place. The nav radio system seems to be misindexed to the ground somehow. I submitted some bug reports in the Alpha, but they seem to have been ignored/closed unsolved.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I thought I had an example of a VOR frequency mis-match between reality and the sim, but I uh forgot they're line-of-sight. Getting over the continental divide helped. Trying my first VOR-to-VOR flight, and it's a relief to hear the morse code.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Squiggle posted:

I thought I had an example of a VOR frequency mis-match between reality and the sim, but I uh forgot they're line-of-sight. Getting over the continental divide helped. Trying my first VOR-to-VOR flight, and it's a relief to hear the morse code.

I was circling the VOR I wanted, that the VFR map and Airnav said was there, but nothing through the spreakers or on the compass. This was in Tasmania in the DC-6.

Also, is it just me or does the weather radar not work in FBW A320?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Squiggle posted:

I've been trying to make sure I'm at altitude when I pass over the ILS activation point, but that's a good tip - I'll try coming at it from below, see if that catches. As far as I know, the ILS frequencies have been good - they resolve on the Garmins. So - just to confirm it, that means it's possible to catch the horizontal but not the vertical? I bet that's what happened.

EDIT: Yep! That seems to be it. I came in about 150ft below the ILS waypoint and when the tone went off I hit APR/AP and it pulled me in. Awesome tip, thanks!

The only place in-sim I've seen them is by adding the Navaids to the World Map and selecting the ILS point just short of the runway. It'll give the frequency in the little stats window. But that's only really helpful if you're pre-planning an IFR flightplan.

Normally it should be able to pick up the glideslope even if you're a bit too high, as long you're within the PAPI lights I think. At 10 miles out, that's quite a broad window, intercepting the glide slope from further away also helps.

What comes to mind for the Ovation in particular: this plane has a complication compared to other planes. Namely, I think you have not only two NAV radios available, but you also have 2 CDIs that may be tuned to different frequencies. But only one of them (I think the bottom one) is able to provide vertical guidance to the autopilot. It's the one that also has the vertically moving horizontal bar, and shows a crosshair when you're established on slope. There being two theoretically independent CDIs is a source of error so I learned to double check that the important one is tuned to the ILS.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

skooma512 posted:

Also, is it just me or does the weather radar not work in FBW A320?
It should work for precipitation only, I believe.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I haven't seen anyone mention them it, but while they're waiting out chip shortages and getting the tooling in order for the Charlie Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb's been designing a new HOTAS set.

Sigma Tau

$120 for the stick (Q1 2022 supposedly), $300 for the two together (Q2 2022). Looks pretty good. Would've liked at least $50 knocked off the combo price.

This is different from the other HOTAS set they've been working on, the Tango Foxtrot. That one is still in the works, apparently. They showcased it during a recent event, along with their Lima chair, which... just looks like a typical gaming chair but with built-in peripheral mounts? I think this is going to be a higher-end set compared to the Sigma Tau. There looks to be more movey bits on it.

omg I want all of this :eyepop:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

e.pilot posted:

omg I want all of this :eyepop:

You can remove the stick and then stow the whole thing in your flight kit

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Animal posted:

You can remove the stick and then stow the whole thing in your flight kit

I need to put flight sim on my win3 so I can fly while I fly

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

e.pilot posted:

I need to put flight sim on my win3 so I can fly while I fly

I've seen someone doing that in a crew room. I assume they were killing time on reserve and we're trying to maintain proficiency, but it still struck me as a bit odd.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
it’d be lol to race the flight I was flying

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Well god drat I finally got around to getting Neofly set up and this is just about exactly what I wanted out of MSFS. The career structure is cool as poo poo, and it's not that hard to get going.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Squiggle posted:

Well god drat I finally got around to getting Neofly set up and this is just about exactly what I wanted out of MSFS. The career structure is cool as poo poo, and it's not that hard to get going.

I haven't tried any of the alternatives before so I don't know if this is unique to NeoFly but I really enjoy some of the little stuff they add. Like if you're doing a sensitive cargo delivery and land too hard you get to hear all the glass beakers you've got in back shatter before the ops manager radios you to tell you you're a failure that's definitely not getting paid.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Squiggle posted:

Be aware that number-go-up is kind of addictive, I have a fleet of 747s in my hangar

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013

Scruff McGruff posted:

I haven't tried any of the alternatives before so I don't know if this is unique to NeoFly but I really enjoy some of the little stuff they add. Like if you're doing a sensitive cargo delivery and land too hard you get to hear all the glass beakers you've got in back shatter before the ops manager radios you to tell you you're a failure that's definitely not getting paid.

I've just started messing with some of the alternative mission types like the wild fire missions and have been really enjoying them. I had been using NeoFly to generate flights for a cross country tour, which has been great, but using the alternative missions to get out of the point to point routine has been incredibly refreshing. The fires are cool because you have to really engage with the terrain around you, getting angles to attack the fire and looking for suitable locations/angles to refill on water. It just gives you a reason to fly the plane by hand fairly aggressively, which is fun.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

My first wildfire mission had me fly to a fire for 30 minutes. It then turned out that my plane was carrying enough water to extinguish 1 (one) of the five fires there, and the closest body of water was like 10 minutes away. :mad: fight the drat fire yourself bitches

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Reading this thread it seems FS2020's ATC is still complete rubbish. I have enough nerd in me to pay for both Navigraph Charts and maybe a career mode add-on, but to round that out I'd like to be adhering to some ATC rather than just doing whatever. And actually getting feedback on it.

I do not, however, want to be talking to some nerd, out-loud, at 2am while the sensible people in the house are trying to sleep, whether that nerd be a nerd in the US I'm paying $35 for the privilege of listening to me or a 15 year old who's dream of being a professional pilot will be shattered in three years when he gets to be a professional pilot.

Flight Simulators are always so close to getting just close enough to let you play them as something fun, but are constantly falling short unless you want to rivet count or whine about fuel mix and prop sounds.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
following ATC isn’t very fun though, neither is career mode

getting in a plane and flying it around is pretty fun

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Lord Stimperor posted:

My first wildfire mission had me fly to a fire for 30 minutes. It then turned out that my plane was carrying enough water to extinguish 1 (one) of the five fires there, and the closest body of water was like 10 minutes away. :mad: fight the drat fire yourself bitches

Neofly sent me to a bugged airport that doesn't exist that's within a few miles of a working one, in the dark. The fake one was on a hill.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
ATC sucks* and I've never once been flying and thought to myself, "wow, I like listening to this guy, it's a real treat, I wish I could also do this when I'm flying pretend planes on my computer."

What is it you'd like ATC to add to your sim experience that's not available? If it's "the unexpected" I think there's probably a better way to do that than a full simulation of ATC. If it's realism... well, full procedure approaches are more fun and interesting than vectors to final anyway. Just pretend you've had a radio failure.

* Following ATC sucks, but having ATC around to help guide planes is obviously quite loving good. In a game where I don't have to worry about what other people are doing, though? gently caress that.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

It's almost like people enjoy simulating different aspects of flight within a flight simulator!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The only time I tried to use the ATC features the robot just repeated the weather forecast over and over again nonstop and I couldn't send anything.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
it would at least be nice if the ATC didn't make you use a runway with a tailwind and that you game stats would count takeoffs and landings properly. not very good at listening to the plan I put in the FMS

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

withak posted:

The only time I tried to use the ATC features the robot just repeated the weather forecast over and over again nonstop and I couldn't send anything.

you were tuned to the ATIS

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So was there a small patch in the last week or something ?

I suddenly have stutters when flying now. Which I didn’t have last time I flew a week or so ago

Like every 30 seconds the game stops for 1 second

Super annoying to say the least

I’ll update my video drivers and such but nothing else changed that I’m aware of

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

I'd like it if the ATC was a lot more dynamic than it is currently. The couple of times I've requested approach vectors on an IFR flight I've been given the initial vector then nothing, working approach and missed approach vectors would be cool. Also if more was added to restricted airspace transitions, I think it always gives you unrestricted access if you ask now. It'd be neat if it could refuse and give instructions around it or guide you through safely (like cleared but stay 10 miles east of tower on heading X or something). Also NOTAMs in the game and radar/flight following giving you notice of them, things like planned drone activity, temporary restricted zones etc.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kemikalkadet posted:

you were tuned to the ATIS

It started out telling talking to me about normal ATC stuff but when it came time to hit "1" or whatever to send something back it just started spewing out weather.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Pretty new to MSFS, enjoying it, but regarding ATC I would just like to copilot to stop changing my full landing intentions to a touch and go for no reason which makes me have to repeat what I want to do to ATC. I like interacting with the in-game ATC though most of the time.

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
The crazy part to me is that the FSX ATC was like, significantly better. It wasn't very complex but it at least accomplished what it tried to do. You could follow ATC directions completely on an IFR flight and end up right where you needed to be, and it sort of managed a moderate AI load. For some reason FS2020 is a big step backwards.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kemikalkadet posted:

Also NOTAMs in the game and radar/flight following giving you notice of them

I don’t read NOTAMs in real life. I’m going to work you around any airspace or hazards, but loving reading NOTAMs. The NOTAM system IRL is more broken than the FS ATC system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

MrYenko posted:

I don’t read NOTAMs in real life. I’m going to work you around any airspace or hazards, but loving reading NOTAMs. The NOTAM system IRL is more broken than the FS ATC system.

Welcome to SomethingAwful, Senator Inhofe.

Seriously though, the NOTAM system is comically broken, and I don't think anyone actually reads all of them for a given flight.

There's been a NOTAM that SEA doesn't have 100LL available published every day for the last five years, and despite the fact that the unavailability is permanent, that stupid NOTAM still shows up every time I fly there, and it's occasionally listed above things like taxiway or navaid closures that might actually matter to someone.