Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Samsung is doing the same. It's part of their "Discover Samsung" marketing campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm pretty tempted but I really wish they had a bit better battery life. My main concern if I get one is that I won't remember to charge it rendering it useless.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mystes posted:

I'm pretty tempted but I really wish they had a bit better battery life. My main concern if I get one is that I won't remember to charge it rendering it useless.

Dunno if battery is worse with the new one, but I had the 40 mm active 2 and battery was fine. Similar use, about an hour of gps for biking or running, always on display (but no raise to wake), continuous heart rate, and always got through the day with like 30-40% left. Definitely a charge every day watch, but at least for me it was good enough to wear all day, overnight for sleep tracking, then charge in the morning before work.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I ordered one... Probably going to regret this but oh well.I just hope the wear os ecosystem improves with samsung switching to it now.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

mystes posted:

Amazon has a bundle with a Galaxy Watch 4 and wireless charger for $230 today: https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Smartwatch-Monitor-Detection-Bluetooth/dp/B099Y7SPHC

Probably good for my wallet that the Classic isn't in this sale.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

sourdough posted:

Dunno if battery is worse with the new one, but I had the 40 mm active 2 and battery was fine. Similar use, about an hour of gps for biking or running, always on display (but no raise to wake), continuous heart rate, and always got through the day with like 30-40% left. Definitely a charge every day watch, but at least for me it was good enough to wear all day, overnight for sleep tracking, then charge in the morning before work.

Tizen always had better battery life than wear os but my watch 4 classic 46mm has no issues.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

v1ld posted:

My Aug 15th Fold 3 pre-order from Google Fi is supposed to finally get here this week - I dawdled for a couple days to check reviews before ordering and that dragged it out by a month and a week on delivery.

Will that Samsung Store pre-order $150 bonus still apply? It better!

The answer to this is that you can apply for the Samsung Store pre-order bonus on a Z Fold/Flip pre-order bought between Aug 11th and 30th up up until Sep 26th. FYI if you are waiting on checking on that bonus.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

hooah posted:

I'm in the same boat with my 5-year-old 2nd generation Moto 360. The metal case is somewhat beat up, but the glass is fine. But of course I got a hairline scratch on my Pixel 5's screen within a month or two, which is like the third screen scratch on a phone I've ever had.

amazing, I have a small drawer of phones with cracked displays and I've gone through four screen protectors in 8 months on my OneTouch 7T.

I am pretty throw-and-go with everything and I gently caress around with tools a lot despite not being that coordinated. Unsure how a $400 watch is going to fit into that but we'll see. stuff on my wrist is less likely to get hosed up than stuff in my pockets.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mystes posted:

Can anyone who uses maps (especially any app that allows navigation with premade gpx routes) on wear os say how it is?
So for reference in case anyone else ever wants something like this, Locus Maps works decently for this. You can just load a gpx file so you can see a route on your watch which is what I wanted.

There are various caveats though: It's not standalone (you have to have the app on your phone) and annoyingly the author is trying to switch from a one time payment version to a subscription for the premium version although I'm not sure whether or not that's even necessary for the watch support, so there's a $10 pro version of Locus Maps 3 on google play as well as Locus Map 4 which has a premium subscription version and I just bought the old pro version for offline support in case I need it. Also, I haven't tested whether you can actually navigate with directions from a tcx file yet like every garmin device from the last 15 years but it seems like it's supposed to.

It's too bad the wear os ecosystem is so terrible that more navigation apps don't have support for this though.

Also, having never used wear os I just have to comment on how laughable it is that there's an outlook app but on a gmail app. I can't believe the degree to which google has half assed this whole thing. Also the maps app apparently can't do layers or even just show you your starred locations?

mystes fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 25, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
My watch 4 is supposed to show up today.

Has anyone gone through their process to load the modded health app and corresponding modded phone app on to their devices? Looks like basic apk poo poo....

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I did. I did the whole adb step from my phone using an adb app. It was very straightforward when following the instructions.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Zorro KingOfEngland posted:

I did. I did the whole adb step from my phone using an adb app. It was very straightforward when following the instructions.

I am sorry but I am dumb and confused, which directions specifically did you follow?

Also, do I need to do any other setup prior, in terms of the official apps etc?

edit: litrally an instructions.txt at the root of the drive, i am not that much of a boomer. yet

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 27, 2021

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

edit: Got everything working but drat is 1.6oz a lot, I might return the Classic and get a normal Watch4 because the battery is the same, it's 5% smaller and weighs..... 40% less.

edit: gonna try to stick with it for 2 weeks and get more comfortable bands, i think the contact on my wrist bothers me as much as the weight and that is not gonna change, so i get used to it, or not

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 28, 2021

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Watch decided to track my heart rate in metric units for most of this ride :D

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I just woke up to my watch and took a call on it

Im dick fuckin Tracy. More important, the exterior door for my grow shed is being dropped off today.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally calibrated the blood pressure monitoring on my watch 4 classic, which requires three tests with a real blood pressure monitor, and the watch readings are now bang on with my absurdly expensive real BP monitor. Pretty impressive and maybe the first thing that could "trap" me with Samsung rather than freely moving around between Android phones.

Although I know there is a hack to use it on Pixels etc.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

How do you reinstall the Galaxy Store on the Watch 4? I think I deleted it by mistake when cleaning up the pre-installed apps. Don't see a way to get it back on.

Want to enable that nifty BP monitoring ^^^. The BP app only seems available through the Galaxy Store on the watch.

E: The Galaxy Store app is still installed, wasn't deleted though I probably asked it to be - but there's no longer an icon for it so I can't open. Lovely.

It's installed because I can go through settings and get it to check for updates, but it doesn't let me do anything else in that view. Also shows up in Permissions where I can tweak its access rights. Just no icon to launch with.

Let me know if anyone has any ideas, else it's time to lookup how to do a factory reset I guess.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Oct 7, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There is no direct access to the galaxy store on the watch other then the update section you see in the settings.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

This link on setting up BP monitoring says I have to install the app on the watch using the Galaxy Store: https://www.samsung.com/au/support/mobile-devices/measure-bp-on-samsung-watch/ ("On your compatible Samsung watch launch the Galaxy store icon Galaxy Store")

I deleted a bunch of unwanted apps on the Watch and I don't recall but I may have deleted that icon in the process.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

None of my watches have a galaxy store icon.

Those screenshots are from the Tizen watches and the instructions were last updated in July before the Wear watches came out. They are not up to date with the Watch 4.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ah, thanks for confirming that. The Tizen-specific info is confusing when searching around for this stuff.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Finally calibrated the blood pressure monitoring on my watch 4 classic, which requires three tests with a real blood pressure monitor, and the watch readings are now bang on with my absurdly expensive real BP monitor. Pretty impressive and maybe the first thing that could "trap" me with Samsung rather than freely moving around between Android phones.

I assume you did this without installing the BP Lab 2.0 app on the Watch 4 Classic? Will dig into this more tonight.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I don't have it out of the box in this country, but my assumption is that the BP monitoring is in the Samsung Health Monitor app (the same as the ECG.)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Turns out the country and other restrictions on BP and ECG measurements in Wear OS on the Galaxy Watch 4 and Classic can be removed through the sideloads here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/...r-2021.4322527/

Also discussed above on this very same page.

Happy with the watch hardware so far. The 46mm initially felt very large and a bit heavy but feels pretty good now a day and a half in. Screen is great and it's snappy so far.

As someone who hasn't used any watch for a couple decades, I'm surprised at how soon I got to not noticing it's on my wrist.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

v1ld posted:

Ah, thanks for confirming that. The Tizen-specific info is confusing when searching around for this stuff.

I assume you did this without installing the BP Lab 2.0 app on the Watch 4 Classic? Will dig into this more tonight.

I just needed the Samsung health monitor app on my phone. (Australia)

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'm in the US and hadn't realized the BP monitor was blocked here. That Tizen page then confused the heck out of me.

I'll do those sideloads soon. Sounds pretty safe.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

It's pretty much the only time something has been allowed in Australia and not in America. Besides prostitution and saying the c word I guess.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Do any watches give you your body temperature? Or is that another thing that watches can do but is disabled due to regulatory hurdles?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Do any watches give you your body temperature? Or is that another thing that watches can do but is disabled due to regulatory hurdles?

I mean, if you have a bluetooth thermometer under your tongue or in your butt, I guess your watch could sync with it maybe?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

sourdough posted:

I mean, if you have a bluetooth thermometer under your tongue or in your butt, I guess your watch could sync with it maybe?

#LifeGoals

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I guess the forehead thermometers aren't super inaccurate, so it isn't as silly as I made it sound lol :kiddo:

edit: but the answer is no, I haven't seen any watch that does that, or anyone even talking about it as a nice future feature

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Body temperature at the extremities fluctuates too much.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Hey, Mobvoi released the Ticwatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS today (phew, I hope my watch tracked the workout to say that full name.)

Still the same 4100 with 1gb of ram and 8gb storage. But this time they added a coprocessor to the system for sensor stuff and always on display stuff. It is not the 4100+ though, it seems like rather than use the coprocessors from the 4100+, they felt it was better to overclock a 4100 (to 2ghz) and add their own coprocessors. I wonder how much of that is supply chain stuff and how much of that is the 4100+ kinda sucking. It's also allowing them to do Bluetooth 5.0 instead of 4.2 for some reason.

New sensors are included and the watch can detect afib now (though I don't know that it has true ECG, looks like it's based on heart rate monitoring) It also tries to do a sort of fatigue tracking thing by tracking variances in heart rate.

Physically the watch is nearly the same though they mention stainless steel now. I'm assuming that's the bezel surrounding the display which is an indeterminate material on the old one (I want to say either plastic or painted aluminum) as the body is still nylon. The glass is also now Gorilla Glass and the whole watch is apparently built to MIL-STD-810G now.

Same giant battery that is supposed to last even longer now with the coprocessor running some of the always on functions. They've also upgraded the backlight for the LCD overlay display and is much brighter as well as customizable in like 16 different colors.

Reviews so far show pretty good heartrate tracking and the Mobvoi fitness stuff is ok if annoying to have fitness data fragmented to another ecosystem. WearOS 2.0 obviously for now, but probably the best WearOS 2.0 experience you'll have.

I think the $299 price is a little high for 1gb of RAM and 8gb of storage when Samsung is doing 1.5gb of ram and 16gb of storage for $20 less on the normal models and I do worry about 1gb of ram on WearOS 3 when Samsung went 1.5gb out of the gate.

That said, it's probably the only non-samsung watch worth buying. The Fossil Gen 6 may look a bit dressier and would be better for small wristed people, but the tiny rear end 1.28" screen and the even tinier 300mAh battery is just junk at a $300 price level for a watch that's overall 44mm case (they seriously need to upgrade that display). Fossil's fast charging is just telling me that the battery will probably give out in 9 months rather than 13 now (though maybe that's a boon since you can get a warranty replacement.) The Ticwatch has a battery 92% larger than the Fossil and has the dual screen design. It can easily be a 4 day smartwatch if you keep lift to wake from turning on the OLED screen. The prior one is still the watch I turn to for a weekend away since I know I won't have to bring along a charger and the new one should be even better with the coprocessor.

The prior gen is on sale for $249 right now as well making it a decent option.

I like my Watch 4 and it's still my favorite device, but I will say RIGHT NOW, you aren't really missing out on much not having Wear 3.0. The existence of the Samsung watches has been enough to propmpt a flurry of app updates that have improve the situation for all which is probably what google was hoping for. The next thing I'm looking forward with the platform is Wear 3.0 to finally get a proper health and fitness core built in so you don't have to be locked into a fitness platform like Samsung health or Tic health.

Finally, I'm going to point out again that both Samsung and Mobvoi secure the back plate of their watch with SCREWS AND GASKETS rather than glue like Fossil. I feel more reviewers need to make a bigger deal about this. While having easier access to the backplate doesn't necessarily mean battery replacement would be easier, it at LEAST makes it a possibility without destroying the device like it is with the Fossil watches.

In fact, here's a Watch 4 teardown to show how insanely easy it is to get to the battery in it and otherwise repair it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae0j5OzSCDA

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Does WearOS respect Do Not Disturb settings on your phone?

I'm having issues with my Garmin still buzzing despite DnD being on, and I'm wondering if better integration could be a reason to switch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Wear used to sync DnD, then they changed it so it's independent.

The Watch 4 will sync DnD status if you want, but only on a Samsung phone.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Hey, Mobvoi released the Ticwatch Pro 3 Ultra GPS today (phew, I hope my watch tracked the workout to say that full name.)

They're running a sale on the Ticwatch E3 right now that is really tempting me at $149. I like my Ticwatch E2, but the E3 has a 4100 processor, pulse oximeter, and a speaker in addition to microphone so I could answer calls on my wrist. My E2 has been great, but have a faster version that can check my blood oxygenation and let me answer calls from my watch is making me consider it.

I got my E2 for a song as it was refurbished, but I really have grown to appreciate it. Being able to handle texts without digging out my phone has been liberating, as has never having my phone make noise and instead just having my watch vibrate has been awesome.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

They're running a sale on the Ticwatch E3 right now that is really tempting me at $149. I like my Ticwatch E2, but the E3 has a 4100 processor, pulse oximeter, and a speaker in addition to microphone so I could answer calls on my wrist. My E2 has been great, but have a faster version that can check my blood oxygenation and let me answer calls from my watch is making me consider it.

I got my E2 for a song as it was refurbished, but I really have grown to appreciate it. Being able to handle texts without digging out my phone has been liberating, as has never having my phone make noise and instead just having my watch vibrate has been awesome.

We told you!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

We told you!

Well, yeah, but I'd already pulled the trigger and it was only like $60 for the E2. I'm happy enough with it I am kind of torn about upgrading, but I like it so much that a faster version with more capabilities is really calling to me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Well, yeah, but I'd already pulled the trigger and it was only like $60 for the E2. I'm happy enough with it I am kind of torn about upgrading, but I like it so much that a faster version with more capabilities is really calling to me.

I'm using a ZenWatch 2 that I think my girlfriend bought five years ago for $30 for the same reason. On the one hand, it does everything I want or need it to do. On the other, new/shiny. Every time I think about it I just come back to the fact that this thing is doing fine.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I had no envy of anyone the years I used my Pebble Steel. I only went full smartwatch cause the Huawei Watch 2 came with my P20 Pro. Then I got the Ticwatch pro 3 because the Hauwei was slow af especially when launching the tap app which was very annoying when going through checkouts. Now theres really nothing thats out there to make me desire an upgrade again, until something comes out with week+ always on display battery.

I do wish there were some interesting new watch faces. There's just nothing unless you pick one of those battery sucking watchface stores. Gf has a cool one on her fitbit that mimics the Stardew Valley UI but there doesn't seem to be anything like that on wearos. Why are so many watch faces analog as well? Get outta here with that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LastInLine posted:

I'm using a ZenWatch 2 that I think my girlfriend bought five years ago for $30 for the same reason. On the one hand, it does everything I want or need it to do. On the other, new/shiny. Every time I think about it I just come back to the fact that this thing is doing fine.

I gave in and ordered it while the sale is still going on. Taking phone calls on my wrist and having it work as a pulse oximeter was just too tempting. Not sure if I'll keep the E2 around as backup or give it to someone or what. I really like it, but the E3 is faster and is actually supposed to get Wear OS 3 so should stay a little more current.

Of course now I need to order a spare charger for the E3, since of course they are different. And they take different bands so I had to order another one for the E3 since I think they look way better with brown leather bands.