Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah Gruden's gonna be on (or at least interviewed by) Outkick and Barstool by the end of this week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Don’t forget the Uncut Podcast with Jay Cutler.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If Gruden was really planning to dig in his heels and be shameless and play the aggrieved party, wouldn't it have made sense to make Davis fire him (rather than resigning) and try to force a negotiated buyout on the rest of his contract? If he resigns and then makes the cancel culture circuit, he's essentially being a horse's rear end for free.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

General Dog posted:

If Gruden was really planning to dig in his heels and be shameless and play the aggrieved party, wouldn't it have made sense to make Davis fire him (rather than resigning) and try to force a negotiated buyout on the rest of his contract?

I don’t think he’s planning it but he’s going to get flooded with offers now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

General Dog posted:

If Gruden was really planning to dig in his heels and be shameless and play the aggrieved party, wouldn't it have made sense to make Davis fire him (rather than resigning) and try to force a negotiated buyout on the rest of his contract? If he resigns and then makes the cancel culture circuit, he's essentially being a horse's rear end for free.

His termination was pretty clearly going to be For Cause regardless of whether he officially resigned or was fired.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Forrest on Fire posted:

ESPN was where Gruden worked when these emails were sent. They have shown increased concern about their outward image and aren't going to hire a shitload of baggage back. If anyone hires Gruden next year it'll be one of the chuddy places, Fox Sports, Barstool, etc

Blaze Sports Presents Tough Take with Jon Gruden, Sage Steele and Jason Whitlock.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Gruden strikes me way more as a guy who will just gently caress off to Clearwater or somewhere and spend most of his time on a boat

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

morestuff posted:

Gruden strikes me way more as a guy who will just gently caress off to Clearwater or somewhere and spend most of his time on a boat

I think this too. He could be a right wing shock jock if he wanted. He's never seemed to be that into culture war.

His big claims to fame are a SB ring with Tony Dungy's players, and being the Packers coach that picked up Brett Favre at the airport.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Yeah his whole role in media was being the football guy that still supposedly kept up watching film all the time.

I wouldn't be surprised by some interviews eventually with a lot of laughing and you said it not me energy.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

You can disrespect me, call me the f-word, call me the r-word, call me the n-word, whatever. But you disrespect the shield? Buddy, you and me got a problem.

__________________________/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

habeasdorkus posted:

So ESPN is gonna rehire him no later than next season, right? And he's gonna get most if not all of his remaining contract from the Raiders?

Hah no, he's going to run for Congress or something on the chud ticket, except he's not worshipped in Tampa like Tommy Tuberv--ah gently caress

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We already have two Republican Senators here in FL so it’s not like it could get worse

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I’m going to go counter to everyone and say the Gruden just slinks off and stays quiet for a long time. The NFL would definitely prefer for him to disappear and be forgotten.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
IDK, could get at least one more person if they are saying this on the actual NFL Network, plus many folks saying similar on ESPN. (please be Snyder)

https://twitter.com/jimtrotter_nfl/status/1448064545243779076?s=21

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Looks like CNN even got Bomani on.

(Nice placement for Emmy there too)

https://twitter.com/bomani_jones/status/1447951616250941446

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
what a dork

https://twitter.com/kevinmdraper/status/1448139296859299841

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bird in a Blender posted:

I’m going to go counter to everyone and say the Gruden just slinks off and stays quiet for a long time. The NFL would definitely prefer for him to disappear and be forgotten.

Wouldn't this depend on how much he will be paid to shut up and not speak up again?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Wouldn't this depend on how much he will be paid to shut up and not speak up again?

He isn’t getting a buyout on his contract, it’s been terminated for cause so he loses out on all the future earnings.

And yeah ultimately I’d imagine he does a couple interviews with the usual suspects but probably keeps a low profile beyond that. Who can say for sure these days though

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/IChotiner/status/1448094185349951489?t=D3PL7EGbe58RtJG0PCdw3g&s=19

I howled

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1448093899218620419

Jeff, no.

E: well he apologized which is more than I'd have expected

https://twitter.com/JeffPassan/status/1448123135019130881

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Chotiner is an A+ twitter follow.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
of course

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1448303871059714048?s=20

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

lmao

https://twitter.com/Kofie/status/1448330684360183809?t=ccgz0a9h9FM6BnI2tQdLaQ&s=19

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I mean, same, but Olbermann seems like the lesser of two evils here. The only reason to dislike Olbermann playing gatekeeper here is that 1) Rovell is probably just happy having more clicks and 2) Rovell will never, ever become a better human being in any appreciable way.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

let 'em fight

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Did Rovell ever do real journalism or is it all just press releases from brands and tweeting fake numbers about how much value a viral shot of a logo made a company?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Niwrad posted:

Did Rovell ever do real journalism or is it all just press releases from brands and tweeting fake numbers about how much value a viral shot of a logo made a company?

He did! He used to do actual articles on contracts and how things impacted the business side. Some of them were actually interesting. He just got drowned in the koolaid like 10 years or so ago.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

DJExile posted:

His termination was pretty clearly going to be For Cause regardless of whether he officially resigned or was fired.

Would a morals clause really encompass things he did before he worked there? I feel like he probably got paid to go away, even if it was nowhere near the value of the contract.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah early Rovell was honestly a good and rare look into how a lot of licensing contracts worked.

Sinteres posted:

Would a morals clause really encompass things he did before he worked there? I feel like he probably got paid to go away, even if it was nowhere near the value of the contract.

It's possible. Such clauses could also be a "any current/past actions or items that come to light that reflect negatively on the team..." sort of thing.

At the very most, he was paid the rest of this season's pay, but any for-cause terminations usually mean your pay is cut off as soon as that's official.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 13, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think he was ever all that useful but Twitter completely broke his brain and made him way worse he was just kind of a harmless boring dork before that

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Once in a while he posts something insightful about business of sports but 99% of the time it’s NFTs or gambling hype.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/JimmyPrinceton/status/1448290327345958915?t=KNIFPzs2BpAhohqoqNftsg&s=19

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ESPNPR/status/1448392120893640706

lmao

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Rovell is entirely non-essential, but his stuff is merely symptomatic of how hosed the modern business of sports in the western hemisphere are. I don't like his stuff, but I'm pretty sure I could come up with 1,000 things worse about sports coverage than his twitter account.

Also, I say western hemisphere, because over in Eurasia you have nations buying up soccer teams to make themselves look good the way Andrew Carnegie used to build libraries so people wouldn't immediately think of how many workers he murdered when they heard his name mentioned.

Also^2 - I am really enjoying both Schefter and Shams eat poo poo at the exact same time. Their style of journalism is entirely hosed up, pointless, and actively harmful to journalism.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I was just doing my due dilligrncevby sending my article to be edited by one side is a hell of statement to make

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
He didn’t even put it on his own Twitter feed so most folks won’t even know. Also the statement doesn’t have alt text and doesn’t link to a website, so it will disappear into the ether. fuckin cowards

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

He's done like, exactly that before hasn't he? I know I've seen him getting QTed by people not primarily from baseball or even sports about more or less the same thing before.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I know that if I’m asking someone to verify some facts I always refer to them as Mr. Editor

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Nybble posted:

He didn’t even put it on his own Twitter feed so most folks won’t even know. Also the statement doesn’t have alt text and doesn’t link to a website, so it will disappear into the ether. fuckin cowards

What if someone sold an NFT of it? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, I say western hemisphere, because over in Eurasia you have nations buying up soccer teams to make themselves look good the way Andrew Carnegie used to build libraries so people wouldn't immediately think of how many workers he murdered when they heard his name mentioned.
I hate to be "Well actually" guy here, but Carnegie was well-known for his love of reading and if he was that worried about washing his reputation he would have just built a few libraries in major cities and complemented them with bribes/grants, not three thousand of them and a fully-funded rural literacy program on top of it.

Dude was a ruthless monopolist who believed in crushing any competition and he also happened to think everyone should have access to books and rich people should give all of their money away. Pieces about him can make for honestly strange reading because of all the contradictions.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

He's done like, exactly that before hasn't he? I know I've seen him getting QTed by people not primarily from baseball or even sports about more or less the same thing before.
Phrasing things poorly like that? I'm 99% positive he has.