Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Brendan Rodgers posted:

drat I was taught about them like 8 years ago. What a bunch of outdated pricks my tutors were.

I work in ESL and there are still currently references to those learning styles in my company's official teaching and lesson planning guidelines. I only found out that it's bollocks a few months ago, though I'd thought for some time that it didn't really make sense or seem actually important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wondered about flint, but I've never seen flint IRL either so I wouldn't know.

Considering getting a rock tumbler just to see how random rocks polish up.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

You guys are running out of plants and animals too?

https://twitter.com/HelpingRhinos/status/1448162835486314500?s=20

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Audiobook wise, I will generally go for something narrated by either Nick Pohdell, Ray Porter, RC Bray or Wil Wheaton.

I've found they all have range to give all the characters different and believable voices.

If however you want to just grab a selection of books for free and gave an audible account, go to https://www.freeaudiobookcodes.com/ where authors offer up their promo codes to anyone that wants them. It appears that it must be US people that use the site as there's nearly always GB codes available.

Grab a many as you want, you don't have to sign up or provide any details.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

I wondered about flint, but I've never seen flint IRL either so I wouldn't know.

Considering getting a rock tumbler just to see how random rocks polish up.

Probably very attractively, but family legend has it that when my mum did this in about 1968 the noise drove my dad batty.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Do you have a child, nephew or niece in their teens who can reasonably be expected to test positive for covid on a regular basis so you have to stay at home?

Nah, maybe I should have cultivated a fake one just for this exact situation. If I'd needed to just pick them up from school or whatever I'd be pretty jammed up having to come into the office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Albinator posted:

Probably very attractively, but family legend has it that when my mum did this in about 1968 the noise drove my dad batty.

Hmm perhaps a bench grinder them, I would like one of those anyway and they seem cheaper than tumblers.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Tsietisin posted:

Audiobook wise, I will generally go for something narrated by either Nick Pohdell, Ray Porter, RC Bray or Wil Wheaton.

I've found they all have range to give all the characters different and believable voices.

If however you want to just grab a selection of books for free and gave an audible account, go to https://www.freeaudiobookcodes.com/ where authors offer up their promo codes to anyone that wants them. It appears that it must be US people that use the site as there's nearly always GB codes available.

Grab a many as you want, you don't have to sign up or provide any details.

That's fantastic. Thanks!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Albinator posted:

I remember when rock polishing was all the rage as a hobby late 60s/early 70s.
We didn't do it at home, but there were always ads in magazines for a machine for a money-making hobby.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I got my Covid booster and flu jab today.
I'm gonna feel like poo poo tomorrow, aren't I?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're just lab ball mills but backwards. But those are more expensive than rock tumblers so that's not especially useful. The motors are quieter though.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

kingturnip posted:

No I'm sure it cancels out

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I heard they were doing both at the same time, I asume they just load an over/under with two syringes and tag you with it from across the room.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've got one next Friday and the other the Monday after in different places (in the county, I assume they both go in my arm).

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Gripweed posted:

You guys are running out of plants and animals too?

https://twitter.com/HelpingRhinos/status/1448162835486314500?s=20

I saw a squished mog when driving back from work.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
When i had a job that let me listen to headphones all day Audible was a godsend.

You can get the complete sherlock holmes for a single credit! Theres even a version read by Stephen Fry now too, with introductory essays to pad that runtime out.

Also recomended are big thick fantasy series that are like 45 hours each . I started with yhe Sword of truth because my brother recomended me the first book years ago. Really don't loving bother with that series though it quickly turns into objectivist twaddle. I Powered through out of sheer morbid curiosity but it wasn't worth it.

Instead listen to The Wheel of Time series, despite sagging a little in the middle (author dragged the series out a tad to keep the money coming in while his wife had cancer) its a meaty fantasy series with an actual ending (the original author died of cancer but picked out another author to finish the story and provided copious notes). Its pretty unique for a 90s fantasy in that 50% of the cast are women and theres barely any weird sex stuff. The audiobooks are great too, theres two narrators one male and one female who read the chapters based on the focus chatacter which works really well. You get to hear a different voice for each character depending if the chapter's pov is make or female. The sexual politics have aged okay too which is good because the setting leans heavily into that stuff. Its all a bit binary with women and men having different magic but I liked it a lot. Theres an Amazon series based on it coming out next month so you too could be the insufferable person in the room who points out all the changes from the books too.

But yeah if amount of content versus money spent is less of a factor theres a billion celebrity autobiographies etc. I listened to Adam buxton and Louis Theroux's latest back to back recently, which was fun apart from the bits about Bad Dad and jimmy savile which were sad and uppsetting respectively.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

kingturnip posted:

OwlFancier posted:

I heard they were doing both at the same time, I asume they just load an over/under with two syringes and tag you with it from across the room.

I posted before about how they're gonna give us vulnerable people both at the same time. It is scary in that it's two sets of side effects. I remember in school once they gave us two vaccinations simultaneously, our arms were insanely sore, and everyone started punching each other on the injection area.

Better than the alternative though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Technically the punching each other is a side effect.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mr Phillby posted:

You can get the complete sherlock holmes for a single credit!

As its public domain, you can find a lot of Sherlock Holme old shows on Youtube.
I work on computer at home so can have those in the background.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
There are countless long running series on there, some multiple cast, mostly single narrator. You just got to bare in mind that if you want to read some long serious heavy tome which you would usually take notes for then the same applies for the audiobook as well.

You also ain’t gonna to get a phenomenal voice actor to read “a very long and boring book about an obscure branch of physics” or “obscure science fiction book 8 people will read”. You are going to get the author and he will be dull.

People ragging on audiobooks itt is some odd poo poo, because in 2021 there are millions of them to choose from across every genre and it’s making people seem super ignant

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

learnincurve posted:

People ragging on audiobooks itt is some odd poo poo, because in 2021 there are millions of them to choose from across every genre and it’s making people seem super ignant

I'm not ragging on audiobooks, I was saying that the problem is with me. I'm happy for people that like them, and I wish I liked them too. I've listened to some that have very respected readers, like Steven Pacey.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm not ragging on audiobooks, I though I was clear that the problem is with me. I'm happy for people that like them, and I wish I liked them too. I 've read some that have very respected readers, like Steven Pacey.

Nah not the “I can’t process audio stuff” replies, the smug oh there are only a few narrators oh ho ho replies.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I r feeling personally attacked

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Thandiwe Newton reading Jane Eyre is very good.

I also liked Good Omens read by Martin Jarvis, but that was partially nostalgia for the Just William audiobooks we had as a kid. But as that book grew out of a Just William idea, it's very fitting.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tsietisin posted:

Shut up, Wesley

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

An ex-boyfriend bought me the Feynman Lectures on Physics on CD once for my birthday.
Then he asked if he could borrow them to copy.
Then never returned them to me and then dumped me. Bastard.

There's some audiobooks on Spotify too (free spotify).

Also this site Radio Echoes has numerous radio series including book narrations.

https://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series_all

Here's their 'World's Great Novels' collection:

https://www.radioechoes.com/?page=series&genre=OTR-Drama&series=The%20Worlds%20Great%20Novels

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 13, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I prefer Feynman when you can see his poo poo-eating grin as he explains stuff to you.

Although, I love Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman? so if there's a version with him narrating I would get into that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I once again continue to confuse feynman and stallman and if you want to see one of them in person you would definitely see him eat something.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I once again continue to confuse feynman and stallman and if you want to see one of them in person you would definitely see him eat something.

They're like opposites!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is a man not entitled to the skin of his foot? NO! Says the man in the audience, it belongs in the bin you filthy loving savage what the gently caress why are you eating your own feet on stage jesus christ.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Mr Phillby posted:

Instead listen to The Wheel of Time series, despite sagging a little in the middle (author dragged the series out a tad to keep the money coming in while his wife had cancer) its a meaty fantasy series with an actual ending (the original author died of cancer but picked out another author to finish the story and provided copious notes). Its pretty unique for a 90s fantasy in that 50% of the cast are women and theres barely any weird sex stuff. The audiobooks are great too, theres two narrators one male and one female who read the chapters based on the focus chatacter which works really well. You get to hear a different voice for each character depending if the chapter's pov is make or female. The sexual politics have aged okay too which is good because the setting leans heavily into that stuff. Its all a bit binary with women and men having different magic but I liked it a lot. Theres an Amazon series based on it coming out next month so you too could be the insufferable person in the room who points out all the changes from the books too.

*tugs braid*

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Failed Imagineer posted:

I prefer Feynman when you can see his poo poo-eating grin as he explains stuff to you.

Although, I love Surely You're Joking, Mr Feynman? so if there's a version with him narrating I would get into that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVbtOHiskbg

No idea if this is the whole book btw or a discussion of the book!

Just reread your post, I doubt this is him narrating it!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVbtOHiskbg

No idea if this is the whole book btw or a discussion of the book!

Just reread your post, I doubt this is him narrating it!

Saved for the workday, ta!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I was today years old when I heard of Stallman.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was today years old when I heard of Stallman.

It's literally just because richard feynman/richard stallman and they are both like big brain dudes of some description, and I think both were the subject of XKCD strips which is probably where I heard of both of them.

Otherwise aside from feynman being a physicist and stallman being a nerd and apparent sex pest who eats his own feet in public that is literally the sum total of my knowledge.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

But seriously, is anybody in Britain doing anything about the fact that you don't have any nature?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Gripweed posted:

But seriously, is anybody in Britain doing anything about the fact that you don't have any nature?

I doubt it. If it is a live creature the toffs like killing it and if it is green stuff, the toffs like covering it in concrete.

I have however shared your BBC link on my Facebook where I fear I am talking to the converted.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 13, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Gripweed posted:

They added beavers to the fens apparently.

But no broadly this is not a large island and it has quite a lot of people living on it and virtually all the land is covered in farms of some description. The UK hasn't had much wild country for a long time, and has spent the last couple thousand years cutting it down, digging it up, pumping it out and paving it over.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's literally just because richard feynman/richard stallman and they are both like big brain dudes of some description, and I think both were the subject of XKCD strips which is probably where I heard of both of them.

Otherwise aside from feynman being a physicist and stallman being a nerd and apparent sex pest who eats his own feet in public that is literally the sum total of my knowledge.

Feynman was involved with the Manhattan Project, Stallman also had ideas for a Fat Man and Little Boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

I've read a few books that are in a new genre of "climate change apocalypse fiction", and whenever they get to "rewilding" as a solution, it always turns out that future humans think they can recreate "Nature" by just planting some grass and a single tree. I think of that whenever I walk by a "Green".