Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Kibayasu posted:

Yeah 20-30 years ago a single major riot, no matter what caused it, in an urban centre felt like a big deal. Now? Uh…

if you televised a swat team taking out a bunch of armed protesters most people would probably just be like "yeehaw!" hell, even if they were unarmed. ..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

The Orville isn’t Star Trek, obviously. It’s moulded after the good bits people like in Star Trek.

Imagine a sportsman. He has a good win rate. You video all the times he did good with the ball and got the points. And you put it in a robot. The robot was based on only the good parts of the sportsman so it should be great. It holds its arms just like he does when he wins. And the robot can play the game but not to an international standard. Because when the man fails to score it’s not because he was doing the wrong thing. It’s because he was taking a risk based on a deeper understanding of what was happening and it didn’t pay off but when it didn’t he learned something important and advanced the game to a place he could achieve something important.

To his wife, the robot isn’t Star Trek. To the manager it isn’t Star Trek. To a fan in the audience, it can probably fool them for a little bit because he does the pose and everything. When the game is over though it isn’t Star Trek. It’s cool and an awesome tribute to Star Trek but it’s no replacement.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

but it’s no replacement.

Counter argument:

yes it is. It's totally fine Trek.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bortus owns and rip norm macdonald blob guy

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

CainFortea posted:

Counter argument:

yes it is. It's totally fine Trek.

If you’re willing to accept its Trek without any of Trek’s setting, characters, driving theme or central thesis, kind of. There’s no prime directive, phasers, psychics, warp cores, Vulcans, Klingon, Borg, Cardassians, Ferengi or Federation. But moreover, Star Trek’s goal was mostly, discover out how to be Star Trek. The Orville goal is to competently execute on those specific discoveries. Which it does a great job of.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Every time I see pictures or video of The Orville it just comes off like a well-funded fan project to me. Which it kind of is.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Star Trek is all about Gene Roddenberry wanting to tell stories of people in the future trying to have sex and The Orville is very star trek.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

chaosbreather posted:

If you’re willing to accept its Trek without any of Trek’s setting, characters, driving theme or central thesis, kind of. There’s no prime directive, phasers, psychics, warp cores, Vulcans, Klingon, Borg, Cardassians, Ferengi or Federation. But moreover, Star Trek’s goal was mostly, discover out how to be Star Trek. The Orville goal is to competently execute on those specific discoveries. Which it does a great job of.

To me, Trek is about hope for the future and seeing how the versions of us deal with issues that effect us today, through the lens of seeing it in alien cultures. It doesn't have to literally be named Star Trek.

TOS didn't have borg, cardassians, or ferengi. It's still trek.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Lexx is a much better Star Trek than Orville

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

The shower is the Yoga Corridor of Lexx

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cthulu Carl posted:

this guy gets it

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cthulu Carl posted:

edit: put that gif behind a spoiler for potential NSFW

mycomancy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 14, 2021

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

huh, look at that.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

As an Enterprise watcher all I see is a space traveler decontaminating after an excursion on a strange new world, nothing unusual here

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

chaosbreather posted:

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
How the hell have I never heard of Lexx. I love me some Farscape and this seems that same kind of insanity?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lexx is a step beyond Farscape in insanity and the final season of Lexx is full tilt crazypants

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiberius Christ posted:

that's why they had to change one of the actresses

Uhh, what?

mycomancy posted:

edit: put that gif behind a spoiler for potential NSFW

Just as a general fyi; You want to link, rather than spoiler-tag, NSFW stuff, because it still goes into their browser cache.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The actress playing the security officer at first ended up dating Seth McFarland, and then they broke up, and then she left the show. I don't think anyone came flat out to say that's why she left, but it's heavily implied.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

The actress playing the security officer at first ended up dating Seth McFarland, and then they broke up, and then she left the show. I don't think anyone came flat out to say that's why she left, but it's heavily implied.

Oh, I never heard about that! I always assumed she got a larger role elsewhere.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
not dating seth mcfarlane is a better role.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Yeah I think I would've watched The Orville by now if Seth McFarlane wasn't also the lead. As a voice actor he's fine but his face is just incredibly unlikeable.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I never heard about that! I always assumed she got a larger role elsewhere.

She did, she was on Prodigal Son. But I do wonder if her relations with Seth made it an easier choice to move on.

Amusingly, Prodigal Son had its entire two-season existence -- creation, production, release, cancellation -- in the time we've been waiting for season 3 of The Orville to come out already. :v:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I always wondered why they replaced a character with a nearly identical character, that'll do it

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

I always wondered why they replaced a character with a nearly identical character, that'll do it

You can tell that something sudden happened behind the scenes, because there's a lot of inertia in the early/mid series writing where they've clearly ctrl-f'd "Alara Kitan" and ctrl-v'd "Talla Keyali" in its place.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Powered Descent posted:

She did, she was on Prodigal Son. But I do wonder if her relations with Seth made it an easier choice to move on.

Amusingly, Prodigal Son had its entire two-season existence -- creation, production, release, cancellation -- in the time we've been waiting for season 3 of The Orville to come out already. :v:

The first season of that show was fun. Second one was dogshit from a dogs rear end tho

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i loving love lexx

give me more pattern

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chaosbreather posted:

The Orville isn’t Star Trek, obviously. It’s moulded after the good bits people like in Star Trek.

Orville is one entertainment company takeover away from becoming an alternative timeline/dimension to the rest of the Star Trek shows.

EDIT: The Mouse probably already has access to some TNG assets because of the Xmen/TNG crossover comics.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 14, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Fishstick posted:

How the hell have I never heard of Lexx. I love me some Farscape and this seems that same kind of insanity?

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Lexx is a step beyond Farscape in insanity and the final season of Lexx is full tilt crazypants

Lexx is a couple of steps beyond Farscape imo. It's like the same premise, escaped prisoners steal a ship and have adventures, except the ship is a Death Star level superweapon.

And boy do they use it. Repeatedly. And that's just a small detail in the craziness of the show.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lexx is one of a handful of productions that fully justified the funding they received from the governments of Canada and Germany and one of the only things that stirrs anything resembling national pride in me

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Tighclops posted:

Lexx is one of a handful of productions that fully justified the funding they received from the governments of Canada and Germany and one of the only things that stirrs anything resembling national pride in me

Make Lexx both countries national Anthem. Don't know how that would work, but they should do it anyway.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Make Lexx both countries national Anthem. Don't know how that would work, but they should do it anyway.

One should have the Fight Song of the Brunnen-G

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

imagine if colin mochrie was stanley tweedle

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

GolfHole posted:

It'd be hard for me to see him as sleazy as Stanley was.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe after all that set up the spy gets caught and killed by loving Neelix.

How embarrassing for him

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Today's Lower Decks was good Star Trek.

Also, nice to see the Excelsior class is still getting work.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Looks like Amazon is doing preorders for DS9 DVDs coming next month. Buy em now before paramount + holds the show hostage

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

GolfHole posted:

The dude who played Mr Lahey in Trailer Park Boys had a very brief non speaking role in the first tv movie

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gutcruncher posted:

Looks like Amazon is doing preorders for DS9 DVDs coming next month. Buy em now before paramount + holds the show hostage

Is this just a re-issue? Anything new or special about this one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

chaosbreather posted:

Being free from 50 years of lore isn't bad tho. They can have the alien do stuff without people saying "that isn't how a real [klingon/cardassian/whatever] would do that, and why did they redesign their ears it looks stupid."

And taking a different approach than the Prime Directive isn't bad either. They've mostly set the bar for first contact back to "attempts to communicate" rather than "reaches warp speed" and they have reasons for that. And sometimes the PD would get silly, like the times trek would wring their hands about whether it was better to let an entire pre-warp species die, or help them and potentially interfere with their natural development.

An alternate universe where the scifi tropes can be told anew.

Anyway, The Orville is startrek in the same way that Galaxy Quest is startrek.