Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

They finally stopped at 180 ships in the regular collection. I still need to get about 20 more to complete the set.

I also actively collect 1:18 diecast cars. Mostly TV & movie cars.

Some oddball things are multiple copies/formats of the Elcletric Light Orchestra's Out of the Blue and the movie Blade Runner.

It kinda sucks that their line of stuff for Modern Trek is like twice the size of their Classic Trek lineup. I got the Discovery Enterprise because it's a badass redesign of the TOS version and it's loving huge compared to the rest of the stuff on my bookshelf. I hope they make one for the Cerritos from Lower Decks, that's about only other one I can see myself getting at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Mister Kingdom posted:

....and the movie Blade Runner.

I found it on Betamax at an estate sale, I think I'm only missing Laser Disc now.

And whatever that giant floppy disc format is, though I don't know if Blade Runner was released on that.

EDIT: vvvvvvv gently caress!!

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Oct 13, 2021

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I found it on Betamax at an estate sale, I think I'm only missing Laser Disc now.

And whatever that giant floppy disc format is, though I don't know if Blade Runner was released on that.

Are you talking about the CED format that RCA did in the 80s? Yes, it was released on that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Lmao. All the different cuts of Blade Runner, and all the different formats. It's my favorite movie of all time and I'm glad I didn't fall into the hole of collecting that.

I pity you and I'm simultaneously jealous.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Christ, it’s probably easier to list what I *don’t* collect. :suicide: I have a lot of poo poo.

Probably the most unique thing I collect is Weird War II alt-history occult super-science poo poo. I arguably have the largest library on this topic on the planet - comics, novels, video games, movies, tabletop miniatures games, RPGs, fiction, non-fiction, small-press conspiracy-theory poo poo, you name it I’ve got it. I’m in the middle of re-cataloguing everything, and someday I’d like to write a book on the genre.

I’ve got a lot of Transformers - like 870-ish at last count. I don’t just buy every Transformer just to spend money, I’m reasonably selective but there have just been a LOT of Transformers in the last 35+ years.

I collect stuff for certain fictional characters - Red Sonja, and Marvel’s Black Cat and She-Hulk specifically. Figures, statues, miniatures, bobble heads, trading cards, all kinds of stuff.

I have a collection of retro video game consoles - one day I decided to see how many retro video game consoles I could hook up to my TV at once and how cleanly I could do it with the best signal quality possible, and the answer ended up being 13 consoles.

Chaining off of the consoles, I jokingly collect copies of OG Doom in different formats. I only have it in formats I can actually play, though. :v:

I have a lot of random action figures - a lot of Marvel Legends, some DC stuff, some video game stuff, movie characters for movies I like, Star Wars 3.75” stuff, Alien and Predator stuff, a lot of Jurassic Park/Jurassic World dinosaurs, a little bit of everything.

I’ve got a pretty good sized collection of original comic book pin-up art and sketches and stuff, sketch cards, things like that.

I’ve got a shitload of DVDs and Blu-ray’s that I’ve acquired over the years; I only buy movies I like and that I intend to watch repeatedly, I don’t just buy movies just to own them. I like getting “unique” packaging when possible - steelbooks, digibooks, stuff like that.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Old 8 and 16bit or pre-2000 computers.

Focusing mainly on 6502 powered 8 bits like the Apple // Platinum, Commodore 64, Commodore 128 and Atari 800XL.

16 bit computers I own are: Atari 520STFM, Atari 1040STe and Amiga A500 Plus

One 32bit computer I own is an Amiga 1200 with an 030 accelerator in it

Two IBM compatible PCs - Commodore 486SLC and a clone PII 266MHz running Windows 98SE

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
I’ve collected this and that over the years (MtG being a big one) but here’s what I’ve been into lately.

Mostly older TTRPG books - lots of 2nd edition D&D plus a newer system called Dungeon Crawl Classics

Cassettes - analog audio I can play in the truck!

Old-school MMA VHS tapes.

VCR crew checking in

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Our collection of board games, RPG books, and Kpop stuff

Not pictured: pretty good science related non-fiction shelves.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I have a fair number of video games. I am in the process of moving, they are all boxed up and not on display. I got into it before the prices got ridiculous, and got most of what I wanted outside of a few gems. My local game store had Earthbound, EVO, and Harvest Moon. I told myself I would buy all three when I graduated, but somebody scooped them before that.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I am extraordinarily proud of my mantlepiece of tat. It’s a collection me and my children have built up over the years, mostly from charity shops, some they made. I am 42.

Bird corner with Victorian HP sauce bottle and squirrel print. Maleficent castle mug, mr pig, the Nile. Jaunty man. Stamps from my Birth week, wrendale cards with rabbit. Daughter made 3D printed Pokemon, Son made snail. Jaunty Lady. Maleficent witch mug, otter plate, peacock vase. Mr Duck. Spanial plate, happy trans gnome riding a unicorn. Pirate milk jug. Daughter made gargoyle.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008
calculator nerds: what are your thoughts on swiss micros? I bought an hp 12c some tome ago and it’s been pretty helpful. I like RPN and I really want one of these repros of HP’s more ‘serious’ calculators but I’m not sure how much use I’ll get out of it unless I really get into the program side of things.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I suppose it counts as a collection. I have some books.

I have probably twice this many books but my house isn't big enough to put up the shelves needed to put them all in, and I keep acquiring more.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I collect rocks, which is right up there with stamps in terms of the most boring possible thing to collect.

At least some of the rocks I collect are radioactive, so that's exciting I guess.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

I have probably twice this many books but my house isn't big enough to put up the shelves needed to put them all in, and I keep acquiring more.

:eyepop:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
7 pages and I'd hoped some cool sneakerhead would've emerged by now.

Guessing Venn diagram overlap with goons is pretty slim.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I like looking at people’s comic book collections. A bit surprised there isn’t more omnibuses or comic related statues around.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Went and took some Hot Rock Pix for y'all. I keep the spicy rocks in this lead-lined box I made myself. It's kinda overkill, none of the rocks are dangerous or anything unless you try to eat them, but it was fun to make.

Some Spicy Rocks:

Thorite, a mineral containing thorium.

Monazite, which also contains thorium as well as some rare earth metals.

Thorium ores tend to look a bit like poop for some reason.

Pitchblende, the primary ore of uranium. Just looks like a boring rock.

However, Other minerals containing uranium are actually very pretty:

Here's my most interesting non-spicy rock, it's a banded iron formation containing a stromatolite fossil. Basically, this rock was formed about two billion years ago when some bacteria decided that photosynthesis was cool and good. Up until this point, the atmosphere and oceans had no free oxygen in them, so all the iron on the earth was in metallic form. As oxygen started to accumulate, it would bind with the iron and fall to the bottom of the ocean as rust, making these banded iron formations. Eventually, the free iron ran out, and those plucky little photosynthetic bacteria managed to kill nearly all life on earth since nothing was capable of dealing with oxygen yet.

This particular rock also contains a fossil of a bacterial mat known as a stromatolite, which is the squiggly shapes. So not only is it evidence of one of the greatest mass killings in earth's history, it's also got a fossil of the creatures that were killed (or maybe the creatures that did the killing, who knows)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Uhhhh handhelds I guess

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Locator posted:

how can you find anything if the books aren't sorted by color?

j/k

those are a nice set of bookshelves!

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I collect dust!

I also collect weird artwork and posters. Mondo stuff, commissions from artists. Ectera ectera

night slime
May 14, 2014
Cumsocks

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Got any pics?

night slime
May 14, 2014
No I think the government can zoom in on my DNA which I'd rather not expose.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
God I'm another what haven't I collected type. Which is why I've taken to the philosophy of holding out for fewer but more expensive/desirable objects as well as sun setting a few collections that I don't have the space to display or the novelty/fun factor wore out on.

Thus I've stopped with playing card decks, single issue comics, anime/game figures, vintage cameras, dice and miniature stuff. I've scaled way back on pokemon cards, lapel pins, and records and nearly have stopped with retro video games too. My current plan is to re arrange a couple of shelves so I can get some of this crap on display. I've started by setting out my boxed Kirby games to see how I like it.

Also I nearly forgot about my massive paperweight collection since it's been years since I've added to it. That fills an entire cabinet by itself and I had to put some of the lame ones in storage because there wasn't enough space. I'll have to nab pics of poo poo later, when I'm not phone shitposting.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I guess I could consider my RC Cars a "collection"? I don't have photos of all of them:

These are the ones that get driven the most. I have 20 something different models ranging from small (1/24) up through large scale (1/5). Some new in box/unbuilt. The crawlers and the large scale cars see the most use.

Other things?
Cuff links. probably 25 pairs.
Fountain pens, maybe ten or so.

My wife for some reason collects the Disney Pixar Cars mini racers in the blind boxes (the little diecast) and the Hotwheels Mariokart diecast cars. Why she is into them? I have no idea. She would buy doubles so the kids could play with one and the other gets stuck in a tote and put in a closet for? Future? Investment?....(???)

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
I have a world class collection of Jack Chick tracts.

I also have pretty decent collections of goofy old comic books, 70's custom van magazines, banned toys, 50's and 60's civil defense paraphernalia, and whatever else I happen to think is cool. And a ton of horrific Jar Jar Binks collectables because they are cheap, other people hate them, and they make me squeal with joy (internally) because I am a weirdo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

obi_ant posted:

I like looking at people’s comic book collections. A bit surprised there isn’t more omnibuses or comic related statues around.

I got you, fam. I’ve got a lot of comics and statues and poo poo.

Does the Awful app let you upload pics from your iPhone yet? I know that feature has been broken for forever, or I’d post some pics.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Xenomrph posted:

I got you, fam. I’ve got a lot of comics and statues and poo poo.

Does the Awful app let you upload pics from your iPhone yet? I know that feature has been broken for forever, or I’d post some pics.

It does but it doesn’t seem to work with photos you take yourself, I think because Apple changed the format that photos save as. I just upload to Imgur

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I appreciate how many of these look like pictures from car commercials. Teeny, tiny car commercials :3:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

so much goddamn dust

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I guess I could consider my RC Cars a "collection"? I don't have photos of all of them:

These are the ones that get driven the most. I have 20 something different models ranging from small (1/24) up through large scale (1/5). Some new in box/unbuilt. The crawlers and the large scale cars see the most use.

Other things?
Cuff links. probably 25 pairs.
Fountain pens, maybe ten or so.

My wife for some reason collects the Disney Pixar Cars mini racers in the blind boxes (the little diecast) and the Hotwheels Mariokart diecast cars. Why she is into them? I have no idea. She would buy doubles so the kids could play with one and the other gets stuck in a tote and put in a closet for? Future? Investment?....(???)

I build a lot of the Tamiya models and when I was in japan I went to the Tamiya store. The rc car section was really tempting me to become an RC guy.

Empty Pockets
Jun 11, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It does but it doesn’t seem to work with photos you take yourself, I think because Apple changed the format that photos save as. I just upload to Imgur

It works, that's how I did my photos.

Guacala
Jul 19, 2009

I collect local mining artifacts. Old rail road spikes, telegraphs, letters, and maps.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Shame Boy posted:

I collect rocks, which is right up there with stamps in terms of the most boring possible thing to collect.

At least some of the rocks I collect are radioactive, so that's exciting I guess.

I think rock collections are awesome and exciting, but then I collect stamps so

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I collect baseball autographs, which is mostly signed cards and baseballs. I have other items but not as many as I have of those two things. Roughly 100-200ish baseballs, about 5000ish signed cards. In this collection I generally try and collect baseball HOFer autographs which are probably like 300+ items by itself, about 240ish unique members. Those items vary from signed cards to signed baseballs, player contracts, photos, letters, index cards, checks, cut signatures, etc.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

The Locator posted:

gat drat that's a library lol nice

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Guacala posted:

I collect local mining artifacts. Old rail road spikes, telegraphs, letters, and maps.

gently caress yes insulators! My mother and I have an extensive collection of those on the upper windowsills of the back room. They look great with the sun shining through them but of course I can't take a pic now because it's dark out. So I'll make due with some quick and dirty highlights of my paperweights in extremely yellow lighting.

Why yes I live in a black hole of a house why do you ask? (It's always been a serious pain getting enough light for photos of my stuff with out pulling out my proper photography poo poo and setting it all up).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Do you upload on your phone? Because that seems like a pain in the rear end.

shame on an IGA posted:

so much goddamn dust

Dusting is for suckers

Empty Pockets posted:

It works, that's how I did my photos.

Are you on an iPhone? I just tried and it didn’t want to work. :saddowns:

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
Excuse me, they're not action figures, they're dolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

HellOnEarth posted:

Excuse me, they're not action figures, they're dolls.

God drat those are cool. My partner has most of the originals.